HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Wow, I always thought he would be on HNIC until he died (probably on TV after bursting an aneurysm during one of his tirades). An end of an era.
Don Cherry should have retired about 10 years ago. Maybe 20. But no, he had to stick around until he got the unceremonious boot.

He was always a weird enigma to me. Passionately Canadian, but didn't really understand Canada outside of his limited viewpoint. He had an almost over-the-top personality, one that would seem to be more American than anything. It figures, since he spent so much time down there.

It's a weird irony that he went out on a topic that ordinarily is one of his better topics - it's hard to make Remembrance Day a thing about race, but he found a way.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Don't try and bring facts into the witch hunt. Frankly, I don't have an issue with whatever he said because he passed his best before date years ago and should have been gone.

My issue is with the gutless, greasy way Sportsnet got rid of him. They're saying he "stepped down" as if he had a choice. Why didn't they just have the balls to say they canned his ass. Typical greasy behaviour.
They gave him the option to apologize and he declined.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Funny to think that most of us believe him to be a man out of his time, yet his quotes are quite tame compared to the supposed leader of the free world.
Well, that's a title that's gone now. Thank the orange moron for that.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:42 PM

Don Cherry is just an old man at 85 who has always said he wished it was still 1955 he is a holdover of the old WASP establishment. People shouldn't take what he has to say seriously and get all worked up about it its the same type of thought an old lady at the grocery store would have to say. Also he only has a grade 9 education to boot.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:44 PM

^ hes literally on nationally televised tv, not in a grocery store.

which sportsnet exec wants to lose any sort of marketing money over this?

defense force for him on here is baffling.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:46 PM

I thought I would never post in this thread, but this is a truly happy day. Happy for hockey, happy for Canada, and happy for good taste!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
^ hes literally on nationally televised tv, not in a grocery store.

which sportsnet exec wants to lose any sort of marketing money over this?

defense force for him on here is baffling.
Sportsnet and CBC knew full well the risk of putting him out there every week for the past 40 years would bring. They pretend they are offended but never quarreled about the ratings and revenue he brought them over the past decades. I could see Sportsnet possibly losing a lot of subscribers because of this. A lot of hockey fans are the old stock WASP establishment and may be pissed off from this.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I won't miss him but don't feel strongly either way. Though it was better having him on a private network than on the payroll of the public broadcaster.

Predictably, the francophone media are all about how he's been talking smack about francophones (and Europeans) for a couple of decades, but as soon as he touches upon Toronto-style diversity, he is gone.

Personally I tend to be of the go big or go home view. So sure if blowhards like him get to have their say, I don't see why someone saying "je ne parle pas anglais" to a customer in a Tim Hortons in Montreal merits its own segment on W5 or even 60 Minutes, and a complaint to the UN Human Rights Commission.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Sportsnet and CBC knew full well the risk of putting him out there every week for the past 40 years would bring. They pretend they are offended but never quarreled about the ratings and revenue he brought them over the past decades. I could see Sportsnet possibly losing a lot of subscribers because of this. A lot of hockey fans are the old stock WASP establishment and may be pissed off from this.
If I had a nickel for every-time you used WASP today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Personally I tend to be of the go big or go home view. So sure if blowhards like him get to have their say, I don't see why someone saying "je ne parle pas anglais" to a customer in a Tim Hortons in Montreal merits its own segment on W5 or even 60 Minutes, and a complaint to the UN Human Rights Commission.
Yea but are they faking it? (thats a joke)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:58 PM
video et taceo

I always thought Cherry was a tool about Montreal and Quebec, but I just sort of took it for granted that sometimes there are tools and they say stuff. I also knew he had a constituency (of people I largely also thought were tools), and so his particular brand of toolery was something I expected to encounter from time to time.

It was all very Gen X of me, looking back.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
If I had a nickel for every-time you used WASP today..

Yea but are they faking it? (thats a joke)
I know I know but to me he is the embodiment of it

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
when it was just CBC, it being a public broadcaster had to toe the line between left and right wing. Sports-net being a private company has no such obligations. Cherry is a financial liability, especially in 2019.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:20 PM

About time. He is an old man that has trouble changing with the times and being a public figure on TV he should of known better. Just because certain immigrant don’t conform to your view like not caring about Canada’s history or look at Canadian soldiers as the enemy we have to all step back and accept and meet the new Canadians half way, we should change our point of views instead of being racists and attacking them for there beliefs.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
when it was just CBC, it being a public broadcaster had to toe the line between left and right wing. Sports-net being a private company has no such obligations. Cherry is a financial liability, especially in 2019.
If he was a financial liability he wouldn't have been there at 80+ years old. He made people money, simple as that, that's why people put up with him, just like Arthur Godfrey. The hypocrites (Rogers and CBC) put up with it and made money, until they couldn't.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
If he was a financial liability he wouldn't have been there at 80+ years old. He made people money, simple as that, that's why people put up with him, just like Arthur Godfrey. The hypocrites (Rogers and CBC) put up with it and made money, until they couldn't.
Highly doubtful he was still making anyone that much money. It sounded like he was going to be let go quietly without a contract extension before the start of this season, but when it became public Sportsnet figured they might as well keep it going one more year and both parties could depart on amicable terms. I think it's also pretty obvious they've been grooming Brian Burke for the role with his grumpy old man shtick on the panel.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
About time. He is an old man that has trouble changing with the times and being a public figure on TV he should of known better. Just because certain immigrant don’t conform to your view like not caring about Canada’s history or look at Canadian soldiers as the enemy we have to all step back and accept and meet the new Canadians half way, we should change our point of views instead of being racists and attacking them for there beliefs.
I am not a militaristic person and actually only got my poppy over the weekend but the views you are talking about are definitely not something we should meeting people halfway on.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:42 PM

I rather watch Pierre McGuire and his stupid monsters wham bam its a double dion than Brian Burke! Even this guy as Pierre McGuire is better than Burke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxDMG7xKuS4

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I don't believe Cherry to be racist, two players he stuck up for the most in recent years have been Kadri and Subban. He had no reason to stick up for those guys. If you show pride for Canada he doesn't seem to care where you are from.
I don't know if he was racist, but he was definitely xenophobic. And an irrelevant windbag, a drunk uncle at Thanksgiving, an old man yelling at clouds. Good riddance. The first intermission will finally be watchable again.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I am not a militaristic person and actually only got my poppy over the weekend but the views you are talking about are definitely not something we should meeting people halfway on.
That post was definitely offensive.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I agree

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada