HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The massive firm Lord Norman Foster founded with at least a dozen senior partners designed Comcast. I'll guess Nigel Dancey' s team designed it with no participation from the Lord himself. The tower is very innovative than beautiful which is Dancey's trademark.
In reality, Norman said himself that the split core idea was his own and that it was a culmination of other projects he had done like the Commerzbank Tower in Frankfurt.You can see similar things with 270 Park's current construction

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 6:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
No offence to Philadelphia, but that Comcast building should have been prevented on account of its being an architectural felony.
What is wrong with an oversized Walkie Talkie?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The massive firm Lord Norman Foster founded with at least a dozen senior partners designed Comcast. I'll guess Nigel Dancey' s team designed it with no participation from the Lord himself. The tower is very innovative than beautiful which is Dancey's trademark.
Just totally incorrect. Norman Foster was one of the lead designers on the Comcast Technology Center. It was a $1.5B building. Norman Foster was even present in Philadelphia for at least one press conference when the building was announced.

https://corporate.comcast.com/news-i...nter-timelapse

https://www.architectmagazine.com/de...philadelphia_o

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 7:40 PM

^Ugh, yes, it resembles a walkie-talkie. It's the personification of "clunky and ungainly". It wouldn't be nearly as bad without those extra vertical pieces at the top.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
You posted by far the best angle of it, and the only one that actually looks somewhat good IMO. From the sides it's extremely wide, and from the opposite side of this picture it's basically just a spire poking up behind the rest of the towers. Up close the cladding is tacky, and it looks somewhat squat next to the higher roof of Comcast 1.

I actually didn't really like the first Comcast building until this one was built. Then side by side in comparison, the first one suddenly looked a lot more handsome next to its uglier younger sibling.
The wideness is actually due to the function of the building. A perfect example of the form fits function. This is a technology building housed in a skyscraper topped by a 5-star hotel. Tech buildings are usually wider floor plates and located in office parks. This is the reason for the wider floor plates.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but tacky? That's definitely not a way to describe this building. The finishes are extremely high end. All of these comments are leading me to believe that none of you have been to see it in-person. It's extremely impressive in-person.

Photos from:
https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...y-center/16192

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 10:48 PM

yeah not sure where the hate is coming from. It's one of my favorite supertalls in America. Granted I think it'd look even better if the spire were a little bit shorter (or other setbacks proportionally taller), but it's a solid design. I wish Salesforce tower here in Chicago turned out like this.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 1:35 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
I wish Salesforce tower here in Chicago turned out like this.
Ohh, that would've been tasty!

Salesforce Chicago is nice enough for what is, but it's extremely safe.

Wolf Point deserved more than "safe".

Oh well.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 8:49 PM

Fort Lauderdale's Skyline is expected to grow to the 2nd largest in Florida in the coming decade:

Last edited by Altoic; Apr 14, 2024 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
Fort Lauderdale's Skyline is expected to grow to the 2nd largest in Florida in the coming decade:
Fort Lauderdale's mostly residential skyline has really taken off these past few years. The next batch of coming 500ft+ buildings will really alter the skyline.

From a few weeks ago:

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 3:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lots of potential. A lot of that Miami spillover is occurring.

Should go without question that if we are talking 2000 onward, Miami and its South Florida nodes or proxies have seen dramatic change. Dramatic is an understatement. From relatively small to the 3rd largest in the nation. Everything from Miami proper to Fort Lauderdale to Sunny Isles Beach (American quasi-Dubai in terms of look).

Up North, Jersey City dramatically changed, even with a secondary node popping up in the form of Journal Square. NYC's satellite skylines changed (LIC, DoBro, along with the West side of Manhattan).

In the South, Austin and I'd even say Dallas had some expansion.

Northwest, Seattle is a big one. 2000 vs 2024... a ton has changed for Seattle.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Lots of potential. A lot of that Miami spillover is occurring.

Should go without question that if we are talking 2000 onward, Miami and its South Florida nodes or proxies have seen dramatic change. Dramatic is an understatement. From relatively small to the 3rd largest in the nation. Everything from Miami proper to Fort Lauderdale to Sunny Isles Beach (American quasi-Dubai in terms of look).

Up North, Jersey City dramatically changed, even with a secondary node popping up in the form of Journal Square. NYC's satellite skylines changed (LIC, DoBro, along with the West side of Manhattan).

In the South, Austin and I'd even say Dallas had some expansion.

Northwest, Seattle is a big one. 2000 vs 2024... a ton has changed for Seattle.
I would say that the downtown expansion in Austin has been incredible. There's been a lot of expansion in Houston as well, but only some in downtown, and a lot in the nodes like Uptown, Allen Parkway, Upper Kirby, and the med center area. I'm not that familiar with Dallas, although I know there's been a lot of expansion in that area just north of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:05 AM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I would say that the downtown expansion in Austin has been incredible. There's been a lot of expansion in Houston as well, but only some in downtown, and a lot in the nodes like Uptown, Allen Parkway, Upper Kirby, and the med center area. I'm not that familiar with Dallas, although I know there's been a lot of expansion in that area just north of downtown.
Austin today does not even resemble Austin in 2000. If it weren’t for the state Capitol, you wouldn’t be able to tell it was the same city. They have built a lot in the last 25 years for sure but Austin also had a dogshit skyline in 2000. I’m pretty sure that San Antonio or even Tulsa had a better skyline than Austin in 2000 (no disrespect against Tulsa).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:19 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post
Austin today does not even resemble Austin in 2000. If it weren’t for the state Capitol, you wouldn’t be able to tell it was the same city. They have built a lot in the last 25 years for sure but Austin also had a dogshit skyline in 2000. I’m pretty sure that San Antonio or even Tulsa had a better skyline than Austin in 2000 (no disrespect against Tulsa).
Yes it was definitely an under-performer. I remember that quite vividly.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 6:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If some of the pipeline projects become reality, in theory, a dramatic change will be Newark NJ and Newark NJ is a city that hasn't really seen much movement for decades. Starting to see some changes. We had the Shaq development and now Halo Phase I is topped out, but these are small cakes compared to what is in the pipeline. More a question of bulk and density, with high unit counts but something that could dramatically change the skyline node via the Passaic River. A lot of the main developments have been low rise in nature, and conversions in nature but the skyscrapers are coming to Newark. Only a matter of time, with some approved and some in the pipeline.

Overtime, spillover from Jersey City will make its way to Newark.

One city to note in NJ is also New Brunswick NJ. Granted its not significant but something since 2000, some developments have risen. Something like Helix below is significant for the area. For most, a 42 floor tower might be nothing to pay attention to but for NB, this is a big deal.

Credit: https://www.tapinto.net/towns/new-br...planning-board

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 6:46 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

One tri-state satellite city that nobody talks about is New Rochelle.

With respect to the OP's topic of skyline change since 2000, New Rochelle has had an overhaul.

Some Developments:

360 Huguenot
The Printhouse
Holiday Inn Express
55 Clinton
The Standard
45 Harrison
Millennia
2 Shearwood
Watermark Pointe
NewRo Studios
Pratt Landing
Rockwell
Illustrator
Huguenot
10 Commerce
The Grand
26 Garden Street
Stella
277 North
500 Main Street
2 Hamilton
Craft House
One Clinton Park
The Arc
11 Garden Street
327 Huguenot
3Thirty3
The Lombardi
Hammel 1
Hammel 2
24 Maple - Modera
25 Maple
Tryp Hotel
The Atelier
316 Huguenot
11 Lawton
525 Main
247 North Avenue
The Renaissance at Lincoln Park
14 LeCount - Phase 2
440 Main/10 Locust

New Rochelle by Dave NY, on Flickr

Over Development by June Marie, on Flickr

Credit: nr1010

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Don't forget Queens. I saw that they're building two towers right next to One Court Square in LIC that are taller than it. The 1CS was the tallest tower on Long Island for 30 years. According to Wikipedia, it was the tallest building in NYS outside of Manhattan over that time. It's probably not in the top 5 anymore.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Don't forget Queens. I saw that they're building two towers right next to One Court Square in LIC that are taller than it. The 1CS was the tallest tower on Long Island for 30 years. According to Wikipedia, it was the tallest building in NYS outside of Manhattan over that time. It's probably not in the top 5 anymore.
Absolutely. LIC in Queens is booming. 1 CS is becoming what the Chrysler building is to the rest of Midtown East.

Photo below is recent. One below that is from 2015.

baronsonphoto-20240325-24 by Brian Aronson, on Flickr

Comparison in 2015.

2015:

It really is quite dramatic. And if we look at photos from early 2000's, LIC in Queens was laughable.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I stayed at a hotel right in the middle of all that construction in the first pic (close to blue building u/c with red top) and it was insane with all the activity and construction noise.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 12:01 AM

And Long Island City today, a city unto itself, is still building like crazy. From last month:

mplstodd

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 12:13 AM

And just a few thousand feet away is the East River waterfront, which has sprung its own skyline hugging the coastline for miles and miles.

Here is just a portion of it built in the past 3 years:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions