HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:51 PM

Jesus Christ that's like taking the worst parts of both of the old bids and mushing them together.

To me, decking over the LRT tracks and instituting some sort of an urban-like street grid are essential.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:55 PM

Those renders look like Terrasses de la Chaudiere had a litter of pups ....

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Jesus Christ that's like taking the worst parts of both of the old bids and mushing them together.

To me, decking over the LRT tracks and instituting some sort of an urban-like street grid are essential.
My thought's exactly. RVL won the 2015 competition on covering Line 1 and the street grid (including the Preston extension). Now the NCC throwing that away.

I don't mind the central park near the PoW. The location of the arena is not as good as that of RVL, but better than DCDLS. Had they covered the rail line, they could have added indoor walkways to Pimisi and Bayview Stations.

I'll be going to the Public Consultation tonight to get a better idea of what's being proposed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:52 PM

SJAM highway piercing through the landmark park is questionable at best. Zero chance such park could become a great place to hang around.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:57 PM

I disagree, I listened to the presentation and from an urban planning perspective, this is a great plan - better than what I expected.

- Decking over the LRT is admirable, but expensive. The two pedestrian bridges at Preston and City Centre are an affordable alternative.
- The massive park proposed NE of Bayview is a good juxtiposition to the urban density of 900 Albert (and likely the future Bayview Yards redevelopment as well), and could be used to expand the Blues Fest festival area.
- The continuous urban form along Booth Street from Albert to the SJAM Parkway is MUCH better than what was proposed in either previous proposals. This is key to bridge the gap as a pedestrian between the older districts of Ottawa and Zibi.
- The public amenities and concert hall are affordable and implementable, but put them together and the aqueduct district does seem to be an urban destination. Is it something someone from Vancouver will travel to to come see? Maybe not, but if a friend was visiting from Vancouver I might bring them here as a cool destination to hang out after visiting other tourist attractions - and that is just as important as an urban waterpark or something else of that nature.

I could go on....

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:05 PM

I find it very bleh. I hope we'll get a couple of highrises that aren't shoe boxes.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi-Fon View Post
I find it very bleh. I hope we'll get a couple of highrises that aren't shoe boxes.
You cannot judge architecture based off of renderings in a master plan, those are just placeholders.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
You cannot judge architecture based off of renderings in a master plan, those are just placeholders.
Yes but these buildings are the most Ottawa-ish buildings you can make. They represent our city a little to well to my taste and I fear they will not be to far away from a distant reality.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi-Fon View Post
Yes but these buildings are the most Ottawa-ish buildings you can make. They represent our city a little to well to my taste and I fear they will not be to far away from a distant reality.
Ha, fair - they are quite square. But at least the facade isn't brick.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:15 PM

Too much edge, not enough centre, as with every plan that has ever been put forward for Lebreton.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
...specially after Rod Lahey gets his hands on this

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:56 PM

I think that this basically has the same problem as the last round, a major on emphasis on renderings, with no feasible plan to deliver any of this, or even a basic grasp of the Ottawa real estate market This is basically another entry into a student competition.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:23 PM

acottawa, agreed.

It's basically the same as every other NCC project at this point.

Pay consultants hundreds of thousands for at least three or four reports.

Pay a final consultant another couple hundred thou to blend all the reports together.

Skim the bits out of each of the reports, and voila you have an NCC recommended plan.

In that respect, there's nothing innovative nor earth-shattering about the approach.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:36 PM
Busy Beaver

The plan seems to have marginalized the pathway link that passes beneath Pimisi station, which functions way better than their proposed curvy bridge thing they have going over the tracks.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:04 PM

A) how are they planning to get this done
B) SO MUCH OPEN PARKSPACE, we all know these will be cheapened, end up as grass field and so windy with nothing for anyone so will end up barely being used
C) All the cute "open" seating next to water or aquaduct will be removed and replaced with chain link fencing because god forbid anyone would get close to water.
D) I could go on...

For me, there's not much to get excited about in this proposal...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:09 PM

I’ll definitely be doing the online survey.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:23 PM

With all those huge residential towers it will take another 50 years to build so market could absorb them.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
With all those huge residential towers it will take another 50 years to build so market could absorb them.
But I mean, what else do we put there? We all know what happens when you line up a museum in a park: an open, windy place that fills with people once or twice a year.

We need to have a vibrant, mixed-use community with DENSITY. Granted, the programming at the base of these dense buildings needs to be thought out.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
- The public amenities and concert hall are affordable and implementable, but put them together and the aqueduct district does seem to be an urban destination. Is it something someone from Vancouver will travel to to come see? Maybe not, but if a friend was visiting from Vancouver I might bring them here as a cool destination to hang out after visiting other tourist attractions - and that is just as important as an urban waterpark or something else of that nature.

I could go on....
Concert hall?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Concert hall?
My bad, it's less nailed down than that:

Quote:
6. LeBreton Place: A signature opportunity site for an entertainment/music venue, cultural institution or sports complex in the heart of the Aqueduct District.
Its located underneath the circular part of the Preston ped/cycling bridge on the west side of the Aqueduct District. Not to be confused with the larger optional arena/events centre they've located west of Preston, north of Albert, and south of the LRT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa