HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 1:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamOfpumpkin View Post
I feel as though St. Bernard may be delayed, maybe they are waiting on the material cost to go down. But they should have at least construction fencing by now
I'm not going to panic for now, but if there is no construction fencing up or stakes in the ground by the first of May, then I will start to worry.

This is a significant project, and Groupe Frederic is a bit of an unknown. There isn't much online about this company. If they are pushing the envelope with this project, then financing could be tight, and could be affected by cost inflation.

I hope not. I love this project.......

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm not going to panic for now, but if there is no construction fencing up or stakes in the ground by the first of May, then I will start to worry.

This is a significant project, and Groupe Frederic is a bit of an unknown. There isn't much online about this company. If they are pushing the envelope with this project, then financing could be tight, and could be affected by cost inflation.

I've had a gut feeling about this project for some time now, and not a positive feeling. If built, it would be a major shot in the arm for downtown so I really hope it proceeds as it was presented last year.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:38 PM

Quote:

Groupe Frederic sold the land in February to a numbered company that lists Trevor Ritchie as its director. One of his companies was also behind the building on Weldon with townhouses on the ground floor.

What this means for the site plans is unclear. Last month city council approved changing over the development incentive from Groupe Frederic to the company that now owns the land.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very Interesting. I'm going to move this discussion to the St. Bernard Square thread

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

April 27th meeting of the Moncton PAC:

https://www.moncton.ca/planning-advisory-committee

Only two items on the agenda (so far), neither of which are of any consequence. This is the perpetuation of a pattern so far this year. We are now 1/3rd of the way through 2022, and very little of any consequence (aside from the new west end anglophone school) has been presented.

This on top of the news that St. Bernard Square is in very serious jeopardy - Should we be concerned???

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:43 AM

When they recently announced the first quarter building permit numbers, Kevin Silliker Director of Economic Development said that there are many projects in the pipeline for 2022 that will be tied to large-scale permits. So hopefully we'll hear some news very soon about these projects.

I have to say that I'm really disappointed about St. Bernard's Square though. What a boost to the east end of downtown it would have been. Let's hope the new developers come up with something similar in scale. I wonder if it would make sense for them to proceed with the Frederic Properties plan?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:20 AM

Quote:

Only two items on the agenda (so far), neither of which are of any consequence. This is the perpetuation of a pattern so far this year. We are now 1/3rd of the way through 2022, and very little of any consequence (aside from the new west end anglophone school) has been presented.

This on top of the news that St. Bernard Square is in very serious jeopardy - Should we be concerned???
I wouldn’t hit the alarm bell just yet. Considering all three cities have had an underwhelming spring season of proposals with a hot housing market my guess is this is a result of both a huge pipeline of upcoming and currently existing projects and shortage of labour. In a province the size of 800,000 people you can only do so much until you quite literally run out of workers.

As far as Moncton goes a diversification of developers would likely help. It seems as though there are a couple high profile developers in the metro Moncton area who have practically dominated the landscape and they have their hands tied right now projects on the go.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agenda for the May 25th meeting of Moncton PAC. Another non impressive agenda. The only item of note is phase two of the Birch Meadows apartment complex on Highlandview Drive.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Agenda for the May 25th meeting of Moncton PAC. Another non impressive agenda. The only item of note is phase two of the Birch Meadows apartment complex on Highlandview Drive.

My gut says some bigger things are coming

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 1:34 PM

Quote:

You think you guys have it bad? Other than Fundy Quay's first building and the unfunded, approved courthouse to theater conversion, SJ has been a ghost town. PAC has been entirely small ball rezoning/variance barring a 12 room supporting housing project on Brunswick and a small apartment subdivision on Loch Lomond. Fredericton is still humming along though.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:08 PM
Mud

The disappointing bit for me isn't so much the number of projects on the go so much as their location. Fair number of buildings in different stages right now but only a few are downtown where Moncton sorely needs them.

Let's hope it's mostly a tight labour/material market holding things up.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:26 PM

Could it also be that most projects right now don't need rezonings or variances?

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Could it also be that most projects right now don't need rezonings or variances?
Construction is percolating along at a brisk pace in the city, but, for the most part, they seem to be dealing with a backlog of previously approved projects. There are still a number of approved projects that have not yet commenced.

I'm not really worried. It's just disappointing in the sense that new projects coming to light always generate the most interest.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:40 PM

Sooner or later the Ashford lands behind Assomption Place will get developed. It will happen in stages over time, but will transform the downtown. You'd have to think that by now, the planning for this is well advanced. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 5:18 PM

They can name the development the ash lands.. in remembrance of all the homeless brush fires that once ravished the nearby lands.

Hoping this area kicks off soon. looking forward to Downtown coming alive again, with the return of some office workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Sooner or later the Ashford lands behind Assomption Place will get developed. It will happen in stages over time, but will transform the downtown. You'd have to think that by now, the planning for this is well advanced. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 1:30 AM

https://youtu.be/Gm-KrSqy1EM

I thought this video on the urban growth boundary was very interesting and was especially applicable to greater Moncton. They video states that in Portland Oregon, they require enough land inside the boundary for 20 years of growth, and that the city can choose to expand the boundary once every 6 years. If they choose not to, they may choose to rezone some areas to require more density if that land is every redeveloped.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:38 PM

I think that type of system needs a strong rural vs urban divide in order to work. The city would have to be motivated to provide shared services (eg transit) to it's entire area, as well as be aware of the costs that sprawl puts on those services. This might be a bit of a tall order for cities in NB at the moment.

A boundary might help get them to that point but like he said it would need a lot of other policies to ease the pain in the interim.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 1:34 PM

The other factor is you would need some sort of agreement with Riverview and Dieppe to really make it work for Moncton; otherwise Moncton could be constrained but you'll see Dieppe looping around to grab easier land that Moncton can't take yet.

This sort of planning idea might work better for Fredericton because other than Oromocto, Freddy doesn't really have anyone major on its boundaries. Saint John would have similar problems (if not worse problems) then Moncton, consider SJ already has a problem with its outer communities outgrowing the core city while not paying for the city core services they use.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 8:01 PM

In the example given in the video, the state essentially set everything up, all the city’s had to do was follow the states lead. The province of NB could easily do this, but they went a different route and decided to force amalgamation on the whole province.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 12:23 PM

I know this is off topic, but I could not figure out where to place it. The Moncton Flyers under 18 Hockey team won their semi-final game in the Cdn Midget under 18 championships. They play for the Cdn Championship on TSN 3/4 at 10:30 OR 11 pm tonight. I watched them as a kid, I really hope they win.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces