HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 9:18 PM

Anyone Know ...

Anyone know what Dawson Wallace Construction Company is doing in the Northwest corner of Garden City Shopping Centre?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:57 PM

Wonder if it might be the east side Mario's which previously had a sign on the site.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
Anyone know what Dawson Wallace Construction Company is doing in the Northwest corner of Garden City Shopping Centre?
I've heard 5 Guys, but that was on a FB community group so not sure how vetted the source was.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I've heard 5 Guys, but that was on a FB community group so not sure how vetted the source was.
Is Five Guys still a big deal? Every one I drive by now is usually devoid of customers!

Too much competition with 3-4 other chain burger joints, plus the fast food ones, plus the competition from the new fad chicken sandwiches offered by everyone!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 6:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Every time I go by the one on Regent or the one on south Pembina at lunch or dinner they seem pretty busy.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Is Five Guys still a big deal? Every one I drive by now is usually devoid of customers!

Too much competition with 3-4 other chain burger joints, plus the fast food ones, plus the competition from the new fad chicken sandwiches offered by everyone!
Been years since we went to Five Guys. Just weren't impressed the last time, plus there's much better burger options available locally (Lorette).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 9:35 PM

Fat Burger is better but a little more $.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cona View Post
Fat burger is so good and worth the price. The quality is great and portions are huge.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 3:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Fat burger is so good and worth the price. The quality is great and portions are huge.
Will give it a try. So Fat Burger, Nu Burger, Wayback Burger, Five Guys all with premium pricing and not as good as DairyWhip, VJ’s, or SuperBoys!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 2:19 PM

^ Exactly. We live in a city blessed with so many scrumptious fat boy offerings... VJ's is so good it deserves Michelin stars.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 3:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Exactly. We live in a city blessed with so many scrumptious fat boy offerings... VJ's is so good it deserves Michelin stars.
Man, I'm craving one of those gut bombs right now!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cona View Post
Last time we ate at Fatburger we vowed not to go back. Service and food were terrible.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Last time we ate at Fatburger we vowed not to go back. Service and food were terrible.
Which one were you at, the Regent store or the one by Ikea?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Which one were you at, the Regent store or the one by Ikea?
Ikea. This was a few years ago mind you. We went soon after they opened and loved it, other than the limited seating. Regent any better?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 1:19 AM

Talking VJ's AKA Juniors in the 70's

My husband introduced me to Juniors in 1970. I had a Fat Boy. It was awesome and I wore it on my clothing on the way home. Over the years I have learned to eat them without spilling the contents, except the last time I was there about three weeks ago. Good thing I was wearing a black jacket. Now I can blame my clumsiness on arthritis.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
My husband introduced me to Juniors in 1970. I had a Fat Boy. It was awesome and I wore it on my clothing on the way home. Over the years I have learned to eat them without spilling the contents, except the last time I was there about three weeks ago. Good thing I was wearing a black jacket. Now I can blame my clumsiness on arthritis.
Haha, eating them without making a mess is definitely an art. The burger must be held over the wrapper at all times!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:30 PM

Winnipeg Free Press is reporting that Banana Republic is closing at Polo Park. Because the article is behind a paywall I was unable to read it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 7:35 PM

It might be just me but I went to the KP mall today and I don’t think I’ve ever seen thriving like it is rn. Vacant storefronts are nonexistent, it’s full of people, and the stores even seem to be nicer and more modern. It’s great to see the closing of Sears and replacing it with a grocer was a blessing in disguise (if only the Save On Foods had an entrance to KP but oh well). It seems like the residential developments on Peguis and Devonshire did act as a catalyst for a revival and imo is challenging St. Vital as the third best mall in the city.

However, the food court is still a shithole to put it nicely. They needed to renovate that damn food court 15 years ago. I mean there isn’t even plug outlets to use when eating to charge your phone. Once the food court is renovated then the sky’s the limit.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It might be just me but I went to the KP mall today and I don’t think I’ve ever seen thriving like it is rn. Vacant storefronts are nonexistent, it’s full of people, and the stores even seem to be nicer and more modern. It’s great to see the closing of Sears and replacing it with a grocer was a blessing in disguise (if only the Save On Foods had an entrance to KP but oh well). It seems like the residential developments on Peguis and Devonshire did act as a catalyst for a revival and imo is challenging St. Vital as the third best mall in the city.

However, the food court is still a shithole to put it nicely. They needed to renovate that damn food court 15 years ago. I mean there isn’t even plug outlets to use when eating to charge your phone. Once the food court is renovated then the sky’s the limit.
KP is building a brand new food hall next to where the new Cineplex theatre is going. That’s the reason why they haven’t updated the space. Once it opens, the old theatre is being torn down and I’d imagine the space where the current food court is, will be repurposed into store fronts.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
KP is building a brand new food hall next to where the new Cineplex theatre is going. That’s the reason why they haven’t updated the space. Once it opens, the old theatre is being torn down and I’d imagine the space where the current food court is, will be repurposed into store fronts.
Here is a link to the plans of the KP Expansion

http://johndobbin.blogspot.com/2019/...to-expand.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan