HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 10:15 PM
Closed account

yea, I was there Saturday. snagged a cappuccino and few pastries while waiting for cake. it really is a gem. you simply can't beat this place. and yes, it was packed!!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 6:22 PM

I'm posting this from the Three16 Lounge (I'm using their wireless), thanks for this thread.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 7:04 PM
Closed account

say hi to Reg for me. haha.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post

March 28th- March 30th, 2008
Hamilton Convention Centre
1 Summers Lane Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Show Dates/Times
Friday March 28th - 5pm - 10pm
Saturday March 29th - 12noon - 10pm
Sunday March 30th- 12noon - 5pm

Everyone should go. I have been to the previous two and they where great. Come thirsty, hungry and don’t drive.
Take a cab or the HSR.

http://www.foodanddrinkfest.com/
Starts tonight!

link to a $2.00 off coupon.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 5:33 PM
Closed account

Apologies for posting this twice. I realized, late, that I was contributing to an off-topic thread.

So, back on target:

While I adore certain restaurants in Hamilton (Basilique for falafels; Pho on Cannon for pho tai soup), and will patronize them with my last buck, there are very few--if any--high end restaurants, period.

Boo's Bistro is borderline terrible, although I would try it again. Seven Windows on Aberdeen (fifty feet west of Dundurn ST) is, perhaps, the best dining room in the city for decor (a splendid renovation), and the food is very good, too. However, it is expensive, and it is not on par with the high end restaurants of the major cities like Toronto and Vancouver.

I frequently feel as though I've been "taken" at Hamilton's putative gourmet restaurants: the portions are pathetic and the prices extortionate for what is provided. Let me qualify this by saying that I have eaten dynamic, splendid, and bloody expensive meals at Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar in Toronto and Feenie's (chef Rob Feenie's "lower end" restaurant) in Vancouver, and I still--years after the experiences, dwell on them happily. Those nights were easily money well spent.

That, sadly, has never happened for me in Hamilton, and I fear it is yet a long way away, still.

All well, though: the mid-range restaurants are good and always exciting.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 9:48 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Agreed on Boo's Bistro - it's quite awful. The menu doesn't hold together. This is not real fusion cuisine.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 10:44 PM

JT Jacobs, if you have not yet tried the Ancaster Old Mill, I will recommend it with reservations. Avoid wedding season, and brace yourself for the noise from the overprivileged and undertravelled loudmouths who call Ancaster home, and you can have a genuinely local, sometimes spectacular meal.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Sinclair View Post
and brace yourself for the noise from the overprivileged and undertravelled loudmouths who call Ancaster home
Now that's an unfair generalization.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 5:53 AM
Closed account

Quote:
JT Jacobs, if you have not yet tried the Ancaster Old Mill, I will recommend it with reservations. Avoid wedding season, and brace yourself for the noise from the overprivileged and undertravelled loudmouths who call Ancaster home, and you can have a genuinely local, sometimes spectacular meal.
I haven't been to the Old Mill in an awfully long time, but will check it out again on the strength of your recommendation. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Now that's an unfair generalization.
Yes, it is. There are many fine people who call Ancaster home. But, sitting through an almost trancendent meal while some giant-haired trophy wife yells at her step-kids can really irritate me. And for some reason, I find nikes and windbreaker pants offensive in this context.

I may be old-fashioned, but I believe the diner has as much responsibility to address the meal properly as the chef. I can't expect him to wring out perfection when I am unwilling to even iron a shirt.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jacobs View Post
I haven't been to the Old Mill in an awfully long time, but will check it out again on the strength of your recommendation. Thanks.
I'm not sure when Jeff Crump took over as Executive Chef, but the kitchen now has a stellar line-up.

Please let me know your reaction, so I can calibrate my opinion with new data.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 6:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I'm not sure when Jeff Crump took over as Executive Chef, but the kitchen now has a stellar line-up.

Please let me know your reaction, so I can calibrate my opinion with new data.
Will do. Just give me a little time (I'm still in BC, although moving back to Hamilton this summer).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 9:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Yes, it is. There are many fine people who call Ancaster home. But, sitting through an almost trancendent meal while some giant-haired trophy wife yells at her step-kids can really irritate me. And for some reason, I find nikes and windbreaker pants offensive in this context.

I may be old-fashioned, but I believe the diner has as much responsibility to address the meal properly as the chef. I can't expect him to wring out perfection when I am unwilling to even iron a shirt.
I totally agree with you re the diner's responsibility. Where I think you erred though was assuming that the boorish diners are from Ancaster. The Old Mill is a 'destination' restaurant and people come from all over. (I think that 'trophy wife' was my Kent County cousin!)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 4:43 PM
Hammer'd

Went to the Black Forest Inn yesterday afternoon for lunch. It was incredibly enjoyable. The atmosphere is really comfortable, the food was fairly priced and the portions were fairly good. I plan to return for dinner with my out of towner aunt and uncle who enjoy German food. Gonna see if theres some kind of "gut buster" plate
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 5:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Went to the Black Forest Inn yesterday afternoon for lunch. It was incredibly enjoyable. The atmosphere is really comfortable, the food was fairly priced and the portions were fairly good. I plan to return for dinner with my out of towner aunt and uncle who enjoy German food. Gonna see if theres some kind of "gut buster" plate
Thanks for the tip. I used to enjoy getting take out at the Schwaben Inn in Dundas when I lived there and craved German comfort food--healthy portions; good value, too. I'm not sure if it's still around, though.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 5:04 PM
Hammer'd

As already mentioned you'll want to check out "Zum Linzer" on Main between Wentworth and Sanford as well. I haven't been but I have heard awesome things.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 4:46 AM

Zum Linzer is awesome. Stiegl on tap too, if I recall correctly.
Now if only some place would get Radeberger on tap.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 1:17 PM

I went to Thai Memory on King William St, just east of James over the weekend. I havn't had much Thai food in my life to compare, but I know what I likes and I enjoyed my meal very much.

I would recommend it to anyone, nice atmosphere too.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 7:11 PM
Closed account

from the Jazz thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
I believe the corktown pub has at least one jazz night a week -- wednesdays I think? www.corktownpub.ca
Has anyone actually been to Corktown Tavern (or Ye Olde Corktowne Taverne hehe) since being taken over by the Slantes people?

We REALLY want to try it out as it's so close, but are still kinda hesitant given the bar's well-known history!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 7:18 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
from the Jazz thread

Has anyone actually been to Corktown Tavern (or Ye Olde Corktowne Taverne hehe) since being taken over by the Slantes people?

We REALLY want to try it out as it's so close, but are still kinda hesitant given the bar's well-known history!
Oh come on - you're not really afraid of the Corktown are you? It's a Hamilton institution, and, being quintessentially Hamiltonian, it has always been rather rough around the edges, but only ever dangerous to those looking for danger (for the most part haha). It's not what it used to be but I recommend it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation