HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 6:11 PM

Do we know if this project finally got approved?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClo View Post
I would be very surprised. The City and the BIA don't want lots of height in the area. Shame....

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 7:54 PM
Ham-burgher

It is a shame. Maybe it would work cut down a bit in height, but it's not out of place among the existing buildings and especially if Metro City goes ahead.

John St. has potential to be so much more than it is if the under-utilized properties are built up. Its revitalization would be very different from James, given all the parking lots (especially north of King William) but it need not be the poor brother. And again, much like the discussion of the proposals near West Harbour GO needing to be larger, there is a nice big station nearby that currently has better rush hour service along with express buses to/from downtown Toronto... hello planners?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It is a shame. Maybe it would work cut down a bit in height, but it's not out of place among the existing buildings and especially if Metro City goes ahead.

John St. has potential to be so much more than it is if the under-utilized properties are built up. Its revitalization would be very different from James, given all the parking lots (especially north of King William) but it need not be the poor brother. And again, much like the discussion of the proposals near West Harbour GO needing to be larger, there is a nice big station nearby that currently has better rush hour service along with express buses to/from downtown Toronto... hello planners?
The city is giving Metro a hard time too and the primary concerns are the height in that area and most of the complaints come from existing residents in Corktown. It's a shame. Projects like this one and the three condos at Metrowill only increase the property values of the current Corktown residents. More development and condos = more commercial/retail, luxury condos, more money invested in the area, etc... It's a win win for the residents if you ask me.

Hamilton won't see growth until residents wake up and realize that these developments will only increase the values of their businesses and properties....

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
The city is giving Metro a hard time too and the primary concerns are the height in that area and most of the complaints come from existing residents in Corktown. It's a shame. Projects like this one and the three condos at Metrowill only increase the property values of the current Corktown residents. More development and condos = more commercial/retail, luxury condos, more money invested in the area, etc... It's a win win for the residents if you ask me.

Hamilton won't see growth until residents wake up and realize that these developments will only increase the values of their businesses and properties....

Again, I place blame squarely on the shoulders of everyone at city hall. Every city on earth (including Toronto) has groups of whiny residents who think they're the only ones allowed to live in their city.
The different is - those cities want to be successful, prosperous and keep growing as they compete in a global marketplace.
Hamilton has NO leaders at any level as far as I can tell....we might as well build a Great Wall of China around the city slowly rot - city hall policies effectively produce the same result.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Again, I place blame squarely on the shoulders of everyone at city hall. Every city on earth (including Toronto) has groups of whiny residents who think they're the only ones allowed to live in their city.
The different is - those cities want to be successful, prosperous and keep growing as they compete in a global marketplace.
Hamilton has NO leaders at any level as far as I can tell....we might as well build a Great Wall of China around the city slowly rot - city hall policies effectively produce the same result.
I agree with you. However, there are some leaders at City Hall who do advocate for large scale developments, but there are more who listen to the residents in these different BIA's more than the actual stats. If all of these proposed developments get built, those homes in Corktown would skyrocket in value... It would also increase retail in that area and clean up the area as a whole...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:32 PM

Unless you build in areas that have little interest to the NIMBY brigades.... Take the Vrancor block, little to no opposition, an area filled with surface parking lots. Trust the Bental Kennedy site will benefit from all that they have done. Those vast parking wastelands in the north east side of downtown await!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Unless you build in areas that have little interest to the NIMBY brigades.... Take the Vrancor block, little to no opposition, an area filled with surface parking lots. Trust the Bental Kennedy site will benefit from all that they have done. Those vast parking wastelands in the north east side of downtown await!
Eventually, the city will need to do a better job in how much say they gave to the residents in these areas... and how much power they yield. If the City wants to see progression quicker, this is the direction they need to take sooner rather than later. They won't be able to completely shut out the complaints or comments on developments from residents, but right now they are letting them drive the whole damn car....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:35 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Eventually, the city will need to do a better job in how much say they gave to the residents in these areas... and how much power they yield. If the City wants to see progression quicker, this is the direction they need to take sooner rather than later. They won't be able to completely shut out the complaints or comments on developments from residents, but right now they are letting them drive the whole damn car....
100% agree with this statement!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 2:14 AM
Ham-burgher

We've been in a paradigm where the smallest voices may have the biggest impact. That's not a bad thing, often those voices have something very meaningful to say. But sometimes their needs are given more emphasis than what makes sense for everyone in the longer term.

We haven't achieved a great equilibrium in satisfying those interests with a balance against the greater "good."

I don't know that we ever will, for sure not while this conservative wave is apparently sweeping parts of the country (and perhaps THE country this fall). How that filters down to municipalities will be interesting to see. It may very well end up being a blunt "this is how things need to go" as upper levels of government dictate the same. Especially as the spending downloadings begin in earnest.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 3:06 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
We've been in a paradigm where the smallest voices may have the biggest impact. That's not a bad thing, often those voices have something very meaningful to say. But sometimes their needs are given more emphasis than what makes sense for everyone in the longer term.

We haven't achieved a great equilibrium in satisfying those interests with a balance against the greater "good."

I don't know that we ever will, for sure not while this conservative wave is apparently sweeping parts of the country (and perhaps THE country this fall). How that filters down to municipalities will be interesting to see. It may very well end up being a blunt "this is how things need to go" as upper levels of government dictate the same. Especially as the spending downloadings begin in earnest.
Regardless of the complaints all of you might have - the hamilton of today is still 500% better than the hamilton of 10-15 years ago - let me take you on a magical tour of what hamilton was like back then..

It was like flint michigan back in the day. You felt uneasy walking around downtown. There were homeless people everywhere, scooter people, crackwhores, and mental patient people walking around muttering to themselves as they had shuttered the psych wards as they declared it inhumane to keep them boarded up so these people were free to roam the downtown, making everyone feel uneasy. They were generally harmless but it only takes one.. - half the downtown was boarded up or falling apart. There were beggers constantly on king st in the gore park area. Drugged out women would walk up to your car window and knock on it asking for change. You couldn't walk along james st without encountering sketchy people and you didn't dare linger in front of jackson square for long. Sketchy people would sit on the stairs to the top of jackson intimidating people - religious people would shout their doom and gloom wearing signs in front of jackson, and people would down right punch each other in broad daylight. If someone came up to you to try to talk to you you got the hell out of there. There were hookers on emerald st, which led to the joke "What do you call a full set of teeth in hamilton? 32 Hookers on emerald st" and the joke of people telling you to go stand on the corner of king and james.

Abandoned buildings were everwhere and squatters crawled into them and did drugs- the outdoor bathrooms were dens for drug dealings and assaults - needles littered the floors and alleys everywhere (needles still litter the alleys).

And you never. Entered an alley. Especially at night. Period.

Buildings were spraypainted like crazy, windows were broken or painted over - entrances were boarded up - almost all of king william st was either sketchy or boarded up - lister, william thomas, and the other building beside lister were boarded up - kresgeys was filled with the "people of walmart" type of bingo players, walking farther east down king st led to sketchier areas.. oh and gore park was filled with people waiting for buses as thats where the buses used to stop. The downtown type of people were very "hamiltonian" as we dubbed them - grizzled looking, teeth missing, smelly, old clothes, shambling about - barton st was a nightmare, and in some ways still is, and riding the bus was a russian roulette game (not of getting hurt or killed, but of meeting some very very uncomfortable people). People didn't dress up to go downtown, and you didn't see regular families with their kids walking around - people hurriedly got to where they had to go and then got out.

You still see some semblances of the "old days" with cash mart places everywhere, thrift stores, and other low end stores in jackson and along king st - slowly these places are being replaced with higher scale businesses but we allowed them to come in to service the type of people we had allowed to filter in.The downtown also used to stink from the factories.

Now we got an area where you see families and kids walking around - king william st and james st are revitalized and you see patios and people dressing up to go downtown. We have art crawl and super crawl. Arguably the downtown hasn't looked this good since the days of the eatons center. Things are getting better, just not at the pace a lot of people would like to see them get better, but they ARE getting better - slow progress is better than NO progress. I grew up never seeing a single crane downtown. Now they are popping up everywhere.

Back in the old glory days of hamilton it used to be an entertainment hub - sporting more than 50 small theatres across the entire city. It had a horse racing track where centre mall is now, it had an amusement park by the water, it had all sorts of crazy cool stuff. Downtown was the major commerce center and had cigar stores, fur shops, jewellery stores and fine china shops. There were parades down james st and king st, people all had flags outside their dwellings. Everyone did their shopping at kreskeys, arliss shoes ribonsons and woolworths and the right store.People had jobs in the factories making stoves and appliances or making steel - and the key is that life was centralized downtown - then everyone decided to suburbanize and create big box stores and malls and it killed the downtown core and left a vacuum that was filled with vagrants. Now we are slowly getting back there. The key is to centralize business in the core - not ship everyone out to toronto and have hamilton be a bedroom community - hamilton is a real city, not a suburb, and it can very much return to that - but there has to be jobs downtown - not just restaurants and breweries...

Although I have to admit, one of the reason you probably see so few sketchy people is because they scooped them all up and shipped them out of town for the pan-am games. They are probably in st catharines now.. Can't have outsiders seeing our derelict state of being..

Last edited by Chronamut; Apr 26, 2019 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 3:44 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClo View Post
I live in one of the apartments across the road from this project and am able to go by the sign pretty regularly - they usually post the date of the planning meeting on there before the online agenda goes up. I'll keep an eye out.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
I live in one of the apartments across the road from this project and am able to go by the sign pretty regularly - they usually post the date of the planning meeting on there before the online agenda goes up. I'll keep an eye out.
It hasn't been. I visit John St (Future Metro Site) on a regular basis and nothing has been updated regarding the Plaza yet...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:06 AM

How about now? It's been almost a year.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 7:35 PM
Forever forward.

Last I heard was that Slate was working with the City to determine alternate massing that planning would be amenable to. Haven't heard anything since.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
Last I heard was that Slate was working with the City to determine alternate massing that planning would be amenable to. Haven't heard anything since.
Unfortunate that it's so slow. This area could really use an influx of new residents and new commercial first floor units, even though apparently city staff doesn't want commercial in these areas of John. The plaza has nice units, but it needs some new restaurants, bars, et cetera.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:29 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

settle for something like this. project at Yonge/Eg. Didn't know you could densify that area anymore. But it's beautiful for the International and Moderne architecture around there. Big fan of Yonge/Eg. I had a client at Yonge Rosedale in the 90s.

https://www.untitledcondostoronto.ne..._1qjCNx7RQHd60

Downtown Hamilton could have a few of these twin 33/21 floor buildings easy. It fits the model they want.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:42 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I liked the original proposal even though you have to admit it was crazy over powering. But I love Seoul and Sao Paulo density.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/São_Paulo#/media/Fileanorama_da_cidade_de_São_Paulo.jpg

Toronto for comparison.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:08 AM

At a Corktown NA meeting a few months ago Jason Farr announced that Slate had abandoned this project and sold the Corktown Plaza. No one seems to know who bought it or what they plan to do with it. I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Last edited by Corktowner; Jan 22, 2020 at 3:47 PM. Reason: clarity and precision

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corktowner View Post
At a Corktown NA meeting a few months ago Jason Farr announced that Slate had abandoned this project and sold the Corktown Plaza. No one seems to know who bought it or what they plan to do with it. I wouldn’t hold your breath.
Apparently the property is still for sale, not sold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton