HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:25 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I hope this does not turn into a racial issue.
Too late.

Where's the push to get a JFK Blvd? Or a Mark Hatfield Dr?

I know.... how about a Jesus Christ Avenue? Where's the uproar from the Christians?

Seriously, if the Latino community wants to honor Chesar Chavez by naming something after him, fine. But there are rules governing the renaming of city streets, put in place after Front was renamed to Naito. It's not just a matter of changing a few street signs. There are real costs imposed on any business or residence located on the street. At the very least, follow the rules. Oh yeah, and don't piss off the neighborhood where you want to rename the street. Not a great way to gain support for your cause (Oops... too late).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:54 PM
Bears of antiquity

Pretty sure that a large amount of streets in Portland are named for rich white families.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Pretty sure that a large amount of streets in Portland are named for rich white families.
Many of the streets in Portland are named for people/families that were prominent during the pioneer days when the city was first founded and contributed to the development of the city (insert your own opinion about their contribution here). Most of them became well off (not sure "rich" is accurate for all of them) at some point in their lives but many came to Oregon with little resources and made a success of themselves.

I think the same is true in your town of Seattle, alexjon.

Now, 150 years later, it's time to honor another pioneer, and name a street after Chavez. But please don't dismiss the history and importance of our existing landmarks by dissing them as being named for "rich white families".

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 9:27 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Many of the streets in Portland are named for people/families that were prominent during the pioneer days when the city was first founded and contributed to the development of the city (insert your own opinion about their contribution here). Most of them became well off (not sure "rich" is accurate for all of them) at some point in their lives but many came to Oregon with little resources and made a success of themselves.

I think the same is true in your town of Seattle, alexjon.

Now, 150 years later, it's time to honor another pioneer, and name a street after Chavez. But please don't dismiss the history and importance of our existing landmarks by dissing them as being named for "rich white families".
No, I'm not dismissing anything; pardon the flippant tone of what I said.

It's just a flash counter-statement to the whole "Why should we name a street after some mexican" sentiment that is running rampant all through Portland.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 9:31 PM

I don't care who it is, i don't think we should be re-naming any streets in portland anymore. Naming? Sure. Re-naming? No.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 9:40 PM

Why not name the new plaza/park going in downtown Portland (behind the Fox Tower and across the street from the upcoming Park Avenue West tower "Chavez Plaza"? In fact, I am going to send an email to the city suggesting this idea before this whole issue really turns ugly.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 9:47 PM
Bears of antiquity

A highly-trafficked road is very different from a park block.

They wanted a road in an area that is traditionally home to many minority communities, but the gentrified population said "no". The mayor throws them a silly bone that doesn't really do much to honor the spirit of the original renaming, and that inflames the opposition even more.

WTG, PDX.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:14 PM

⬆ I take it you haven't visited many of the world's plaza's/parks named after historical individuals.. The city expects this plaza to be highly utilized by the public. Naming it honoring Mr. Chavez could be as educational to the masses as naming a street, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:44 PM
Bears of antiquity

I take it you don't know me very well.

Renaming streets is far less painful than people are making it out to be, and I'm finding it funny that so many people are rolling their eyes and saying "Oh great, I can't wait til the mexican groups start calling this a racism thing!"

I don't recall any great people being named "Interstate", and I don't remember being able to take Interstate all the way into Vancouver in the recent past.

I do recall, however, that there is a more notable plaza within feet of PB5.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:19 PM

⬆ You are correct...I don't know you, period, but your statement implied that naming a plaza/park wasn't on par of naming a street in honor of someone. That said..... Renaming streets may not be painful, in the usual sense, but it can be expensive for the city as well as for those who have business interests aligning the street. Are you willing to fork over some of your Seattle earned money to help defray the costs? BTW, I wouldn't have a problem renaming Pioneer Courthouse Square or the South Park lots but considering there is a new plazing rising in downtown without a name...at least it was a suggestion. Does Seattle have a Chavez Avenue, Street or Blvd.? I take it that it must since you are so interested in the PDX issue.

BTW, I just received an email from the mayor thanking me for the suggestion. I am sure he is receiving a lot of divisive emails, as well as suggestions, regarding this issue. Like I said: I would not like this to become more of a racial issue than it is currently.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:25 PM
Bears of antiquity

I am interested in Portland issues since I lived there and since I plan on living there again in the future.

My issue with PB5 is that it's behind buildings and generally secluded. It might be quaint, but there are so many parks like that. It might not have a settled name, but it's not done, and while it will be done soon, it does nothing to defray the immediate situation.

And as far as additional costs and expenses go, there is no good way to address that, since everything has a pricetag nowadays

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:37 PM

⬆ Do you think renaming any street, whether it's 4th Avenue or another, the change will happen overnight? Naw...won't happen. It will take time, and money, before the prior name is dropped entirely..plus, I understand the Hispanic community, and supporters, do not care for the idea of renaming of 4th Avenue.. Am I right, or wrong...?

Like you, being a former resident of both Portland and Seattle, I try to follow issue's in both cities. I think this particular issue has reached the point where only someone's idea/suggestion of naming/renaming a park/plaza/street "just" might gain some support within the "whole community". I don't think this issue was handled properly from the beginning....it appears that the Mayor, with little public input, tried to push this through. At least this is my impression.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:46 PM
Bears of antiquity

I think instead of what's going on-- a series of people speaking out and calling this move "wrong" and arguing ad nauseum, they should just come out with alternate suggestions as you have, and I really do appreciate people like you for your ideas.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 2:23 AM

i know it kind of reeks of europe, but i like it when cities name streets after people, especially when they use the full name - it's not obvious that lovejoy was named after a person, but you can't help it with places like max-weber-platz in munich or avenue victor hugo in paris. in fact, here we are, supposedly a center of the creative class, we should be honoring more creative people this way. how about a linus pauling boulevard? or douglas adams avenue?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 5:03 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
how about a linus pauling boulevard? or douglas adams avenue?
If a street in Portland were to be named after a science fiction writer it should be Ursula K. LeGuinn since she lives here...this of course would be after she passes, she's still alive.
While looking at a list of famous Portlanders, I noticed that both the new Bionic woman (Katee Sackhoff) and the original legendary Bionic woman (Lindsay Wagner) are both from Portland. I think 10th avenue should be renamed Bionic Woman Way.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHEARTPDX
If a street in Portland were to be named after a science fiction writer it should be Ursula K.
I vote for Ron Hubbard...should be a good draw to get the crazy rich, crazy hollywood actors up here and spending their money on condos.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 5:27 PM
Bears of antiquity

I was going to suggest that one children's writer, but I forgot her name-- and I was almost going to look into getting my grandma to swing for one of those places above the library dedicated to her.

Another suggestion: Randall O'Toole Way. The stretch of I-5 from the columbia to the rose quarter. Stop-and-go traffic and people sick from pollution along the fringes.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 5:30 PM

^Beverly Cleary?

Yes, she does need a street named after her!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 6:04 PM

^^^ Good one.

Ursula Le Guin, too.

Er, wait, is Beverly Cleary still alive?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 6:04 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^Beverly Cleary?

Yes, she does need a street named after her!

Haha, oops.

That's what I get for living in Beaverton for so long... the exhaust got to me after a while!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure