HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 10:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The awnings are bad enough but what about that fugly metal fence out front?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 10:28 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The awnings are bad enough but what about that fugly metal fence out front?
Yeah the sheet metal gives it a scrap yard vibe. Nothing will ever compete with this absolute gem from Calgary though:

The front of said shack. The guy in the pink sarong was kinda menacing in person. I think this was a combo flop house / hostel or something? It might have been redeveloped since 4 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:28 PM

Wait, the lawn in the front is actually mowed? So what is the point of the back? Or did they get a bylaw warning to not let the front lawn get waist high?

There's a house by the cottage on a private road (no streetview) that uses this orange fencing as their front yard fencing. It's a very wide lot too. But the driveway is wide open so it's not like they're trying to keep a dog in or something. I for the life of me don't understand the point of it.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4451731718.htm

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:10 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Wait, the lawn in the front is actually mowed? So what is the point of the back? Or did they get a bylaw warning to not let the front lawn get waist high?

There's a house by the cottage on a private road (no streetview) that uses this orange fencing as their front yard fencing. It's a very wide lot too. But the driveway is wide open so it's not like they're trying to keep a dog in or something. I for the life of me don't understand the point of it.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4451731718.htm
Maybe it was a laser defense system?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

that skid-fenced home looks a lot like a "Surrey special" (Whalley district of Surrey, where guys like this worked the neighborhood).

surreynowleader

Quote:
Steel-fisted Surrey enforcer who terrorized the streets of Whalley meets his bloody end
Mizen — the muscled 6-foot-4 enforcer who terrified the streets of Whalley with a steel fist — was found dead Sunday at about 8:45 p.m. in a basement suite in the 11000-block 136th Street.

Mizen, 54, had just been released from jail on a charge of uttering threats. He posted his last “selfie” photo to Facebook on Sunday afternoon, standing with arms flexed, a black bandana and black sunglasses obscuring his face, as if preparing to leave his room to hurt someone.

Instead, someone came in and hurt him. According to neighbours who have spoken with detectives, Mizen’s bloody body was found in the bathroom of his suite.
https://theprovince.com/news/fraser%...-6451a03ffa91/

turned up dead here, at a local Surrey Crackshack

vansun

The tent city may finally be gone but the junkies still shoot up on the notorious 135A street in beautiful downtown Surrey
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.1960...7i16384!8i8192

I worked for years in this neighborhood

Last edited by MolsonExport; Oct 19, 2021 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:17 PM

The guy was probably bumped off by a real estate developer.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:30 PM

Man, that dude sounds like a real piece of work. Every place has its seedy underworld but the lower mainland's is something else.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The guy was probably bumped off by a real estate developer.
More on that charming fellow can be had here: https://gangstersout.blogspot.com/20...ad-update.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 9:27 PM
Fake News

He was one rough and scary looking SOB. I often wonder what happens in someone's life to lead them down such a horrible path.

I ended up at a crackhouse by accident once in college. Scariest experience of my life. A former friend dragged me along to a supposed house party with a co-worker named "Party Dave". Upon entering it became clear what the place was. We called a cab (this was before Uber or anything and we were slightly drunk from being at the bar beforehand). As we're waiting outside, a car full of latino guys stops in front of us and starts yelling and asking if we're crackheads. 4 or 5 of them get out and start circling us. One guy took off his belt and was wrapping it around his fist so the buckle could act as brass knuckles.

After explaining to them that we weren't crackheads and that it was a misunderstanding that led us there they ended up leaving. Warned us that if they saw us again they wouldn't be so nice next time. Friendly neighbourhood watch in Penbrooke Meadows / Forest Lawn.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
He was one rough and scary looking SOB. I often wonder what happens in someone's life to lead them down such a horrible path.

I ended up at a crackhouse by accident once in college. Scariest experience of my life. A former friend dragged me along to a supposed house party with a co-worker named "Party Dave". Upon entering it became clear what the place was. We called a cab (this was before Uber or anything and we were slightly drunk from being at the bar beforehand). As we're waiting outside, a car full of latino guys stops in front of us and starts yelling and asking if we're crackheads. 4 or 5 of them get out and start circling us. One guy took off his belt and was wrapping it around his fist so the buckle could act as brass knuckles.

After explaining to them that we weren't crackheads and that it was a misunderstanding that led us there they ended up leaving. Warned us that if they saw us again they wouldn't be so nice next time. Friendly neighbourhood watch in Penbrooke Meadows / Forest Lawn.
That is a wild story.... Party Dave really messed up

As far as the dead guy goes, I was curious so I googled him... apparently he grew up with a very abusive and violent upbringing.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 1:58 PM

Damn, this thread really went from tearing apart ugly architecture to tearing apart poor/mentally ill people..

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Damn, this thread really went from tearing apart ugly architecture to tearing apart poor/mentally ill people..
Oh good, someone is here to defend the crack dealers of Surrey

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:

vansun
On a visit to Vancouver 15 years ago, I rode the Skytrain out to Surrey, ended up at Gateway Station.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2016...7i16384!8i8192

This is probably one for the Canadian urban typology thread, but what the hell? Tumbledown rural shit right out of Deliverance next to empty fields and glassy highrises. Who builds a city like this? Looks like it hasn't changed either.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:16 PM

That’s unfortunate for the neighbours. Reminds me of the house up in Tiny, ON I posted a couple years back. At least that’s rural and separation between the houses is wide and trees in between. Not good for neighbours who want to sell. Though for this one with real estate what it is, the neighbouring houses wouldn’t have a shortage of potential buyers.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
On a visit to Vancouver 15 years ago, I rode the Skytrain out to Surrey, ended up at Gateway Station.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2016...7i16384!8i8192

This is probably one for the Canadian urban typology thread, but what the hell? Tumbledown rural shit right out of Deliverance next to empty fields and glassy highrises. Who builds a city like this? Looks like it hasn't changed either.
That was my station on the odd days that I didn't drive to work (Whalley World days, 1995-1998). You should see this place in the evenings. I have encountered some scary shit over the years.

tenor

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Mizen looks like a psychopathic Mr. Clean

Quote:
Theft, extortion, assault, threatening, assault with a weapon, disobeying court orders, attempt to obstruct justice – Mizen, 55, was convicted of all of them.

In one 2003 extortion, the victim was told his finger would be cut off unless he could pay a $70 drug debt.

On his Facebook page Sunday, hours before he died, Mizen posted a photo of himself wearing a black bandana over his face.

In several other online photos he flexed his muscles and looked intimidating. Many of his friends commented on how frightening he appeared.
https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-...eath-ihit-says

The dude scares the shit out of me.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:20 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
what I feel like doing every time someone from the anti-vax/pro-trump crowd shows their face:
Some are that dumb. Deep down, most of them know better so they avoid reality exclusively networking with supporting anti-vax social groups. I blame the ringleaders, the celebrity voices and, the vaccine supporters in power that still place their political salvation ahead of saving lives. Mandates have come too slowly and remain too lenient. Choice should be to get that vaccine or leave American society. (ex. become a mountain man) There are anti-vaxxers in Canada but we have reached that point in most places where they don't matter

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
That’s unfortunate for the neighbours. Reminds me of the house up in Tiny, ON I posted a couple years back. At least that’s rural and separation between the houses is wide and trees in between. Not good for neighbours who want to sell. Though for this one with real estate what it is, the neighbouring houses wouldn’t have a shortage of potential buyers.
I am convinced that this house is occupied by a serial killer and that the scrapyard of old cars out front are his victims.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9834...7i16384!8i8192

Streetview doesn't do it justice. It is so creepy in real life.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:55 PM

Did that Volkswagen budge between the 2009 and 2015 streetviews?!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:01 PM
I am the law!

This happens in Toronto as neighbors tend to have this perception the city looks upon us with an eye of Sauron. I moved into a neighbourhood with a property like this and the first conversation I had was about this house. I asked why no one reported it. They all had a blank expression. It was cleaned up in less than 90 days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada