HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Man, I really wish Austin had more 24-hour coffee shops and eateries. I really dislike that everything closes before or around midnight, and if you're a night owl like me, you get stuck at home!
I feel like we're definitely underrepresented in terms of 24 hr restaurants, but I feel like we had a decent number of 24 hr coffee spots around before the pandemic.

Even without the 24 hr food, we still are blessed with tons of late night food trucks to help carry the load.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 10:28 PM

Some of my California friends visited me and were shocked at the amount of people who are still out after the bars close lol. People usually head back from around 130-145 AM where I'm from

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Austin is at that stage where we are almost a 24 hour city, but not quite there just yet. I'm a huge Dance music aficionado and noticing there are more after-hours events (some that last till 7 am) but there does need to be more 24 hour restaurants and coffee shops, and we need some of those in DT.

Considering it seems like we had quite a few options even back in the 2000s. Many a fun night out at the clubs, after-hours then breakfast and chatting at Katz's Deli or Kirbey Ln.. sometimes, watching the sun rise. We need more of those sorts of places in the central core.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; May 17, 2022 at 2:52 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:17 PM

i believe the shuttering of 24 hour businesses is a national and not local phenomenon

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:10 PM

Huh. The City Council has an agenda item for tomorrow's meeting that will "approve a resolution initiating an amendment to City Code Chapter 25-2 to allow properties within the Capitol Dominance Overlay District to participate in the Downtown Density Bonus Program.

Sponsors: Council Member Natasha Harper-Madison, Council Member Paige Ellis, Council Member Sabino 'Pio' Renteria, Council Member José 'Chito' Vela."

https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/do....cfm?id=383301

EDIT: Oh and Towers has a good writeup, too. https://austin.towers.net/its-time-t...inance-overlay

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 7:19 PM

Well, that would be helpful little ZC.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Austin is at that stage where we are almost a 24 hour city, but not quite there just yet. I'm a huge Dance music aficionado and noticing there are more after-hours events (some that last till 7 am) but there does need to be more 24 hour restaurants and coffee shops, and we need some of those in DT.

Considering it seems like we had quite a few options even back in the 2000s. Many a fun night out at the clubs, after-hours then breakfast and chatting at Katz's Deli or Kirbey Ln.. sometimes, watching the sun rise. We need more of those sorts of places in the central core.
Are the after hours for electronic music? I go to these events and they seem to happen every weekend now. There was one held last weekend at a laundromat.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Are the after hours for electronic music? I go to these events and they seem to happen every weekend now. There was one held last weekend at a laundromat.
Yes, I say Dance music because that is what we called it in the 90s. EDM Electronic Dance Music which is Dance/Electronica (the entire super-genre that covers all the genres and sub-genres of Electronic music.) The label of EDM became common in the early 2000s.

Yes there are more and more popping up. Pretty exciting.

Also if you haven't been to the Concourse Project yet, you gotta check it out.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 4:27 PM

Why isn't Austin in top 10 'best places to live' anymore? U.S. News and World Report has thoughts

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...st/9822074002/

Austin is no longer among the top 10 best places to live in the nation, according to an annual national ranking of cities by U.S. News and World Report.

If you're wondering whether rising home prices in the area have anything to do with it, the answer is yes.

In previous years, Austin consistently made its top 10 of best places to live. The Texas capital was ranked No. 1 from 2017 to 2019, and then No. 3 in 2020 before slipping to No. 5 in 2021.

This year, Austin fell behind such cities as Naples, Fla., Ann Arbor, Mich., and San Francisco.

“Much of the shakeup we see at the top of this year’s ranking is a result of changing preferences,” Devon Thorsby, real estate editor at U.S. News, said in a statement. “People moving across the country today are putting more emphasis on affordability and quality of life than on the job market, which in many ways takes a back seat as remote work options have become more standard.”

"Austin offers a lower value than similarly sized metro areas when comparing housing costs with median household income," the report states.

The average national housing cost in 2021 was $365,616. In Austin that same year, the average was $504,273.

In January, the median home sales price was $550,000 within the Austin city limits.

The average median monthly rent is $1,326, and the median salary in Austin is $57,830, according to the report.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 4:33 PM

A good way to beat Austin heat: Paramount reveals Summer Classic Film Series flicks

https://www.statesman.com/story/ente...ts/9733980002/

The Paramount Theatre on Wednesday announced the first slate of films for its annual Summer Classic Film Series.

Yes, they're starting with "Casablanca," which kicks things off on May 26. But there's a lot more in store for Austin cinema fans, including a ball and a deep-dive into the modern cult canon.

The 80th-anniversary screening of "Casablanca" is, as usual, joined by classics from decades ago; movies that have achieved iconic status in more recent years; and some special themed fun.

The first round of films in May and June includes:

A program of movies with scene-stealing supporting performances: "Goodfellas," "A Fish Called Wanda," "Paper Moon" and "Singin' in the Rain," which celebrates 70 years in 2022
Movies that feature thieves: "The Italian Job," "Rafifi," "Bottle Rocket," "How to Steal a Million," The Sting," "Bonnie and Clyde" and a 30th-anniversary screening of "Reservoir Dogs"
Some faves from the 1960s, '70s and '80s: French new wave films "Jules and Jim" and "Cleo 5 to 7"; James Bond flicks "Dr. No" and "The Spy Who Loved Me"; musical "Annie"; and camp classic "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

Hyperreal Film Club, a local organization known for pop-up screenings and dedicated to "cinema for the people," also will curate a lineup of modern classics, many off the beaten celluloid path: "Mad Max: Fury Road," "Showgirls," "Deep Cover," "Holy Motors," "Tampopo" and "They Live." Jenni Kaye, Hyperreal Film Club co-founder, said in a statement that those films will be paired with locally made shorts.

For Pride Month in June, the Paramount will screen the documentary "Paris is Burning" on June 10 as a kickoff to Majestic Ball Weekend. On June 11, the historic theater will host the Majestic Cabaret Ball, a ballroom event starring drag performer Diamond Dior Davenport, plus-sized cabaret troupe Fat Bottom Cabaret and the the Legendary Mother Natalie Lepore and the House of Lepore. Attendees can walk in multiple categories for a chance to win the title "Belle of the Ball."

Get tickets for the 48th annual series at austintheatre.org/film or by calling 512-474-1221.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:38 PM

The Best of the Best of Austin 2022

https://austin.towers.net/the-best-o...f-austin-2022/

Everyone over here at TOWERS.net was more than honored yesterday to receive the Austin Chronicle’s Best of Austin 2022 award for “Best Guide to Tomorrow’s Austin” — we thought our little articles on buildings were pretty good, but it’s nice to hear it from the city’s alternative weekly of record. With that honor in mind, we thought we’d share the love for just a minute by highlighting a handful of other awards from this year’s Best of Austin lineup that we thought were particularly deserved as downtown institutions. We’re biased, of course, but who isn’t?

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
The Best of the Best of Austin 2022

https://austin.towers.net/the-best-o...f-austin-2022/

Everyone over here at TOWERS.net was more than honored yesterday to receive the Austin Chronicle’s Best of Austin 2022 award for “Best Guide to Tomorrow’s Austin” — we thought our little articles on buildings were pretty good, but it’s nice to hear it from the city’s alternative weekly of record. With that honor in mind, we thought we’d share the love for just a minute by highlighting a handful of other awards from this year’s Best of Austin lineup that we thought were particularly deserved as downtown institutions. We’re biased, of course, but who isn’t?
I have always enjoyed the articles Jude, and currently James have written. Congrats to them for their award. Well deserved!!

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 12:36 AM

I'm sitting in our suite at Moody waiting on the Eagles concert and I have to say, this place is INCREDIBLE!! World class all the way. Free beer and snacks. Everyone else has to pay $13 for an Ultra.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 2:04 AM

I ran across this interesting New York Times opinion piece and thought some of you might interested since the topic of housing came up recently in this thread.

Fast forward to the 2 minute mark if you want to skip directly to the part where he talks about housing. Though he uses Palo Alto as his example, the situation reminds me so much of Austin.

Disclaimer: the video's premise is somewhat political. I know this is a "no politics" thread, but that hasn't been strictly adhered to in the recent past. And besides, not as if it's from Fox News, the piece is from the NYT.

Video Link

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 5:18 AM

This video is a big ol' mess.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 12:43 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

I’ve shared this video with quite a few friends before. It does a good job of making the NIMBY point in an audience that often has a blind spot.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

Many years ago, some friends of mine and I would go to Katz's Deli way in the night. Was always a lot of fun. We would also go there after UT basketball games, and would talk to coaches for the men's and women's teams, as they would routinely go there after the games. This was probably in the late 80s and early 90s.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Many years ago, some friends of mine and I would go to Katz's Deli way in the night. Was always a lot of fun. We would also go there after UT basketball games, and would talk to coaches for the men's and women's teams, as they would routinely go there after the games. This was probably in the late 80s and early 90s.
Katz's Never Kloses....until they did.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 4:36 PM

A guide to 7 top-rated Austin swimming holes

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...s-17088842.php

From remote Hill Country nature preserves to downtown pools, here's where to find the best swimming holes near Austin.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
When I was going to UT, there were many 24x7 options. And this was when the city was much. In west campus alone, there were at least 2 24 hr coffee shops on the drag (quackenbushes and at least one or two others that would frequently change), 2 24 arcades, we had Kerbey Lane and Magnolia Cafe, Katz’s and IHOPs, Jim’s locations, I wanna say GM steakhouse or Players was 24 hrs too at one time… not sure if I remember that right.

You could live a complete nocturnal lifestyle back then…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin