HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 3:38 PM

I noticed fencing is going up on the Shag golf course where the trees used to be that they removed, I assume that the fence line is the new setback?

Seems they're taking out one to two road lanes' worth from the golf course. Driving through Bow Trail from 2010 to 2012 is going to be a nightmare during rush hour, but should be worth it in the end hopefully...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 4:48 PM

The new fence line is to allow for additional lanes on Bow and the LRT right of way in the middle. The city will be obligating the design builder to keep Bow open during construction, as they have with the current bridge widening.

This is a pretty simple re-routing; logically they'd likely build three lanes to the north to reroute traffic first, while they work on the LRT in the middle.

The real challenge will be managing the cut and cover at 33rd and Bow.

The golf course has done a good job of getting rid of the monster fences along Bow and replacing them with berms. Won't miss those.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 4:59 PM

I'd imagine the work for the tunnel portal will probably involve building the new westbound lanes first, shifting all the traffic over so the current east bound lanes are closed, shifting the 33rd Street intersection west then building the tunnel under the east bound lanes, then shifting back to the final alignment then building the rest of the tunnel portal. Something along those lines should be enough to keep it open. Granted shifting 33rd may not need to be done, as 33rd will need to be completely closed for at least a period to build the parkade for the station head building which stretches below 33rd

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 3:31 PM

I noticed yesterday morning that there is one of those digital sign thingys on Sarcee warning of delays at 17th Avenue this weekend. And this morning I noticed a few workers on the site.

My completely uneducated guess would be that they're about to start work on the interchange and/or LRT bridge at that location. I believe that both would have to be done by 2012, unless of course, they're going to put the LRT through first.

Sorry for the vague "something is about to happen" message, but I know that some of you like that sort of update if you don't frequent the area regularly. I know I do.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 4:31 PM

Neither the bridge or the LRT will be starting construction quite yet, both are part of the contract that is being awarded in October. Likely anything happening is the 'prep' work being done by the city, probably utility relocations or something is my guess

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:41 PM

Yep, its prep work. From citybeat:
Quote:
On Saturday, August 8, and Sunday, August 9, 2009, from 8
a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on both days southbound Sarcee Trail will
be reduced to one lane for approximately 200m south of 17th
Ave. S.W.

The temporary lane reduction is necessary to construct a new
AltaLink transmission tower as part of the West LRT project.

Moderate traffic disruptions are anticipated.

For more information on the West LRT Project, please visit
www.westlrt.ca
The existing towers are not tall enough over 17th so they need to build new, taller, ones on either side of the interchange so there is the required clearance from the ground to the wires once the bridge is built.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 10:03 PM

^Yeah, drove by today. AltaLink had a crew out doing something on the SW corner of the intersection. There was a Stampede mobile crane set up just up the hill from them around the Park N' Ride area near West Market Square. There were also signs up saying to expect delays on the 8th and 9th.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
The existing towers are not tall enough over 17th so they need to build new, taller, ones on either side of the interchange so there is the required clearance from the ground to the wires once the bridge is built.
Make sense now. It seems like (based on this morning's drive) they're putting up one of those wooden temporary ones (similar to the two that are already in the area from when they re-worked that intersection a couple of years ago).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 3:44 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Yep, its prep work. From citybeat:

Aha, I figured it was something like that, either raise or bury the lines. That made for an overly long trip to pick up the lens I bought. (Worst timing ever, the day I'm leaving..)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 3:51 PM
Round Head

Calgary's west LRT a 'signature project'

Construction prep work already underway

By Kim Guttormson, Calgary HeraldAugust 12, 2009 7:06 AM

CALGARY - The long-awaited, much-contested west leg of the LRT is On track and by this time next year major construction on the first new C-Train line in more than two decades will be underway.

"I'm looking forward to it," says Georgina Bosch, one of thousands of west-side residents who are excited about the prospect of finally seeing the line stretch out to their busy neighbourhoods.

Bosch, now retired, would have loved the LRT when she was working downtown, but imagines she'll still use it whenever she heads into the core--especially "given the cost of parking."

But before people in the city's west end can take advantage of LRT service-- enjoyed by other Calgarians in the south, northwest and northeast for years -- sections of Bow Trail will be dug up, roads rerouted and three years of traffic chaos will ensue.

For many, starting work on the 8.4 kilometres of track that will service the growing western edge of the city is a significant milestone.

"It's a signature project for Calgary, it's been on the books for over 30 years," Mayor Dave Bronconnier says. "This train, it's been wanted for a long time. The planning is finished and we're now moving forward."

Darcy Anderson, a realtor with Royal Lepage-Foothills, says he recently sold a home across from the Westbrook shopping centre, touting its proximity to the new line. Two people made offers without viewing it, he adds.

"(The LRT) is a major factor," Anderson says of properties within walking distance of the future station.

While the contract to design and build the west leg won't be awarded until this fall -- three consortiums submitted technical submissions in July, financials are due in October --west LRT project manager Jon Halford says work will be able to begin early in 2010.

The winning companies will have already done the bulk of the design work for its bid and can hit the ground running, he adds. As well, the construction won't be starting at point A and laying track to point B.

"We're not starting at one end and working to the other. We will be working on multiple locations," Halford says. "It won't be staggered."

Even though the most visible-- and disruptive--work won't begin until next year, the city has been taking care of pre-construction tasks this summer.

Nine holes on the Shaganappi Golf Course have been realigned to accommodate the tracks.

Designs for all the stations have been done and are posted on the website, westlrt.ca.As well, the 27 residential properties and 18 commercial buildings needed for the LRT right-of-way will be removed next month.

While negotiations continue with a handful of the homeowners who were expropriated, and some owners and tenants of commercial buildings, the city is now in legal possession of all the property it needs.

Sarah Quayle, the project lead for business operations for the west LRT, says 18 homes will be relocated, rather than torn down, including some that will go to the Tsuu T'ina nation, some being used by the fire department for training and others used by parks as office space or storage depots.

"It's a significant reduction in the amount of material going into the landfill," she points out. "Seventy to 80 per cent of the material is able to be recycled."

Other prep work underway includes the concrete canopy over the Telus World of Science parking being removed to allow for the catenary system that powers the trains, and reconfiguring its parking lot. While the new science centre is under construction across Memorial Drive from the zoo, it won't be ready until 2011, and the city plans to eventually use the existing building, which it owns, for a major public facility.

The outdoor volleyball courts north of the science centre have been closed, set to be rebuilt and reopened by 2013.

Utilities, including power transmission lines and gas lines, are being relocated at Sarcee Trail and 17th Avenue, where an interchange will be built.

And the city is looking for new space for the Ernest Manning High School playing fields, which will be torn up during construction. Once a new high school is built in the west end, which is already under construction, the original building will be torn down.

"We're getting everything ready for the design-build team to come," Halford says.

Getting to this point has taken almost two years of fights with the communities the LRT will run through. First approved in 2007, when the province announced its 10-year infrastructure funding program, the alignment of the west route caused no shortage of headaches.

Ald. John Mar, barely elected when the issue began enraging his communities, says the city changed how it deals with concerns and the final version of the LRT is considered better by neighbourhoods at the eastern edge of the line.

"We were able to work with citizens and eliminate virtually every problem on my side of the LRT," Mar says.

On the western half of the line, there are still concerns the tracks won't be buried at 45th Street and about park and ride lots.

kguttormson@theherald. canwest.com---------

West LRT

Info: An 8.4-kilometre track running from downtown to 69th Street S. W., the first new LRT line in more than 20 years. It will be elevated coming out of downtown along 10th Avenue, run up the middle of Bow Trail between 19th and 31st Streets, run underground at the West-Brook mall before returning to street level at 41st Street and 17th Avenue and then running to 69th Street.

Construction Start Date: First quarter of 2010

Construction End Date: December 2012

Estimated Budget: $700 million, but the tender will be awarded this fall.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...089/story.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 4:56 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Really looking forward to seeing the start of this project. NOT looking forward to the upcoming chaos on Bow Trail however. Hopefully it is short lived and they can get it rerouted in short order. With construction on Stoney and Crowchild wrapping up in the foreseeable future my commute was looking to improve but now I'll have to put up with Bow Trail for another few years. Ah well, the price of progress I guess.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 6:48 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 8:24 PM

Yep, the report does look good. I'm just skimming the first ARP amendment and theres a few interesting things in it. The one nice change is that they are going to push to make 10th the main east-west route, including building a full intersection at 14th to replace the current right in-right out from 14th on either side that currently prevents straight through traffic. Also new height maximums, of 22 stories at most 99m tall and also maximum store frontage lengths near the station, and around the plaza. Overall pretty well thought out.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 1:08 AM
I'm the bear on the right

I went for a walk this afternoon to check on WLRT progress. Not a heck of a lot going on, but it is the calm before the storm.

Shag. Golf Course "trimming":

MCF Senior's Housing awaiting demolition:

Closed Petro-Canada awaiting demolition. It's been closed since May, but the canopy is handy for those brief monsoons we get. I was caught in one and it worked. Taxis take their breaks under the canopy as well.

Relocated ScotiaBank open for your financial needs:

Former Husky/Mac's, again...you guessed it, awaiting demo:

I walked as far as 45th St., and aside from a couple of businesses relocating, nothing else is going on.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 4:17 PM

Steve,

Welcome to our world! Some details to support the pictures:

The solid fence is to protect the golfers on the tee box. The tee boxes are directly adjactent to Bow Trail, and the fences are intended to keep them somewhat isolated from traffic.

The golf course has managed to shorten the fence overall - a good development.

The seniors home should be coming down soon.

Mike

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 6:35 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wilhelm View Post
Steve,

Welcome to our world! Some details to support the pictures:

The solid fence is to protect the golfers on the tee box. The tee boxes are directly adjactent to Bow Trail, and the fences are intended to keep them somewhat isolated from traffic.
The golf course has managed to shorten the fence overall - a good development.

The seniors home should be coming down soon.

Mike
Pretty much what I figured, but man, the solid fencing they are installing is butt ugly!

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 7:34 PM

^ just temp likely for dust control during construction, then back to the mesh.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 11:31 PM

I was told yesterday by the golf course that it is permanent - but you raise a good point - I've also been told that it will only cover the tee box area. Clearly it extends way past that.

I'll follow up when I get time.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 10:19 PM

The fence is permanent - just confirmed on the drawings.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 6:22 PM

I know that noticing graffiti makes me a NIMBY with the "neato structure" crowd, but the entire fence is now covered in graffiti.

Nice.

Here is a solution we've been advocating since February:

http://www.thelivingwall.net

Unfortunately senior city staff made a cursory review of the link (without contacting the originators of the concept) and dismissed it immediately. The merits of the Living Wall can be debated for sound attenuation, but it sure would make a nice tee-box screen. Toronto uses more salt than Calgary, so I'm guessing its survived road spray.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure