HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 5:27 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
And GWL is pouring huge money into their HQ reno right now, so I don't see them moving. They do rent a ton of space elsewhere downtown but that's not head office stuff so I don't see them building a new tower for it.
Yep.

If GWL decides to buy another insurance company somewhere in the world, and further expand their base of operations in Winnipeg, then we might see something from them.

For now, it seems they're fine where they are.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
You’re probably right. But one never knows. For example 300 main was announced out of nowhere (for myself it was, as for the general public) ... I thought Winnipeg would be getting a steady (every one - two years) stream of buildings in the 60-80m height range. And then hello 300 Main St. Haha

People said the same thing about the Bow in Calgary, and all of a sudden Brooksfield was announced out of no where. I distinctly remember criticism from NIMBYs out there (yes, we had them in Calgary too) about the look of the building and how it’s too big and something of that nature and someone replying with “we won’t ever see a taller structure for many, many years so let’s enjoy this one)

Few years later, Brooksfield announced.

After than, our neighbour to the North, not known for the same heights seen in Calgary, came with a big surprise in the form of Santec tower which will be the tallest in the province.

I know there’s completely different underlying market and demand factors in Alberta and those cities plus their respective sizes vs Winnipeg, but we will be marching towards 900k CMA and I could see a 150+m tower announced out of nowhere
Or at least if not a new tallest, something in the 110-140m range
Cities like Calgary had more economic indicators suggesting favourable market conditions for growth. Whether it's low supply of apartments and (previously) condos, to resource based booms, the positives are (or were) obvious.

Winnipeg is steady Eddie, and while tech is growing, it and venture capitalism in general is much more speculative. We have a healthy apartment market but are unsure if we're flooding it with too much new supply (I don't think we are). Office is steady but nobody is going to give themselves the headache TNS assumed by building class A high volume space and grind to fill it halfway, often at expense of other downtown space.

Things can happen out of nowhere, but there are more supporting factors for such acts of God in Calgary, for example. The wildcard is that our downtown is growing at a strong rate, but it's so relatively small that we don't know where our figurative saturation is... but maybe there is much more ongoing demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Agreed. As much as I would love to see a couple of 200m+ towers pop into the skyline, we need infill throughout our sprawling downtown. I'd rather have a bunch of 5-10 story buildings go up on surface lots than have one 50-story (but I would love a 50-story nonetheless). Fill in the streetscape down at ground level before we worry too much about filling in the skyline. But I do realize this is SkyscraperPage not StreetscapePage and we like tall towers.
The potential problem is that what we think (or planners think) would be nice for downtown only means so much. The developer's dollar matters, and our construction costs are very high. Since land is individually owned, everyone will try to maximize their buildings in order to overcome their land and construction costs... Developer A has no incentive to stay at 5 stories so his neighbour can do the same. He'll build 10 if the market can support it.

The wildcard, as aforementioned, is if demand for apartments continues and downtown gains more momentum. We don't know if it has enough draw YET to be a destination, but maybe we're closer than we think
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Yeah. Once I dived into the MB Hydro thread and found people saying that it would be the only development for another 20 years. Then we see many others being built. Hope the status quo will be broken soon this time.
Crown project, so doesn't even count. 201 Portage until Centrepoint... that was the gap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
IG has had massive layoffs and moved their call centre from portage place to one Canada centre. They have excess capacity there. Also moving some responsibilities to Toronto and the Mackenzie offices there. Don’t see them neeeding any office space any time soon.
Speculating over one major companies bulk needs is, well, almost impossible.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:49 PM

The core of 330 main is rising now. Looks like a stairwell and maybe an elevator. Also core of 300 is continuing on. Looks like the slip form thing is getting installed.

I have a couple photos I can post in a bit.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 10:12 PM

300 Main (@300_main) on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq7zfiygPfg/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 3:34 PM

^Thanks for the close ups. So much anticipation for this one and it looks like these next few weeks we will finally see so noticeable vertical progress.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The core of 330 main is rising now. Looks like a stairwell and maybe an elevator. Also core of 300 is continuing on. Looks like the slip form thing is getting installed.

I have a couple photos I can post in a bit.
Could you post these photos?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 7:49 PM

I didn't post them, as the Instagram ones posted by wpg_guy were better haha I was on the bus.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 9:22 PM

I just noticed the second last photo shows what looks to be an elevator shaft with a second, larger shaft in the background. Is one shaft for the second level to the mall and the other for the apartment?

Queue Jabroni with a comment about shafts...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 3:25 AM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Could you post these photos?
Yes, the elevator core for 330 Main is being built on top of the existing core.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:44 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
I just noticed the second last photo shows what looks to be an elevator shaft with a second, larger shaft in the background. Is one shaft for the second level to the mall and the other for the apartment?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:54 PM

this project really seems to be showing much more progress. It's nice to see all that steel going together in the south/west corner.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:22 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:

Nah, I'm good. Not in the mood tonight.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:42 PM

This morning I noticed concrete barricades and fencing going up on Fort St along the west side of this development.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Nah, I'm good. Not in the mood tonight.

Yes, there's no need to be rigid about making "shaft" comments.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
this project really seems to be showing much more progress. It's nice to see all that steel going together in the south/west corner.
I think that steel might be for the formwork, not for the building structure itself. Seeing the steel up close, it's clear from their battered condition, that the steel has been used in other projects.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 2:47 AM

Thanks to all of you who are keeping us updated with pictures!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Yes, the elevator core for 330 Main is being built on top of the existing core.

What I'd like to see is what's down under. I cannot place those old shafts in the Winnipeg square. Even though as a kid I lived down their practically. The sheer size of them had to take up alot of space. All I can think of was the area in the food court that had some huge from what I remember brick blank walls? Were these the shafts to nowhere?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
The sheer size of them had to take up alot of space. All I can think of was the area in the food court that had some huge from what I remember brick blank walls? Were these the shafts to nowhere?
I'm pretty sure that's it.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
What I'd like to see is what's down under. I cannot place those old shafts in the Winnipeg square. Even though as a kid I lived down their practically. The sheer size of them had to take up alot of space. All I can think of was the area in the food court that had some huge from what I remember brick blank walls? Were these the shafts to nowhere?
Brick walls, a couple of vendor spots on the mall side. Basically a walled off void.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan