HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
There's been a lot of dumpster fires around lately...
...probably those damd kids!!!...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
There's been a lot of dumpster fires around lately...
I don't think it was a dumpster but I remember seeing a relatively large fire in the Justice Centre parking lot last year.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
...probably those damd kids!!!...
Like DJ?

I kid, I kid...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Like DJ?

I kid, I kid...
LOL

Better watch what you say "Barrington_South" I'm not the only kid on here

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 3:43 AM
we built this city

Lol

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 9:48 PM

From today's Herald.

Building a creative urban centre important, development expert says

ROGER TAYLOR
Wed. Apr 22 - 5:54 AM

I’M SURE the Halifax regional councillors who were on hand for the Building Our Future luncheon on Tuesday didn’t intend for their exit to be symbolic, but it was.

After listening to a presentation by urban development expert Charles Landry, spectators sat and watched as the councillors got up en masse and prematurely marched out just as the audience was being encouraged to ask questions about the topic: the art of city making.

Mind you, it was an extended luncheon and the councillors probably had to get back to city hall for regular Tuesday meetings. But it looked like the councillors weren’t interested in finding out what it takes to build a creative city.

Besides, they could have waited a couple of minutes longer because most of us passed the councillors on our way out of the venue as they stood and waited for their taxis.

That aside, Landry describes himself as a "critical friend" who will tell decision-makers what they need to know, while at the same time offering inspiring advice that could lead to the city transforming itself for the better.

About 15 years ago, he says, 80 per cent of people surveyed were basing their career choices on a job or a company. Today, a growing number, 64 per cent, are choosing the city where they want to live.

That’s why building a creative and inspiring urban centre has become so important.

Using a series of slides of Halifax and other global centres, Landry showed his audience good and bad examples of urban design.

While there was lots the British-based consultant liked about Halifax, there was also plenty he didn’t approve of.

For example, he doesn’t like the proliferation of buildings in Halifax with reflective glass exteriors. On the other hand, Landry loves Peggys Cove, the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge and parts of Barrington Street, among other spots.

He likes streetscapes that are inviting rather than nondescript buildings that put up barriers to human interaction.

Specifically, he pointed to the Aliant building on Barrington Street, which he says dominates the downtown landscape in a negative way. The cheque-sorting centre on Grafton Street was another example of what he doesn’t like about the city.

Finding a way to attract creative people and employing their ideas, he says, will make Halifax a creative place "for the world" rather than being restricted to simply being a creative city "in the world."

Landry says a modern city generates opportunities for everyone to employ their individual creativity.

There will be mistakes while developing a creative place, he says, but there needs to be allowances, just as long as the mistakes are made in an attempt to make a more livable and invigorating place to live.

Landry, founder of the Comedia consultancy in Europe, has delivered his message to numerous cities in 50 countries. He is best known for three books: The Creative City: A toolkit for Urban Innovators; The Art of City Making; and The Intercultural City, which he co-authored with a colleague.

By viewing big questions with a bit of a twist, cities will be able to find solutions to what he describes on his website ( www.charleslandry.com) as the difficulties of balancing innovation and tradition, wealth creation and social cohesiveness, and local distinctiveness and a global orientation.

Successful cities of the future, he says, will be allowed to change and develop like a living organism, open to new ideas and change.

Whether Halifax politicians appreciate the message Landry delivered Tuesday is still open to question.

( rtaylor@herald.ca)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 11:16 AM

Rec centre tender approved

Thu. Apr 23 - 7:19 AM
Eight members of the volunteer board spearheading the construction of the $8.5-million Prospect Road Community Centre left a Halifax Regional Council meeting happy Tuesday night.

Council approved a recommendation to award the tender to Bird Construction Co. for a total tender price of $6,297,788.84.

Eight companies bid for the project.

Construction of the multi-purpose recreation centre is slated to begin within the next couple of months, with a completion target of the summer of 2010.

Located between the Hatchet Lake Fire Hall and the Prospect Road Elementary School, the municipally-owned centre will include a gymnasium, meeting rooms, a fitness centre and a kitchen

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 10:02 PM

Work has begun at Gerard Hall, the scaffolding was being erected on the south face. Apparently this summer the north and south sides be redone.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Specifically, he pointed to the Aliant building on Barrington Street, which he says dominates the downtown landscape in a negative way. The cheque-sorting centre on Grafton Street was another example of what he doesn’t like about the city.
So that's what the building is! I've always hated that building.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 12:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting I guess, but these consultants always seem to point out the same obvious flaws in the city. It isn't much of a surprise that they would notice the Maritime Centre as a relatively poorly-designed office tower in terms of street presence and overall appearance.

The insights they bring in from other places are a lot more valuable, although typically I guess nothing is done either way.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:13 PM

I caught the first 15 min of the first episode of that travel show "depapture's" on OLN....first let me comment that I LOVE travelling and have travelled the world for several years like they do on that show...just not filming it...and let me state that I really, REALLY like "pilot guides" and to a lesser extent "don't forget your passport"....however I can not stand the blond haired fellow on "departure's" and my serious dislike for him has turned me of the entire show....I did catch the re-run of the first episode, the first 15 min that is, and I was quiet angered towards his comments made about Halifax (where they started their trip across Canada)...He said...in a condescending tone..."Halifax is....I guess....ALRIGHT"....they then went to peggy's cove and he said "this is a little more of what I was expecting...I guess....it just increases my disdain for this fellow even more and made me realise how attached and proud I have become of this place... Halifax Nova Scotia...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 11:14 AM

Regatta Point expansion on hold
Parking, traffic at issue
By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Thu. Apr 30 - 4:46 AM
A planned 28-unit expansion of the Regatta Point residential complex has hit a snag at Halifax city hall.

Developer Danny Chedrawe said Wednesday he will consult once again with neighbours.

"We’ve consulted extensively with people with all of our projects and this one is no exception," the developer said after the project was stalled.

An easy approval of a plan, that needed amendments to the Municipal Planning Strategy and Land-Use Bylaws, was expected at city hall on Tuesday after the plan received positive staff reviews.

The delay came after Coun. Linda Mosher (Purcell’s Cove-Armdale) said she wanted more information on the project before proceeding with a required public hearing. She said there were issues with parking and traffic safety.

Mr. Chedrawe, who owns Westwood Developments Ltd., said he does not know how long the addition will be delayed.

He wants to put an addition on the western wings of the complex located in Armdale and said the project has received a significant amount of scrutiny from area residents.

There are currently 96 apartment units in the building at 16 Anchor Dr.

A municipal staff report said the project will "effectively complete" the Regatta Point development. Halifax Regional Municipality council and Chebucto Community council will eventually hold a public hearing on the required land use changes, which will involve newspaper advertising and written notices to neighbouring property owners.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation reported a weak first quarter for residential construction in Halifax in its regular market update, released on Tuesday.

The housing agency said there were only 90 apartment-style rental unit starts in Halifax in the first three months of the year, compared to 124 last year.

According to the agency, there were no apartment-style condominium starts in the city as of March of this year, compared to 38 at this time last year.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
I caught the first 15 min of the first episode of that travel show "depapture's" on OLN....first let me comment that I LOVE travelling and have travelled the world for several years like they do on that show...just not filming it...and let me state that I really, REALLY like "pilot guides" and to a lesser extent "don't forget your passport"....however I can not stand the blond haired fellow on "departure's" and my serious dislike for him has turned me of the entire show....I did catch the re-run of the first episode, the first 15 min that is, and I was quiet angered towards his comments made about Halifax (where they started their trip across Canada)...He said...in a condescending tone..."Halifax is....I guess....ALRIGHT"....they then went to peggy's cove and he said "this is a little more of what I was expecting...I guess....it just increases my disdain for this fellow even more and made me realise how attached and proud I have become of this place... Halifax Nova Scotia...
I've never seen that episode but I do love all those shows. Although I remember watching the episode of Don't Forget Your Passport when they came to NS and the girl was so naive. She remarked while driving down the south shore "I had no idea there were so many trees up here!" And then went on to not even once mention the amazing local music and bar scene we have here in Halifax.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:27 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I've never seen that episode but I do love all those shows. Although I remember watching the episode of Don't Forget Your Passport when they came to NS and the girl was so naive. She remarked while driving down the south shore "I had no idea there were so many trees up here!" And then went on to not even once mention the amazing local music and bar scene we have here in Halifax.
I hate those douches on Departures... they talk more about their emotions and stupid stuff than travel. One episode one of the guys was clearly cheating on his girlfriend and then was crying the rest of the episode about how him and his girlfriend had ended their relationship. A) who cares B) you just cheated on your girl, so why are you crying about it... you are travelling the world... I would hate to travel with these dudes and it isn't suprising that friends end up leaving all the time on the show.

I like that British dude (Ian Wright?) that travels the world (pilot guides)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:06 PM

Here's a tidbit from a Chronicle Herald article today;

More goodies
$422 million slated for N.S. gateway projects
By DAVID JACKSON Provincial Reporter
Thu. Apr 30 - 4:24 PM

The projects announced include a half dozen gateway projects worth an estimated $172 million. There's cash for improving two terminals at the Port of Halifax, a road connecting highways 102 and 107*, a high-speed highway interchange in Truro**, upgrades to Route 344 to support the proposed Melford container terminal, and money for marketing and business development.

Another $114 million is going to repairs and improvements at universities and community college campuses.

Joan MacArthur Blair, president of the community college, said the $17.5 million for campuses is crucial.

"We open 2.5-million square feet of real estate every morning for Nova Scotians to come and undertake education. It's important that they have buildings that are state of the art to learn in if we expect them to undertake state of the art work in Nova Scotia, and so it's extraordinarily important for us to be able to do this work," she said.

Universities are getting $96.5 million. The province is contributing up to $17 million, and making $30 million available for low-interest loans to the schools, Education Minister Judy Streatch said.

Ottawa and the province are both putting up $18.5 million for paving secondary roads, a new funding plan for Ottawa. Previously, the federal government just cost-shared major highways.

The two levels of government also are contributing more than $7 million each to fix up the Bluenose II, and there's another $4.1 million each for parks and trails.

Mr. MacKay said there's also $14 million each for Cape Breton Regional Municipality and Halifax Regional Municipality for infrastructure projects.

* Highway 107 Extension a.k.a. Burnside Expreeway. See its thread in the transportation thread for more details.
** Highway 102/104 Interchange.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Apr 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:17 PM

Value Village to open at former Moirs site next week
Halifax News Net
By Joanie Veitch – The?Weekly News

The aisles at the downtown Value Village are beginning to look bare as more and more inventory is hauled over to the new Dartmouth Gate location.
The popular thrift store is closing its doors on Canal Street to open a bigger outlet at the former Moirs chocolate factory site on April 30.
A spokesperson for the Value Village store network, which represents more than 200 stores throughout the U.S. and Canada, said the new Dartmouth Gate site, located at the intersection of the Circumferential Highway and Pleasant Street, offers a lot more space, easier access and better parking.
“We have finally found a building that is both ideally located and big enough to grow the business to meet the customer demand,” said Kaitlin Goodall.
Despite a grim recession, sales across the Value Village network are up by about five per cent over the past few years. Goodall said she expects that trend will continue as the economy forces people to make drastic budget changes. “More people than ever are turning to thrift stores to maintain their wardrobe at bargain prices and to stretch their dollar. For these savvy shoppers, choosing thrift does not mean sacrificing quality; it means stretching a tight budget further while maintaining style.”
Eight new staff have been hired to help staff the new outlet, in addition to the 47 employees who already work at the Dartmouth store. More staff may be hired once the store officially opens, Goodall added.
Developer Southwest Properties Ltd. began working on the Dartmouth Gate site in March 2008, renovating the former “Pot of Gold” manufacturing facility to create more than 170,000 square feet of floor space. Value Village will take up 30,000 square feet of that space.
Along with Value Village, Dartmouth Gate will also house the Nova Scotia Community College’s Aviation Institute, along with its 180 students. Gordon Laing, president and chief operating officer with Southwest, said “discussions are ongoing” with other retailers for the remaining space.
Two restaurant pads are also in future plans for the site, he added.
Converting the former chocolate factory into prime retail and commercial space meant extensive renovations, but the potential for the site made it a prime opportunity for Southwest, Laing said.
“Like the Moosehead brewery site (which Southwest converted into Windmill Crossing, home to Office Interiors Group), we see opportunities where others maybe don’t,” Laing said.
And the bonus? There’s still a slight whiff of chocolate in the place.

joanie.veitch@gmail.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mosque will be new Halifax landmark
Halifax News Net
By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News

The construction of a mosque and community centre off Chebucto Road is a new landmark for the region, says the building committee chairman.
“The design and architecture is unique to Eastern Canada,” said Hadi Salah, who is also the principal of the Maritime Muslim Academy. “The windows, the arcs, and the dome — this is what makes this project unique.”
The $6-million project, designed by Halifax-based architect Dan Goodspeed, is expected to opens its doors in about a year.
“We like to have a place that’s basically a hangout for families and youth, not only to come and do prayer, but also for the community centre to be open to other people regardless of faith,” Salah said.
“It’s for everybody to use equally, but the prayer hall is for Muslims.”
He said local Muslims, including the 123 students enrolled at the school, can’t wait for the centre to open.
“We’ve been looking forward to this for over 10 years,” Salah said. “We have built expectation. Everybody’s anxious. Everybody thinks it’s the best thing that could happen to them and to their family and their children. They need to find a place where they can go there and feel they belong among families of similar background.”
The Muslim community had been using a bungalow on the site as a prayer hall, but that was torn down to make way for the project. While construction is ongoing, the group is renting space in the basement of the adjacent Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts.
Salah said about 500 people attend the weekly Friday prayer session. Students also use the space for their noontime prayer during school hours.
The centre’s upper floor will house a new prayer hall that will accommodate 800 people.
The two-storey centre will have a library, computer lab, youth activity room, seminar rooms and classrooms.
The basement area will have a multi-purpose gymnasium with a basketball court and stage that can be used for community events and school performances.
So far, the local Muslim community has raised $2 million.
Salah is hoping to get funding from the city and province because part of the building is for community use, and has environmentally-friendly design features, including geothermal heating and a wastewater recovery system.
Salah says the Muslim population has multiplied in the city in recent years. In the 1980s, there were only about a dozen families, whereas today he says there are over 20,000 Muslims living in the municipality.

lindsayleejones@gmail.com

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 11:15 AM

Halifax piers get bulk of gateway cash
By TOM PETERS Business Reporter
Fri. May 1 - 8:01 AM

More than $100 million has been earmarked for two major Atlantic Gateway projects at the Port of Halifax.

Expansion of the south-end container terminal berth, operated by Halterm Container Terminal Ltd., and extensive work at Richmond Terminals, near the A. Murray MacKay Bridge, were among several projects targeted Thursday for government infrastructure funding.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay, Nova Scotia’s representative in the federal cabinet, and Premier Rodney MacDonald made the announcement at Province House in Halifax.

Other gateway projects getting the nod for shared funding include the Burnside Connector, which will connect highways 107 and 102 to the industrial park and a transshipment facility; improvements at the highway interchange in Truro connecting highways 104 and 102; upgrades to Highway 344 in support of the proposed Melford container terminal; and business development and marketing initiatives to promote gateway ports and facilities.

The Halterm terminal will be extended by less than 100 metres, but "the beauty and significance of this is it will enable the facility to have two post-Panamax vessels alongside simultaneously," Karen Oldfield, Halifax Port Authority president and chief executive officer, said Thursday.

The project has been on the authority’s radar for quite some time, she said, and the gateway funding "enables us to accelerate that and get it done."

Also included in the project is further deepening of the berth at Halterm to 16 metres and improved cargo-handling efficiencies, particularly for truck operations through upgrades of the truck marshalling yard.

That would happen by increasing the terminal area and allowing for a reconfiguration of the approach road and terminal gate complex.

The estimated cost of the total project is $35 million.

At Richmond Terminals, it is estimated that the project will cost $73 million.

"In terms of lands under the administration by the Halifax Port Authority, Richmond Terminals is the last significant block of property" that is underdeveloped and has great potential, Ms. Oldfield said.

"There is so much potential there to go to some of our other lines of business," she said, referring to break-bulk, bulk and occasional cargo business from the offshore exploration industry.

She said the Richmond Terminals project would be to extend the berth and develop an area of just under seven acres of land, "so it is a significant addition at the port."

"This has been on the agenda for a while and we are quite happy with the opportunity to build that out."

The project will also include work to enable roll-on roll-off facility and enhanced heavy-lift capabilities.

There will be rails for cranes installed and possibly, in the future, cranes will be purchased for the site. An area near the terminal known as 9D will be upgraded to provide enhanced pier and marshalling capabilities.

Details on cost-sharing for the Halterm and Richmond projects and when work will begin have not been determined.

"The support of the Province of Nova Scotia and the Government of Canada is important as we move forward competing worldwide for cargo," Ms. Oldfield said in a news release.

"The direct port investments, highway projects and Atlantic Gateway business development funding will support the ongoing efforts of the Port of Halifax supply chain members."

tpeters@herald.ca

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 12:03 PM

"Also included in the project is further deepening of the berth at Halterm to 16 metres and improved cargo-handling efficiencies, particularly for truck operations through upgrades of the truck marshalling yard.

That would happen by increasing the terminal area and allowing for a reconfiguration of the approach road and terminal gate complex.

The estimated cost of the total project is $35 million."

Wonder what is planned to accomplish this

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Value Village to open at former Moirs site next week
Halifax News Net
By Joanie Veitch – The?Weekly News

The aisles at the downtown Value Village are beginning to look bare as more and more inventory is hauled over to the new Dartmouth Gate location.
The popular thrift store is closing its doors on Canal Street to open a bigger outlet at the former Moirs chocolate factory site on April 30.
A spokesperson for the Value Village store network, which represents more than 200 stores throughout the U.S. and Canada, said the new Dartmouth Gate site, located at the intersection of the Circumferential Highway and Pleasant Street, offers a lot more space, easier access and better parking.
“We have finally found a building that is both ideally located and big enough to grow the business to meet the customer demand,” said Kaitlin Goodall.
Despite a grim recession, sales across the Value Village network are up by about five per cent over the past few years. Goodall said she expects that trend will continue as the economy forces people to make drastic budget changes. “More people than ever are turning to thrift stores to maintain their wardrobe at bargain prices and to stretch their dollar. For these savvy shoppers, choosing thrift does not mean sacrificing quality; it means stretching a tight budget further while maintaining style.”
Eight new staff have been hired to help staff the new outlet, in addition to the 47 employees who already work at the Dartmouth store. More staff may be hired once the store officially opens, Goodall added.
Developer Southwest Properties Ltd. began working on the Dartmouth Gate site in March 2008, renovating the former “Pot of Gold” manufacturing facility to create more than 170,000 square feet of floor space. Value Village will take up 30,000 square feet of that space.
Along with Value Village, Dartmouth Gate will also house the Nova Scotia Community College’s Aviation Institute, along with its 180 students. Gordon Laing, president and chief operating officer with Southwest, said “discussions are ongoing” with other retailers for the remaining space.
Two restaurant pads are also in future plans for the site, he added.
Converting the former chocolate factory into prime retail and commercial space meant extensive renovations, but the potential for the site made it a prime opportunity for Southwest, Laing said.
“Like the Moosehead brewery site (which Southwest converted into Windmill Crossing, home to Office Interiors Group), we see opportunities where others maybe don’t,” Laing said.
And the bonus? There’s still a slight whiff of chocolate in the place.

joanie.veitch@gmail.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mosque will be new Halifax landmark
Halifax News Net
By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News

The construction of a mosque and community centre off Chebucto Road is a new landmark for the region, says the building committee chairman.
“The design and architecture is unique to Eastern Canada,” said Hadi Salah, who is also the principal of the Maritime Muslim Academy. “The windows, the arcs, and the dome — this is what makes this project unique.”
The $6-million project, designed by Halifax-based architect Dan Goodspeed, is expected to opens its doors in about a year.
“We like to have a place that’s basically a hangout for families and youth, not only to come and do prayer, but also for the community centre to be open to other people regardless of faith,” Salah said.
“It’s for everybody to use equally, but the prayer hall is for Muslims.”
He said local Muslims, including the 123 students enrolled at the school, can’t wait for the centre to open.
“We’ve been looking forward to this for over 10 years,” Salah said. “We have built expectation. Everybody’s anxious. Everybody thinks it’s the best thing that could happen to them and to their family and their children. They need to find a place where they can go there and feel they belong among families of similar background.”
The Muslim community had been using a bungalow on the site as a prayer hall, but that was torn down to make way for the project. While construction is ongoing, the group is renting space in the basement of the adjacent Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts.
Salah said about 500 people attend the weekly Friday prayer session. Students also use the space for their noontime prayer during school hours.
The centre’s upper floor will house a new prayer hall that will accommodate 800 people.
The two-storey centre will have a library, computer lab, youth activity room, seminar rooms and classrooms.
The basement area will have a multi-purpose gymnasium with a basketball court and stage that can be used for community events and school performances.
So far, the local Muslim community has raised $2 million.
Salah is hoping to get funding from the city and province because part of the building is for community use, and has environmentally-friendly design features, including geothermal heating and a wastewater recovery system.
Salah says the Muslim population has multiplied in the city in recent years. In the 1980s, there were only about a dozen families, whereas today he says there are over 20,000 Muslims living in the municipality.

lindsayleejones@gmail.com
I'd love to see the reaction if a Muslim was denied access to a church, based on his faith....no doubt all the white politically correct pansy's would bend over backwards to make sure this outrage was addressed immediately...

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 11:17 AM

Taxpayers on hook for firehall fix

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter
Wed. May 6 - 5:32 AM
It was an offer they could refuse — and did.

About 15 months ago, Halifax regional council received an offer to buy the former Bedford firehall at the full list price of $575,000.

But in February 2008 council declined the proposed deal, to keep the property at 1247 Bedford Hwy. for community use.

A non-profit youth group vacated the building in 2006.

Now, taxpayers are on the hook for $110,000 in repairs needed to maintain the rejected building, which stopped functioning as a fire station 12 years ago. The biggest part of the bill is for a new roof, said a staff report presented Tuesday to regional council.

Staff recommended council issue a request for expressions of interest in the former firehall. The suggestion was contentious as some councillors lamented last year’s lost sale opportunity.

Not only was the recommendation controversial, how it was being discussed was briefly the subject of debate. One councillor wanted the matter deferred so it could be covered behind closed doors, but his proposal was voted down.

Coun. Tim Outhit (Bedford) said Halifax city hall should proceed with the expression-of-interest call to test the waters. He said he knows of two groups that might be interested in it.

Coun. Bill Karsten (Portland-East Woodlawn), who wanted to debate in secret, suggested the old fire station should be demolished and the land redeveloped.

If the worn-out property is sold, it will likely go for less than market value, council heard.

In the end, the plan to issue a request for expressions of interest was approved.

In other business, Halifax Regional Municipality agreed to team up with Soccer Nova Scotia to build a proposed $11.5-million indoor, full-length, artificial turf field that would host soccer games and other sports at a site at the Mainland Common.

The city’s proposed contribution is $900,000, the soccer association would pay $1.9 million and the rest would come from Ottawa and the provincial government, municipal staff said.

Council heard several more of these proposed facilities are needed in the city.

Council also agreed to earmark $1.1 million in advanced capital funding for the 2009 ICF Canoe Sprint World Championships in Dartmouth in August.

Lake Banook will be the host site. Some 90 countries are expected to send athletes and coaches to the event, which is to be televised internationally, the meeting heard.

The city’s draft 2009-10 budget is to be presented next week, but work on the canoeing venue needs to start as soon as possible.

Regarding rural transit, councillors approved a one-year, $300,000, pilot project for the Sambro area. The test run will begin in September and be financed by an impending increase in Metro Transit fares.

Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) opposed the transit project because he objects to the increase being used for that purpose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth