HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
I’ve been here longer than most of you, I think since its inception- and it feels like NOTHING has ever changed or been updated. In fact, I’ve been on the web since I used the Mosaic browser in the early 90s.

This site always feels like taking a step back in time. It’s shameful how primitive it is, but I’m guessing there is no money or desire to change what it is, at this point.
It's not about time or money. A Mod could just tag the thread and have it show up here.

The same thing goes for projects under 10 (or 12 or whatever stories) that get that have their threads culled so that every project that's not a "Skyscraper" gets thrown together in general dev even if it's a large or important project.

There are just arbitrary rules that make the forum less useful. I'm not sure who decides these things or what would happen if one of the Philly mods just decided to run things better. Would a supermod come down from on high and blow up the forum?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 12:57 PM

This is automatically in the running for the best developments of 2022! I have long been fascinated with the Steel Heddle Building on 21st and Allegheny, even before seeing it outside of the window of my train each morning. I've been dreaming about seeing it redeveloped for a very long time and it looks like that time may finally be here:

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...s-studio-space

TBH, I believe that Tioga has development potential. The housing stock is beautiful, it isn't too bad crime-wise (there's more crime on the Nicetown side above Erie Avenue), several major hospitals have a presence on North Broad, and there will be life sciences jobs coming to the former Budd Factory. I would love to see the current building boom expand to that neighborhood.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:00 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I would like cars not running every red light going 35 mph on local streets. It's awful crossing washington ave now. We don't need faster cars on any local street. Look at how awful Aramingo ave is. If you want good car roads Texas and Florida would be the better states for car only infrastructure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
building the city to make everyone drive everywhere creates a lot more emissions........
I am not saying build things just for the car and to make everyone drive everywhere, but completely excluding them and not improving the car transportation network would be a misstep; there can be a happy medium and cars are still a very necessary part of life at the moment.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
It's not about time or money. A Mod could just tag the thread and have it show up here.

The same thing goes for projects under 10 (or 12 or whatever stories) that get that have their threads culled so that every project that's not a "Skyscraper" gets thrown together in general dev even if it's a large or important project.

There are just arbitrary rules that make the forum less useful. I'm not sure who decides these things or what would happen if one of the Philly mods just decided to run things better. Would a supermod come down from on high and blow up the forum?
I was told ages ago that we literally cannot tag the Transit or Politics threads, but I'll look into it.

As for projects under 10 stories, this website is called skyscraperpage. It's not our rule, it's the website's.

Edit: I researched into how most city comps on this website don't have non-construction threads in their subforums... with the notable exception of San Antonio and Austin. This is because the Philly compilation is just that: a compilation. San Antonio's seems to be a dedicated subforum within the website (447).

In order to tag the Transportation Thread/Politics Thread/Anything else as Philadelphia, we'd need to petition the admins of this website to create a new Philadelphia subforum, and then move all of the existing threads into that subforum. What you are asking for cannot be done in its current configuration.

Genuine question though: beyond that, what could I or Summers be doing better? I've only been Mod for a little while, and this was the first time I ever really acted on that authority. What would you like to see out of this mod team?

Last edited by mcgrath618; Jun 6, 2022 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:07 PM

545 North Broad - 6/5 - the corrugated metal cladding isn't as sharp as I'd hoped for but hoping it will look better as it progresses

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:08 PM

Broad & Spring Garden - 6/5 things are wrapping up here. could be better, could be worse

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:12 PM

Anyone know what the story is with the hulking, rusting disaster of a building that's the brand new Marriott Residence Inn visible right off I76 near Bala/Manayunk?

Was the rust cover exterior part of the design? Is someone getting fired for it?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:12 PM

^^It's not as awful as the renderings made it look.

On the other hand, 545 N. Broad is turning out to be a real stunner!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^It's not as awful as the renderings made it look.

On the other hand, 545 N. Broad is turning out to be a real stunner!
Obviously it’s better than a parking lot and it’ll bring more life to the neighborhood. But I agree could be better, could be worse but I’m overall happy it’s there. I live a few blocks away.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry....
Apology accepted. Happy to continue this discussion elsewhere. My pithy comments don't qualify as sufficient arguments, but neither do lengthy "arguments" by assertion.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I was told ages ago that we literally cannot tag the Transit or Politics threads, but I'll look into it.

As for projects under 10 stories, this website is called skyscraperpage. It's not our rule, it's the website's.

Edit: I researched into how most city comps on this website don't have non-construction threads in their subforums... with the notable exception of San Antonio and Austin. This is because the Philly compilation is just that: a compilation. San Antonio's seems to be a dedicated subforum within the website (447).

In order to tag the Transportation Thread/Politics Thread/Anything else as Philadelphia, we'd need to petition the admins of this website to create a new Philadelphia subforum, and then move all of the existing threads into that subforum. What you are asking for cannot be done in its current configuration.

Genuine question though: beyond that, what could I or Summers be doing better? I've only been Mod for a little while, and this was the first time I ever really acted on that authority. What would you like to see out of this mod team?
I'm fine with going to the Admins to see if we can create a Philadelphia subforum. Philadelphia is one of the most active cities on SkyscraperPage. It's possible we can get something like that created.

But yeah, it's called SkyscraperPage Forum for a reaosn. Even 12-stories has been debated as a low threshold, but I'm happy it's at 12-stories. I don't think anything else needs it's own seperate thread. Not really necessary when it can be covered under the Lowrise/General Developments Thread.

Remember, we also have to try to make sure threads are active with discussion and activity. Having 50 different threads created for 50 different lowrise/general development projects with MAYBE one or two posts in them a month each doesn't make the forum seem very active, and also makes things far more confusing in my opinion.

Lastly, the forum is primarily dedicated to skyscraper and real estate development. It's not really a political and current events forum. Therefore, it's not really the right place to talk about these things. I understand these conversations pop up from time to time, and we're all guilty for getting sucked into them whether they're on topic or not, but it's not really the forum to discuss these kinds of things.

Hope that makes sense. McGrath in I will see what we can get accomplished regarding a Philadelphia Subforum.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Apology accepted. Happy to continue this discussion elsewhere. My pithy comments don't qualify as sufficient arguments, but neither do lengthy "arguments" by assertion.
Ha. I will actually apologize to you. I'm sorry.

Yes, we'll move on.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Anyone know what the story is with the hulking, rusting disaster of a building that's the brand new Marriott Residence Inn visible right off I76 near Bala/Manayunk?

Was the rust cover exterior part of the design? Is someone getting fired for it?
The rusted facade is material that was salvaged from the penncoyd ironworks that historically occupied the site. a lot of the industrial heritage is retained and activated at the site and its really lovely from the ground. i've been to the Landing restaurant there a few time and definitely recommend it. i'm looking forward to a night out dining at the newly opened Lark restaurant.

This is definitely a place worth checking out, especially if you access on foot via the Penncoyd bridge from the United Artist parking lot on the Manayunk side. check out inga's article https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210607.html

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Ha. I will actually apologize to you. I'm sorry.

Yes, we'll move on.
Agreed. I too apologize for the occasional failure to resist the urge to go off topic.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:23 PM

City to apply for funds to cap portion of Vine Street Expressway through Chinatown

Quote:
Philadelphia is taking steps to cap a portion of the Vine Street Expressway that cuts through Chinatown, a long sought-after upgrade that supporters say would help right historic inequities, while making the neighborhood a safer and healthier place to live and work.

In partnership with the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation, the city will soon apply for a federal grant through the Reconnecting Communities Pilot Program. The new initiative is an offshoot of President Biden’s $1 trillion infrastructure bill that’s designed to improve roadways that create barriers to “mobility, access, or economic development,” according to the program’s website.

Christopher Puchalsky, director of strategic initiatives with the Office of Transportation, Infrastructure and Sustainability, said the city is seeking a planning grant through the program, which is slated to end in fiscal year 2026.

The grant would be used to develop a final concept for the project, which is expected to address an area between 9th and Broad Streets, including where those blocks cross Vine Street. The funding would also go towards determining what kind of project is possible from an engineering and economic standpoint, he said.
Read more at: https://whyy.org/articles/philly-vin...-funds-to-cap/

If realized, this will be transformative for the city. My only criticism is this: why stop at Broad? Everything between 9th and 22nd Streets should be capped, and the 15th/16th Street exit should be replaced by scissor ramps to free up a large, developable parcel between 15th, 16th, Vine, and Callowhill Streets.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:50 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Obviously it’s better than a parking lot and it’ll bring more life to the neighborhood. But I agree could be better, could be worse but I’m overall happy it’s there. I live a few blocks away.
The first 2 floors are okay, especially with the Giant. The upper levels particularly the chunk at the corner with the tiny windows is especially awful. Cladding this building in brick veneer would have gone a long way. 545 N. Broad across the street is a great addition though.

Are street trees or planters in the works or this is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
City to apply for funds to cap portion of Vine Street Expressway through Chinatown

Read more at: https://whyy.org/articles/philly-vin...-funds-to-cap/

If realized, this will be transformative for the city. My only criticism is this: why stop at Broad? Everything between 9th and 22nd Streets should be capped, and the 15th/16th Street exit should be replaced by scissor ramps to free up a large, developable parcel between 15th, 16th, Vine, and Callowhill Streets.
Amazing news, but agreed, it should be capped through 22nd Street. If I become Jeff Bezos level rich, I will make sure it happens.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 5:12 PM

Just realized that this thread is about to hit its page limit...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 5:39 PM
Show me the blueprints

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 5:54 PM

I'll take it! It's better than nothing. If 676 gets capped from 10th to Broad, there's no way it won't eventually happen from Broad to 22nd. It's only a matter of time at this point.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 6:12 PM

I think 22nd to Broad is part of the Parkway redesign IIRC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development