HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
That link is a file on your personal drive, not a web address.
The link works for me.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 6:35 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Ugh. New computer with different settings. Fixed.
No problem, thanks. So it looks like they’re just planning on meeting the 20% set aside and making half of that (10%) with a little deeper income targeting. Much better financial sense if and when it happens.

I can’t believe it’s been so long with this site. But the last year and a half has been a bit of a time warp.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 12:57 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
After Demise of Post Office Development Deal, a Renewed Call Comes to Use 14-Acre Space for Homeless

The abrupt end of Prosper Portland’s development agreement on the 14-acre downtown U.S. Post Office site dealt the city an economic blow, but it could offer a solution to a vexing challenge for City Hall—where to site six “safe rest villages” the Portland City Council promised by year’s end.
...more at Willamette Week

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 4:05 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
...more at Willamette Week
Oh for Christ’s sake, could this town become any more dysfunctional?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 6:25 PM
BANNED

God this town is ridiculous

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 9:26 AM
A before E

So the solution is to make the Post Office site the new Shantytown District?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
So the solution is to make the Post Office site the new Shantytown District?

Can you believe it? What a disaster. And if you look at earlier posts I knew there was something fishy when this was taking forever to even get a demolition started.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 6:53 PM

Not good, but as a temporary shelter for the winter months, it could be a good thing. But parameters need to be set to keep the area from being a zone for panhandlers, drug abusers, and malcontents. Get the inhabitants on a schedule of work to clean up the area. Picking up trash, painting over graffiti, washing down the streets. Kind of like a Job Corp for the Homeless. If they refuse, they can leave the area, but malingering will not be allowed. Maybe set up bonuses for those who get the most done. And maybe, just maybe, promote the best to permanent jobs in the city, with housing. Just an idea. I'm probably not wording it right, but it could turn into a good program going forward.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 6:56 PM

And if that doesn't work, bus them to Texas, they seem to think they have all the answers.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
Not good, but as a temporary shelter for the winter months, it could be a good thing. But parameters need to be set to keep the area from being a zone for panhandlers, drug abusers, and malcontents. Get the inhabitants on a schedule of work to clean up the area. Picking up trash, painting over graffiti, washing down the streets. Kind of like a Job Corp for the Homeless. If they refuse, they can leave the area, but malingering will not be allowed. Maybe set up bonuses for those who get the most done. And maybe, just maybe, promote the best to permanent jobs in the city, with housing. Just an idea. I'm probably not wording it right, but it could turn into a good program going forward.
as long as its temporary I think its a good idea.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:28 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
as long as its temporary I think its a good idea.
But good luck keeping it temporary. Could you imagine the outcry from activist groups when they eventually attempt to remove the homeless when it’s to be developed?

I’m all for housing the homeless, but that area of town already has enough of a problem to cleanup without adding this to the heap.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:51 PM

Yeah, let's turn the Broadway Corridor into Skid Row, right next to and apart of the Pearl District that the City just spent decades revitalizing. This makes zero sense and will be met with massive opposition.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 10:59 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
I am with you on this if it is temporary. I do not worry about the old post office becoming a permanent homeless shelter. There have been plenty of temporary homeless shelters over the years in buildings in which other uses have been planned. Consider unleased office space downtown or the Convention Center which had temporary uses as shelter spaces. I do not see consideration of the old post office for emergency use as a sign of dysfunction. Rather, if City Council did NOT quickly consider its use for temporary shelter, then that would be a sign of dysfunction and zero leadership.

I also support your call for tight regulation of the post office as a shelter and putting its residents to work on trash removal and graffiti cleanup.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh View Post
i am with you on this if it is temporary. I do not worry about the old post office becoming a permanent homeless shelter. There have been plenty of temporary homeless shelters over the years in buildings in which other uses have been planned. Consider unleased office space downtown or the convention center which had temporary uses as shelter spaces. I do not see consideration of the old post office for emergency use as a sign of dysfunction. Rather, if city council did not quickly consider its use for temporary shelter, then that would be a sign of dysfunction and zero leadership.

I also support your call for tight regulation of the post office as a shelter and putting its residents to work on trash removal and graffiti cleanup.
+1

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 6:16 PM

In case y'all are not aware, a temporary shelter in the post office blocks would not be a significant change from the surround neighborhood. Currently, kitty corner to the Post Office Site- the block south of Bud Clark Commons and the Health Department HQ, is a temporary pallet house tiny home village. This sidewalk surrounding much of the area in the two-three blocks in all directions is largely covered in tents and other structures for unhoused folks. This makes sense - many receive services at both Bud Clark and the Health Department. Several blocks south of there is also central city concern and other resources. In the short term, the post office site makes a lot more sense for shelter for the actual homeless folks of Portland than Wapato ever has, because the Post Office site is actually where they currently reside and feel safe (well, as safe as possible).

This is not to say that I think it would be an improvement for the neighborhood, or wouldn't affect the pearl, but rather it would be an extension of the current status quo in that area, with the benefit of perhaps saving the lives of some of our less fortunate community members when the bad weather hits.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socinus View Post
In case y'all are not aware, a temporary shelter in the post office blocks would not be a significant change from the surround neighborhood. Currently, kitty corner to the Post Office Site- the block south of Bud Clark Commons and the Health Department HQ, is a temporary pallet house tiny home village. This sidewalk surrounding much of the area in the two-three blocks in all directions is largely covered in tents and other structures for unhoused folks. This makes sense - many receive services at both Bud Clark and the Health Department. Several blocks south of there is also central city concern and other resources. In the short term, the post office site makes a lot more sense for shelter for the actual homeless folks of Portland than Wapato ever has, because the Post Office site is actually where they currently reside and feel safe (well, as safe as possible).

This is not to say that I think it would be an improvement for the neighborhood, or wouldn't affect the pearl, but rather it would be an extension of the current status quo in that area, with the benefit of perhaps saving the lives of some of our less fortunate community members when the bad weather hits.
I agree 100%

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 1:12 PM

I've heard Wapato is pretty successful, because the people are far away from the Old Town scene in a more serene, peaceful environment. Anyone can check in, and after like 2 weeks they have a choice, either stay long term and go through drug treatment or leave. I know there are services that help people in Old Town but can that neighborhood really handle more? If we turned the post office into a giant shelter then I would love to see a camping ban in tandem. At some point we have to get that under control, especially considering there is sufficient shelter space coming up with these safe rest villages soon. Portland now spends more per capita on homeless services than anywhere in the nation with the tax we passed 2 years ago, which I want to be proud of. Hopefully we'll see real results.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 5:51 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I've heard Wapato is pretty successful, because the people are far away from the Old Town scene in a more serene, peaceful environment. Anyone can check in, and after like 2 weeks they have a choice, either stay long term and go through drug treatment or leave. I know there are services that help people in Old Town but can that neighborhood really handle more? If we turned the post office into a giant shelter then I would love to see a camping ban in tandem. At some point we have to get that under control, especially considering there is sufficient shelter space coming up with these safe rest villages soon. Portland now spends more per capita on homeless services than anywhere in the nation with the tax we passed 2 years ago, which I want to be proud of. Hopefully we'll see real results.
I agree with you, that were the post office and the six City tent city sites set up, Portland could likely meet the requirements of the 2018 federal court case (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_v._Boise) that is in effect in the western states. Portland could legally clear the sidewalks, ODOT freeway areas, underpasses, parks, etc. because the community will have provided adequate beds for all of the homeless folks in our fair city.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I've heard Wapato is pretty successful, because the people are far away from the Old Town scene in a more serene, peaceful environment.
No Wapato is successful because they serve a very low number of people that Helping Hands self-select. It's like private school scholarships for the homeless. What do you do with all the folks that aren't anywhere near equipped to deal with life due to our broken society? This is a national crisis, we just happen to be a hotspot for reasons around our climate, our location, and our politics.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
No Wapato is successful because they serve a very low number of people that Helping Hands self-select. It's like private school scholarships for the homeless. What do you do with all the folks that aren't anywhere near equipped to deal with life due to our broken society? This is a national crisis, we just happen to be a hotspot for reasons around our climate, our location, and our politics.

I don't know enough about Wapato I guess, I just read how residents like being away from that scene.

As far as what we do with all the mentally ill, drug addicted etc. - my hope is that these safe rest villages are a starting point. They're supposed to have showers, laundry, social services on site. I think the city really needs to clear camps more frequently when these are up and running, since there will be these places to really get help. I would think having designated, sanctioned homeless camps makes it easier for social services to make more of an impact rather than having people randomly camping all over the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland