HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 10:58 PM

On Bank street, there's still a sign showing the way to the (now gone) Bus Terminal.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I find the look of the signs has gotten a lot better in recent years, but there are still a lot of old crap signs out there.

The biggest problem with MTO remains the choice of information they put on the signs.

For example, there is no destination city ("control city" for road geeks) westbound out of Ottawa on the 417.

All it says is "416 to 401". No Toronto. Or even Kingston.

Now if you miss that exit and continue on the 417W you actually do end up seeing a Toronto exit - for the two lane Highway 7 through podunk east-central Ontario.

(The 417 eastbound does use Montreal as a destination city though. Guess we should be happy they didn't use Hawkesbury or Vankleek Hill).
There is definitely issues with MTO signage. But the 416 simply goes to the 401. It would be weird if it said Toronto. What happens if you go east once you get to the 401? Or you go west, only to Brockville? As much as they would like to believe, all roads don't lead to Toronto.

I do find it strange that Highway 7 reads West/Toronto on the highway signs. Considering Highway 7 doesn't go to Toronto. It passes to the north and never enters the city of Toronto. It is an MTO error that has been allowed to persist throughout the years.

I understand the 417 eastbound does use Montreal as a destination because that is where it leads and enters Montreal as the same route, as the 40.

Overall MTO could do a much better job with signage. At least they have finally installed some variable-message signs in this part of the province, 25 years after first installing them in other parts of the Province.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feckless View Post
Lived here 45 years
Queensway between Kanata and St. Laurent, 417 everywhere else is how I refer to it.
I've never referred to a highway as a freeway, afaik those are American to differentiate from their toll roads? Not a term I'd use ever in Canada.
I mean the 401 is officially named the Macdonald–Cartier Freeway.

Highway to describe all fast moving roads always sounded a bit hick to me. What is a 2 lane road? A highway. What is a 4 lane road? A highway. What is a 4-lane divided road? A highway. What is a 10 lane divided road? A highway. Seems strange.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 10:29 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I agree with @GeoNerd. As for Highway 7 pointing to Toronto… Well, if enough of you end your trips at, say, Carleton Place, Perth, Madoc (JCT 62), Marmora and Lake (JCT Old 14) or even Peterborough, maybe the signs will change.
Otherwise, when 401 gets really congested even east of Cobourg, a lot of us do use 407 -> 115 -> 7 to reach Ottawa. I actually use that route nowadays if I’m visiting my friend in Kanata.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

If "freeway" sounds too American (which it kinda does to me), there is also "expressway".

And yes to me "highway" evokes a two-lane undivided highway.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 10:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

An expressway is often a tolled highway, as is a turnpike.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 11:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
An expressway is often a tolled highway, as is a turnpike.
"Expressway" doesn't necessarily rhyme with "toll" for me, but my impression might be wrong.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"Expressway" doesn't necessarily rhyme with "toll" for me, but my impression might be wrong.
Me either. Expressway to me means a controlled access highway that is entirely within a city, but my main point of reference is the Conestoga Expressway in KW. I think there are a bunch of those in Ontario - EC Row in Windsor, the Hanlan in Guelph, the Allen/Gardiner in Toronto. Not a toll amongst them.

Last edited by phil235; Apr 8, 2022 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feckless View Post
Lived here 45 years
Queensway between Kanata and St. Laurent, 417 everywhere else is how I refer to it.
I've never referred to a highway as a freeway, afaik those are American to differentiate from their toll roads? Not a term I'd use ever in Canada.
The original Queensway opened in 1960 between Hurdman's Bridge and Green's Creek beyond Montreal Road, so the Queensway name correctly applies east of St. Laurent Boulevard. The 417 running southeast from the 'split' was built many years later.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 7:31 PM

Growing up in BC's lower mainland, Hwy 1 was generally referred to as "The Freeway" (and I beleive it still is today). I suspect this was to more clearly distinguish it from Hwy 1A (aka Old Hwy 1).

As for the 417, I tend to refer to it as The Queensway between the Hwy 7 and Hwy 174 splits. It is the 417 beyond those splits. I moved here almost 30 years ago, but was largely influenced by my wife who grew up here in Ottawa. Queensway is also easier to say (2 syllables rather than 4, and it rolls off of the tongue more easily).

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 2:55 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

National Capital Commission announces summer road closures

Thomas Desormeaux, Ottawa Citizen
May 04, 2022 • 37 minutes ago • 1 minute read

The National Capital Commission (NCC) announced multiple spring and summer road closures Wednesday, including closures to both lanes of the Queen Elizabeth Driveway to motor vehicles starting later this month.

Between Fifth Avenue and Somerset Street, the Queen Elizabeth Driveway will be open only to active transport users such as walkers and cyclists on weekends from May 14 to June 25, and for the entirety of July and August through to Labour Day on September 5, before returning to weekend closures until October’s Thanksgiving weekend.

The street closures announced Wednesday include “Weekend Bikeday” schedules on two other large parkways.

Beginning the weekend of May 14 and continuing until October 10, both lanes of the Sir George-Étienne Cartier Parkway between the Aviation Parkway and St. Joseph Boulevard in Orléans will be closed on weekend days from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., as will both westbound lanes of the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway from Vimy Place to Carling Avenue.

Meanwhile, for Gatineau Park, there will be a new, free shuttle service that will transport people to the park’s visitor’s centre in Chelsea with several stops on the way. The shuttle is meant to make the park area more accessible and has been designed to be more accommodating to people with mobility difficulties. Spots for camping at Gatineau Park are available starting May 13.

Among other summer offerings in Ottawa, the NCC noted the historical 20th century Mackenzie King Estate is being reopened after being closed for two years during the COVID-19 pandemic, beginning May 21. Parking passes can be purchased at the NCC’s website.

NCC beaches in Gatineau Park and Leamy Lake Park will open June 17. Lifeguards will be on duty from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at O’Brien, Blanchet, Breton, Parent, Smith, La Pêche and Leamy Lake Park beaches. Some beaches will have change rooms, washrooms and other amenities available.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-road-closures

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 11:38 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa's $702 million construction season headlined by Strandherd widening project

May 16, 2022 • 54 minutes ago • 2 minute read

City officials marked the start of Ottawa’s construction season with an event Monday in Barrhaven, with City Hall preparing to spend $702 million on municipal infrastructure improvements over the coming months, including $112 million to widen bustling Strandherd Drive.

Collectively, there are 600 ongoing construction projects in Ottawa, with $118 million earmarked to reconstruct integrated road, water and sewer systems. Council will also spend $47 million on buildings and parks, and $45 million on structures and bridges.

The number of active municipal infrastructure projects picks up in Ottawa during the warmer months as the harsh winter weather makes it difficult and costly to perform this work.

Transportation committee chair Coun. Tim Tierney, who joined staff and Barrhaven Coun. Jan Harder for Monday’s media event, thanked residents for their “continued patience and support” during the construction season, which comes with numerous road and lane closures and detours.

Tierney and Harder spoke from the site of the Strandherd Drive widening project, which the city says will reduce congestion along the busy road and also help increase cyclist and pedestrian access. It’s expected to be completed sometime earlier than its original fall 2023 target date.

“The Strandherd Drive widening is a major and complex infrastructure project,” said Harder. “We are extremely pleased that construction is currently ahead of schedule.

Strandherd Drive is a major route in fast-growing Barrhaven. The expansive neighbourhood’s population is expected to grow by 37 per cent by 2031, compared to 19 per cent for Ottawa itself, according to the Barrhaven Business Improvement Association.

Tammy Rose, Ottawa’s general manager of infrastructure and water management, acknowledged in an interview that the “busy construction season” would have traffic impacts.

“We do know that construction can be disruptive, and it is a short-term pain for a longer-term gain.”

The TomTom Traffic Index ranks Ottawa as having the eighth-worst traffic of any city in Canada. The city’s drivers lose a reported 41 hours of their time to traffic a year.

Rose said that construction projects this year are meant to improve and upgrade Ottawa’s infrastructure so that it can meet the city’s future needs and boost economic development.

“It’s not just about the infrastructure, it’s also about economic development opportunities,” said Rose. “Any improvements to those local communities also help with economic growth. Having good infrastructure, you need that to promote growth.”

However, multiple construction industry trade unions have been on strike over the past couple of weeks, and Rose said that the city is monitoring the situation and how it will affect public projects.

“At this point, we’ve identified the Ādisōke Library as being impacted,” she said, referencing the new joint Ottawa Public Library and Library Archives Canada facility.

“Hopefully they reach a resolution sooner than later, but it does create a scheduling impact for the library project.”

The project was paused earlier this month due to strikes by the crane operators’ union.

Breakdown of Ottawa’s 2022 $702 million infrastructure improvement budget
  • $88 million for road rehabilitation, including resurfacing, geotechnical, guiderails, rural road upgrades and preservation treatments
  • $45 million for structures and bridges
  • $18 million for culverts
  • $47 million for buildings and parks
  • $11.5 million for sidewalks and pathways
  • $118 million for integrated road, water and sewer reconstruction projects
Source: City of Ottawa

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...dening-project

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Ottawa's $702 million construction season headlined by Strandherd widening project

May 16, 2022 • 54 minutes ago • 2 minute read

City officials marked the start of Ottawa’s construction season with an event Monday in Barrhaven, with City Hall preparing to spend $702 million on municipal infrastructure improvements over the coming months, including $112 million to widen bustling Strandherd Drive.

Collectively, there are 600 ongoing construction projects in Ottawa, with $118 million earmarked to reconstruct integrated road, water and sewer systems. Council will also spend $47 million on buildings and parks, and $45 million on structures and bridges.

The number of active municipal infrastructure projects picks up in Ottawa during the warmer months as the harsh winter weather makes it difficult and costly to perform this work.

Transportation committee chair Coun. Tim Tierney, who joined staff and Barrhaven Coun. Jan Harder for Monday’s media event, thanked residents for their “continued patience and support” during the construction season, which comes with numerous road and lane closures and detours.

Tierney and Harder spoke from the site of the Strandherd Drive widening project, which the city says will reduce congestion along the busy road and also help increase cyclist and pedestrian access. It’s expected to be completed sometime earlier than its original fall 2023 target date.

“The Strandherd Drive widening is a major and complex infrastructure project,” said Harder. “We are extremely pleased that construction is currently ahead of schedule.

Strandherd Drive is a major route in fast-growing Barrhaven. The expansive neighbourhood’s population is expected to grow by 37 per cent by 2031, compared to 19 per cent for Ottawa itself, according to the Barrhaven Business Improvement Association.

Tammy Rose, Ottawa’s general manager of infrastructure and water management, acknowledged in an interview that the “busy construction season” would have traffic impacts.

“We do know that construction can be disruptive, and it is a short-term pain for a longer-term gain.”

The TomTom Traffic Index ranks Ottawa as having the eighth-worst traffic of any city in Canada. The city’s drivers lose a reported 41 hours of their time to traffic a year.

Rose said that construction projects this year are meant to improve and upgrade Ottawa’s infrastructure so that it can meet the city’s future needs and boost economic development.

“It’s not just about the infrastructure, it’s also about economic development opportunities,” said Rose. “Any improvements to those local communities also help with economic growth. Having good infrastructure, you need that to promote growth.”

However, multiple construction industry trade unions have been on strike over the past couple of weeks, and Rose said that the city is monitoring the situation and how it will affect public projects.

“At this point, we’ve identified the Ādisōke Library as being impacted,” she said, referencing the new joint Ottawa Public Library and Library Archives Canada facility.

“Hopefully they reach a resolution sooner than later, but it does create a scheduling impact for the library project.”

The project was paused earlier this month due to strikes by the crane operators’ union.

Breakdown of Ottawa’s 2022 $702 million infrastructure improvement budget
  • $88 million for road rehabilitation, including resurfacing, geotechnical, guiderails, rural road upgrades and preservation treatments
  • $45 million for structures and bridges
  • $18 million for culverts
  • $47 million for buildings and parks
  • $11.5 million for sidewalks and pathways
  • $118 million for integrated road, water and sewer reconstruction projects
Source: City of Ottawa

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...dening-project
I get why Suburban councilors play up the road widening portion, but christ that project includes so much more then that, https://cityofottawa.activehosted.co...&twitter=share

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:12 PM

From Councillor Fleury:

Quote:
This monday, I joined residents interested in creating pathways and connection in Lowertown including Porter Island bridge and future rehab of st patrick bridge pathways along rideau river
https://twitter.com/MathieuFleury/st...01286178717696
Porter Island Bridge:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4363...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 5:51 PM

Progress on Rochester overpass yesterday:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 9:28 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

[Press Replay]

Quote:
Carling and Bronson avenues make CAA's spring list of worst Ontario roads

Megan Gillis, Ottawa Citizen
Jun 07, 2022 • 1 hour ago • 1 minute read

Two busy Ottawa arteries make the list of Ontario’s ten worst roads in the Canadian Automobile Association’s annual survey.
Article content

Carling Avenue ranks fifth and Bronson Avenue ninth.

CAA asked road users to weigh in on congestion, potholes, poor signage, ill-timed traffic lights or hazards to people walking and biking in the annual spring campaign running since 2003.

The advocacy group says it will deliver its 2022 Worst Roads list to municipal and provincial officials aiming to influence future funding and planning decisions.

Carling Avenue has always been in province’s Top 10, CAA said when the survey launched in March. Last year, Carling Avenue ranked the No. 2 Worst Road in Ontario and Hunt Club Road and Innes Road both made it to the Top 10.

Ontario’s Top 10 Worst Roads

1. Barton Street East, Hamilton
2. Eglinton Avenue West, Toronto
3. Barker Street, Prince Edward County
4. County Road 49, Prince Edward County
5. Carling Avenue, Ottawa
6. Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto
7. Lake Shore Boulevard East, Toronto
8. Finch Avenue West, Toronto
9. Bronson Avenue, Ottawa
10. Queen Street, Kingston

Worst Roads in Ottawa

1. Carling Avenue
2. Bronson Avenue
3. Hunt Club Road
4. Baseline Road
5. Innes Road

Worst Roads in Eastern Ontario

1. Barker Street, Prince Edward County
2. County Road 49, Prince Edward County
3. Queen Street, Kingston
4. Bridge Street West, Belleville
5. Landsdowne Street, Peterborough

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-ontario-roads

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 11:49 PM

Carling... worst Ontario roads... no surprise there.
And I find the new 417 westward exit to Kirkwood southward to be
more difficult and more dangerous than the original one.

Last edited by eltodesukane; Jun 9, 2022 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 1:07 PM

From PatrickTMcKay on Twitter. Richmond Road.

https://twitter.com/PatrickTMcKay/st...kar6BG6-V14PKw

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 4:41 PM

LOL, anybody drove on Milton road?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 8:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCitizen View Post
LOL, anybody drove on Milton road?
Milton Road in Navan? Yes, this past weekend, but the short stretch I was on was in decent shape. Is it bad at the south end?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation