HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I'd like to see a rendering of the 52nd Street side at ground level. I wonder if it will be basically an enormous ground level concrete slab.

A discription from the Times:

Quote:
The office tower itself, however, would step back from St. Patrick’s, rising on 52nd Street atop two stems or stilts, near 400 feet above the sidewalks. The 96-story tower is designed as a sleek shaft until it reaches the top, where a two-level slab juts out from the northern and southern sides of the building, before the tower resumes its ascent.

The proposed building would cantilever about 100 feet over the Look Building and 300 feet above an adjoining landmark, the John Peirce house, which will almost certainly spark criticism from preservationists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Cool thanks, is 16 East 52nd the consulate?

It seems that's the only thing holding him up, but my questions is, with Venezuela's refusal to move, can he just build over it like the Citicorp Center did with the church?

Is there any hope I guess is what I'm asking. I know Macklowe seems like the type of guy to get sh*t done but even he can only do so much.

The consulate us 7 East 51st Street, a relatively small portion of the site. The two buildings to the right are landmarks.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 1:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Something like this, on a larger scale, comes to mind when I think about the base.

Quote:
The office tower itself, however, would step back from St. Patrick’s, rising on 52nd Street atop two stems or stilts, near 400 feet above the sidewalks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAJ

You can almost make out the 2 "stems" here.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 1:45 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

zoicks!

thats so crazy that i love it just because.

it will look a lot better than i thought from street level.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
zoicks!

thats so crazy that i love it just because.

I assume that you know that the tiered building on the lower right-hand corner is a separate, pre-existing structure.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I assume that you know that the tiered building on the lower right-hand corner is a separate, pre-existing structure.
yes.

i just had never seen those particular renders before, only a few from a distance and the street view.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 3:11 PM

I love this tower. The street level view is insane.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 3:48 PM
DENNAB

The article mentions it would start Citicorp Center style 400 feet up, that's just insane.

Quote:
Something like this, on a larger scale, comes to mind when I think about the base.
Would it be possible to build the whole thing over the existing consulate? Is removing that building totally necessary I suppose is my biggest question, it seems they won't be able too but I'd still like to see the tower rise.

While it may be controversial looking at best, the observation deck is going to be mind-blowing.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 4:05 AM

Looks like a glitch in a sim city game

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 4:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I love this tower. The street level view is insane.
Quote:
The article mentions it would start Citicorp Center style 400 feet up, that's just insane.

It will appear from some angles as a floating skyscraper, but the 52nd Street side is the one we really need to see from street level.

Quote:
Would it be possible to build the whole thing over the existing consulate? Is removing that building totally necessary

Again, the area here in red is where the consulate stands. Without removing it, you can see how the 51st Street entrance would be affected. The area in green is how the footprint is affected. The "D" is where demo was already filed last year.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 6:07 PM

tower fifth and cpt sharply dominating the skyline .

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 7:09 PM

Hell, yeah. That looks great.

Hope that's the Midtown skyline a few years from now.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 8:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, it does look great. And it doesn't even include 270 Park or other coming towers like the Grand Hyatt or Penn Plaza.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 8:29 PM
DENNAB

Is the Park Lane Tower still in the works? I like that one

Quote:
Again, the area here in red is where the consulate stands. Without removing it, you can see how the 51st Street entrance would be affected. The area in green is how the footprint is affected. The "D" is where demo was already filed last year.
I know but can't they just redesign the entrance? My main question is, is it a done deal that the consulate can't be moved? If so, how will this tower happen? What will ever so determined Macklowe do?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:46 PM

Ugly. I really hope this doesn't get built, a redesign could be good

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Is the Park Lane Tower still in the works? I like that one

I know but can't they just redesign the entrance? My main question is, is it a done deal that the consulate can't be moved? If so, how will this tower happen? What will ever so determined Macklowe do?
Something spectacular will rise on the Park Lane site. That site is way better than anything on 57th or 220 CPS.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 2:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Ugly. I really hope this doesn't get built, a redesign could be good
A redesign is always possible, but to get that tower with those particular sized floor plates, it would probably be something of similar format. All of the buildings just east of the site are landmarks, and can't be demolished.

Quote:

Remember, this is still a tower that has to be approved. I'm not sure if Macklowe is going the Midtown East route, or just the general landmark transfer route. I'm not sure of the exact footage of the site, but there are restrictions on lot size. There are different components to the development as well, that would require multiple entrances. There is also to be a public auditorium above this entrance.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A redesign is always possible
A simple tweak that might improve this building's looks is make the deck stick out the same amount on all four sides, as the asymmetry of the current deck is kind of weird. This redesign would also allow tourists to have better views in all directions, so this would be a functional as well as aesthetic improvement. Might cost more money though.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
A simple tweak that might improve this building's looks is make the deck stick out the same amount on all four sides, as the asymmetry of the current deck is kind of weird.
This redesign would also allow tourists to have better views in all directions, so this would be a functional as well as aesthetic improvement. Might cost more money though.
I think the part that sticks out on the east side is some type of glass walk, a little edgier that what is at 30 Hudson and planned for 1 Vanderbilt.

I also just realized that you can see the public auditorium in this rendering, above the escalators and ceiling. Crazy that I didn't notice it before.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 1:44 PM
New Yorker for life

There's a lot that we don't know about this tower, but here's what we have pieced together so far...

https://www.gensler.com/projects/tower-fifth

Quote:
- Located just north of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, east of Fifth Avenue between 51st and 52nd Streets, Tower Fifth will rank as the second tallest building not only in New York, but in the Western Hemisphere.

- Climbing 1,556 feet above Manhattan, the 1.3-million-gross-square-foot tower creates a new paradigm for how a supertall structure meets the street and interacts with its neighbors.

- Its ground floor glass-enclosed public galleria spans the entire block, framing views of St. Patrick’s Cathedral while extending the civic realm into the building footprint, leading visitors to shops, a food hall, and an auditorium.

- At the top of the tower, the city’s highest observatory grants unprecedented views and features an array of unique experiential, cultural, and entertainment experiences within a public observatory.

- The office floors feature 960,000 square feet of tenant space and amenities focused on wellness.

- Tower Fifth is wrapped in an innovative, energy-efficient Closed Cavity Facade system which reduces solar heat gain by more than 70%. It will be the first deployment of this type of system in North America.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-e...-citys-tallest

Quote:
- The tower, which would rise midblock between East 51st and East 52nd streets, features unusual elements, including a tapered, stiltlike midsection that will prop up the height of the floors above.

- The highest floors will feature a multilevel observatory. According to several people who have seen Macklowe's proposal, he has envisioned a clear, plastic or glass-enclosed slide that would protrude from the building's exterior, giving riders the vertiginous sensation of soaring high above the city.

- The building's mass-damper—a large, water-filled mechanism to reduce sway in supertall towers—would be on display with an accompanying seismograph that charts the energy of the movement it muffles.

- Macklowe has been telling stakeholders that project would cantilever over the landmarked John Pierce residence on East 51st Street, include an observation deck near the top and feature a public space near the base, though his plans could change as the process moves forward.

- To build the more than 1 million-square-foot building, Macklowe needs to secure hundreds of thousands of square feet of air rights. Several sources familiar with his plans said he will acquire a large tranche from St. Patrick's Cathedral, which owns more than 1 million square feet of unused development rights.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/18/n...raper-nyc.html

Quote:
- The proposed building will require billions of dollars to build and includes an expensive and energy-efficient facade rarely seen in the United States, a public concourse, plush tenant amenities — a lap pool, yoga room and multilevel running track — and the city’s tallest observatory, where visitors would be able to dive down a transparent, 60-foot corkscrew slide.

- An 85-foot-high glass lobby would stretch from 52nd Street to 51st Street, where the entrance would dramatically frame the side-street doors to St. Patrick’s.

- Escalators would lead to the lower levels, restaurants, shops and elevators for the observatory.

- A glass-walled public auditorium would sit above the lobby and look onto the top of St. Patrick’s.

- The office tower itself, however, would step back from St. Patrick’s, rising on 52nd Street atop two stems or stilts, near 400 feet above the sidewalks.

- The proposed building would cantilever about 100 feet over the Look Building and 300 feet above an adjoining landmark, the John Peirce house

- Mr. Macklowe will have to cut a pricey deal with the owners of the Look Building and Peirce house for the cantilever and purchase roughly 580,000 square feet of unused development rights to get to the building’s full height. Much of that will probably come from St. Patrick’s Cathedral.

https://www.mas.org/news/presidents-...-january-2019/

Quote:
Municipal Arts Society
President’s Letter: January 2019

- We had a preliminary presentation on the new Macklowe project, Tower Fifth, that will cantilever over the historic John Pierce Residence and our own LOOK Building. It has a 103 foot “stem” that has no FAR attributed to it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 2:16 AM
Development Shill

Hideous and it doesn't even look structurally unsound. Looks like another citigroup center situation all over again with a design like that (minus citigroup's good looks).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals