HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:18 AM
Philadelphia

Asbury Park, NJ - - time lapse

Close up - on the north is Deal Lake, in the middle is Sunset Lake, on the south end is Wesley Lake.

Downtown
If it looks old and decrepit it's most likely from March 2001

If it looks like shiny and new it's probably from March 2007

Back then

last March

More shots of downtown from last year

photo by Thundertubs - 2002

photo by Thundertubs - 2002

heading towards the beach

Palace Amusements (where Tillie's face used to be) in 2001

in 2007

back then

ahora

Sunset Lake and Northeast
These are all from 2001

Main St. - Main St. and the commuter train to Hoboken/NYC run side-by-side and cut the town into east and west. East being the nicer half. The Asbury Renaissance really started 8 years ago when a lot of gay couples from NYC started rehabbing the crap out of the old victorians in the northeast part of town.

This is a fairly typical street in Bradley Beach, just south of AP.

This is a typical street in Allenhurst - which is just north of AP

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:58 AM
It's Daniel

Very nice to see the patches of development amidst the ruins. This is one freaky lookin hotel. thank god it's not open for business. (I HOPE NOT) lol.

daniel

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 4:47 PM

Wow.
I'm always skeptical when I hear of "rennaisance" or "rebirth", but they've really fixed alot of stuff up since I was there last (2003 or so).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:18 PM

This just shows that it can be done.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:41 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newboldphilly View Post

^This boardwalk looking area looks like a scene from an episode on the Sopranos. I'm sure of it.

Nice shots BTW!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:58 PM
Red October standing by

nice to see recovery. thanks for the tour.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 8:54 PM
Candy Jail

Looking better! I always loved that Metropolitan Hotel building, but I've been told that it's pretty dangerous to go exploring the inside.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:25 PM

Fantasic thread! So great to see the rehab of some of these structures and I hope it continues.

Yes, that boardwalk is so Sopranos!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:33 PM

I'm sure Bruce Springsteen is proud.

Thanks for putting this together!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Very pleased to hear of the recovery. I visited in 1998, and it was mighty decrepid

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 10:16 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Still looks pretty beat up, but great to see some rehab going on as well.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 10:53 PM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
^This boardwalk looking area looks like a scene from an episode on the Sopranos. I'm sure of it.

Nice shots BTW!
Surreal, that is the same Boardwalk as seen on the Sopranos. It's from the episode where Tony has the food poisoning, and is having the weird dreams.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 11:00 PM
Honored Member

Those are some gorgeous renovations! Keep up the good work.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 12:38 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Great to see the place gettin' the spruce up. Hope the trend continues. Kind of odd, I was putting Asbury park on my list of places to visit this year. Thanks for the side by side tour.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:35 AM
Red brick mama.

Incredible transformation! Is Asbury Park pretty much in NYC's sphere of influence?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Incredible transformation! Is Asbury Park pretty much in NYC's sphere of influence?
Yes, it's within the MSA and the commuter belt, though I think most of the renovations are being done by weekenders rather than relocatees.

Gays are really the greatest thing for revitalization. Give it 5 years or so and Asbury Park will be decent. Give it 10 years and it will be great.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:45 AM
Philadelphia

Thanks for the comments everyone.

As far as the revitalization goes, the northeast corner of town (north of Sunset Lake) has always been a middle-class neighborhood and when the NY queer folk started to move in that's where they were moving. After they established a beach head there they started to move south of Sunset Lake but that's by no means a "bad neighborhood" either. It was just a little run down. But that all started about 10-12 years ago and accelerated about 8 years ago.

Ocean Grove just to the south of Asbury has had a large gay presence since i was a kid and since OG is a dry town there were always bars catering to that crowd across the lake in downtown Asbury.

The downtown renaissance started about 6-7 years ago with niche shops/studios/workspaces carved out of the old commercial stock. It was very slow going at first. The condo "boom" started about 5 years ago and breathed some life into the retail sector.

The demolition on the waterfront just started 2 years ago and has slowed considerably given the current market realities. It will be slow going for the next two years but considering the obscene wealth/cost of housing in all of the towns around Asbury Park, it's not likely that any of this is going to stop.

New Jersey is one the wealthiest states in the country and they need distinct containment areas for the poor people to make all those rich people feel safe. In South Jersey it's Camden, Lindenwold, Mt. Holly, Burlington City, and Woodbury. At the Shore it's Lakewood, Asbury Park, Keansburg, Neptune and it used to include Freehold Boro, the west side of Red Bank, and a big chunk of Long Branch but those places have been gentrified to the point of irrelevance. My point here is that people from those areas were very dismissive of the idea of a "renaissance" and such conversations dripped with racial overtones. Local investors didn't get on board until it was so obvious as to be undeniable. On the other hand, when it comes to home buyers things were a little different. Average home prices were so outrageous that first-time buyers and a lot of renters didn't have much of a choice. It was "buy in Neptune or the west side of Red Bank or move to Toms River"

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
That's the thing about Asbury - It is and it isn't. The electric trains that go straight to Penn Station only go as far south as Long Branch (5 miles north). Rush hours diesel trains run from Bay Head down in Ocean Co., through Asbury Park, and then, after Red Bank, express to Newark and terminate in Hoboken. If you want to get to Penn Station you switch to an electric train in Long Branch or in Newark. It's only a slight inconvenience but as you head south from Long Branch the line between NYC and Philly becomes increasingly blurry and it manifests itself in a distinct identity.

If you ask people in Asbury "New York or Philly?" 9 out 10 people will say New York. You'll find that most people watch the NYC news even though people in Asbury also get Philly stations. The radio is decidedly New York although most people under 40 (and many New Yorkers) listen to a radio station located just 7 miles north of Asbury. You'll see the NYTimes and Newark Star-Ledger at all the news stands but it's also where you start to find the Philly Inquirer - but even then you'll find nearly everyone in Monmouth and Ocean County reading the Asbury Park Press.

That said, I lived in Allenhurst (just north of Deal Lake) and commuted to lower Manhattan (this is back in '98). For a while I was driving 20 minutes up Ocean Ave. and taking the 35 minute ferry ride that dropped me off a block from my office at Maiden & Water. But that was really tough on my wallet so I started taking the train. I caught the express at 7:18, rolled into Newark around 8:30, caught the PATH to the Trade Center, and usually got to my desk a few minutes after 9am. I looked at apartments in Brooklyn and Hoboken but wasn't into my job enough to move for it. Anyway, the trains run every twenty minutes between 5:30 and 7:30am and they didn't run express as a matter of convenience, it's because after Red Bank they couldn't fit anyone else on.

Last edited by newboldphilly; Feb 21, 2008 at 5:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:57 AM
Candy Jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yes, it's within the MSA and the commuter belt, though I think most of the renovations are being done by weekenders rather than relocatees.

Gays are really the greatest thing for revitalization. Give it 5 years or so and Asbury Park will be decent. Give it 10 years and it will be great.
I'd say you may be a bit overly optimistic, but this certainly does look good. Some of the developments in this thread look just like the shitty, soulless, slap-up condos that have become so common in the New York boom. Regardless of aesthetics and quality of materials, that's a good sign.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 7:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post

Nice shots BTW!
There are a number of boardwalks on the northern and central New Jersey "shore" that look more or less like that, but there was a Sopranos storyline where Tony bought a house "down the shore" in the general vicinity of Asbury Park.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 3:59 PM
Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
There are a number of boardwalks on the northern and central New Jersey "shore" that look more or less like that, but there was a Sopranos storyline where Tony bought a house "down the shore" in the general vicinity of Asbury Park.
The boardwalk shot was definitely in Asbury Park and their shore house was in Sea Bright. They even called it Sea Bright on the show.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos