HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 9:51 AM

How do you put more lanes on Elmwood Dr. going under the TCH to get to this proposed neighbourhood? The underpass looks pretty full to me.
Traffic is already backed up southward from Granite to beyond Hennessey Rd. for much of the time and is backed up beyond Sobeys much of December. This should back it up all the way to Morton Ave. which it already is at times around the Christmas rush.
At suppertime one often has to wait two, even three, light cycles to turn left from Hennessey on to Elmwood even now. This project should make left turns almost impossible from Hennessey.
Surely they will look to divert some of this cluster of a mess over to McLaughlin. This was quitely attempted under the Liberal gov't who found the only way to cram a clover leaf ramp in there was to run the ramp around a coupla doxzen houses. Imagine having your home encircled by a clover leaf interchange! Thankfully the Liberal MLA for tht area stood up for those residents and the idea was nixed. But anyway, those homes are still there. What is the plan for a future McLaughlin/TCH intersection? What is the cost of these improvements that are already badly needed and the costs of the needs that will surely arise if this proceeds?
If any of these questions have been answered by city hall or the province, I haven't seen it.
As usual, we build first, plan later = see Trinity/Plaza/Mountain/Mapleton all over again, only worse. At least that laughable attempt at infrastructure improvements was only damaging to businesses. This latest joke over on Elmwood almost exclusively screws over actual people who live there.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 2:34 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
As usual, we build first, plan later
For what it's worth, there are plans; they just aren't being followed.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:35 PM

I don't even care about yet again moving the city's ever-changing development boundaries because, as many have noted, that horse got out of the barn long ago
I'd just like to see clear info on how we are going to mitigate the downside. Without those details, it's not possible to see if this is a good move for citizens and taxpayers or not.
On a related note, I see that two long-time residents of that neighbourhod appeared at the same meeting to ask for sidewalks on their stretch of Elmwood Drive, north of Granite. These would be the same sidewalks that were promised to us when MHS was built out in the woods, way back in the day. Still waiting after all these years. And our promised four lanes from MHS to Granite seems have magically become three lanes as far south as Pine Tree, where it reverts to the same two lane bumpy cow path that it was way back in the pre-MHS days. So I guess we can tell exactly how much faith we should put into whatever the city and province say during this current round of proposed projects.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 6:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is now a tower crane going up for phase two of Lafford's Birch Meadows development.

https://laffordrealty.com/birch-meadows/

This is quite visible from Highway 15.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Structural steel going up for the new A&W on Elmwood Drive.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 7:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I just noticed some significant digging going on in the First Nation Business Park off of Harrisville Blvd, next to the TCH. I imagine another business is on the way.

It's just amazing how the TCH is turning from a bypass into an urban throughway as all these new businesses start to line the roadway.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I just noticed some significant digging going on in the First Nation Business Park off of Harrisville Blvd, next to the TCH. I imagine another business is on the way.

It's just amazing how the TCH is turning from a bypass into an urban throughway as all these new businesses start to line the roadway.
Every time I drive out that way I’m amazed with the difference!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 11:40 AM

hi, are there any plans to have a road built from ecole champlain that you'll be able to come out on harrisville blvd? the traffic in this area now is very heavy between shediac road and harrisville blvd. or any other planned routes to alleviate some of the traffic?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 2:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, there is a development plan for the Humphrey Brook neighbourhood which includes a road connection to Harrisville Blvd:

This plan however has been around for at least a half dozen years, and is no longer completely valid as Robert Irving is unwilling to cooperate. He in fact bought additional land in the area to put the kibosh on this (at least along it's western extent).

There is a long buildout for this plan. The actual connector to Harrisville Blvd was supposed to have been built in 2020. This obviously hasn't happened yet.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 1:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good Huddle article regarding the current status of the proposed Eastgate development:
https://huddle.today/2022/11/09/what...e-development/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 10:56 PM

Just noticed this partial mini crane at the bottom of Murphy Ave.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 4:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

That actually looks like the base of a proper tower crane.

Of course, that doesn't mean this particular building will be tall. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will only be four storeys.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Of course, that doesn't mean this particular building will be tall. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will only be four storeys.
I could be wrong, but I suspect a "proper" tower crane like this allows for a longer horizontal reach, too, which for a sprawling complex like this might be practical. No need to move a smaller crane multiple times.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 3:06 PM

Quote:

The variance requested in June was to permit a 20 meter height. This would be consistent with a 6 storey building.

Developer is ICON.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 3:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
The variance requested in June was to permit a 20 meter height. This would be consistent with a 6 storey building.

Developer is ICON.
Good to know. A proper tower crane is justified then.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 1:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CCD construction card:

Quote:
RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS, 415 HIGHLANDVIEW RD., MONCTON

CCD Ref. Number : NB168011-22-10

Stage : 4-Drawing

Published : October 31, 2022

Starting Date (estimated) : October 31, 2022

Size : Mid-sized ($7,350,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

Category : 4-Residential

Subcategories : 4B-Residential Development

Disciplines : ARCH, CIV, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

MONCTON (NB)
(Moncton - Richibucto) E1A 5R8

On the map : maps.google.com

Description :
NEW RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS -
Located in Moncton, 415 Highlandview Rd., this project estimated at $7 350 000 is slated to begin in March 2023. It is in the drawings stage. Works concern the construction of two (2) 3-storey buildings housing a total of 32 units.

- Information: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
I'm pretty sure this was brought up at PAC about six months ago or so. I don't think I specifically mentioned it on SSP before.

Here's a render of one of the buildings:

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 3:20 PM

Didn't see this posted yet

Newco Construction posted on their FB that construction will start on the Trans East Trailers building. Not sure where this is going in the Caledonia Industrial Park

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 7:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some apparent political shenanigans regarding the proposed Eastgate development:

Local government minister lobbied for controversial Moncton subdivision, emails show
City spokesperson says it’s uncommon for ministers to weigh in as council prepares to vote
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Nov 15, 2022 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 8 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ster-1.6639049

Quote:
Local Government Minister Daniel Allain lobbied Moncton councillors to support a proposed subdivision that goes against municipal policies, and he's linked the project to road work the city wants the province to fund.

Mayor Dawn Arnold called it "political pressure" on councillors weighing approval of a housing development that city staff and Moncton's planning advisory committee recommended rejecting.

Allain twice emailed several councillors this year about the Eastgate Village proposal for the northern edge of Moncton.

In the first, sent in January months before the plans were publicly revealed, Allain wrote that Eastgate and Elmwood Drive road work are "intimately related," and he intended to make both happen.
Quote:
The road work in the area involves a long-planned widening of 2.2 kilometres of Elmwood Drive from Granite Drive north to Irishtown Nature Park.

The work estimated to cost $19 million would add two more lanes, add sidewalks and replace roadside ditches with a storm water collection system. It's the last phase of upgrades to Elmwood planned after the province moved Moncton High School from near the downtown.
So Allain, not only the MLA for the area, but also the Minister of Local Governance stated in the emails that the approval of the Eastgate subdivision is "intimately associated" with the request for provincial funding towards the $19M project to complete the upgrading of Elmwood Drive (itself a consequence of a previous provincial government's decision to place Moncton High School out by the Kent County line).

Oh what a tangled web we weave..........

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Some apparent political shenanigans regarding the proposed Eastgate development:

Local government minister lobbied for controversial Moncton subdivision, emails show
City spokesperson says it’s uncommon for ministers to weigh in as council prepares to vote
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Nov 15, 2022 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 8 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ster-1.6639049

So Allain, not only the MLA for the area, but also the Minister of Local Governance stated in the emails that the approval of the Eastgate subdivision is "intimately associated" with the request for provincial funding towards the $19M project to complete the upgrading of Elmwood Drive (itself a consequence of a previous provincial government's decision to place Moncton High School out by the Kent County line).

Oh what a tangled web we weave..........
Seems like a typical CBC nothingburger. It would be absolutely weird for the province to pay for extra lanes, sidewalks, and wastewater services in an area Moncton would ban additional development in. Putting MHS out by Moncton city limits (not Kent County, to clarify) is inane. But the city let the golf course development and Granite Center happen out there. 'We don't want infill between our largest school and the rest of the city' is almost as bad as putting the school out where you'd normally put a prison, compost plant, pig farm, etc. in the first place.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The road work in the area involves a long-planned widening of 2.2 kilometres of Elmwood Drive from Granite Drive north to Irishtown Nature Park.

The work estimated to cost $19 million would add two more lanes, add sidewalks and replace roadside ditches with a storm water collection system. It's the last phase of upgrades to Elmwood planned after the province moved Moncton High School from near the downtown.

Ah, yes. Exactly as I stated on this topic and in this thread a month or so ago. This was all promised about the same time MHS was built.There were news stories about it in every media at that time. Here we all are, all these years later, still waiting while Danny repromises it in order to, at best bring development to his riding, at worst help his buddies. \

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces