HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > América Latina

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 9:42 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Where art thou Jamaica thread?

Noticible lack of talk about Jamaica here so I started this thread. If anyone but me cares, I want to open up talk about H2k, the new Cuaseway, new development in New Kingston, new streetscape projects, the Kingston port expansion, and the airport expansion/upgrading.

What do you guys think about the Transportation Ministry's new projects?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 9:48 PM
Santo Domingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308
Noticible lack of talk about Jamaica here so I started this thread. If anyone but me cares, I want to open up talk about H2k, the new Cuaseway, new development in New Kingston, new streetscape projects, the Kingston port expansion, and the airport expansion/upgrading.

besides the dominican culture for me the jamaican is the second more interesting in the cariibbean, i have done like 3 class exposition about jamaican culture, and i love it, i love the ackee. jamaica is one of the most important bauxite importer in the world, jamaica is the second best positioned caribbean country in the olympic games history.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 9:51 PM
•Mejor Editor 2006•

Skyline de Kingston

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Hey man, we'd love to see some of that stuff. Welcome it's always nice to see some one from the non-latin carribean , haven't seen many though. Why don't you post some stuff for us to see, all those projects sound really interesting

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 10:15 PM
Man of Many Statistics

www.h2kjamaica.com <--- that’s the site on the Highway 2000 project. In short, at the turn of the century, Jamaica lacked a highway system and had to rely on small two lane roads for most of the travel between towns and cities. There was a lot of improvement work done on these roads in the 1990's but finally the PM announced a new program to bring a freeway system to the island. The system will have a route from Kingston to the second city, Motego Bay and a route connecting the first to Ocho Rios, the tourism city. The final product will add hundreds of miles of highways and new bridges and will be completed before the end of the decade. It represents the largest undertaking in Jamaica's history and will cost billions when it is completed.

Simultaneously, the airports have been upgraded as well as the ports. There have been improvements to a lot of the main roads in Kingston as well.

The reason I created this thread is to open discussion on these topics due to the lack of readily available information on it. Particularly, I want to know what Norman Manley International Airport will look like when its done. The rendering at the entrance seems unreal. Does anyone have any info?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 10:24 PM
Santo Domingo

Quote:
www.h2kjamaica.com <--- that’s the site on the Highway 2000 project. In short, at the turn of the century, Jamaica lacked a highway system and had to rely on small two lane roads for most of the travel between towns and cities. There was a lot of improvement work done on these roads in the 1990's but finally the PM announced a new program to bring a freeway system to the island. The system will have a route from Kingston to the second city, Motego Bay and a route connecting the first to Ocho Rios, the tourism city. The final product will add hundreds of miles of highways and new bridges and will be completed before the end of the decade. It represents the largest undertaking in Jamaica's history and will cost billions when it is completed.

Simultaneously, the airports have been upgraded as well as the ports. There have been improvements to a lot of the main roads in Kingston as well.

The reason I created this thread is to open discussion on these topics due to the lack of readily available information on it. Particularly, I want to know what Norman Manley International Airport will look like when its done. The rendering at the entrance seems unreal. Does anyone have any info?

getting renders about rpoyects in little island is very difficult, even in dominican republic that is a big island is pretty hard to get information about it. but the thing that i can tell you that when the sangster international airport in mobay is completed will can handle 8 milliones passangers in a year. i can tell you too that mobay has one of the most luxurios hotels in the caribbean call "rose hall" in mobay(montego bay for those one who doesnt know about the shortest name of that city). i can tell you too that the new firt minister of jamiaca portia simpson miller is the first one in the history of jamaica.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 10:25 PM

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/jamaica/- That give some info and pics of what they've done.

I'll try and find some more.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 10:51 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Sabina(Kingston)

Greenfield(Trelawny)

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC):

Both the Sabina Park and Trelawny stadium venues in Jamaica are on course for a timely finish as the country prepares to fulfill its obligation of hosting matches in next year's Cricket World Cup.

Robert Bryan, chief executive of the Jamaica's Local Organising Committee, said the cement shortage several weeks ago did impact on the preparations, but noted he was confident of delivering the venues ahead of the ICC's deadline next February.

"Right now we are making great progress in terms of both venues. We expect Trelawny will be ready ahead of schedule as previously indicated, and the completion of Sabina Park will be hopefully by the end of November, but definitely no later than the second week of December," Bryan said.

25,000-seater project

The Trelawny Stadium, being constructed in the north-western parish of Trelawny, will be a 25,000-seater project and will host the opening ceremony on March 11 as well as pre-tournament matches from March 5-9.

... The cost of redevelopment of Sabina Park has been put at US$29 million while the Greenfield Stadium has been built to the tune of US$30 million....

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 11:25 PM

is the "agua de jamaica" from jamaica¿? it is a traditional mexican water

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 11:30 PM
Man of Many Statistics

The brand new toll bridge finished in July...

Portmore toll users surpass expected numbers

Trevor Jackson, managing director of TransJamaican Highway, has reported that the number of vehicles which used the toll road yesterday morning surpassed the expected 8,600.

* By 10:00 o'clock yesterday morning, 10,200 vehicles had actually used the roadway.

* Minister of Information and Development, Colin Campbell, at the post-Cabinet press briefing yesterday, said 16,000 vehicles passed through the toll bridge, on Saturday.

* On Sunday, 17,000 vehicles passed through the toll bridge.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 11:31 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio0qs
is the "agua de jamaica" from jamaica¿? it is a traditional mexican water
Heh, who knows?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 11:46 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Found one version of the new construction.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 11:53 PM
Santo Domingo

Quote:

Found one version of the new construction.
i like it, um does your under message is from the song one love from bob marley?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 12:09 AM
Man of Many Statistics

(Isn't Jamaica pretty)

FUTURE EXPANSION

Based on the Terminal's performance, The Port Authority of Jamaica – in keeping with the Government's mandate, has began a 4th Phase expansion since 2004 February. The new development will see:

*Reconstruction of the existing 445 metres of berth at the North Terminal, plus construction of an additional 90 metres of berth.

*Extension of the berth at the South Terminal by 91.1 metres.

*Paving of 29 hectares of yard space on the South Terminal.

*Paving of 21.6 hectares of yard space on the North Terminal.

This expansion will add a further 300,000 TEUs, which represents a 25 percent increase in capacity. Total capacity will therefore be 1.5 Million TEUs.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 12:11 AM
Man of Many Statistics

(the red lines are the highway routes)

Those are some pics of the highway project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
i like it, um does your under message is from the song one love from bob marley?
Nope, its just how I feel. Its more Black Eyed Peas if anything.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 12:18 AM

Those are some neat projects. I really like the stadiums.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 12:27 AM
Man of Many Statistics

NCB. Owned by Jamaica's billionare. This building is small, but it has a panoramic view of downtown, uptown, the ocean, and the mountains. They let me in and I love going up there.

Just some beauty shots.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 12:41 AM
Santo Domingo

Quote:

NCB. Owned by Jamaica's billionare. This building is small, but it has a panoramic view of downtown, uptown, the ocean, and the mountains. They let me in and I love going up there.

Just some beauty shots.
dammmmmm jamaica is hot, from wich parish are you from? kingston, mobay, por antonio? where?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 12:47 AM
Man of Many Statistics

I lived in Kingston last. I'm in the US now, though I go back once or twice a year.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 1:27 AM
Santo Domingo

Quote:

(the red lines are the highway routes)

Those are some pics of the highway project.

Nope, its just how I feel. Its more Black Eyed Peas if anything.
yeappppppp, now i remember why i feel so familarise with the letter, i tough it was from the one love song from bob.lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > América Latina