HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 3:42 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
To: Photolith

I didn't feel it necessary to copy your pictures above, but I have a question.

The first picture I cannot place where this construction is. Is it part of the new hospital near Duquesne University, looking toward the SouthSide over the river?
Yes, its from the Hill looking over SoHo towards the Southside.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
That bank is slick. I realize that style is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is a great example of that era and should be protected.
Yeah, and not only is it valuable due to it being a great example of 1960s-era design, but also because it is a great example of mid-century bank architecture, a fully-unique example of Mellon Bank architecture, and because its construction materials are very high-quality (much more so than what most of Pittsburgh's "Victorian" era architecture is composed of).

Some people might not appreciate it because it's not "quaint" or "cute" or "historic" in their minds. And that displays a very limited understanding of the art and science of building construction. Many "preservationists" will decry the destruction of a mass-produced, 1880s rowhouse made of rough brick and wood, with flimsy interior walls, yet will barely make a peep when a custom-built, mid-century commercial building made of glazed brick, terrazzo, heavy plate glass, and finish-grade aluminum alloy is threatened with demolition.

Banks were long-tme sponsors of innovative and lasting design in our cities, and now they trade only in "fast food architecture"... which is exactly what Citizens Bank is proposing for the site.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
That bank is slick. I realize that style is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is a great example of that era and should be protected.

I agree. It's needs some tlc of course, but it's a cool design and I hate that era is getting erased.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDescutner View Post
Yup, the Planning Commission approved the redesign of a tower that is replacing it.

This one is nice. Calm.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:49 PM

I was browsing the Hardy World site last night and saw this planned (?) Uptown apartment building along Boulevard of the Allies.

https://www.hardyworldllc.com/listin...-of-the-allies

Did we know about this one? I don't remember seeing it but may well have missed it. It's not especially great looking in the crude rendering, but I think The Refinery turned out pretty well in the Strip so hopefully this one will too, if built.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:22 PM

^ haven’t seen anything about that one. I imagine it’s being planned given the UPMC Mercy and expansion and proposed changes to the Blvd. I would never want to live in that area as it is now, but if the Blvd. changes happen, then it could be a very cool neighborhood.

I’m hoping that the Duquesne Tamburitzans building won’t be torn down for it. It’s a great piece of moderne architecture

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^ haven’t seen anything about that one. I imagine it’s being planned given the UPMC Mercy and expansion and proposed changes to the Blvd. I would never want to live in that area as it is now, but if the Blvd. changes happen, then it could be a very cool neighborhood.

I’m hoping that the Duquesne Tamburitzans building won’t be torn down for it. It’s a great piece of moderne architecture
Tamburitzans sold the building in 2019 for $800,000. Looking at the parcel, it's pretty clear it's set to replace their building, with only the narrow frontage on Boulevard of the Allies, and the building actually facing Mitenberger (and probably extending to Locust).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:

I haven't heard of any proposed changes to the Blvd, but think of it almost every time I drive there. Do you have any further information?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haimon View Post
I haven't heard of any proposed changes to the Blvd, but think of it almost every time I drive there. Do you have any further information?
MAJOR changes have been proposed, though I have no idea if they’ve gained any traction at any level over the past few years.

It was a component of the Uptown master plan. Basically, the Blvd. component is meant to change it from a dangerous highway to an actual boulevard city street.

https://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/redtai...ATION_PLAN.pdf

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:20 PM

With Biden bound for Pittsburgh, W.Pa Dems want to put the focus on the Mon Valley
https://www.penncapital-star.com/gov...he-mon-valley/

Does this mean the Mon-Fayette expressway is once again a possibility? I'm really hoping they don't mean ramming an interstate all the way through Duck Hollow.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:50 PM

4/6 Planning Commission agenda is now online. Only two new items for next week:

1. The fourth briefing by Pitt on their new campus master plan. This presentation focuses on some issues (really, mostly nitpicks) the Planning Commission had with their master plan. In some cases, they have made changes, such as committing to not include colonnades, considering the addition of new pedestrian bridges, potential enhancement/expansion of open spaces, and not having blank wall facades with no windows on ground level.

2. The Penn Garrison (921 Penn Avenue), is converting additional space on its first and second floors into 17 new apartment units. When I first saw this I was a bit troubled, because even with this being a bad time for retail, we don't want to have storefronts in the cultural district with residential uses. But the plan still has a much smaller section of the first story which is set aside for retail. What it appears is happening is Social Security is moving out of the office space it took up in the building, and rather than remarket the space as office, the building is converting most of the space to residential, with a residual retail area fronting on Penn. Honestly it will probably result in being able to ask for higher rents, because I'm sure the tenants did not like the lines of people waiting for benefits outside of their front door. I can't seem to find any news online regarding where the SS office is moving however.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 8:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

Is there a city website or something that shows when tear downs or any construction starts on a parcel?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Is there a city website or something that shows when tear downs or any construction starts on a parcel?
https://data.wprdc.org/dataset/city-...permit-summary

Not sure if somewhere else is updated more frequently, but this is a month-to-month summary going back to 2012

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:14 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Sweet, I was asking because I like to wander around construction sites looking for antique bottles and marbles after they dig.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

Whoa!!!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wpx...outputType=amp

Supposedly construction starts this fall.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 6:10 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
MAJOR changes have been proposed, though I have no idea if they’ve gained any traction at any level over the past few years.

It was a component of the Uptown master plan. Basically, the Blvd. component is meant to change it from a dangerous highway to an actual boulevard city street.

https://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/redtai...ATION_PLAN.pdf
I find this very exciting. I've been a fan of this area for many years. It's good to see it getting much deserved attention. I find it to be an exciting neighborhood full of possibilities.

Particularly the reconstruction of Boulevard of the Allies

Boulevard of the Allies

Boulevard of the Allies Transformed

Boulevard of the Allies Transformed 2

Heritage Trail Connector

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:54 PM

I think those crosswalks would need to be the raised speedbump type. It can still be a throughway for people doing a Bigelow <-> parkway east connection, but there needs to be enough deterrence for those going parkway east <-> 279 or rt 28. There is a perfectly fine connection at the point for that traffic.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwho View Post
I think those crosswalks would need to be the raised speedbump type. It can still be a throughway for people doing a Bigelow <-> parkway east connection, but there needs to be enough deterrence for those going parkway east <-> 279 or rt 28. There is a perfectly fine connection at the point for that traffic.
It seems like the total transformation of a highway into single lanes and an actual boulevard with traffic lights would more than suffice to completely alter its function as a thruway connection between 19/579/279 and 376E.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:21 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Yeah, I would be thrilled to see that area of the Blvd of the Allies revamped with overlooks. It's so desolate and uninviting currently.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:23 PM
Philly Pholly

I do find it hard to believe they would end up reducing it to a sinle lane in each direction but I think it would be great

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations