HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 8:00 PM

This area is where they should have built the new Moncton High School.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 1:54 PM

That big treed area between Crowley farm road and the development is where Moncton High should have been build.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 2:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That land is the UdeM endowment lands. I don't think they would take too kindly to an anglophone high school being built there.

MHS should have been built somewhere in the Harrisville area near Shediac Road.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 3:23 PM

I swear I could play Sim City for a few days and do a better job of some of that planning. Hrm... maybe a certain Sim City city size score should be a pre-req to working in municipal/provincial infrastructure planning?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 3:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is actually a large number of experienced Sim City players on this forum. There are threads on the Canada and General sections devoted to Sim City.

I suppose that it isn't surprising. Computerophiles with a strong interest in maps, geography, urban planning issues etc would naturally be drawn to a game like Sim City and to a forum such as this.

Maybe Sim City should be made a part of the curriculum of urban planning programs at university.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

That land is the UdeM endowment lands. I don't think they would take too kindly to an anglophone high school being built there.

MHS should have been built somewhere in the Harrisville area near Shediac Road.
MHS should have been built on the old CFB land on John street.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 5:48 PM

MonctonRad are you sure that's on their land? On the city zoning map it's zoned as low density residential. I agree tho, Shediac road would also be suitable.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 6:22 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
MonctonRad are you sure that's on their land? On the city zoning map it's zoned as low density residential. I agree tho, Shediac road would also be suitable.
Most of the land between Morton and the new Halls Creek development is zoned university. The only stuff that isn't is directly adjacent to McLaughlan Rd.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 12:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From CTV.ca

Universite de Moncton Planning Three Phase Expansion

The University of Moncton is about to grow almost double in size.
The university is planning a three-phase expansion which will include educational, residential and commercial buildings on 80 hectares of land owned by the school.
“The university has had this property since its inception and over the years, there’s been discussion in terms of how could we best use these lands,” says university president Raymond Theberge.
The project will take place in three phases. The first will see 18 hectares of the development dedicated to providing better on-campus services for 5,000 students and staff.
“We're going with a medical complex with a pharmacy, things like that,” says Georges Bouchard of U de M Development Inc.
“All these, at the same time, is helping to bring some services to the campus that does not exist now.”
The land will be leased to the developer for 50 years and the money will be put in a trust fund to support university research.
“We want to create certain kinds of partnerships with industry, with business, with government, with other educational institutions,” says Theberge.
Also included in the blueprints is the construction of a 100-room hotel and conference centre, to be built across the street from Moncton Stadium.
The idea is to create a university centre that will also be used by the community. The development team is adopting a similar model used by the University of British Columbia.
“This is a wonderful opportunity, not just for the University of Moncton, but for the region of Moncton, the Greater Moncton region, to benefit from the growth of the university,” says Theberge.
The university hopes to break ground in the summer, with phase one opening in 2015.
With files from CTV Atlantic's Jonathan MacInnis

This article nicely fleshes out the plans for the University endowment lands. In essence, UdeM owns as much land north of Mortin as it does south of Morton. While the lands to the south have been fully developed for the main campus, the lands to the north are still virgin territory. There is virtually no chance for future academic expansion on the campus as the university already provides a comprehensive academic environment including a full slate ofgraduate and professional programs including medicine and law. They don't really need the endowment lands for future growth. Instead, they are going to open up these lands for commercial and residential development, with leasing fees going towards funding academic programs at the university. Phase one will include a medical arts building, a conference centre and a hotel.

Crandall University off of Gorge Road also has a large amount of endowment land available, although they have a long way to go in terms of academic expansion. Mount Allison does not have the luxury of endowment lands and is pretty much hemmed in by the town of Sackville.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 12:41 AM

Glad to see that they are following UBC's lead for the planning of this project. The periphery of the Vancouver campus has a great mix of residential and commercial developments at the edge do the endowment lands. It really contributes to hustle and bustle and makes it feel like a real neighborhood. If they can replicate just part this, it'll be a success.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 7:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
there has been a very large lot cleared at the corner of Frenette and Deware. Same block as the "big guys" McKesson and Matrix (Shoppers). Don't know if this means immediate development or what but something is afoot.
Here you go mmmatt!

I drove by there the other day and construction work is well under way. It has a very large footprint (similar to McKesson) so I thereofore decided to do some detective work on the interweb and came up with this:

This property is being developed by Corey Craig Enterprises, and will be for Tri Can Tire Distributors http://tricantire.com.

The building will open in Fall 2014.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 3:41 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Here you go mmmatt!

I drove by there the other day and construction work is well under way. It has a very large footprint (similar to McKesson) so I thereofore decided to do some detective work on the interweb and came up with this:

This property is being developed by Corey Craig Enterprises, and will be for Tri Can Tire Distributors http://tricantire.com.

The building will open in Fall 2014.
Cool! Thanks for looking it up MonctonRad

Looks like a decent size building, a fine addition to the park.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the City of Moncton website:

New traffic signals on Elmwood Drive
December 16, 2013

MONCTON – The City of Moncton would like to advise the motoring public that new traffic signals at the intersection of Elmwood Drive at the Trans Canada interchange will be in operations effective at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, December 18, 2013.

Motorists are asked to pay extra attention when traveling on Elmwood Drive.

The City appreciates the cooperation of the motoring public.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 12:19 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Corey Craig Enterprises is planning on renovating the Tim Hortons at the intersection of Elmwood and Mill Road, presumably in a manner similar to the recently renovated Timmies on Mountain Road in NW Moncton at the corner of Lonsdale.

Just like at that location, they are planning on bringing in a temporary trailer for drive-thru customers during the renovation period.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 11:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepaa View Post
Anyone know what they are doing adjacent to the front parking lot at the Nature Park? There seems to be quite a lot of activity there. Completely speculation but it would be a great spot for a lodge of some sort, like the one they have in Mapleton. There were some signs that went up today, but it was just the construction company...
I drove by there today, and a moderately large brick building has been constructed. I'm still not sure entirely what this is, but I think there may be public washrooms going in there. The building is too large just for washrooms though, and I wonder also about storage for the park equipment and/or a small administrative office.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 12:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Vision Lands project in Moncton faces financial trouble
CBC News Posted: Jan 24, 2014 7:28 AM AT| Last Updated: Jan 24, 2014 7:28 AM AT

The Vision Lands project in Moncton has run into financial trouble.

The development was supposed to be a ground-breaking 260-acre sustainable neighbourhood next to the University of Moncton campus.

But only a handful of houses have been built and the developers have run into difficulty with their creditors,

read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...uble-1.2509294

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 12:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Monies have apparently been set aside in the new provincial budget to begin the process of relocating Ecole Champlain away from the adjacent heavy industrial area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Monies have apparently been set aside in the new provincial budget to begin the process of relocating Ecole Champlain away from the adjacent heavy industrial area.
Hopefully they learned their lesson about school relocations from the Moncton High scenario. Good on them tho if they can get a school away from an industrial area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Hopefully they learned their lesson about school relocations from the Moncton High scenario. Good on them tho if they can get a school away from an industrial area.
Yeah, this is one of those issues where I feel empathetic for everyone involved. I can understand parents not wanting to send their kids there. I can understand the City can't really afford to relocate the business. And moving a school is expensive, regardless of how you cut it. Poor planning, in the end. Lessons learned, I hope.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 10:47 PM

There's a new sign up at the old Deware's/Price Chopper. Whether it's morning or evening, it's always too dark to see it in detail when I drive by! From what I can tell, the rendering looks like a grey, generic 4 store mini-mall. Maybe the daylight will reveal more details, but I don't think any stores are listed. I mentioned earlier I had heard from the owners next door that the building was purchased by men from Halifax and he had heard of a possible TD Bank and Starbucks. Someone else on here had heard of a possible Pita Pit at that address. We shall see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces