HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

102nd Street Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Edmonton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
Looks fantastic. Sounds like lots of pent-up demand in Edmonton so I imagine this one is likely to proceed fairly quickly?
Yes there was some pent up demand, but we will soon have 3 office towers under construction downtown. There really is one more large RFP out there (Enbridge) so it may start, however I believe it will go in a couple years and not right away as the market will take a little breather and see what happens with the 3 towers going up.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 6:10 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 3:49 AM

When is this one going to start?

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 9:54 PM
Urban Advocate

Not anytime soon, as any potential leasor has signed elsewhere and other towers are going up instead.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 8:59 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

For a little context for those of you not from Edmonton, the podium was designed and built in the mid to late 80's for the original design of the project known as Manulife Place West.

It had a triangular 32-story tower with an adjacent 20 story hotel tower planned but only the podium was constructed until demand picked up, which it didn't do here until the last 3-4 years. In fact the entire podium spent about 10 years mothballed after the retail mall that opened with failed in the last big economic crunch of 1988-1991. Then the podium was mostly leased out to Dynalife (a private medical lab services contractor) and the U of A which extended its reach from the next-door Enterprise Square building aka the Hudson Bay Galleria which was another failed shopping mall built out of the abandoned original Bay store... I only have fleeting memories of visiting The Book Company on the main floor which was located where A-Channel now CITY-TV station was (until last year) in Enterprise Square and passing through an open but abandoned smaller Bay store that was open for maybe a year or two before it was relocated to fill in the cavernous Woodward's location on Churchill Square.

I personally would love to see this one built (a bit taller as a mixed-use supertall maybe) or its original 80's design which was decent as well... I think once this gets built in some form, we can then say downtown Edmonton has bounced back from the brink of being a new Detroit or downtown Cleveland... Sure it's light year's better than what it was in the darkest days (1991-2005) but it still pales in comparison to similar downtown's...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:17 AM
Love skyscrapers

What was the max height the poduim could hold ? how far down did the pilings go ,and can it support a tower taller then the 160 meter manulife 2 that was once proposed.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 11:11 PM

I guess this ain't happening anytime soon

Alberta Health Services, Dynalife agree on five year extension for medical testing
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...edical-testing

Of interest to 102 St:

Quote:
It is not clear if Dynalife is still facing eviction from its current headquarters next year, though there are indications the building’s landlord — the government-owned Alberta Investment Management Corporation — might be open to an extension.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 1:28 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I think we're gonna start to see a freeze in new proposals for at least the next 2-3 years, which is a shame because finally Edmonton was on a roll. But considering where Calgary is right now and the Alberta economy in general to be fully expected...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 2:31 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Yeah the lease renewal shouldn't have been the bigger indicator that this wasn't going ahead, given the expected vacancy rate as our new towers come online and offices consolidated.

Let's hope some of the rumoured conversions of old office stock proceed and soften the blow a bit.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals