HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 8:07 PM

Humbled. ...my fault. .forgive me....

Last edited by Evac en Grand Coteau; Jul 2, 2014 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 9:42 PM

Bywater Townhomes?

A friend that lives in the Bywater told me there was an NPP meeting last week about a proposal for townhomes on Burgundy between Alvar and Bartholomew (former 5th District Police parking lot). She didn't know much though, anyone have any intel?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 9:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbydesign View Post
A friend that lives in the Bywater told me there was an NPP meeting last week about a proposal for townhomes on Burgundy between Alvar and Bartholomew (former 5th District Police parking lot). She didn't know much though, anyone have any intel?
I know Habitat for Humanity is doing something like that in the area so perhaps that is it.

City Planning Commission votes to allow development of new herbal shop in Mid-City

A request for a zoning change from a residential district to a neighborhood business district for a Mid-City property on Toulouse Street was approved by City Planning Commission, despite numerous neighbors who spoke in opposition to the plan at a meeting Tuesday afternoon.

Harry P. Becnel, III, the owner of the building located at 3201 Toulouse Street, wants to put in a new business, Rosalie Apothecary, in his property, he said at the meeting. Owned by Christiane Wurmstedt, the shop would “be a place where people can purchase in bulk high quality medicinal herbs, culinary spices, a wide selection of black, green and red teas as well as herbal remedies,” according to a letter from Wurmstedt found in the application.

That address on Toulouse already has an unused commercial space in it, according to the application presented to commissioners, but the space is only 500 square feet big. In order to increase the space, Becnel asked for the zoning change, which would allow up to 5,000 square feet of commercial space to be developed at the area.

http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/06/...arver-theater/

West Elm sets a July 24 New Orleans opening date

Mark your shopping calendar: The long anticipated West Elm will open on July 24.

A contemporary furniture and home decor brand in the Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn chain, West Elm was launched in 2003, and is currently booming. It has 58 stores — 51 in the United States and others in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. Locally, with renovations that included the addition of a 1,899-square-foot second story onto the building at 2929 Magazine St. (the former location of Pippen Lane), architects have carved out about 9,820 square feet for the New Orleans store.

http://www.nola.com/fashion/index.ss....html#comments

Plans on track for passenger rail between Baton Rouge and New Orleans

In five years, Baton Rouge residents could possibly buy a rail ticket downtown and hop the train to catch a New Orleans Saints game at the Mercedes Benz Superdome.

But since the latest rail plans are still in early stages, Baton Rouge Area Foundation Executive Vice President John Spain begged a Smart Growth Summit audience at the Manship Theatre on Tuesday not to hold him to that timeframe.

During a session examining potential for rail in Louisiana, Spain gave the five-year estimate with hesitation to a question from the audience, adding: “Don’t quote me on that.”

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge...ssenger_r.html

What's in Store For The Original Schwegmann's Site in Bywater?

Put the vacant building at the corner of Piety and Burgundy Streets on your rehab radar. The Bywater site where the Schwegmann's supermarket legacy began with Schwegmann's Grocery and Bar in 1869, is finally seeing some action. Lights are on, workers are hammering away at the rotten wood on the Burgundy Street side of the structure, and a tipster wrote in, curious about the end result. The city's One Stop App website for permits and licensing shows that a work permit was filed June 15 and it looks like a market could be in the building's future. The 7,500-square-foot mixed-use property, which includes the ground floor commercial space and two second-floor apartments, sold for $350,000 in 2011 to 901 Piety St. LLC (Tracy Williams is listed as the manager). Once up for demo by neglect and slapped with multiple blight and minimum maintenance violations, the proposed work calls for roof repairs, replacing the rotting wood with new siding, and slapping some gutters on that baby. Have some inside dirt on the redevelopment of 901 Piety St.? Hit up the tipline, anonymity guaranteed.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 3:30 AM
TL;DR

I agree but the railroad bridge over the Atchafalaya between BR and Lafayette is long gone. The state would have to rebuild it for a few hundred million dollars.

Maybe if the first line is REALLY successful...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 1:25 PM
life is good

Yeah I was going to say the first step to me would be to make the LA to NOLA train daily instead of 3x a week. And from there maybe do a corridor type service (twice a day to start- morning and evening departures each way?) Lafayette to NOLA on those tracks.

Wouldn't be perfect but it's a start and would have solid ridership imo.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:49 PM
-

300 Julia St, suite 360·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 0DKZT8
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Jeff Woeste
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/26/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Tenant fit-out of existing unoccupied shell for a new A-2 World of Beer restaurant. Work includes tenant fit-out of architectural, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical construction. The information contained within pertains solely to architectural, plumbing, mechanical and electrical documentation and construction.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 7:29 PM
life is good

http:// http://www.nola.com/business..._river_default
N.o. area construction contracts down in May and for the whole year (not good...)

St. Chaz streetcar repairs nearly finished
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...elated_stories

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
http:// http://www.nola.com/business..._river_default
N.o. area construction contracts down in May and for the whole year (not good...)

St. Chaz streetcar repairs nearly finished
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...elated_stories
I've been thinking things were cooling down... sigh. And if Jindal keeps it up, we won't even have the hipsters.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 9:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I've been thinking things were cooling down... sigh. And if Jindal keeps it up, we won't even have the hipsters.

Thats just how that goes ... it ebbs and flows.

Plans for championship-level golf course underway for City Park

Plans to build a tournament-level golf course at City Park are now underway after numerous delays in prior years had held back building plans. Members of the City Park Improvement Association confirmed at a meeting Tuesday evening that the state legislature had approved plans for a second golf course to go out to bid for construction in the coming months.

“This is extremely good news for us, considering that the money for this golf course was appropriated in 2004,” City Park CEO Bob Becker said.

The construction of the golf course, which will cost roughly $24 million, was supposed to begin last year, according to articles in NOLA.com|The Times Picayune. FEMA had given the project a green light by last July, pending review of damage claims of the courses, which the agency estimated at about $6.1 million.

http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/06/...for-city-park/

NEW ORLEANS MUSIC FINALLY ARRIVES AT THE LOUIS ARMSTRONG AIRPORT
New Orleans musicians will now have another steady gig to look forward to: the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (call letters “MSY”) will begin presenting consistent performances by local musicians and bands at the airport in four different locations.

In the past, live music was a sometime thing at the airport and was hired to meet a group arriving at the airport, or for a special event. But there’s never been a place for people at the airport to listen to live music in a regular basis.

http://www.offbeat.com/2014/06/25/ne...trong-airport/

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 1:12 PM
life is good

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 9:32 PM
-

I think New Orleans has done much to change its image and it will continue to do so. Some of these articles are just so hysterical and dated. this isnt the 90s!

617 Julia St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Permit #14-20179-RNVN ·Ref Code: SVTD1Q
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
La Ciura LLC
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
6/27/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Addition of two walls for tenant build-out in unit 617 as per sketch.

500 St Maurice Ave·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: NB7GBZ
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Mark Gauchet
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
6/27/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Villa St. Maurice 5 story Home for the Aged

315 Julia St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: VHH61B
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Christopher Johnson
Permit Case Created
Date Filed:
6/25/2014 11:11:20 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Enclosing the existing exterior walkways servicing the guestrooms on floors 7 through 16.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 10:54 PM

Any chance, now that Starbucks has positioned itself on the corner of Canal and St. Charles, that the balcony on the Canal St side will be rebuilt?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DzhDDSkq8V...-20-1.exe.jpeg

Last edited by moved to mamou; Jun 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 7:42 PM
-

This has been a lot of work and I'm a bit exhausted so I won't be posting anymore . Take care guys !

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 7:58 PM
life is good

say it ain't so! You're a legend here.

Well, I hope you get some rest.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
This has been a lot of work and I'm a bit exhausted so I won't be posting anymore . Take care guys !
RIP SSP New Orleans

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 4:08 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evac en Grand Coteau View Post
I can't open the first link, the second link on the streetcars......?......Wasn't this done 14 years ago? Did the ties need replacing again?
Yeah, maybe the old ties went bad early or something. They are made from some kind of crazy tropical wood that's supposed to work okay underground.

Maybe they should switch to concrete or plastic? It is ridiculous that the streetcar line needs to be shut down for 3 years every 15 years.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 9:22 AM

I think Tennis has pulled a Forrest Gump... he's pretty tired, and he thinks he'll go home now.

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Jun 30, 2014 at 9:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
RIP SSP New Orleans
Maiiiiis non. He's addicted. He'll be back as soon as there's some bigger news.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 1:05 PM
le temps de la guérison

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Maiiiiis non. He's addicted. He'll be back as soon as there's some bigger news.
I think if he needs encouragement to continue, all he has to do is go back and look at the good job he did in the past and know it's appreciated by the vast majority. Yes, it's an addiction, but a very healthy addiction for doing something great for the local and extended (L exilés) community.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLjbMBpGDA&feature=kp

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 1:12 PM

Tennis' Departure

I suspect it is due to the large increase in blabbering on the blog in the last few weeks. If we return to a heavier focus on informative posts I think he would return.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations