HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Block 2 design?
Zeidler/David Chipperfield 3 5.08%
Diamond Schmitt, Bjarke Ingels, KWC, ERA 16 27.12%
Provencher Roy + Associés Architectes Inc. 16 27.12%
Watson MacEwen Teramura / Behnisch 8 13.56%
Wilkinson Eyre/ IDEA Inc. 7 11.86%
NEUF Architects/ Renzo Piano Building Workshop 2 3.39%
None of the above (reset the process) 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:29 PM

I'm actually happy to hear Chipperfield won. Based on all proposals on the table, I find it to be the best in terms of scale/massing, materials, quality of the spaces, etc.... I know it seems understated but I don't think we need buildings that compete for attention with parliament or IPS (whenever that happens) on this block.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:42 PM

I would have been happy with any proposal BUT that one...

It's so boxy, uninspiring and dated. It doesn't stand out on it's own. I thought we had to stay away from trying to replicate architecture from a different time? *cough* Chateau Laurier addition *cough*

Hard to stay positive when every decision made in this city seems to be the wrong one...

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:48 PM

Oh neato! They went with the simplest, cheapest looking, most boring design imaginable. Very safe. VERY Ottawa.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:59 PM

But it "promises complexity....that could represent the diversity of the country" (from the architects' presentation)

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 4:34 PM

Oh dear God no

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 4:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

More info:

Design concept selected for Block 2

On May 16, 2022, we announced the winner as well as the second- and third-place finalists of the architectural design competition for the city block across from Parliament Hill. See the design concepts and learn about the winner.

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/citepa...posed-eng.html

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:03 PM

Wow. 2nd and 3rd finalists were the other two most boring ones. Clear message sent to architects that Ottawa is an innovation free zone.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
I'm actually happy to hear Chipperfield won. Based on all proposals on the table, I find it to be the best in terms of scale/massing, materials, quality of the spaces, etc.... I know it seems understated but I don't think we need buildings that compete for attention with parliament or IPS (whenever that happens) on this block.
I agree, although I'd like to see the ground floor wall on the east corner building (facing Wellington) tweaked to either open it up or turn it into an artwork.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:10 PM

I wonder what the criterias were, and how this design came on top.

So much for improving the Wellingstreet streetscape. Take a look at the winning design's ground floor. Looks like a 1-story windowless facade, creating this barrier; anything but inviting.

Will probably end up dark, sketchy and smelling like p*ss on most days. Reminds me of the old days on Rideau (before the revamp) on the Bay side.

URGH I'm furious

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
Wow. 2nd and 3rd finalists were the other two most boring ones. Clear message sent to architects that Ottawa is an innovation free zone.
Or that all the proposals were inadequate and inappropriate for the location. Out of scale, didn't respect the character of the existing buildings around. The top 3 might seem boring, but they seem to be more proper in terms of scale.

I personally didn't like any of them.

Hopefully the Chipperfield team will refine their design to provide more street interaction. The ground floor seems so opaque and detached from the street with its solid wall.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:16 PM

It's just so incredibly...underwhelming... This isn't the 'once in 100 years' opportunity it should have been. It's just a hodge podge of mediocre buildings replacing half of the existing hodge podge of mediocre buildings. Just some simple boxy office buildings.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post

It's just so incredibly...underwhelming... This isn't the 'once in 100 years' opportunity it should have been. It's just a hodge podge of mediocre buildings replacing half of the existing hodge podge of mediocre buildings. Just some simple boxy office buildings.
I really dislike the pavers' offset in regards of the Centennial Flame, the center gate, and the Peace tower in that picture. Hopefully that was just bad photoshop error and not intentional.

The buildings on both side of the former US Embassy shouldn't look the same, and should have their own unique architectural identity. This would have made it a bit less boring.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:54 PM

The only 'architectural identity' I can see on this project is the fancy copper cladding. Aside from that they are just completely plain rectangular office blocks. It's literally 'lipstick on a pig'.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 9:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Winning 'Block 2' design features public square, preserves heritage buildings
Entire block across Wellington Street from Parliament Hill up for $430M redevelopment

CBC News
Posted: May 16, 2022 12:08 PM ET | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

The upcoming redesign of an entire block of buildings across Wellington Street from Parliament Hill would bring courtyards, atriums and a new public square to downtown Ottawa while preserving heritage buildings, Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) announced Monday.

"Block 2" is sandwiched between Wellington and Sparks streets and stretches from O'Connor Street to Metcalfe Street. The redesign includes office space for the Senate, House of Commons and Indigenous Peoples' Space.

A jury selected by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada met last month to review the six short-listed design concepts.

The winners are the partnership between Toronto's Zeidler Architecture Inc. and Britain's David Chipperfield Architects. EVOQ Architecture from Montreal, which worked on the West Block renovations, and Two Row Architect from Six Nations were brought in to help.

Their pitch "weaves together old and new" by repurposing existing heritage buildings, building a new net-zero structure and working in courtyards and that new "People's Square."

"Stewardship of the land and of resources is a concept embedded in Indigenous culture. It is also a tenet of good governance and the basis of our design," Zeidler wrote on its project page.

"We chose to retain each existing heritage building, avoiding the waste and carbon vandalism of demolition. Old structures are woven together with new net-zero structures to create a diverse, characterful, yet coherent whole."

The winning team said an atrium will connect the five buildings closest to O'Connor Street. It doesn't propose widespread changes to the south side of Sparks Street.

The statue of Terry Fox, who ran across Canada to raise money for cancer research, is to be moved to another prominent position.

"This work will transform a mix of functionally obsolete buildings into an innovative complex that will meet the needs of a 21st-century parliamentary democracy," wrote PSPC in the announcement.

The department said the next step is to sign a contract with the winners. The goal is to start construction in 18 to 24 months, or between late 2023 and the first half of 2024.

Public Services and Procurement Minister Filomena Tassi said the work will cost an estimated $430 million.

With files from The Canadian Press

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ment-1.6454774

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 10:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Block 2 design winner completes 'Parliament Square' with a nod to heritage
A final design should be complete by the fall and work should begin about 18 to 24 months after that. The project will take about two years to complete and is expected to cost about $430 million.

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
May 16, 2022 • 22 minutes ago • 3 minute read

The winning design for what’s been called the most prestigious property in Canada will have copper-clad windows as a subtle “tip of the hat” to the Parliament buildings it faces across Wellington Street.

A joint submission by Toronto-based Zeidler Architecture Inc. and David Chipperfield Architects of London, England, was announced Monday as the winner of an international competition for the remaking of Ottawa’s “Block 2.” Despite its plain sounding name, the block bounded by Metcalfe, Wellington, O’Connor and Sparks streets forms the fourth and final side of what’s come to be known as Parliament Square.

The winning design features a public square and soaring atrium and integrates with existing heritage buildings on the block, including the Indigenous Peoples Space housed in the former U.S. Embassy, directly across from Centre Block.

The buildings will house office space for the Senate, House of Commons and the Library of Parliament while including renovated retail space along the Sparks Street Mall.

“We can look forward to a block design that projects the image of Canada and its capital on the world stage,” Public Services and Procurement Canada Minister Filomena Tassi said in announcing the winner. “The new and renovated spaces will respect the heritage elements of the buildings, while providing modern, sustainable and accessible accommodations for Parliament.”

John Ralston Saul was the honorary chair of the selection committee.

“For 25 years I’ve been staring at this space out there, talking about it and the need to complete Parliament Square,” Ralston Saul said. “There’s a lot of us who love Ottawa and live in the capital and have been waiting for this to happen.”

With Wellington Street likely to be permanently closed to traffic because of security concerns following this winter’s convoy (“Sometimes negative events have a positive outcome,” Ralston Saul said), the Block 2 development will complete the square centred around the great lawn of Parliament with the 1860s-era East and West Blocks and the Centre Block from the 1920s.

“This new building will have to acknowledge the other three blocks,” Ralston Saul said. “But not through imitation or pastiche. What you will see is an elegant, simple acknowledgment with the copper window casings of the new building — a tip of the hat, if you like — with the copper roofs so identified by all Canadians with the existing Parliament buildings.

The boxy Zeidler/Chipperfield design lacks the funky angles of the losing bid by Diamond Schmitt Architects or the circular glass tower of the Provencher Roy + Associés Architectes submission. It was the design that best integrated with the surrounding buildings, said Anthony Housefather, MP for Mount Royal and one of the jurors on the selection committee.

“It was one of the designs that best kept the heritage nature of the block,” Housefather said. “We looked at a myriad of different factors, including how people will look at these buildings 100, 150 years from now and how they intertwined with the Indigenous spaces (as well as) the usability of the building inside and outside. There were vigorous deliberations but in the end, there was a consensus that this would meet the challenges that we were looking for for Block 2.”

A final design should be complete by the fall and work should begin about 18 to 24 months after that, Tassi said. The project will take about two years to complete and is expected to cost about $430 million.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...od-to-heritage

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 10:14 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa’s Terry Fox statue to move to make way for new parliamentary building

Marie Woolf, Ottawa, The Canadian Press
Published 6 hours ago | Updated 3 hours ago

The Terry Fox statue across from Parliament Hill will need to be moved to make way for a new building complex to house offices for MPs and senators.

The new central building, which is rectangular with a nod to neoclassical design, has distinctive copper window facades, a reference to the copper roofs on existing parliamentary buildings.

The parliamentary complex will encompass 11 buildings and will cost an estimated $430 million and will include 150 offices.

But construction will not start on Block 2 for 18 months to two years.

Announcing the winning design, Public Services and Procurement Minister Filomena Tassi, said the redevelopment will “transform this mix of aging buildings into modern, inclusive, sustainable, secure and accessible accommodations for the Parliament of Canada.

“I truly hope that all Canadians will be able to visit and experience the chosen design, for years to come.”

Two of the 11 buildings in Block 2, and an infill space between, will be developed into an Indigenous Peoples’ Space.

Its completion will turn the area facing the Hill into “Parliament Square.”

Toronto firm Zeidler Architecture and David Chipperfield Architects of Britain won the competition to develop the space. Their design team included both Indigenous and heritage consultants.

Richard Marks, a director of David Chipperfield Architects, said the design was similar to that of Portcullis House, a relatively new Parliamentary building in London, England, which also has a distinctive light-filled atrium.

Portcullis House, like the central Block 2 building, features offices overlooking the atrium and distinctive window frames, which are black rather than the green copper frames envisaged for Block 2.

Fox became a national hero after he ran across Canada to raise money for cancer research after his leg had to be amputated because of cancer.

Fox’s family will be consulted about an appropriate position for his statue, which will be in another prominent position in Canada’s capital.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...parliamentary/

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 10:24 PM

The corner building has a very odd street level. I wonder what the rationale to zero windows is. I can already picture the encampments of people seeking shelter under that overhang and its associated smells. That curved wall should be provide an interesting acoustic from concerts or protests at parliament hill.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post

The corner building has a very odd street level. I wonder what the rationale to zero windows is. I can already picture the encampments of people seeking shelter under that overhang and its associated smells. That curved wall should be provide an interesting acoustic from concerts or protests at parliament hill.
It feels to me like a heavy stone barrier, hard and curved to keep the citizens down and under the mighty MP's safe above. Extremely bizarre design choice.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:28 AM

Sigh

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post
The corner building has a very odd street level. I wonder what the rationale to zero windows is.
Perhaps related to this: "After a year-long competition, the winning bid to complete “Parliament square’s” fourth wall came out ahead, thanks, in part, to a design that works well with Hill security plans, according to one of the MPs who sat on the jury."

https://www.hilltimes.com/2022/05/16...-square/362045

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa