HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
IIRC the only reason the entire block is abandoned is because an earlier developer had planned a master project on the block and evicted all of the renters. The project was defeated by NIMBYs. Hell, IIRC two projects in a row were defeated by NIMBYs (the first just on this block, the second that big master-plan development going down Bates).
I don't recall the first project, but I know the big second proposal had major opposition from the OPDC, and zero support from officials, because it was total bs and affiliated with people who had highly-questionable track records.

It was never seen as a viable project, but rather seen as a ploy to get a lot of money in a "public-private partnership" from the state. It was flatly rejected by city, county, state, and federal (because of their proposal to build interstate highway interchanges) officials.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I don't recall the first project, but I know the big second proposal had major opposition from the OPDC, and zero support from officials, because it was total bs and affiliated with people who had highly-questionable track records.

It was never seen as a viable project, but rather seen as a ploy to get a lot of money in a "public-private partnership" from the state. It was flatly rejected by city, county, state, and federal (because of their proposal to build interstate highway interchanges) officials.
The first development IIRC proposed to "de-park" the Zulema Parklet. In fairness it is an awful park - more or less a wide grassy median strip surrounded by two high-speed, wide roads. There's no one really around any longer, now that the backyards that abut it are vacant.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:17 PM

There was also a plan to grade-separate that intersection of Bates and the Blvd. It was in one of those Oakland Master Plans for the 2020’s. I believe that intersection is part of state route 885, meaning it would require PennDOT cooperation and probably funding. Haven’t heard anything else about it so I assume that idea is dead.

There were some fancy mock-ups of Fifth and Forbes on road diets, with bike lanes and bus pullouts also, with no sign of any of that to come either unless the BRT actually comes to fruition

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:52 PM

I found these renderings last night on Indovina's website. Looks to be a massive project a new building facing Center Ave and another building facing S Aiken. I assume no one has any details on this... looks to speculative in response to a RFP.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:55 PM

Also on Indovina's website is renderings I have not seen for the Uptown project

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:01 PM

^ Nice!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:03 PM

Sorry folks - more renderings to share. I haven't seen any of these so thought they may be interesting to the group. The following are for the former PG building downtown.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
I found these renderings last night on Indovina's website. Looks to be a massive project a new building facing Center Ave and another building facing S Aiken. I assume no one has any details on this... looks to speculative in response to a RFP.
I was curious, so I looked it up - the historic midrise at the corner is owned by Mozart, as are two (chopped up) homes right behind it on S Aiken (and a vacant lot on Claiborne Street used for additional parking). Seems like a total redevelopment of the assembly of parcels, with a big addition to the front building (with a parking garage accessed via the rear). This addition is even larger than it looks because the existing building is C-shaped.

It's harder for me to figure out what's going on in the rear. Obviously it's a total demolition of the existing homes, with a townhouse-like structure (maybe 5 units?) put in its place. But they seem to have made the strange decision to have the front of the homes face on the private parking alley, and the back porches front on Claiborne Street, with some sort of retaining walls (climbing to two stories tall in the furthest unit from the corner) fronting right on the sidewalk. Is it a parking garage? I can't see this flying directly adjacent to a block of single-family homes in Shadyside.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
I was curious, so I looked it up - the historic midrise at the corner is owned by Mozart, as are two (chopped up) homes right behind it on S Aiken (and a vacant lot on Claiborne Street used for additional parking). Seems like a total redevelopment of the assembly of parcels, with a big addition to the front building (with a parking garage accessed via the rear).
Those surface parking lots in that area are a real annoyance to me, so that is already a big positive for this project to me.

In terms of the portion along Claybourne, I don't know if those are set up as flats or multi-story units, but regardless it looks to me like three stories of residential sitting on a podium with parking and maybe some lobby/common spaces, and then a deck along Claybourne over part of the podium.

It probably won't look great from across Claybourne, but I believe that building across from the site on Claybourne is actually the Pittsburgh Community Corrections Center, a Pennsylvania Department of Corrections facility for women who are in their community placement program.

So, maybe not the sort of neighbor who will object?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Sorry folks - more renderings to share. I haven't seen any of these so thought they may be interesting to the group. The following are for the former PG building downtown.
Wow, to me those look great. When I was originally fantasizing about a project for this location that would preserve the original historic building and integrate it into a bigger complex worthy of Downtown, that's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. I hope it happens!

Edit: Just to add a quick thought--so everything west of Stanwix Downtown is basically FUBAR from a modern urban planning perspective. It was all designed around the principles of Robert Moses and his ilk, and these days we know all those autocentric highrises-in-a-park are terrible for creating a lively, walkable, urban space.

But short of raising it all and starting over, it is what it is, and it is actually also a pretty stellar collection of architectural styles from that era. Pittsburgh's "Little Modernia" if you will.

OK, so here are a couple interesting images of that area as of 1954, when everything BUT the PG complex had been raised and the Gateway Center complex had started.

Again, too late to undo what happened there. But preserving the PG building in some form, and otherwise putting a reasonably nice, reasonably big new building there that broadly fits with the existing "Little Modernia" buildings, is a win for me.

Last edited by BrianTH; Feb 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:47 PM

Oh, and since I am trying to wish things into existence--that Boulos parking lot across Commonwealth, leading up to the sorta-reconstructed Flag Bastion, is an abomination.

I would love to see it turned into a playground/dog-park space, with the Flag Bastion re-reconstructed into something that could serve as a complement to the Fort Pitt Museum (accessible via a walking path under the freeways). It is actually a pretty nice view from there, and if you added some historic cannons and such it could be a really nifty attraction.

And the fact there are no public playgrounds Downtown strikes me as an oversight that needs correction. And while there is a (small) dog park, it is all the way over on the other side of Downtown near the Convention Center.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Those surface parking lots in that area are a real annoyance to me, so that is already a big positive for this project to me.
It's a shame that the remainder of that block isn't under common ownership as well, because there's several other big surface lots and a bunch of garbage 1-2 story commercial buildings.

Quote:
In terms of the portion along Claybourne, I don't know if those are set up as flats or multi-story units, but regardless it looks to me like three stories of residential sitting on a podium with parking and maybe some lobby/common spaces, and then a deck along Claybourne over part of the podium.
Yes, I think you're right, it's a parking podium. Though I don't see garage doors.

Quote:
It probably won't look great from across Claybourne, but I believe that building across from the site on Claybourne is actually the Pittsburgh Community Corrections Center, a Pennsylvania Department of Corrections facility for women who are in their community placement program.

So, maybe not the sort of neighbor who will object?
I was not referring to across the street. I was referring to this house, which is homeowner occupied and could immediately abut the parking podium (which would be two stories tall at the far end).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think you're right, it's a parking podium. Though I don't see garage doors. . . .

I was not referring to across the street. I was referring to this house, which is homeowner occupied and could immediately abut the parking podium (which would be two stories tall at the far end).
Yeah, good point. It is too bad we can't see that bottom corner clearly in the rendering. I assume that is where the entrance to the garage would be located, and I want to say maybe that structure isn't long enough to extend all the way to the far side of the parking lot? Meaning maybe there could be some sort of gap before getting to that house you flagged.

Still, with the grade, looking up at a 4+ story building is going to be a little imposing.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:

Since my super power is nitpicking () I thought I'd ask: why is there a Great Lakes size ore ship parked along the shore near Station Square?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:02 PM
Ex Houstonian

Thank Jebus.

Judge turns down Troiani’s appeal of Pittsburgh Planning Commission’s denial to tear down Froggy’s
Quote:
PITTSBURGH — Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas Judge Joseph James has upheld a ruling by the Pittsburgh Planning Commission rejecting a proposal by the Troiani family to demolish a group of buildings along Market Street downtown to make way for a redevelopment.

The Planning Commission ruling came last July in a near-unanimous vote. At the time, Chair Christine Mondor cited the buildings as contributing to the neighborhood’s federal historic district.

In his decision, James largely deferred to the commission and the board of appeals of the city Department of Permits, Licensing and Inspections, which rejected Troiani’s emergency appeal to demolish the buildings along Market Street, including the former Froggy’s, due to the risk posed to the neighboring six-story 209 First Avenue, also part of Troiani’s holdings.
https://www.wpxi.com/news/business/j...PTPQPVXI4BF6U/

I bet they mysteriously burn down soon.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:27 PM

WOW. Those renderings from Indovina are impressive. Other Pittsburgh architecture firms should be taking notes. Contemporary use of brick, clean lines and simple flourishes instead of tacky add-ons or too many materials & colors. Going through their site it's clear they're the high bar in town. Just now realizing that most of my favorite designs of the last few years have come from them.

Really hope these proposals come through.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
Since my super power is nitpicking () I thought I'd ask: why is there a Great Lakes size ore ship parked along the shore near Station Square?
You didn't hear about Gateway Clipper's expansion plans?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Thank Jebus.

Judge turns down Troiani’s appeal of Pittsburgh Planning Commission’s denial to tear down Froggy’s

https://www.wpxi.com/news/business/j...PTPQPVXI4BF6U/

I bet they mysteriously burn down soon.
I would not be surprised one bit if they meet a fiery demise due to "old wiring".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
They're just bringing the iron ore directly here now. You know, for all the big steel mills.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 9:50 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

What can I say about all of these impressive renderings except - Build them all! Great designs and massing. Indovina is really wowing me.

Out of all of these proposals the one that I would love to see the most would be the Post Gazette complex. It would be really beneficial to have that very visible corner of downtown revitalized to its fullest potential, increasing the all important first impressions that visitors see upon coming into town from the Ft Pitt tunnels.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 9:59 PM

^ yes, and to bring some life to that completely dead corner of downtown! I truly despise the entire part of downtown bordering on Point State Park. Like BrianTH mentioned, that parking lot is terrible. I’d actually like to see the entire eastern (east of 279 overpass) section of the park redeveloped. It’s empty around 90% of the year because there is nothing the least bit inviting about being there. The only time it’s really used is for the arts festival... and that sucks anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations