HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:04 PM

I don't wear masks all of the time. I wear it when I go grocery shopping or in areas where social distancing is not feasible. But when I'm going grocery shopping, I'm not just going to Safeway and then home. I'm probably going to at least two stores, then a Walmart, then drycleaners, etc. If you have to drive to each location, it's just easier to keep your mask on.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ So is this how it ends for civilization? Like a Tetris game in its final stages where the viruses start piling up faster than we can deal with them?

Here's an interesting column from the Calgary Herald illustrating the type of collateral damage from Covid we'll probably be hearing about a lot in the upcoming months... a 46 year old man who died because he couldn't get a heart problem treated during the lockdown.

Corbella: Alberta man died from the lockdown, not COVID-19
Eh, don’t know the full details but from the information available from the article it doesn’t sound like his delayed procedure would have saved him.
Please note that, unless explicitly stated, the above post is not meant to be a slight against your favourite city. If you are about to quote my post and respond with indignation, please take a moment to consider what my post literally says rather than any subliminal meaning you may have attached to it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Because they use the example to virtue-signal how much more righteous they are than everyone else. And that attitude just turns people off mask wearing even more.

If you're intubating someone or working in any medical setting then yes, of course it makes sense to follow strict procedures taking off a mask. If you ran into 7-11 to buy a bag of chips, not so much.
People driving by in in cars are virtue signalling to you? Are they also telling you to paint your bedroom red and drown your cat?

It’s easier to keep your mask on. Chances are they’re driving back to an apartment building complex or another situation where a mask would be useful. And yes, you can get covid 19 from a 7-11. If you’re going to wear a mask, then wear it properly or there’s no point.
Please note that, unless explicitly stated, the above post is not meant to be a slight against your favourite city. If you are about to quote my post and respond with indignation, please take a moment to consider what my post literally says rather than any subliminal meaning you may have attached to it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Anthony Fauci stated last week on Friday that he expects a working vaccine that is at least 75% effective to be ready for mass immunizations by December. If you listen to the experts on the ground , it's more optimistic. The media sticks to their February/March talking points "12-18 months, may never happen, etc". But I too have been reading quite a bit from many people who are directly involved in the creation and they are way more optimistic than the copy and paste media articles. I think people just don't want to be let down, so they are being pessimistic.

I know many doctors have gone on record with the worst case results, and they have the right to be pessimistic. But I try to get my information from people in the trenches currently, not people in glass office towers.
Because the consequences of being late are far greater than the consequences of being early.

We all hope it'll be early, but it won't be here until it is here.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
People driving by in in cars are virtue signalling to you? Are they also telling you to paint your bedroom red and drown your cat?

It’s easier to keep your mask on. Chances are they’re driving back to an apartment building complex or another situation where a mask would be useful. And yes, you can get covid 19 from a 7-11. If you’re going to wear a mask, then wear it properly or there’s no point.
It's just his way of subtly ragging on the people who are most likely to wear masks in cars in his part of the world - Asians.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I don't wear masks all of the time. I wear it when I go grocery shopping or in areas where social distancing is not feasible. But when I'm going grocery shopping, I'm not just going to Safeway and then home. I'm probably going to at least two stores, then a Walmart, then drycleaners, etc. If you have to drive to each location, it's just easier to keep your mask on.
It's hard to complain about mask wearing when it is so cheap and easy.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people talk as if these practices need to be 100% effective in order to be worthwhile. What if a covid virion gets on the side of your mask and you get it on your ear when you're taking it off, then you touch your ear, then you touch your face, then you get covid? That's the 1 in 1,000,000 scenario while you unknowingly infecting someone else by talking and flinging covid-laden spittle at them is vastly more probable.

Another thing you hear is that we can't do anything unless there are decades of peer-reviewed studies confirming that it's a net win in our exact scenario. 99.9% of the actions we take are not in this category. We always have to use our judgement and intuition, even in areas that have been intensely studied scientifically.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 6:34 PM

this is pretty bad for airline employees

500 Delta Airline Staff Test Positive for Coronavirus, 10 Dead
BY SOO KIM ON 6/24/20

https://www.newsweek.com/500-delta-a...dhuq_AiPJAztYg

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 7:39 PM

Toronto going ahead with making masks mandatory in all indoor settings. It will begin 1 week from today (July 6th). Mississauga and Peel will follow course.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7124117/t...y-coronavirus/

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people talk as if these practices need to be 100% effective in order to be worthwhile. What if a covid virion gets on the side of your mask and you get it on your ear when you're taking it off, then you touch your ear, then you touch your face, then you get covid? That's the 1 in 1,000,000 scenario while you unknowingly infecting someone else by talking and flinging covid-laden spittle at them is vastly more probable.

Another thing you hear is that we can't do anything unless there are decades of peer-reviewed studies confirming that it's a net win in our exact scenario. 99.9% of the actions we take are not in this category. We always have to use our judgement and intuition, even in areas that have been intensely studied scientifically.
Airbags aren’t 100% effective, but I doubt most people would buy a car without them.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:17 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
this is pretty bad for airline employees

500 Delta Airline Staff Test Positive for Coronavirus, 10 Dead
BY SOO KIM ON 6/24/20

https://www.newsweek.com/500-delta-a...dhuq_AiPJAztYg
500 out of 90 000 employees is 0.5% which is pretty small. And we don't know how many of these are employees who would have come in contact with the public.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
500 out of 90 000 employees is 0.5% which is pretty small. And we don't know how many of these are employees who would have come in contact with the public.
500 out of how many tested employees, one wonders? 500 out of 90,000 would put them well below the likely rate in the U.S. population at large, no?

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jun 30, 2020 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

My understanding is that masks can actually make things worst if worn improperly. It isn't just that they aren't entirely affective it's that they collect up germs and ensure that most people are touching their faces whenever they put them on.

Last edited by LakeLocker; Jun 30, 2020 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:30 PM

That is why our Canadian doctors have emphasized physical distancing so much. And, generally, I think we've done a pretty good job of that. We're hardly perfect, but I think people have done what they can to give me space (and me giving others space).

I think the masks has become such a hot potato in the US because they have essentially given up on physical distancing.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 12:05 AM
Suburbs Suck

12 new cases in BC.
Zero deaths.
And just 150 active cases in the entire province.
Total deaths 174.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
My understanding is that masks can actually make things worst if worn improperly. It isn't just that they aren't entirely affective it's that they collect up germs and ensure that most people are touching their faces whenever they put them on.
I think that was the guidance from several months ago that has since been discredited. Obviously improper use is worse than using it properly, but since the objective is to limit successive waves (and the associated deaths, lockdowns and economic ruin) then the overwhelming advice from experts seems to be the risks of no mask outweigh the risk of masks.

In the US, the difference between masked states and unmasked states is pretty striking.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200624.html

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:03 AM

Canada recorded 25 deaths today. US recorded 764.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:34 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Canada recorded 25 deaths today. US recorded 764.
But I'm sure that's not relevant for some reason.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:09 AM

Another 46,000 cases in the US today. Seems to be a regular trend over 40k down there. Both Texas and California both reported all time highs in cases.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Freakin awesome. Thanks china... again... and again... and again...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
That is why our Canadian doctors have emphasized physical distancing so much. And, generally, I think we've done a pretty good job of that. We're hardly perfect, but I think people have done what they can to give me space (and me giving others space).

I think the masks has become such a hot potato in the US because they have essentially given up on physical distancing.

In the US wearing or not wearing a mask has become an IQ test.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada