HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 11:49 PM

Largest Communities in HRM

What are the Largest Communities in the HRM besides Bedford and Darmouth?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 11:51 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Lower Sackville is steadily growing. As is Ecum Secum.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 1:08 AM

How many people live in Hammonds Plains? It looks real big on google maps.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 3:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Lower Sackville is steadily growing. As is Ecum Secum.
Ecum Secum? Really!! Why?

Actually, if I recall, I believe that Ecum Secum is really in Guysborough County. Necum Teuch is in HRM though..........

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 4:15 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I just like saying Ecum Secum. Looks like you are also correct. I guess it's right on the county line according to some websites.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISH89 View Post
How many people live in Hammonds Plains? It looks real big on google maps.
Hammonds Plains is quite big, but thats only because its really spread out and not actually that large population wise

Clayton Park and Fairview area is fairly large population wise and is seeing some growth and Cole Harbours not to far behind.

And as far as i knew, Ecum Secum is part of HRM from there to Hubbards, i could be wrong but thats what i always thought.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 5:41 PM

Ecum and Secum are such great guys!

I would suggest the largest communities would probably be Peninsula Halifax and the Hydrostone.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 11:23 PM
opinionated so and so

Depends on what you mean by communities? To HRMs government, there are communities like Bedford, Sackville, Ecum Secum, and Halifax, inside the old city of Halifax border. That is the biggest community, but I think that is garbage, as there are dozens of neighbourhoods and even old towns/villages inside of the old City of Halifax.

I think the peninsula is clearly the highest density, between 65-70 people, so most of the neighbourhoods, depending on how you define them, are as big as most towns/villages in the rest of HRM.

I did this project trying to identify old Halifax and Dartmouth neighbourhoods years ago, it just covers place names, not populations, obviously.

http://halifaxpolitics.ca/hrm-map-project/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 12:15 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Ecum and Secum are such great guys!

I would suggest the largest communities would probably be Peninsula Halifax and the Hydrostone.
I really hate correcting people, but the Hydrostone is a part of Peninsular Halifax.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 1:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
I think the peninsula is clearly the highest density, between 65-70 people, so most of the neighbourhoods, depending on how you define them, are as big as most towns/villages in the rest of HRM.
Yep.

I dislike the platitudes about HRM being a "community of communities spread out over a land area the size of PEI" and so forth. They have fed the attitude that the HRM is somehow exceptional and really is a decentralized region without a strong core. They also encourage that places like Halifax, Bedford, and Ecum Secum are all roughly interchangeable.

Pre-amalgamation Halifax had about 120,000 and today it would probably have 140,000 or more. Meanwhile the whole of District 1, which is more than 50% of the land area, has about 13,000 people and a declining population. They need 3-5% of the services, not 50%. It's not true at all that Halifax is decentralized -- it's one of the most densely populated urban areas in Canada and the US and there's a huge amount of employment on the peninsula!

The practical implication of all of this is that funding and attention are horribly misallocated.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 4:47 AM

Wouldn't 'mainland' Halifax (there area defined under the Mainland LUB) also be up there in population, but mainly due to sprawl? If I'm not mistaken, Clayton Park falls into the Mainland Area. As does part of Spryfield, Armdale, Fairview and Bayers Lake (although there is no 'population' there). Mainland stretches out the herring cove road, but for the life of me I can't remember where the dividing line is between it and where the Chebucto LUB starts.

But Mainland would also include the new subdivisions that went up off the North west Arm Drive and also Royal Hemlocks (since the dividing line between Mainland and Bedford is just on the other side of RH as you head towards Bedford).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Depends on what you mean by communities? To HRMs government, there are communities like Bedford, Sackville, Ecum Secum, and Halifax, inside the old city of Halifax border. That is the biggest community, but I think that is garbage, as there are dozens of neighbourhoods and even old towns/villages inside of the old City of Halifax.

I did this project trying to identify old Halifax and Dartmouth neighbourhoods years ago, it just covers place names, not populations, obviously.

http://halifaxpolitics.ca/hrm-map-project/
I mean largest population centers like Cole harbor tantallon, etc.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:28 AM

If you exclude Halifax and Dartmouth i would say the Clayton Park/Fairview area, followed by Cole harbour
and in a few years the Bedford area .

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
If you exclude Halifax and Dartmouth i would say the Clayton Park/Fairview area, followed by Cole harbour
and in a few years the Bedford area .
But Clayton Park and Fairview are part of Halifax - they were annex into City of Halifax in the late 60's if I recall correctly.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:15 PM

They were part of the old city of Halifax yes, but now with HRM its hard to know who considers what what anymore.

Fairview and Clayton Park are still suburban communities.

When i said excluding Halifax and Dartmouth i meant like the main urban areas like inside the circ and the peninsula, i should have clarified that though .

HRM is just a big kafuck right now, so many people most likely consider different areas different things .

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General