HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:27 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I am surprised nothing has been built on that triangular green patch - it's a rather hefty chunk of land..
That was Sir John A. Mac's field.

Now that the school has closed, it should all be in play. I bet the school board is hoping to fetch a pretty penny for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Sorry for clogging up the thread, but I love how this aerial clearly shows those two wedge-shaped blocks bounded by Bay, Cannon, Queen and Napier.

As they stand now, very bad. It would be a fun experiment to play around with them and master plan every square inch...
The stuff across from SJAM on York is far too "suburban" for this part of the city. The Starbucks and Swiss Chalet and the adjoining parking lot are welcome to be replaced. And wasn't there an older proposal for replacing/relocating the mosque on the block between Hess and Caroline?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:07 PM

I don't know about all of you, but it's quite funny we're pondering the York Boulevard stretch into the core considering the butchering of this area. Now trying to figure out, how do we re-connect this stretch to the community. HWDSB needs to sell the property already, it's an ugly eye sore and a massive property that could bridge Strathcona into Central Hamilton.

Not sure where others would rank the York Boulevard/McNab-Market Square-Jackson Square (all interconnected) extraction, but got to be up there with Main St. We need to find the Delorean.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 5:31 PM

York Boulevard was the worst of the 70s public works projects, without hyperbole. Who needs films when you can just look at vintage photos and despair

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
York Boulevard was the worst of the 70s public works projects, without hyperbole. Who needs films when you can just look at vintage photos and despair
I will forever be saddened by specifically York Blvd. It doesn't seem to be in the plan to even increase the density along this area. It would be great to return to the 5-7 storey buildings that went along this road that were raised simply to add an extra lane, one that arguably wasn't even needed.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:21 AM

I can understand the reason behind it, for ages that was the main way to get to Toronto that wasn't by boat. That's why it's called York Blvd, it lead to York. They had the idea of a grand entrance to the city, with large canopied (probably brutalist) buildings heading downtown.

Eventually it will be like that, I think... I hope. It will probably depend on the T line LRT (the one that goes to Waterdown by way of Aldershot) and who knows how long that'll take.

The old street reminds me a lot of west Dundas st, in Toronto. Both in density, and in direction. Makes me sad for what was

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:21 AM

I've spent much too much time fantasizing about York Blvd.

It could be a wonderful entrance to the city with monuments, art, statues, mid-rise residential, commercial, office space, public space, etc.

Essentially, take the spirit of what McQuesten started 100 years ago and carry it all the way to Bay St.

Never happen...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I've spent much too much time fantasizing about York Blvd.

It could be a wonderful entrance to the city with monuments, art, statues, mid-rise residential, commercial, office space, public space, etc.

Essentially, take the spirit of what McQuesten started 100 years ago and carry it all the way to Bay St.

Never happen...
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I'm a bit hopeful. Urban attitudes are a changin', but even I know this'll take a feckin' age

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I'm a bit hopeful. Urban attitudes are a changin', but even I know this'll take a feckin' age
In the case of York Boulevard, it would require a master plan, a tremendous amount of coordination between all relevant stakeholders, the razing of almost everything on either side of the street, the building of beautiful things, etc. Yeah, it's a dream.

York represents a cautionary tale. You think something is old, decrepit, an eyesore? Think twice before knocking it down or throwing it out because anything you put in its place will pale in comparison. I don't think there was ever a coherent plan for York, unlike Civic Square. It seems to have been a case of just wanting to get rid of something and thinking that anything would be better than what was there...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 7:37 PM

I'm back with the next iteration of Hamilton's future skyline. I added 220 Main West, the additional tower for the McMaster Graduate Residences downtown (as a second tower onto the original address), and the 5 midrise developments along the McMaster strip of Main. Unfortunately, the developments along the McMaster strip do not add too much to the overall skyline. I hope to see it become further developed in the future. I have also increased the transparency of the watermark for easier visibility.

The list so far (by addresses and number of towers):

1 Jarvis (1)
15 Queen South (1)
16 Cannon (1)
17 Ewen (1)
22 Bay South (2)
22 George (1)
43 King East (2)
57 Discovery (1)
61 Wilson (3)
71 Rebecca (1)
75 James South (1)
77 James North (4)
80 Hunter West (3)
98 James South (1)
112 King East (4)
154 Main (1)
163 Jackson (2)
190 Main West (3)
200 Market (4)
212 King William (1)
213 King West (1)
220 Main West (2)
221 John South (2)
235 Main West (1)
299 John South (3)
354 King West (2)
925 Main West (2)
1107 Main West (1)
1190 Main West (2)
1570 Main West (1)

Total # of new towers in skyline: 55

Hamilton Watermarked V7-1 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V7-2 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V7-3 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V7-4 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V7-5 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 7:50 PM

Are all the future buildings in the skyline ones that are approved/under construction or are you also including buildings that are only proposed?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Are all the future buildings in the skyline ones that are approved/under construction or are you also including buildings that are only proposed?
I include proposed buildings.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 8:47 PM

I love it. We all appreciate you posting these images on this forum, thank you.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 8:52 PM

Beautiful work - really a good visualization that the core is spreading westward. When the eventuality of the LRT is realized I think this will continue to be the case. That stretch is between the downtown and McMaster and includes the easiest access to the 403, will certainly be the most desirable location for students, commuters and young professionals.

I only wish the northend didn't remain so sparse! The west harbour area is such a gem geographically. With a little bit of political will power it could become almost a second downtown area.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 12:13 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipedreams View Post
Beautiful work - really a good visualization that the core is spreading westward. When the eventuality of the LRT is realized I think this will continue to be the case. That stretch is between the downtown and McMaster and includes the easiest access to the 403, will certainly be the most desirable location for students, commuters and young professionals.

I only wish the northend didn't remain so sparse! The west harbour area is such a gem geographically. With a little bit of political will power it could become almost a second downtown area.
that's largely residential and brownfield - and good luck with the brownfield - with over a century of contamination noone wants to have to foot the bill to clean up such a massive space, and with the exception of a couple condos I don't think hamilton wants to do what toronto did and cover up the harbourfront with giant condos.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:50 AM

Thanks again for your work on this and for sharing the pictures!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 3:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Yes, thank you Eric, it's much appreciated.

The SSP database entries for Hamilton are not up-to-date. Many of the proposals may never make it to approval and construction, but there are things being built now that are not in the list, and some that are incorrect.
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=91317358
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=91317372 (proposed and construction only)

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:11 PM

Echoing others; thank you for the update. These renders provide great stimulus for the future state of the city. Each time I see them, the progress offsets the "holy crap there's still so many empty lots across downtown." Which also means there's still hope for reputable builders to offset some of the rubbish that will be built in the next ten years.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:31 PM

It's definitely great and the work is appreciated.

I'd recommend doing another version that shows only the buildings that are either currently under construction or not built yet but approved. This will give us a more realistic view of how the skyline will look. Although I'm sure it's a lot of work to do it - but it's just a thought.

The other thing... are the proposed buildings roughly to scale? It seems like they all dwarf the existing buildings in size. Or are there really that many larger buildings proposed?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:35 PM

The heights look accurate to me.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_of_cats View Post
I love it. We all appreciate you posting these images on this forum, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipedreams View Post
Beautiful work - really a good visualization that the core is spreading westward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Yes, thank you Eric, it's much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Echoing others; thank you for the update.
Quote:

Anytime everyone! I've really enjoyed working on the Hamilton skyline, I'm very excited to see it take shape in the future.

Quote:

I'd recommend doing another version that shows only the buildings that are either currently under construction or not built yet but approved. This will give us a more realistic view of how the skyline will look. Although I'm sure it's a lot of work to do it - but it's just a thought.

The other thing... are the proposed buildings roughly to scale? It seems like they all dwarf the existing buildings in size. Or are there really that many larger buildings proposed?
I'm currently working on tracking everything in a spreadsheet and eventually colour-coding the models, but I'm in no rush to do that right now.

I try to be as accurate to height as possible. As for the actual girth of the towers, sometimes it is not as accurate, since most architectural packages do not include any useful dimensions for the size of the floor plates or podiums. Some may appear bigger or smaller than what they will be in reality. I do try my best to work off of the promotional images as well if there is no drawings package, so there is often some loss in accuracy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton