HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 5:57 PM

Can anyone here fill me in on recreation opportunities for young children (ie 4 yr old girl) as well as an active family?

I was curious about the area around Oxford school, and worldlyhaligonian's post has me even more interested. It seems it would still be a reasonable walk to Dal for a student (we want to rent a room or two out to students), and still give me the opportunity to walk my daughter to and from elementary school.

The Halifax Conservatory seems interesting (stumbled upon it while google street-viewing a house for sale). This has me wondering what other recreation facilities are in the peninsula?

YMCA although I have to double check where it is again, and the private club that starts with a W (I forget how to spell the name), and the Conservatory... and I imagine a few private smaller dance schools. I would like to be near a decent non-private gym for me to work out at, as well as some dance or sport classes as well as an aquatic centre where my daughter can continue her swim lessons.

One more question, I've read that Gottingen Street is one of the less desireable streets in Halifax - I'm assuming any block close to Gottingen is also not desireable. I'm curious what the opinions are here about this area? I realize it's a long block so possibly varies according to what cross street you're near. What are the elementary schools in this area like? And are the houses difficult to sell? I see they are priced lower than other neighbourhoods, so I'm assuming there's a reason for this?

Last edited by Addy; Oct 30, 2010 at 6:47 PM. Reason: added ? re: Gottingen

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 8:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
One more question, I've read that Gottingen Street is one of the less desireable streets in Halifax - I'm assuming any block close to Gottingen is also not desireable. I'm curious what the opinions are here about this area? I realize it's a long block so possibly varies according to what cross street you're near. What are the elementary schools in this area like? And are the houses difficult to sell? I see they are priced lower than other neighbourhoods, so I'm assuming there's a reason for this?
The neighbourhood is a bit sketchy but better than its reputation.

There are some very specific developments/buildings you probably don't want to live next door to, but in many cases houses a block or two away are pretty desirable. For example, the Falkland/Maynard area seems pretty nice. Lots of people have bought new townhouses around Maitland/Cornwallis.

Parts of Agricola and sidestreets are in many cases quite nice. The streets behind Cunard (e.g. June) form an interesting neighbourhood.

Housing prices have gone up a lot in this area recently and I would expect this to be an area where they continue to climb.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 4:50 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
Can anyone here fill me in on recreation opportunities for young children (ie 4 yr old girl) as well as an active family?

I was curious about the area around Oxford school, and worldlyhaligonian's post has me even more interested. It seems it would still be a reasonable walk to Dal for a student (we want to rent a room or two out to students), and still give me the opportunity to walk my daughter to and from elementary school.

The Halifax Conservatory seems interesting (stumbled upon it while google street-viewing a house for sale). This has me wondering what other recreation facilities are in the peninsula?

YMCA although I have to double check where it is again, and the private club that starts with a W (I forget how to spell the name), and the Conservatory... and I imagine a few private smaller dance schools. I would like to be near a decent non-private gym for me to work out at, as well as some dance or sport classes as well as an aquatic centre where my daughter can continue her swim lessons.

The reason for this is that a public housing project was built in the centre of the Gottingen when Africville was torn down many years ago. The area is gentrifying significantly, but it is still sort of sketchy over there and is pretty far from Dal.

In terms of recreation, there is alot to do in the neighborhood we were discussing earlier.

The club that starts with a W is the Waegwoltic and its membership base was recently opened up to non-referral. It is a great and safe place for a child to spend their summer taking swimming/tennis/sailing classes or being with the family (as there is a large "sandbox" and multiple pools). It can be a little pricey for a membership initially.

Also, there is Saint Mary's boatclub, which is owned by the HRM. I am sure they have many programs there. Dalhousie has a number of different facilities and so does SMU.

There is a guide to all of the rec programs, likely on the Halifax.ca website and it can give you more information.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General