Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 2:08 AM

Great kickstarter project about Canadian designs:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 3:14 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You mean within post #194? That's perfectly normal; the example is good translation vs translation that leaves to be desired (of the same original).

If the question is more like "how come it's 'bienvenue à' when it's a city name, and 'bienvenue dans' when it's a different concept?", well, that's mostly how it is.

Would most Anglos be readily able to explain the difference between "I'm in Toronto" versus "I'm at Toronto" versus "I'm to Toronto" (and "I go in Toronto" vs "I go at Toronto" vs "I go to Toronto") beyond just saying "incorrect preposition" (which IMO sums it up) ...?
Most anglos might not be able to explain the grammar problem with Welcome at Montréal but they'd know it sounds off.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Are you asking what the difference is between "Welcome at Montreal" and "Welcome to Montreal" ?
I was asking what I intended to be a sincere question in that you wrote this "Bienvenue à Montréal" for both Welcome to, and welcome at. There is no difference in the French sentence you applied to two different English sentences.

I'll willingly accept that it is I who is missing something here in so far as my recollection of French is concerned. Also true with regards to the Pennsylvania Dutch I learned as a kid.

Again, I'm asking sincerely, not to be a dick or anything.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 4:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmira Guy View Post
I was asking what I intended to be a sincere question in that you wrote this "Bienvenue à Montréal" for both Welcome to, and welcome at. There is no difference in the French sentence you applied to two different English sentences.

I'll willingly accept that it is I who is missing something here in so far as my recollection of French is concerned. Also true with regards to the Pennsylvania Dutch I learned as a kid.

Again, I'm asking sincerely, not to be a dick or anything.
It wasn't about the French, it was about the English.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 4:10 AM
I am a typical

These were installed a few years ago. The city limits extend quite a ways from the built up city itself (like Ottawa does), so you'll see the sign that says "welcome to Thunder Bay" and by the time you actually get to Thunder Bay you'll probably have forgotten that you saw a sign welcoming you here.

They're actually one of the better things the city has designed, since the logo is pretty crappy.

The northern lights one is pretty cool at night.

These were installed at three of the five major entrances to the city (Highway 61, Highway 11/17 eastbound, and Highway 11/17 westbound), the other two (Highway 102 and Oliver Road) were supposed to be installed a couple years ago but I think they forgot?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 4:17 AM
I am a typical

A couple local logos:

The library:

The airport, ~1994 to ~2014:

~2014 to 2016:

2016 to present:

I find the new one looks very British.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 3:25 PM

Thunder Bay did a great job on those entrance signs.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 3:43 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It wasn't about the French, it was about the English.
Cool, I as as about confused as Elmora Guy but I am from Calgary, drive a rusty 4x4 truck and have been known to barbeque a piece of beef once in a while.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 4:20 PM

Ottawa's signs have displayed 900,000 for 10 years.

Big cities need to add digital counters to their "Welcome" signs.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 4:46 PM
Look at me!

Bah nobody cares anyway. My girlfriend spent most of her life living and working in Ottawa and was convinced the population was "like 50,000". When I laughed in her face she said "ok, maybe 30,000, sorry!"

Her Ott friends give an estimate of anywhere 100,000 to 3 million.

So add a digital counter all you want, people will still be looking down at the tablets as their car zooms past the sign.

Last summer a friend of mine from Vancouver said she enjoyed coming to Montreal because "it's not a big city like Vancouver". When I laughed in her face she looked at me like I just landed from Andromeda.

Nobody. Cares.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 5:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The local radio station HITS FM has, by far, our most internationally famous logo.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 5:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
A couple local logos:

2016 to present:

I find the new one looks very British.
It's better than ours.

Praise da lawd!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Cool, I as as about confused as Elmora Guy but I am from Calgary, drive a rusty 4x4 truck and have been known to barbeque a piece of beef once in a while.
Same here, except I'm not from Calgary, that my fullsize 4x4 GM pickup isn't rusty, and that my mastery of French is perfect.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The local radio station HITS FM has, by far, our most internationally famous logo.

Nice!

Within this realm I always get a chuckle out of local carpet cleaning company, "Ball Deep" Steam Extraction.

I wonder if they know? I mean Ball Deep really does convey the right message.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Bah nobody cares anyway. My girlfriend spent most of her life living and working in Ottawa and was convinced the population was "like 50,000". When I laughed in her face she said "ok, maybe 30,000, sorry!"

Her Ott friends give an estimate of anywhere 100,000 to 3 million.

So add a digital counter all you want, people will still be looking down at the tablets as their car zooms past the sign.

Last summer a friend of mine from Vancouver said she enjoyed coming to Montreal because "it's not a big city like Vancouver". When I laughed in her face she looked at me like I just landed from Andromeda.

Nobody. Cares.
Speaking of people getting populations incorrect, many people I know here in Calgary keep believing that (Metro) Vancouver is more populated than the Montreal area. Maybe too attached to Western superiority??

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 8:32 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by holhm22 View Post
Speaking of people getting populations incorrect, many people I know here in Calgary keep believing that (Metro) Vancouver is more populated than the Montreal area. Maybe too attached to Western superiority??
Or just ignorance of Canada's demographic situation lol

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 8:56 PM
Look at me!

Anybody reading / consuming ROC media could be excused for believing that Montreal is Canada's 4th biggest / important city. Certainly, when I was living in BC and Alberta (2003-2012), many people thought I came from the backcountry or something. Not all of course.

In general, I find Canadians to be very aloof concerning details about Canadian facts. I don't particularly care, but it has put me in a couple awkward situations with a couple ROC people. Like, nothing bores me more than having to defend the claim that Montreal is the second most-populated city of the country with someone from Kamloops whilst trying to enjoy myself in a hostel in Colombia.

It's not limited to idiots either, I was put into the embarrassing position of having to convince a PhD student from Toronto in urban planning last year that Montreal was a city of 4 million. She didn't believe me until she looked it up herself on the internet after a surprisingly acrimonious debate that would make the most hard-core SSP troll raise an eyebrow. Its like I said: people don't know, and people don't care. And people don't care that they don't know. All those in the world that do care, are reading this thread right now.

Of course, the reverse is true for many Quebecers (especially those who live in small towns), many of who have silly and antiquated notions about the ROC.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 11:35 PM

"Anglo Montreal" (if that's still allowed to be a thing) would still be one of MOC's ten largest cities, if only just, no?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 11:40 PM
Look at me!

At approx 700,000 it would probably toss Hamilton out of 9th spot.

Poor Hamilton, just can't catch a break.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:36 AM
I am a typical

I've had quite a few people ask me if Ottawa is bigger than Thunder Bay. I'm honestly surprised at how ignorant people are of the size of our capital city.

I also know people who think Thunder Bay is bigger than Winnipeg, or that Brandon and Thunder Bay are the same size, or that North Bay is bigger than us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada