HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I am sure you all have a much better handle on it than I do but I am not convinced the city has really seen the benefits of the recent construction yet. Sometimes an area is less vibrant when there are a lot of construction sites; even though the construction can be exciting it is not usually good for retail businesses nearby while it's happening. It might be surprising how much more vibrant the area gets in a couple years when more buildings are complete, have had a while to fill with businesses, and there isn't a pandemic. Spring Garden Road in particular might feel quite different when it's essentially built out and the street improvements are done.
I disagree, downtown was doing very well before COVID-19, and even with COVID has been fairly vibrant.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I disagree, downtown was doing very well before COVID-19, and even with COVID has been fairly vibrant.
I don't mean that it is doing badly, I mean that it is currently impossible to know what the new ceiling will be with the added density during a good economic period.

On the retail front a lot of major businesses are suffering right now so they're not able to expand with new locations.

I could see Spring Garden in 2022 or 2023 attracting some big chain stores, maybe some that you see in flagship locations in bigger cities. There are a few of these stores already but there could be more. I think the transformation on Barrington could be pretty dramatic too since there are going to be so many more residential units nearby.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 12:26 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
I could see Spring Garden in 2022 or 2023 attracting some big chain stores, maybe some that you see in flagship locations in bigger cities. There are a few of these stores already but there could be more. I think the transformation on Barrington could be pretty dramatic too since there are going to be so many more residential units nearby.
It seems likely for SGR & Barrington. I often wonder if Duggers & Foreign Affair would go under if Holt Renfrew came to town.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 1:27 PM

Quote:
I don't mean that it is doing badly, I mean that it is currently impossible to know what the new ceiling will be with the added density during a good economic period.

On the retail front a lot of major businesses are suffering right now so they're not able to expand with new locations.

My apologies this was meant as a reply to Keith.P!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I don't even think they're that common in Toronto. There are a few showroom-type dealerships in what remains of the industrial eastern edge of downtown. But even those take up entire city blocks and have some surface parking.

The smallest I recall is this Ford dealership on the first floor of a condo building.

I don't really understand the car-selling business, but it does seem pretty wild to keep your entire inventory on site, on some of the most expensive land in the city.
Here's a Honda dealer in downtown Montreal at the bottom of a condo building;

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4962...7i16384!8i8192

And another small one in Montreal;

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4909...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:21 PM

The White Rose (2172 Gottingen) is now complete and occupied.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I thought that one looked a bit plain as it was being built so I was curious how it would turn out when the finishing touches were added. It looks good. It will have a bit more decoration if a commercial tenant uses the signage space over the storefront window.

The scale is nice, both the height and the lot width. And no big garage door and curb cut.

The utility pole density here is off the charts.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 9:13 PM

I like the use of the french balconies too. And there is a light strip along the top similar to lots of new developments these days.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 10:14 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
I thought that one looked a bit plain as it was being built so I was curious how it would turn out when the finishing touches were added. It looks good. It will have a bit more decoration if a commercial tenant uses the signage space over the storefront window.

The scale is nice, both the height and the lot width. And no big garage door and curb cut.

The utility pole density here is off the charts.
Why would there EVER be a need to have 3 transformers that close together?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 11:08 PM

Demolition fencing has gone up today for 6440 Bayers Rd, and looks like some work has already started behind the buildings

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Why would there EVER be a need to have 3 transformers that close together?
I count 7 of them actually, even more remarkable.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 4:28 PM
Just 183 km north of...

Nova Scotia Power seems to have resolved a transformer issue on my street which had caused a pole transformer to blow three times in a relatively short period of time. When transformers blow it's not an insignificant sound rather it's a pretty big pop. I personally wouldn't feel safe living as close to transformers as these units appear to be. I'm surprised there isn't a safety issue here.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 4:54 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
Nova Scotia Power seems to have resolved a transformer issue on my street which had caused a pole transformer to blow three times in a relatively short period of time. When transformers blow it's not an insignificant sound rather it's a pretty big pop. I personally wouldn't feel safe living as close to transformers as these units appear to be. I'm surprised there isn't a safety issue here.
I wonder how long it will be before Gottingen gets the SGR treatment.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 4:59 PM

There is also some concern out there that exposure to the EMF generated by transformers and power lines can lead to health issues. Distance from the source seems to be the best protection, which wouldn't be possible in this case.

https://www.home-biology.com/electro...d-transformers

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
I wonder how long it will be before Gottingen gets the SGR treatment.
I'm going to guess 10 years. They just repaved. There's also a ton of new development to come so they won't want to do significant work only to have it all dug up again.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 8:30 AM
Closed account

Looks like there’s a proposal to add a ton of residential to the Penhorn Mall Lands:

Larger: https://imgur.com/gallery/T1zjtrQ

I cannot find the proposal on the website, though.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Looks like there’s a proposal to add a ton of residential to the Penhorn Mall Lands:

I cannot find the proposal on the website, though.
Thanks for sharing that. From the image it looks like a sound proposal.

I was most interested in seeing the new proposed development signage. A vast improvement over the previous black text on white background signs that offered minimal information. This is comparable to signage Toronto has used for years, including images and development highlights. It’s a step forward to encourage broader public engagement. Sadly, as you point out, the planning department drops the ball: despite the sign’s promise, the case number 23224 cannot be found on the web page.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
Thanks for sharing that. From the image it looks like a sound proposal.

I was most interested in seeing the new proposed development signage. A vast improvement over the previous black text on white background signs that offered minimal information. This is comparable to signage Toronto has used for years, including images and development highlights. It’s a step forward to encourage broader public engagement. Sadly, as you point out, the planning department drops the ball: despite the sign’s promise, the case number 23224 cannot be found on the web page.
The website is only updated on the 3rd Monday of each month. Should see it pop up on the 22nd.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I have always found Halifax planning pretty opaque.

I wonder how long it will be before we see something comparable to this Penhorn development around HSC? It would be a bit different because that area is more commercially successful; the mall itself may or may not be carved up. But the surface lots could be replaced with structured parking and some new towers, maybe quite tall (hopefully not sawed off for political reasons), could be built. The malls are commercial and transit hubs that are a good place to add density.

Around Vancouver many malls are getting this treatment, including eventually Metrotown which is quite successful.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 7:14 PM

It will be great when they kick the hippies out of Bloomfield and build condos there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth