HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
People trying to draw some kind of equivalence re:racism vs "reverse racism" or classism, sexism or ageism, etc only ever do so to justify preserving inequality for selfish reasons. Complaining of "reverse racism" has that "straight pride" flavor of men's rights inceldom that ignores power structures.

I don't throw around the word intersectionality, but any white person going "where's my privilege? I'm poor/fat/disabled/a woman, etc" seem to forget that blacks can be all of those things too, thus have it even worse.
So you're saying that nonwhites should have free rein to play the race card?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:26 AM

whites can play the race card when straight people get their own parade lol

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:32 AM
Astineux

Quote:
People trying to draw some kind of equivalence re:racism vs "reverse racism" or classism, sexism or ageism, etc only ever do so to justify preserving inequality for selfish reasons. Complaining of "reverse racism" is as dumb as "straight pride", the kind of stupidity unique to men's rights incels with no grasp of power structures.

I don't throw around the word intersectionality, but any white person going "where's my privilege? I'm poor/fat/disabled/a woman, etc" seem to forget that blacks can be all of those things too thus have it even worse.
In the North American context it can be argued that racism from whites vs. anyone else has greater impacts due to them having more power and being a demographic majority, but it's total BS to portray minorities are little bo peeps who are never racist. They can be just as bad as anyone else.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:35 AM
Astineux

Quote:
whites can play the race card when straight people get their own parade lol
They already had one in Boston I think. Did not sound like a fun thing to attend.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In the North American context it can be argued that racism from whites vs. anyone else has greater impacts due to them having more power and being a demographic majority, but it's total BS to portray minorities are little bo peeps who are never racist. They can be just as bad as anyone else.
Strawman argument that no one is making. It's like a straight guy on a thread about homophobia in the Middle East reminding people that gays can be bad too... like what's the point, other than to show one's true colours?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:45 AM

You can NEVER get rid of racism until all forms of it are erased regardless of which race or group is doing the discrimination or which is on the receiving end. As long as some continue this notion that "some racism is better than others" then the entire racist system is maintained.

Members of minority groups are equally racist as their Caucasian counterparts. As for other supposedly "liberal" groups they too can also be racist or ethnically biased. Anyone who thinks gays are not bigoted has never step foot in a gay bar.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Rough stuff going on in Montréal.
If an angry mob could set the Résidences Soleil's Manoir Laval on fire at least there would be a silver lining to George Floyd's death.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Strawman argument that no one is making. It's like a straight guy on a thread about homophobia reminding people that gays can be mean too... like what's the point, other than to show one's true colours?
Just what point are you trying to make when you say

People trying to draw some kind of equivalence re:racism vs "reverse racism" or classism, sexism or ageism, etc only ever do so to justify preserving inequality for selfish reasons. Complaining of "reverse racism" is as dumb as "straight pride", the kind of stupidity unique to men's rights incels with no grasp of power structures.

Are you claiming power structures never negatively impact white people? Sounds like you might be trying to deny the existence of reverse racism for selfish reasons.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:54 AM

^^I'm denying the urgency of reverse discrimination as a deadly problem, and calling it a red herring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
You can NEVER get rid of racism until all forms of it are erased regardless of which race or group is doing the discrimination or which is on the receiving end. As long as some continue this notion that "some racism is better than others" then the entire racist system is maintained.

Members of minority groups are equally racist as their Caucasian counterparts. As for other supposedly "liberal" groups they too can also be racist or ethnically biased. Anyone who thinks gays are not bigoted has never step foot in a gay bar.
Sounds like an excuse to do nothing "the problem is TOO BIG". Maybe start by not killing black people for existing and then maybe we'll have time to worry about your interracial dating lol

And yea I already know gays are way more racist than straights.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Sounds like an excuse to do nothing "the problem is TOO BIG". Maybe start by not killing black people for existing and then maybe we'll have time to worry about your interracial dating lol

ssiguy never said to do nothing. He said you can't rid of it until all forms have been eradicated.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:01 AM

Quote:

I don't throw around the word intersectionality, but any white person going "where's my privilege? I'm poor/fat/disabled/a woman, etc" seem to forget that blacks can be all of those things too thus have it even worse.
Accepting "reverse racism" is critical to moving forward. Without accepting it we are not going to get a lasting solution. That does not mean it is our largest problem, it is not. However we still need to accept that it needs to also go away as part of a solution.

We need to find a way to rally society around a series of simple principles. The first being we treat each other fairly irrespective of race, colour, sex, or age.

As soon as you start with the perspective that we are in this together and we need to work together the movement to fix this problem is larger and stronger. Being inclusive pays.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^^I'm denying the urgency of reverse discrimination as a deadly problem, and calling it a red herring.

Classic textbook SJW over-the-top hyperbole.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:03 AM

Again, that's just another way of saying "All lives matter" to the problem of black lives being disproportionately lost. It's always reactionary, and it's telling.

It's like Brent-i-like-beer-Kavanaugh telling Mothers Against Drunk Driving "this is pointless - go worry about seat belts, speeding and road maintenance if you really wanna save lives"

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Accepting "reverse racism" is critical to moving forward. Without accepting it we are not going to get a lasting solution. That does not mean it is our largest problem, it is not. However we still need to accept that it needs to also go away as part of a solution.

We need to find a way to rally society around a series of simple principles. The first being we treat each other fairly irrespective of race, colour, sex, or age.
Too many of these SJW types are one-dimensional in terms of their persepctives. They only take into account one form or aspect of the injustice they 'protest' and completely discount the rest because they don't conform to their agendas. And far too many people use 'scales' to try and justify how some forms of racisms are more acceptable or 'less harmful' than others, again in an attempt to add traction to their agendas.

You need to look at ALL forms of racism, regardless of their 'order of magnitude' to get to the root of the problem and make some serious headway for ALL parties involved.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

I recently realized many of my employees here (most are South Asian) were avoiding another on the sole basis of him being gay. That was a surprise to me. I thought anyone young enough who's been in Canada for a while would be 0% homophobic, like everyone else.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Are you saying that Trump is trying to spark a race riot and is okay with what happened to George Floyd?
If the shoe fits....

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
If the shoe fits....
I like to deal with facts.

"We're going to look at it and we're going to get a report tomorrow when we get back. And we're going to get a very full report," Trump said in his first public comments about Floyd's death. "But a very sad day."

Trump later tweeted that the FBI and Department of Justice were investigating the matter at his request and offered his condolences to Floyd's family.

"I have asked for this investigation to be expedited and greatly appreciate all of the work done by local law enforcement," he added. "My heart goes out to George’s family and friends. Justice will be served!"

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/5267763002/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I like to deal with facts.

"We're going to look at it and we're going to get a report tomorrow when we get back. And we're going to get a very full report," Trump said in his first public comments about Floyd's death. "But a very sad day."

Trump later tweeted that the FBI and Department of Justice were investigating the matter at his request and offered his condolences to Floyd's family.

"I have asked for this investigation to be expedited and greatly appreciate all of the work done by local law enforcement," he added. "My heart goes out to George’s family and friends. Justice will be served!"

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/5267763002/
Says the guy who scrapped Obama's police reforms meant to increase community policing and reduce tensions, and held a rally with the Minneapolis police union chief, a member of a biker gang and suspected white supremacist.

I love how you also ignored his direct quote of a Miami police chief with lines which sparked a race riot in that city decades ago, during the Civil Rights Era. Took a whole 24 hours to find a rationalization around that.

It's really simple. If the bigots think you're one of them, chances are high you are one of them.

I really wonder why these facts gets you worked up so much.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 5:17 AM

Lest we forget, this is Donald Trump we're talking about. The guy who tried to delgitimize America's first black President with a conspiracy theory about his birth. The same man who took out full page ads in New York newspapers (except the NY Times which refused the ad) calling for the death penalty for five African American teens, who were later found to be innocent. He still refuses to even apologize for that. And the same businessman whose business had to settle with the Justice Department for not renting to black tenants.

The White Supremacists know where his heart lies. Even if he goes throgh the motions, like say calling the victim's brother and not listening to him at all.

Not for nothing is Trump being called America's first White President.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Says the guy who scrapped Obama's police reforms meant to increase community policing and reduce tensions, and held a rally with the Minneapolis police union chief, a member of a biker gang and suspected white supremacist.

I love how you also ignored his direct quote of a Miami police chief with lines which sparked a race riot in that city decades ago, during the Civil Rights Era. Took a whole 24 hours to find a rationalization around that.

It's really simple. If the bigots think you're one of them, chances are high you are one of them.

I really wonder why these facts gets you worked up so much.
I didn't ignore anything but you and CNN on the other hand sure are ignoring who's causing the rioting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada