HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:16 PM

Atlantic Canada CFL team now eyes 2021 start in Moncton
Man behind proposed franchise says 2020 start 'not realistic'
Dan Ralph The Canadian Press July 5 2019

Anthony LeBlanc has tempered his enthusiasm.

LeBlanc said Friday the expectation now is for the CFL's Atlantic Schooners to be ready to play in 2021 in Moncton, N.B., while a new stadium is being built in Halifax. This past winter, LeBlanc contended if all went well, the expansion franchise could begin play in 2020.

"We want to get started as soon as possible but we have to be cognizant of the work that goes into this," LeBlanc said in a telephone interview. "It's not a surprise it's taking longer than we expected . . . and we just need to be realistic.

"I don't think it's realistic at this point to even consider 2020. Look, nobody's more frustrated with the timing than I am but the last thing we want to do is rush this. We've got to ensure we're good partners and whatever we provide we want it to be fully baked and give us the best shot at this working."

LeBlanc is co-founder of Schooners Sports and Entertainment (formerly Maritime Football Limited), which is the group looking to secure a CFL franchise for Halifax. Also on Friday, LeBlanc announced SSE has lowered ticket prices for the Aug. 25 Touchdown Atlantic game in Moncton between the Montreal Alouettes and Toronto Argonauts.

Admission now will be as low as $29. When the game was confirmed in March, tickets started at $65.

"Whenever it's a single event versus season tickets or nine regular-season games, there's always going to be some level of uptick," LeBlanc said. "But I think we were way too aggressive when we first went out.

"Admittedly when the prices were suggested to me, my initial thought was, 'Those seem high.' It's one of those cases that I wish I would've said something then but we still have two months to go so I think it's fine."

LeBlanc said early ticket sales were solid, especially with the higher-end ones, before fans in the region began voicing their concerns. The $29 tickets are in a general-admission area in one of the end zones at Croix-Bleue Medavie Stadium while those in the other end zone, also general admission, are $45.

"We started hearing from many people throughout the region that the ticket prices were just not accessible, in particular, for families and students," he said. "So we decided to create a family zone so people could bring their kids.

"That allowed us to put together a much more fan-friendly price point. Then many key sponsors who we're working with on this game put their hands up to help be a part of the ticketing package to kind of cushion the blow and it was their support that allowed us to come out and kind of re-launch."

The cheapest grandstand ticket is $65. The stadium has 10,000 permanent seats and can be expanded to a capacity of 20,725.

The Ticketmaster seating map for the game Friday had large chunks of unsold seats on the sidelines.

Original ticket prices for the game — which will be the fourth CFL regular-season contest in Moncton — were significantly higher than what both the Argos ($21) and Alouettes ($26) have as their cheapest seats for their next home games.

Fans who purchased tickets at higher prices will be offered credit towards additional tickets, season tickets for the Atlantic Schooners inaugural season or a refund for the difference between the price points.

However, the biggest hurdle facing SSE is the construction of a suitable stadium for the CFL franchise.

The initial proposal called for a facility to be built at Shannon Park for between $170 and $190 million. In April, SSE unveiled a proposal for a scaled-back stadium that could be built for $130 million but expanded in the future.

SSE has signed a letter of intent with Canada Lands Company, the federal Crown corporation that owns Shannon Park.

"We're basically hunkered down with Canada Lands Company," LeBlanc said. "What we've done jointly is hire two or three best-of-breed consultants to come in and assist us with the business plan that we're putting together for HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality).

"Basically when we present this to Halifax, it will have independent third-party analysis of what that site can support along with other things like traffic studies and environmental studies. We still feel confident we'll be able to present and have Halifax senior staff review and hopefully get a recommendation to council by the end of the calendar year."

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting. So they are still sticking to the plan of holding their opening season here in Moncton, except most likely in 2021.

I'm due a partial refund on the four (overpriced) tickets I bought for Touchdown Atlantic. If this report is accurate, and the Schooners play in Moncton in 2021, I might just convert my refund into a down payment on a couple of season's tickets for the inaugural season. I won't continue on after the inaugural season (Halifax is too far to drive down every other week for a football game), but for professional football in Moncton, I think this would be a blast..........

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 10:36 PM

I'd certainly be up for two season tickets as well.
I'm disappointed at the paucity of hard information on the end zone tickets. I'll be in the stands, but if I was eyeing the cheap tickets, I'd like to know if I get a seat or if I get to sit in an inch or two of water (should it rain.) Too bad it's a state secret and stunned reporters who don't know a football from a hockey puck don't ask questions like that. Guess I'll give them a phone call, which is no biggie, but I shouldn't have to chase them for such basic info.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 10:58 PM

Moncton is dishing out up to $55,000 of taxpayer money to install end zones for one neutral-site football game that looks like it might sell less than 10,000 tickets (compared to 20k in 2011) despite slashed prices?

Also.... for what has been (quite fairly) labeled as a poorly-marketed event, there's suddenly an awful lot of talk about it around town.

Moncton commits $55,000 to CFL game after closed-door meeting

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:30 PM
ハルウララ

Can any Moncton folks verify this? I'm cautious when using blogs as sources:

https://firstdownsportspodcast.com/2...antic-parking/

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Down Sports Podcast
I took a drive around the City of Moncton today and there are no signs pointing out the fact that on Sunday there will be a professional CFL game taking place at the Medavie Bluecross Stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Down Sports Podcast
Medavie Bluecross stadium is located on the University of Moncton campus, which has a ton of flags surrounding every corner, yet not one is a CFL logo. There are no banners, no signs, or anything at all indicating that an event trying to attract 10,000 plus people is happening this upcoming Sunday.

Media is reporting that there'll be a park-ride from the Coliseum but that there will be no parking on-site.

https://www.919thebend.ca/2019/08/20...sc_ref=twitter

Last edited by JHikka; Aug 20, 2019 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

100% ACCURATE.

The Acadian World Congress is on and most of the available space on lampposts around town is taken up with festive bunting in rouge, blanc et bleue in celebration of the congress. What little that remains is advertising the Cirque de Soleil ice show at the Avenir Centre.

As for the CFL game - <crickets><crickets><cricket>................

I think UdeM considers itself an unwilling host for the event. No on campus signage whatsoever, and a complete prohibition on on-campus parking, despite the fact the classes haven't started yet.

I'm sure UdeM would have preferred to host a tintamarre at le Stade Medavie Croix Bleue in celebration of the Congress Mondiale rather than a pesky CFL game.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The lack of advertising and promotion of this CFL game (and of Touchdown Atlantic #3) compared to the first two Touchdown Atlantic games is truly stunning.

Ian Fowler must be spinning in his grave.........

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:03 PM

The dream of a Moncton CFL team is dead. This game is just Halifax's sloppy seconds.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:31 PM

I've been saying this since the late spring, and now a few days before the game and we are clearly heading for a repeat of the embarrassment of the last game where folks from across Canada headed downtown in their football finery to find. . . . absolutely nothing going on. They then got another stunning disappointment when the same thing greeted them at the stadium gates, a "tailgate party" that was empty because it cost you $10 to get in, in order to buy their $10 beers and maybe throw a football through a hoop.
WT ACTUAL F!
I'm not sure it's the city's job to promote Anthony LeBlanc's dream or not. Maybe it is, I honestly don't know. But if this is what Halifax has to look forward to with his football dream, they can have it. If it's up to the city to generate some hype for what is always a great afternoon featuring great football in a fun atmosphere, then someone needs to be fired today.
A quick glance at the ticket sales website and you can see that if there isn't a big walk-up for this, it's going to look really bad on TV for us all. Someone needs to start handing out free tickets to local football associations, and they need to do it RFN.
On another note, thank you CTV for hyping the fact there is no on-site parking instead of focusing on the various means of getting there, which they didn't even mention. Nor did they mention how smoothly the transport plan worked for Games 1, 2 and 3. Not sure what they have against Moncton but they sure don't hesitate to put a negative spin on their Moncton stories.
Anyways, the weather looks good for game time and me and my buddies will be in fine football form.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:51 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I've been saying this since the late spring, and now a few days before the game and we are clearly heading for a repeat of the embarrassment of the last game where folks from across Canada headed downtown in their football finery to find. . . . absolutely nothing going on. They then got another stunning disappointment when the same thing greeted them at the stadium gates, a "tailgate party" that was empty because it cost you $10 to get in, in order to buy their $10 beers and maybe throw a football through a hoop.
WT ACTUAL F!
I'm not sure it's the city's job to promote Anthony LeBlanc's dream or not. Maybe it is, I honestly don't know. But if this is what Halifax has to look forward to with his football dream, they can have it. If it's up to the city to generate some hype for what is always a great afternoon featuring great football in a fun atmosphere, then someone needs to be fired today.
A quick glance at the ticket sales website and you can see that if there isn't a big walk-up for this, it's going to look really bad on TV for us all. Someone needs to start handing out free tickets to local football associations, and they need to do it RFN.
On another note, thank you CTV for hyping the fact there is no on-site parking instead of focusing on the various means of getting there, which they didn't even mention. Nor did they mention how smoothly the transport plan worked for Games 1, 2 and 3. Not sure what they have against Moncton but they sure don't hesitate to put a negative spin on their Moncton stories.
Anyways, the weather looks good for game time and me and my buddies will be in fine football form.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:39 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Indeed. I will be there too, with my three sons, and I plan on having a grand time too. I've been to all three previous games, and they were all great family events. I expect the same this time too, despite the best attempts of the organizers to do otherwise.........

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:39 AM

I also attended the previous three games and had a blast. Despite the bizarre lack of marketing and promotion, that does not take away from the fact that this is a great event, a ton of fun and will feature some amazing athleticism.
I hope people pack the joint. It really is a great afternoon for the whole family.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:56 PM

Sj

The game should have been held in Saint John!...a real city!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see the trolls are out today...........

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:22 PM

Perhaps if they offered a free pair of binoculars with every east stand ticket purchase, then some people might be enticed.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 9:38 PM

Well the New Country 96.9 family zone is officially sold out so I’m guessing a few people must be attending.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:51 PM

My sons and I have been to every Touchdown Atlantic so far and had a great time... this Sunday we'll be there again.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:56 PM

CBC Moncton talked about the game this morning

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...ying-attention

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:46 AM

This is what i have been thinking about the up-coming game on Sunday. 1. I agree with many folks here that the lack of hype and marketing of this event were flawed from the get go. 2. The original cost for a ticket drove away some folks but now they have subsequently lowered ticket prices. 3. They should've stuck with the Sunday 7PM start and have a East VS West rivalry. 4.There was no clear strategy on how the event was going to be held.

I hope that Anthony Leblanc and the ownership grup will learn from this.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I saw a giant inflatable football player on the lawn of Moncton Subaru today, facing Highway 15/11.

This was the first evidence I've seen yet indicating there will be a CFL game played in the city this weekend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces