HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 3:32 AM

Freshwater Brook

Since this was brought up in another thread I thought for clarity reasons we should know exactly what Freshwater Brook is nowadays. I'll keep it short since people dont like history lessons but heres some information on it;

SOURCE OF INFORMATION

Source of water was near the North Commons, it ran into Egg Pond (now the skateboard park), down to Public Gardens (Griffin's Pond), near Fenwick St it became a deep ravine with a bridge, ran to Queen and Victoria, to Inglis and Barrington, the south-eastwards into the harbour. It was piped starting in the 1880's and the Fenwick section was infilled in the 1950's.

Right now they are moving the sewer to under streets (Queen, South Park, Fenwick, Victoria and Inglis).

As for the arguement about daylighting the stream in certain areas, well this project will put a stop to that idea. This is unfortunate because having a nice stream downtown would of been nice and could of gone in nicely with the proposed new park on South Park St.

Since the stream has no chance of daylighting thanks to HRM making unique streams into sewers, I am willing to comprimise my stance on the VG parking lot site. I still think a small pocket park would be nice but with some buildings on the South Park side of the block.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 9:11 PM

Why do we need a stream downtown? It just makes things complicated for developments...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 9:19 PM

I was only thinking of daylighting in the parks, like Victoria Park. Of course daylighting the whole route would be way to costly and annoying to develop around.

They could of opened it up in Victoria Park and extended it down to the South St via the proposed new park. Maybe even with a cute little bridge on University Avenue.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 1:39 AM

Ah okay, I misunderstood and thought you wanted it all the way to the harbour

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General