HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:38 PM

Pardon the expression but you Winnipeg guys sure seem to be fairweather fans. You're already writing them off before the games are even played, holy smokes! If you guys don't get Lapo back you'll regret losing Osh. Jones has created such goodwill in Montreal they'd be crazy not to give him what he wants to stay, so he's out.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Between the terrible ticket sales, the terrible weather and what's sure to be even more a chore to reach the stadium tomorrow I bet there won't be more than 10,000 at the stadium.
You're probably right. 10K would be an accurate over-under line. The fact that the Bombers have seemingly run out of gas down the stretch won't help either.

I gave away my own tickets because my family scheduled Thanksgiving dinner for Saturday... but then they moved it to Sunday because of the weather. I guess I could buy another pair but that would be tough to swallow considering all of the above factors... I might just stay home and watch on TV.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Pardon the expression but you Winnipeg guys sure seem to be fairweather fans. You're already writing them off before the games are even played, holy smokes! If you guys don't get Lapo back you'll regret losing Osh. Jones has created such goodwill in Montreal they'd be crazy not to give him what he wants to stay, so he's out.
The only thing I regret is the last six years with O'Shea at the helm

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:41 PM

we have 50 cm of snow this weekend with car crashes everywhere 40,000 people out of power right now and trees collapsing everywhere from the weight of the snow on the leaves. I actually think the bombers can win tomorrow as its perfect for a running team like us and Stanback is out for Montreal this week.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
we have 50 cm of snow this weekend with car crashes everywhere 40,000 people out of power right now and trees collapsing everywhere from the weight of the snow on the leaves. I actually think the bombers can win tomorrow as its perfect for a running team like us and Stanback is out for Montreal this week.
I'll agree with you there, Stanback and Matthews are both out and the weather is tailor made for the type of game the Bombers play. The stars have aligned so the Bombers should have a good shot at winning.

But yeah, the weather is to the point where you wonder if the game will even go on. Have the Alouettes even landed in Winnipeg? I heard there were a bunch of flight cancellations/diversions.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:21 PM

Clarity coming to Alouettes' ownership picture, president Boivin says
"I continue to be hopeful ... we'll get something done (with new ownership) soon, hopefully in the next month," Patrick Boivin says.
Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette October 7, 2019

The atmosphere was electric at Molson Stadium Saturday night, thousands of people simultaneously turning their cellphones on, shining their lights as the Alouettes defeated Calgary, clinching a playoff berth for the first time since 2014. That engagement and emotion hasn’t been seen lately.

But with a new week also comes the reality that much remains uncertain, unstable and still to be determined with this Canadian Football League team. Will a new ownership group ever emerge? Will interim head coach Khari Jones be signed to a new deal? Will there be a team moving forward or will the Als’ eight remaining partners — the league’s other franchises — eventually grow tired of footing the bill?

“It’s clear to everyone. Not only does the business community at large, but specific individuals in Montreal and outside, want this team to stay in Montreal. To me, that’s the reassuring thing that ultimately presents the opportunity to go forward,” Als president Patrick Boivin told the Montreal Gazette on Monday in a wide-ranging interview.

Boivin is convinced the Als will remain in the city next season and beyond, but quickly added that’s his opinion. “I continue to be hopeful … we’ll get something done (with new ownership) soon, hopefully in the next month, if not before the end of the year so we can start fresh.”

Sources continue to indicate brothers Jeffrey and Peter Lenkov — originally from Laval but now living in Los Angeles — remain the front-runners. But another theory recently raised has Pierre Boivin, Patrick’s father, and Claridge, the Montreal private investment firm of which he’s president and CEO, perhaps kicking the tires, especially after Stephen Bronfman last week said the Als could potentially play in a proposed baseball stadium. Bronfman repeatedly has told the Gazette he’s not interested in owning the Als but would lend some assistance, if necessary, to prevent the team from relocating or folding.

The Als’ president claimed he has no knowledge of his father’s potential interest. “We certainly talk, but there has to be a wall on a number of things,” he said.

The Lenkov brothers, meanwhile, have attended two Alouettes games this season and were expected last Saturday. While they have told people they believe they’re close to acquiring the team, they didn’t want to travel to Montreal until the deal’s closed and decided to change their plans at the last minute.

“I’ve met them,” said Boivin, who had them seated in the owner’s box on July 20 against Edmonton. “They’re emotional and enthusiastic about the possibility. I know they’re still interested, much like another couple of groups.”

Boivin said he has daily conversations with either CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie, league officials, potential owners or lawyers. He believes the delay in selling the team comes from the various groups attempting to determine what precisely they’re inheriting and what the future looks like. According to a source, potential owners have been told to budget for losses of $7 million in 2020.

“I’m not the seller, but to a degree, I’m selling the team, still pitching the opportunity that’s available,” Boivin explained. “So many groups have done a lot of work. Now it’s fine-tuning and getting some clarity. Whether the season needs to end to topple over and become clear, it’s hard to pronounce myself on timelines.”

While the Als have been surprisingly successful on the field, there is no certainty that Jones, a potential coach of the year candidate, will return. Assistant general manager Joe Mack, who took over when Kavis Reed was fired in July, has stated he doesn’t expect to return. And only one player, backup quarterback Matthew Shiltz, has been re-signed.

While Boivin said he has the authority to extend Jones’s contract, along with his assistants, he said that decision should be left to the new GM. And he doesn’t want to put pressure or expectations on whomever will occupy that role.

“At some point, we need to make decisions. We can’t sit in this limbo,” Boivin acknowledged. “But you also do things in the right order. New owners come in and name a GM — that’s the biggest chair that sits empty. I do realize time’s against us. At some point decisions need to be made. I still think we have a bit of runway.

“It’s just a question of time, but at some point the team and business must evolve. We’re talking the next four to eight weeks.”

Boivin won’t say anything further on Reed’s firing, except that it wasn’t a football-related decision. To a degree, he added, that has manifested itself in the Als’ 8-6 record; Reed painstakingly having built this team over three seasons.

While the Als are averaging 17,637 spectators, Boivin admitted between 2,000 and 6,000 tickets have been given away for each game, to fill the stadium and improve the atmosphere. The team has about 8,500 season-ticket holders.

“If we were selling them we wouldn’t be giving them away,” he said.

The Als will probably host a semifinal playoff game, Nov. 10, to be played at Molson Stadium. They would have to win their remaining four games, combined with Hamilton losing its last three, to finish first and host the division final, which could be played at Olympic Stadium, Boivin added.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:30 PM

that would be huge if the Als could play in a new 32000 seat stadium but the seating design has to be good enough to warrant the move.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:31 PM

I would certainly prefer Boivin and his group as they have the resources and he knows how to run the club already and just need to resign adams and jones.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:57 PM

Quote:
that would be huge if the Als could play in a new 32000 seat stadium but the seating design has to be good enough to warrant the move.
Probably not a good idea

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The only thing I regret is the last six years with O'Shea at the helm
Winnipeg fans are among the least fairweather fans in the entire CFL. Elly needs to look at the tv ratings and attendance numbers for Bomber games over the years rather than some anecdotal evidence of a few quotes on this forum.

BC, Montreal have the biggest fairweather fans out there. Same with Ottawa based on past historical evidence. Hamilton had terrible attendance for much of its recent existence whenever they had a few consecutive mediocre seasons. Calgary's attendance would drop through the floor if they have more than a few seasons of bad football teams. Edmonton has seen a noticeable decline in attendance with some middling teams. I guess Toronto's fans aren't fairweather - they consistently don't show up whether the team plays well or not!

Only Saskatchewan is largely immune to this phenomenon.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
We have no idea if Montreal can afford to keep Jones after this season or if the team will even exist in 2020.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'll agree with you there, Stanback and Matthews are both out and the weather is tailor made for the type of game the Bombers play. The stars have aligned so the Bombers should have a good shot at winning.

But yeah, the weather is to the point where you wonder if the game will even go on. Have the Alouettes even landed in Winnipeg? I heard there were a bunch of flight cancellations/diversions.
If they don't make it in by tomorrow, it's only fair to forfeit the game to the Bombers.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
We have no idea if Montreal can afford to keep Jones after this season or if the team will even exist in 2020.
Please.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Winnipeg fans are among the least fairweather fans in the entire CFL. Elly needs to look at the tv ratings and attendance numbers for Bomber games over the years rather than some anecdotal evidence of a few quotes on this forum.
Having a best friend in college from the Peg who used to call home to check how the Bombers were doing, that's what I used to think. Judging by the posts in this forum with people going full pitchfork mode after a few losses, I'm no longer as sure as I used to be.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
If Percival-Molson Stadium was on the verge of collapse and unfit for a pro team, then and only then would a baseball stadium be fit for the Als to use. If the choice was folding or playing in an ill-suited facility you of course would choose the ill-suited facility every time.

The sight lines would be awful for the Als in any proposed baseball-first stadium. It should be a no-go long term.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Having a best friend in college from the Peg who used to call home to check how the Bombers were doing, that's what I used to think. Judging by the posts in this forum with people going full pitchfork mode after a few losses, I'm no longer as sure as I used to be.
Again you are using anecdotal evidence rather than recent historical tv ratings and attendance numbers which are far more representative of a team's "fandom."

O'Shea would have not been given 6 years with any other franchise...not with a near .500 record, no Grey Cup appearance, 1 playoff win.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
We go pitchfork (well, some of us) because we care. Everyone in town has opinions about the team. And we'll still be here cheering for the team and buying tickets long after O'Shea and Walters are gone.

When was the last time a head coach got a seventh season at the helm after failing to win a division final in the first six?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Again you are using anecdotal evidence rather than recent historical tv ratings and attendance numbers which are far more representative of a team's "fandom."

[B]O'Shea would have not been given 6 years with any other franchise...not with a near .500 record, no Grey Cup appearance, 1 playoff win.
[/B]

This brings to mind the Danny Barrett days with the riders from the early 2000s.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:52 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
[/B]

This brings to mind the Danny Barrett days with the riders from the early 2000s.
The Bombers have been contenders under O'Shea, year after year. Winning football playoff games is mostly random luck, especially in the West where all the teams that make the playoffs tend to be very strong.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 4:31 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Way
To
Go
STAMPS!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada