HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:18 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I haven’t had a chance to watch last nights game (but I will). All I can say is coming out on the losing end of these extremely close games to the Bombers & Lions is getting frustrating. I’m hoping 4th try against the Bombers will be the charm this year.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:30 PM

Lower bowl close to full this morning for lions game against riders tonight looking like 23000 or so on ticketmaster right now still 2 or 3 thousand available by looks of things. Argos looks around 12 or 13000 tonight

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Lower bowl close to full this morning for lions game against riders tonight looking like 23000 or so on ticketmaster right now still 2 or 3 thousand available by looks of things. Argos looks around 12 or 13000 tonight
Both embarrassing crowds. Like when the Bombers get below 26k we all shit our pants lol.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 7:21 PM

BC is improving and they have a very small season ticket base i give them slack they will only get better. Toronto i put the blame squarely on mlse laziness. Montreal and BC crowds have been coming back recently due to good and passionate owners.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 5:02 AM

BC now down to its 3rd quarterback.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 2:25 PM

Lions need to swing a trade for a QB pronto either Adams or somebody. Playoffs look set now with Sask as east crossover team as TiCats look done re signing Evans as QB was a big mistake.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 4:44 PM
Community Guy

Elks with a huge opportunity to get back into things and our first home win in 13.

Also, so want this!

From here:
https://www.proamsports.ca/collectio...replica-helmet

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 7:21 PM

Watching on fox right now college football where they have Nebraska playing Northwestern in Dublin Ireland at Aviva Stadium and looks close to a sellout. If the CFL is serious about its global initiative maybe it should play one or 2 games a year either in Europe or Mexico.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...d/10311802002/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 7:24 PM

Argos 14963 attendance last night their best crowd in a long time.

https://twitter.com/1CFLAtt/status/1...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

WEEK 12 📊

WBB - 30,062
TOR - 14,963
BC Lions - 23,129
EElks - if they can get over 23,000... it'll be a good AVG wk for CFL at 22,000+

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 3:01 AM

Oh boy elks lose to Ottawa they might go 4 years straight without a home win has that ever even happened in sports?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 3:25 AM
Community Guy

What the shit was that effort.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 5:31 AM

Quote:
eelks - if they can get over 23,000... It'll be a good avg wk for cfl at 22,000+

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 2:08 PM
arf

2-2 for 33-14.

The games I missed.

Impressive Edmonton. Impressive.

Almost 500 yards of offence for Saskatchewan, but only 23 points. Almost doubled the yards of BC and only won by 7. Lots of yards and lots of punts. Good day for Fajardo though with a great completion rate, but this team needs to score some points. 7 quarterback sacks allowed is pretty poor.

Anyway. Labour Day.

Ottawa @ Montreal
Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan
Toronto @ Hamilton
Edmonton @ Calgary

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Argos 14963 attendance last night their best crowd in a long time.
Argo attendance has improved by 1k per game for the past three games, they're not dead yet.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 5:08 PM

Stern stepping away from Alouettes
Minority owner stepping away from day-to-day operations with the franchise and resigning from his role with the CFL’s board of governors, Dave Naylor writes.
Dave Naylor TSN Football Insider August 29 2022

It appears the Montreal Alouettes are once again in the market for a new owner.

Outspoken minority owner Gary Stern is stepping away from day-to-day operations with the club and resigning from his role with the Canadian Football League’s board of governors, effective immediately.

Stern, who was also the team’s CEO, purchased the club in partnership with his late father-in-law Sid Spiegel in January of 2019. Spiegel passed away just over a year ago.

With Stern as 25 per cent owner, Spiegel’s passing put his 75 per cent share of the Alouettes under control of his estate.

The settlement of that estate remains a complicated matter, and it’s believed Stern has received little co-operation when it comes to matters concerning the Alouettes.

Stern will retain his share of the team but all other involvement with the club is over. By Monday morning, his previously active Twitter account had been deactivated.

While the league will undoubtedly need a new owner for its Montreal franchise, the current ownership remains in place at this time.

The league, which was informed of Stern’s intentions just recently, must now find a new owner for a franchise it operated at a significant loss for a full season in 2019. Stern and Spiegel took over roughly three months before the COVID-19 pandemic ground the league’s operations to a halt, forcing the cancellation of the 2020 season.

Stern has been publicly enthusiastic about the Alouettes, including a significant presence on social media. But as one person close to him put it, “This isn’t what he signed up for.”

Stern, who lives in Southern Ontario, is the CEO of Crawford Steel, the company founded by his late father-in-law.

Stern bought into the Alouettes at the urging of his longtime friend Dale Lastman, lawyer and director of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Toronto Argonauts. Lastman served as chair of the CFL board of governors from December of 2019 until February of 2022, when it was announced he was stepping down.

The CFL has been working with investment bankers to create an inventory of potential owners for expansion, or existing franchises, should they be needed.

The Alouettes were owned by Robert Wetenhall and his family from 1997 until 2018, at which time the league took over team operations while searching for a new owner. Wetenhall’s ownership oversaw a period of consistent on-field success up until 2013, during which time Percival Molson Stadium was expanded from roughly 20,000 seats to roughly 25,000.

Montreal recently drew its biggest home crowd of the season, announced at 21,024, while averaging between 16,000 and 17,000 fans per game.

It has been reported that the Alouettes lost $12 million in their final season under Wetenhall. It’s believed the other eight CFL teams had to commit roughly $1 million each to keep the team afloat under league ownership in 2019, some of which was refunded when Stern and Spiegel bought the team.

Stern told the Montreal Gazette last December that the team’s 2021 deficit was “higher than expected.”

The Alouettes are 4-6 on the season and host Ottawa this Friday.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 5:10 PM

Gary Stern stepping down as head of Alouettes on board of governors will retain his 25% ownership of the club but the estate of late owner Sid Spiegals 75% share up for sale. Here we go again not sure if Eric Lapointe group would be interested again or maybe Saputo or Bronfman? I don't think at this point Molson Stadium is viable long term with its lack of suites and amenities to be profitable.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Argo attendance has improved by 1k per game for the past three games, they're not dead yet.
That's because argo tickets gets a free pass to the CNE fair it always causes a mini bump in ticket sales.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
That's because argo tickets gets a free pass to the CNE fair it always causes a mini bump in ticket sales.
I don't know if that had any effect last year.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Gary Stern stepping down as head of Alouettes on board of governors will retain his 25% ownership of the club but the estate of late owner Sid Spiegals 75% share up for sale. Here we go again not sure if Eric Lapointe group would be interested again or maybe Saputo or Bronfman? I don't think at this point Molson Stadium is viable long term with its lack of suites and amenities to be profitable.
You don't want Joey Saputo involved, I don't think the stadium is the issue.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 8:24 PM

I am baffled why the league took on Spiegel as main owner and money man in 2019 when he was 90 years old. Lapointe is in his 30s and a potential local owner did not make sense to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada