HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Regional Environmental Assessment underway for the Ring of Fire region.

Looks like the feds are opting for a regional approach, as opposed to doing EAs for individual projects. This could potentially speed up development for the Ring of Fire. This same sort of approach was undertaken recently to determine the effects of offshore drilling in Newfoundland and Labrador, and the draft RA came out last month. The results of the RA were in favour of increasing of oil exploration in the area.

I have no doubt that this process will help speed things along up north.
I wonder if the FN will be for or against this. We don''t need more messes for resource development.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I wonder if the FN will be for or against this. We don''t need more messes for resource development.
I would be willing to shoulder that most FN in the area will be for it. I'm not familiar with the area, but I do believe that the establishment of all-season infrastructure and an industrial presence will generally welcomed in the area, provided that adequate environmental standards and processes are enforced. I would be more worried about the eco-groups that patronize the image of the FN and neglect to listen to facts.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 8:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I would be willing to shoulder that most FN in the area will be for it. I'm not familiar with the area, but I do believe that the establishment of all-season infrastructure and an industrial presence will generally welcomed in the area, provided that adequate environmental standards and processes are enforced. I would be more worried about the eco-groups that patronize the image of the FN and neglect to listen to facts.
It’s Northern Ontario. Nobody’s gonna drive/march 1000+ km to the middle of nowhere just to protest. Lol I bet people from Geraldton may even try to chase them away with (green) stones.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 11:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
It’s Northern Ontario. Nobody’s gonna drive/march 1000+ km to the middle of nowhere just to protest. Lol I bet people from Geraldton may even try to chase them away with (green) stones.
You say that, but look at what is happening around Canada right now. all it would take is a few camping out to have it spiral into what we have now.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 4:30 AM
I am a typical

There have been blockades up there before, if the band councils don't get their way they'll blockade it themselves. That's what KI did a decade ago.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There have been blockades up there before, if the band councils don't get their way they'll blockade it themselves. That's what KI did a decade ago.
Maybe the ROF should be shelved till we get a concrete way ahead with FN. Right now, it is a mess. The minerals will be there still, and once we can proceed, we proceed.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:33 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Maybe the ROF should be shelved till we get a concrete way ahead with FN. Right now, it is a mess. The minerals will be there still, and once we can proceed, we proceed.
Try convincing either government of that.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Try convincing either government of that.
I think these blockades are starting to.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 3:58 AM
I am a typical

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Surprised it took this long to happen. Next comes the fight over demolition and clean up costs.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 2:45 AM
I am a typical

It didn't burn down completely so it's now a serious public hazard, it will likely be torn down at the city's expense with the cost put on the tax bill which will go unpaid until the city ends up owning the land, and then it will be vacant for years.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 2:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It didn't burn down completely so it's now a serious public hazard, it will likely be torn down at the city's expense with the cost put on the tax bill which will go unpaid until the city ends up owning the land, and then it will be vacant for years.
Why wouldn't the owners pay for it?
For those of us not in there, a bit of history might be needed.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 4:19 AM
I am a typical

It's owned by a number corporation based in Brampton. They bought it several years ago as an investment but it didn't gain value, so they stopped maintaining it. It is essentially abandoned, the corporation might not even exist now.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 10:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's owned by a number corporation based in Brampton. They bought it several years ago as an investment but it didn't gain value, so they stopped maintaining it. It is essentially abandoned, the corporation might not even exist now.
So, an insurance deal?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:38 AM
I am a typical

I highly doubt he had insurance, and even if he did, the money he gets paid from it would barely cover the clean-up costs. Since it's privately owned, the demolition of the site would come out of his pocket. I really don't see the benefit to doing this.

Also, the building has been broken into a couple times since it was shuttered, and squatters have lit buildings up before (most recently that I can recall was the house on Bethune that burned in November), so it's unlikely that that number corporation bothered to hire someone to do this. It was random.

Fire Marshall was on site this afternoon, looked like they were wrapping up for the day when I drove by around 6pm. Since the building is still largely intact, they've got a decent chance of at least figuring out the origin of the fire, if not the exact cause.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:37 PM

THUNDER BAY

OPG is finalizing the divestment of the former Thunder Bay Generating Station by putting the decommissioned property up for sale. The hope is the site will be sold to a party interested in using it for another economic development purpose.
https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...photos-2137884

A sizeable piece of land in Innova Park (one or some of the lots closest to the intersection of the Thunder Bay Expressway, Highway 61 & the Harbour Expressway) is currently being cleared. I'm not sure at this point what is happening with the site otherwise.

Last edited by TbayON; Mar 6, 2020 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
THUNDER BAY

OPG is finalizing the divestment of the former Thunder Bay Generating Station by putting the decommissioned property up for sale. The hope is the site will be sold to a party interested in using it for another economic development purpose.
https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...photos-2137884

A sizeable piece of land in Innova Park (one or some of the lots closest to the intersection of the Thunder Bay Expressway, Highway 61 & the Harbour Expressway) is currently being cleared. I'm not sure at this point what is happening with the site otherwise.
Nothing is happening , they are clearing it out in hope of making it more attractive to potential buyers

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Nothing is happening , they are clearing it out in hope of making it more attractive to potential buyers
Also a number company is suppose to break ground in there this year

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 5:15 PM

THUNDER BAY

A new Motel 6 is going to be built on Arthur St. near Leland, with construction expected to be completed late summer 2021. The project will see the former Bob's Motel demolished and replaced with a multi-storey (looks to be maybe 3 floors) motel.

A new entrance road to Fort William Historical Park is going to be constructed this year. It will run from Broadway Ave. down to King Rd. at the very northern edge of FWHP property. The project will include a walking trail with a small covered structure, considerable landscaping and some viewing & seating areas.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
THUNDER BAY

A new Motel 6 is going to be built on Arthur St. near Leland, with construction expected to be completed late summer 2021. The project will see the former Bob's Motel demolished and replaced with a multi-storey (looks to be maybe 3 floors) motel.
Trivia question: Is Bob's Motel the only motel that has existed in that general location? In the early 80s my family visited a seriously ill relative in Thunder Bay and stayed at that approximate site (north side of Arthur, not really close to the airport). We arrived quite late and found the lock to the door of the room broken, a window that would not close properly and a light that started smoking when turned on. My parents quickly took us elsewhere the second night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario