HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:40 PM

There's a lot to like about the vision that is going into this project and the impact that it could have on this end of town.

I know that there is already a connection via the Jordan River Trail, but I would love to see more north south connections between RMP site and the neighborhood to the south, even if they are just pedestrian bridges over the rail line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Love seeing the renderings with the Gadsen plant smokestacks intact. I think they should preserve and paint them with giant letters that say "Salt Lake City". Those stacks are the closest thing to an iconic form as you enter the city from the airport (well except for our amazing mountains). Gadsen will be decommissioned as I understand.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:34 PM

The power plant will be decommissioned by 2032 at the latest. RMP is open to decommissioning it sooner if the chosen developer would like to include the power plant area in their initial phase of their build out.

I do think it would be great if each stack had a portion of Salt Lake City vertically. It could be replicated on both sides of the stack so that it can be read easily from both directions of I-80/North Temple and even from downtown.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:22 AM

I love the idea of including the decommissioned stacks in the development. They could have something similar to Gas Works Park in Seattle.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I love the idea of including the decommissioned stacks in the development. They could have something similar to Gas Works Park in Seattle.
definitely. gas works is my favorite attraction in seattle

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:24 AM

Casa Milagros opens

Apartment Complex With Affordable Units For Older Adults Opens In Salt Lake City
KUER 90.1 | By Emily Means
Published November 17, 2020 at 5:00 AM MST
https://www.kuer.org/business-econom...salt-lake-city
Quote:

Casa Milagros is an apartment complex for seniors, primarily those with low incomes.

Centro Civico Mexicano, Utah’s oldest nonprofit Hispanic organization, this fall opened a new affordable housing complex for older adults in Salt Lake City.

The Casa Milagros apartment complex, on the west side of the city, is for people aged 62 and up. Eighty percent of the units are for low-income individuals, and the rent ranges from $285 to $780, depending on the size of the unit.

Brandy Farmer, president of Centro Civico Mexicano, said the housing development has been a long time coming.

“It was dreamed up about 10 or 15 years ago, to build affordable housing because our baby boomers were getting older,” Farmer said. “And [the board members] felt that they could provide housing.”

The housing is the first part of a larger project being undertaken by Centro Civico Mexicano. Farmer said the next phase will be an adjacent community center, where residents can take classes and connect with young people at afterschool programs once the coronavirus pandemic is over.

Afton January, communications manager for Salt Lake County Aging and Adult Services, said affordable housing is out of reach for many who need it, but it can be even harder to come by when you’re a senior on a tight budget.

“Your income may end up being limited just to Social Security or maybe a modest pension,” January said. “And of course, remember, a lot of folks lost retirement savings that they had during our housing market crash about 10 years ago.”

The units in Centro Civico Mexicano’s are open to all older adults who meet the criteria, but Farmer especially encourages people from the Latino community to apply.

The project was supported by Salt Lake City municipal funding.

January said she’s excited to see a community organization stepping up to provide affordable housing and she hopes Centro Civico Mexicano’s project serves as a model for other organizations.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:00 PM
Engineer

Is there anything we can do to make affordable housing better looking? That design vastly underwhelms.

Last edited by airhero; Apr 2, 2024 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:32 PM
Space Magi

Yeah the street face of that building is just awful. But the residents will have great views of the valley and mountains!

That is until the entire block is filled in with apartments within the next five years.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:14 PM

I actually kind of like the facade. It's very Mexican modern. It is not your typical cup of tea, though. I will say that if there other 6 story apartment buildings built to the north & south of that building, the views of those apartments will be blocked and light will be limited. I don't understand why they didn't put more windows on the street facing facade.

Last edited by Orlando; Nov 18, 2020 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:25 PM
Space Magi

Here's a BSL image of the block in question:

Projects currently planned for the empty lots on this block:
  1. CINQ (7 stories, mixed-use, 203 apartments)
  2. Greenprint Gateway (6 stories, 150 apartments)
  3. Centro Civico Phase II (5-6 stories, non-residential mixed-use)
  4. Alta Depot (4 stories, 288 apartments)
That's a total of 641 new apartments in addition to the existing 61 at Casa Milagros and 277 at Alta Gateway. Crazy to think that in five years there could be more than 2,000 people living on this block alone, up from probably close to zero a mere decade ago.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Here's a BSL image of the block in question:

Projects currently planned for the empty lots on this block:
  1. CINQ (7 stories, mixed-use, 203 apartments)
  2. Greenprint Gateway (6 stories, 150 apartments)
  3. Centro Civico Phase II (5-6 stories, non-residential mixed-use)
  4. Alta Depot (4 stories, 288 apartments)
That's a total of 641 new apartments in addition to the existing 61 at Casa Milagros and 277 at Alta Gateway. Crazy to think that in five years there could be more than 2,000 people living on this block alone, up from probably close to zero a mere decade ago.
Do you mean 1,000? Your number is double what I've added from your survey.

The city should try to get a grocery store in that area. I had a friend who lived in the Gateway apartments, but there wasn't much everyday retail like groceries, etc. around the area. Lots of eateries and mall like retail in the Gateway at that time, though.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:14 PM

The gateway has a grocery store already, it’s actually pretty nice!
http://shopthegateway.com/directory/...-foods-market/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:23 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Do you mean 1,000? Your number is double what I've added from your survey.

The city should try to get a grocery store in that area. I had a friend who lived in the Gateway apartments, but there wasn't much everyday retail like groceries, etc. around the area. Lots of eateries and mall like retail in the Gateway at that time, though.
I guess I was assuming that there would be more than 1 person per unit. I saw something recently that put the average at something like 2.3/unit (can't remember where), so that's how I came up with 2,000. It may be more or less than that depending on the distribution of apartment sizes in the developments. I doubt they are all studios with one occupant though.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I actually kind of like the facade. It's very Mexican modern. It is not your typical cup of tea, though. I will say that if there other 6 story apartment buildings built to the north & south of that building, the views of those apartments will be blocked and light will be limited. I don't understand why they didn't put more windows on the street facing facade.

I like it too, when taken as a whole, especially in tandem with its upcoming phase II. The photos from the Comp. Thread are not so washed out and unflattering. Also, you can see that the Phase II part of the development gives it some breathing room on the right.

Downtown West, Casa Milagros 62+Senior Living, Phase I Completed

https://www.after55.com/listing/103040/casa-milagros

On the 100 South block of 600 West, the Casa Milagros Senior Living project at Centro Civico Mexicano is looking ready to be framed.

April 15th Photos Update At Casa Milagros Senior Housing Project Site

Casa Milagros senior housing continues to fill out at 145 South 600 West. Photo by Luke Garrott.

April 26th Photo Update By StayingInformed

Last edited by delts145; Nov 18, 2020 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger4 View Post
The gateway has a grocery store already, it’s actually pretty nice!
http://shopthegateway.com/directory/...-foods-market/
Nice. That must have been introduced during the remake of the Gateway.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:04 PM

Since the discussion is on the Gateway and the Depot District, now is probably as good a time as any to drop the final draft of the Rio Grande Plan in this thread:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e2Z...ew?usp=sharing (PDF Warning)

It's basically the same plan as before, but now the document is only 18 pages long. Forum member cj.blakely provided the absolutely beautiful renderings, which (IMO) need to be posted here separately so that he can get all the praise he deserves.

Here is just a taste:

Existing

Proposed

As always, if you see anything horribly wrong, (poor words, ugly formatting, errors, etc) please let me know so I can fix them before sending this to the big wigs.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:14 PM

^
I love those renderings Hatman and cj.blakely! I hope this becomes a reality.

Also, Here are a couple photos I took yesterday:

Post District:

Paperbox Lofts from 400 W:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:24 PM
Space Magi

Hatman, I can't view the PDF right now. I think you need to change the sharing link or sharing permissions.

Looking forward to seeing it though!

EDIT: nevermind! It's looking good, Hatman. I'm digging the updated visuals and sharpened focus. My main feedback is at the beginning: it feels like there needs to be a better intro/hook at the start. You jump from the title page to "Why restore rail service?" without introducing the current conditions and laying out the problem you're addressing. I think it would be good to include a kind of short statement of purpose/background at the beginning before listing the costs and benefits, just to get the reader oriented. It may also be worth mentioning that UTA is already planning on overhauling SL Central and building a new headquarters too. Since they're already planning on spending a ton of money doing this, you could further justify your plan because it's a bigger and better solution to the same problem.

Also, thanks for the photos RC14!

Last edited by Atlas; Nov 18, 2020 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:46 PM
The Drifter

Hatman, great proposal. In the past, I had a harder time wanting to read about it as it was kind of tl;dr. you two did an awesome job and I hope the city takes it seriously as I feel it could do wonders for the city of Salt Lake and the surrounding area. Getting rid of above-ground rail lines, opening up the large blocks, and removing bridges will improve that area's walkability.

Great job Hatman and cj.blakely

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
My main feedback is at the beginning: it feels like there needs to be a better intro/hook at the start. You jump from the title page to "Why restore rail service?" without introducing the current conditions and laying out the problem you're addressing. I think it would be good to include a kind of short statement of purpose/background at the beginning before listing the costs and benefits, just to get the reader oriented. It may also be worth mentioning that UTA is already planning on overhauling SL Central and building a new headquarters too. Since they're already planning on spending a ton of money doing this, you could further justify your plan because it's a bigger and better solution to the same problem.
This is excellent feedback. Thanks

Okay, okay, I can't help myself. I have to point out my favorite thing about the rendering I shared. Historically, the Rio Grande sign was joined by another sign that said "Western Pacific," which was a partner railroad to the Rio Grande:

Well, look at what cj.blakely did to the sign in his rendering!

Last edited by Hatman; Nov 18, 2020 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Can't help myself

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 3:42 AM

I don't think it's ugly at all.

Quote:
Yeah the street face of that building is just awful. But the residents will have great views of the valley and mountains!

That is until the entire block is filled in with apartments within the next five years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West