HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 11:40 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by latour58zg View Post
Who is the Architect of this development and are they the same architects that designed the new Zimple dorms uptown and the "Black" building on Poydras....every window seems to be offset on these buildings....is it just an architectural feature used commonly by that group?
It is the same as 930 Poydras, but Zimple House is by ARO in New York. IMO the hospital and Zimple House are very underwhelming. I'm getting tired of these staggered facades too.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 1:16 AM

I would go even further and say that this architecture is an embarrassment. Here we have a chance to have some really nice buildings and we get stuck with some cheap looking totally un-creative design that seems more worthy of a pre-fab warehouse in the suburbs. It already looks bad, imagine how it will seem in ten or twenty years! The only thing that would be worse is if they decided to slap on a bunch of those hideous horizontal slats like at the BioInnovation Center. It's no wonder people around here are so frequently opposed to "modern" buildings if that's what they see as an example.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Slidellwx, I meant to ask where you post those stats on the airport. I'm a bit of an aviation buff myself and I think a great airport is very important for a healthy city. By the way, I see that we're getting a weekly non-stop to Cancun for the summer - at least it's a start!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 1:40 AM

A few things from citybusiness:

There was an uptick in venture capital activity in 2012, to $34.3 million from 25.8.

Two buildings offered as a package, 337 and 341, were sold to separate buyers. Jon Vaccari, an interior designer who already has a showroom on St. Charles.

Metairie bank is planning on expanding to the North Shore.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 1:52 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I would go even further and say that this architecture is an embarrassment.
Make sure you're keeping the hospitals straight. The LSU one is severely value-enginered and looks mediocre so far, although the glass is kinda nice.

The VA hospital has a larger Federal budget and most of it will be clad in a glass curtain wall.

VA Hospital rendering

I generally think Eskew Dumez Ripple does a good job, but they're really the only firm doing large, modern buildings. The other big firms tend towards a more traditional or postmodern look, whereas the other good modernist architects in town do mainly small projects. The uniformity is to be expected when only one firm is at the top (and really, New Orleans has been a one-firm town for most of the 20th century, with Curtis & Davis, then Perez, then EDR).

Part of the problem is that Louisiana's climate imposes some pretty strict requirements; this is one of the most problematic cities to build in, with hurricanes, hot/humid weather, rampant termites, crappy soil, etc. I don't blame architects for sticking to a limited, conservative palette of materials if it gives the building a reliably long lifespan. A lot of the sexy modern designs you see in other cities wouldn't work if they were transplanted here.

Still, though, I'm waiting on another Rivergate-level masterpiece to get built here.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 2:36 AM

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of either hospital's design. I'm very curious as to how the VA will look once it gets built. The renderings are a bit better, but I don't know how much I trust them. I do agree that EDR does some fine work, I just don't care for the staggered window thing at all. Of course, I don't completely blame them for the LSU hospital - I guess a big part of my beef is with the state and their haphazard approach to the project. For all of the trouble, they really should have tried to come up with something distinctive and beautiful. But that's a big discussion for another place...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 6:08 AM

@prokowave...I pm'd you the link. It's a facebook group.

Very happy to see the seasonal service to CUN reinstated. There was service to CUN before Katrina, and there is ample demand for at least a weekly flight to the resort area. Hoping it will continue into the winter.

Concerning the blight/225 Barrone article...I would prefer that city step in and demolish the Rault Center. It's a major eyesore, and the lot can then be used for a more modern project. It's a great spot for a high rise residential project.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 7:28 AM
-

When did they announce cancun service ?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It is the same as 930 Poydras, but Zimple House is by ARO in New York. IMO the hospital and Zimple House are very underwhelming. I'm getting tired of these staggered facades too.
Thanks ardecila.....I appreciate your insight.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 5:34 PM

The Atlantic: New Orleans: America's Next Great Innovation Hub?
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/tec...tion-hub/5223/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 8:58 PM

I've been watching the thread for a long time, and finally found my moment to chime in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
It's the local firm Eskew Dumez and Ripple.
Actually, it's my understanding that EDR is just the local Architect of Record, the Lead Architect for both hospitals is the Seattle office of the global NBBJ, who specialize in healthcare architecture.

I think the staggered slit window design is just really trendy right now, and that's why we keep seeing it everywhere.

Also, as a noob, the info y'all share on here is great! I check in everyday!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 12:39 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again - given how much stronger the N.O. real estate market is than many others in the South, I don't understand why there isn't any high-rise construction.

Bike share meeting soon:

http://fsjna.org/2013/04/bike-share-be-there/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 3:02 AM

Honestly because we have way too many empty, vacant, disstressed properties that are available for Fed Restoratic Tax Credits. You can't beat 50% of you money back in 5yrs. New market tax credits aren't as appealing right now. When the city has reached critical mass converting it's historic structures to residential, we will see high/mid rises popping up. Lastly, getting financing for a market rate property is not easy if not impossible.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 6:02 AM

The Cancun service is being operated by Vacation Express Charters on Aeromexico planes. It will fly once/week every Sunday to Cancun beginning in late May and lasting into early August. Hope it gets extended into the winter months. The prices are pretty appealing. If we weren't going to Hawaii, we'd look into this deal.

http://www.vacationexpress.com/new-o...acation-deals/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 12:58 AM

Quick update on things out in the east. Demolition of the old Lakeland Medical Center on Bullard has begun for the new Wal-Mart. Piles are also being driven for the new hospital on Read. The old hospital has been completely demolished except for one section that will be incorporated into the new building.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:06 PM

Robert Fresh Market on St. Claude

According to CityBusiness, it appears that the legal troubles surrounding the former Robert Fresh Market site on St. Claude are coming to a close: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...anns-property/

I don't have subscription, but perhaps someone here could shed more light on this. It would be really great for the neighborhood if they could get this store re-opened soon.

EDIT: NOLA.com has a story on this as well: http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._more_business It seems like this is definitely moving forward, although it will likely be a few years before it opens.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
According to CityBusiness, it appears that the legal troubles surrounding the former Robert Fresh Market site on St. Claude are coming to a close: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...anns-property/

I don't have subscription, but perhaps someone here could shed more light on this. It would be really great for the neighborhood if they could get this store re-opened soon.
From GNO Real Estate News:

"CityBusiness reports that Robert Fresh Market acquired ownership of the Schwegmann’s property on the corner of St. Claude and Elysian Fields Ave. following years of litigation. Robert Fresh Market, which had operated a store in the space until Hurricane Katrina, plans on redeveloping the 35,000 sf building that have been vacant since Hurricane Katrina."

Official Press Release from Robért's announcing the news:

http://robertfreshmarket.com/pdf/St%...se%20FINAL.pdf

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:19 PM
-

In other personally good news I got my approvals from HDLC today. Good to go once my engineering drawings are done!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
In other personally good news I got my approvals from HDLC today. Good to go once my engineering drawings are done!
Congrats!

Tennis, I've seen heavy equipment on a spot of land in the 6100 block of Elysian Fields (Elysian Fields/Robert E. Lee) the past couple of days. This used to be a gas station/strip mall back in the day. Any permits for this area?

Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 3:47 PM

Bienville Properties approval by VCC

Hey Guys,

It seems these properties on bienville that yall mentioned before are one step closer to being approved:

The Vieux Carre Commission's Architectural Review Committee recommended approval of three major French Quarter projects at its meeting Tuesday. The commission is expected to consider each for final approval April 16.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...l#incart_river

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 4:41 PM

So the NOPSI building has a sign up. Will they be building the 10 story expansion I read about in a 2007 article?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations