HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 1:53 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I don't think anything new has been released but there's some new info on that lighthouse tower. It's 360m tall, and my god is it thin
Here are some renders and an article to go with it:

The world's first zero-carbon emission tower could be built in Dubai, Construction Week has learned.

Atkins Middle East is currently working on the design of the building, which will be located in Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC).

Lee Morris, senior architect, Atkins Middle East, said that the tower is in the early stages of design.

"We are working on a potential project for DIFC and are looking at it having zero-carbon emission. The tower would produce its own power - enough to counter the energy use of the building. Now that would be a huge goal."

He added: "It is conceptual, but it has been given a piece of land, and it has been approved by HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum [vice-president and prime minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai]."

In order to achieve its ultimate design, Morris said that Atkins will focus on the tower's orientation, the increased thermal insulation of the building, along with high-volume photovoltaic cells.

The company is also looking into integrating wind turbines on the building.

"It will be expensive - it has to be because the technology we are going to be using is probably a couple of years away from the mainstream," said Morris.

According to Morris, the move to build an iconic building that is sustainable reflects a growing change in Dubai.

"Once you get this groundswell it is going to be awesome and will be hard to resist. The Dubai government has signed the Kyoto protocol, so it has made a commitment to engage on this. And as the country and development matures, particularly as it is a young society, and it is this same society that will bring in views on this kind of thing, I think the next few years will see a sea change."

Atkins' sustainable building projects in the region include the Bahrain World Trade Centre, which uses wind turbines to generate up to 15% of the building's energy, and the Trump Tower on Palm Jumeirah, which has vertically mounted solar panels to generate energy as well as pipes running through the external skin of the building, which heat water.

Other buildings in the emirate that have made strides towards going ‘green' include Wafi City's district cooling plant, which in January achieved the Gold Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) status, the first accreditation of its kind in the Middle East.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 2:56 PM
Honored Member

I like this proposal very much:

What in earth could that green thing be in the middle of it ??

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 3:23 PM
Urban Explorer

Heliport?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
What in earth could that green thing be in the middle of it ??
Martini Glass?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 6:25 PM

--

[IMG]http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/830_2_1000%20Aedas%20EmaarTower%20landscape.jpg

Aside from Ocean Heights, nothing really stands out. Burj Dubai, as tall as it is, is rather boring to me. I don't give a shit how tall it is.[/QUOTE]

Even Bruj duabi seems to be a little common as many have said, maybe this entrance will gice a modern view, and an elegant one altought.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 6:27 PM

This might give a less boring view to Burj Dubai, the Emaar, Tower

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 7:59 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Al Shark os 2 plain and 2 tall for its ugly design and the Al Ycoub is well plain ugly and its not an original design, the index looks like a fat thing idk even know what it looks like its ugly, the marina 101 and the princess tower are 2 square-ish, the color on the infinity tower is 2 dull and gray for dubai
+ the 4 seasons hotel looks like 2 knifes stickin out of something of 2 giant dildos with a pointy top

but the rest are ok i like the ocean hights and ocean heights 2 most

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 9:28 PM

I really like the look of this. These four towers together will be much better than one supertall there.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 2:28 AM

Trump International Hotel & Tower ???

Does anyone know wich is The Skyscraper building in Dubai??
Is it the Trump International Hotel & Tower ???

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 9:27 PM
ET: Quake Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSSZZ View Post
Does anyone know wich is The Skyscraper building in Dubai??
Is it the Trump International Hotel & Tower ???
no i dont think so, trump is building the beatle thing, lol

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 12:47 PM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 10:33 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

400m, 66-storey tower for DIFC (a cheater but the extra height is there for a reason other than ego boosting).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 9:39 PM

Dubai Building Boom

Wow, there's a big boom in skyscraper construction in Dubai, and I'm intrigued with the Dubai Tower, which will end up being a 200+ story residential tower.

I understand the tower is not steel-framed, but reenforced concrete, am I correct? I didn't know something that tall could be built without a steel frame.

Sounds like Dubai has come a long way in a few years since the days of strolling through the desert on camels! .. which reminds me, will there be a parking garage for camels?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 8:56 PM

That's impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
400m, 66-storey tower for DIFC (a cheater but the extra height is there for a reason other than ego boosting).

Wow, I wish that developers in the US would take a lesson from those in Dubai, if not for height, for striking beauty of the buildings. Obviously, a 2,500ft tower wouldn't make sense here in San Francisco for seismic reasons. However, these bold type of buildings would be what I would crave.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 12:16 PM

I am somewhat growing jealous of Dubai...lol

Even though aesthetics isn't important... they seem to have taken all the best designs... heh

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Marina 101. Lol, look at all the babes
Guess they needed to compensate for the not so amazing tower.

Hmmm... I see more than just a slight resemblance to an iconic building here in Austin.TX

Any connection to Duda Paine architects?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:07 AM

Let's face it, we - The United States are helping those Aye-Rabs build up their wealth and their skylines - We're paying higher gas prices, and they're building taller skyscrapers. Think about that the next time you fill up your gas tank and let's wonder about how much of the $3.00+ per gallon we're paying right now is going to those extravigant projects. These people don't want to live a comfortable and wealthy life, they want to live in excess by squeezing as much money out of the European Union and the United States. If they charged $30.00 a barrel for oil, they'd still be able to create the economic wealth for themselves, but unfortunately, they, like the rest of the OPEC nations, are getting greedy. I'd love to see the day when we are totally reliant on our own oil from the northern end of Alaska, which scientists say we have enough reserves to last us for about 40 to 60 years. All we need is politicians in Washington to have the guts to say we don't need your oil anymore and bring that kind of wealth here to the United States.

Without oil these people would still be living in tents and riding camels.

Last edited by MagnumMike; May 1, 2007 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:54 AM

Mr Magnum..

The UAE only gets 3% of its revenue from oil. The leaders of that magnificent region had the brains to plan long term, and branched out into other areas, knowing that the oil will run out one day.

Snearing at the 'aye-rabs' is your choice, but which economy is stronger? Which country, the USA or the UAE has the most debt ? Which of the two is developing strongly and with great vision?

---
I salute the UAE for its continued forward thinking and wise planning, turning a barren coastline into what will soon be one of the worlds most amazing cities.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:59 AM
HERO

Malec: what is that extra hight for? and what are those designs on the side? any porpuse or are they just there to make it ugly? ( sorry, but thats my opinion)

Last edited by Plompy Lfeata; May 1, 2007 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:05 AM
HERO

like the one at the top of the page though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations