HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:19 AM

Great to finally see the above project finally progressing nicely, that is a massive footprint!

Also, not sure if many of you have seen or know about this already but here's a great map showing the major developments that are proposed for DTLA:
https://www.downtownla.com/do-biz/de...n-the-pipeline

I'm sure it's missing a few of the more recent proposals but it's quite up-to-date.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:54 PM

Edit: Thanks WestCoastSupertall

Perla topped out and looking good on the ground floor
IMG_3104 by Hugh B, on Flickr
IMG_3105 by Hugh B, on Flickr

Aven's ground floor filling out nicely with South Park Pharmacy and Orange Theory Fitness
IMG_3109 by Hugh B, on Flickr
IMG_3110 by Hugh B, on Flickr

Both towers of Grand Avenue are now fully one floor above ground
IMG_3119 by Hugh B, on Flickr

DT Los Angeles Flagship Apple Store moving along
IMG_3107 by Hugh B, on Flickr

And finally... The reef butchering its crown to add a garish LED Billboard to be visible to all traveling the 10, the 110, the A & E Line Light Rail and blasting into your high rise apartment living room. It's so ugly! It's completely covering the top floor windows of the building and hovering very closely to covering the 2nd to highest floor. Havent we moved on to Invisible LED screens and OLEDs that keep the look of the building and/or even beautify a structure so we dont have to do this crap?! Dis dat bull ish These should be turning on soon soooooo.....
IMG_3118 by Hugh B, on Flickr
IMG_3116 by Hugh B, on Flickr
Hide ya kids, hide ya wife, and hide ya husbands cause these billboards are coming for everything
#LightPollution #UglifyYourNeighborhood

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 9, 2020 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:41 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

^^ Thanks Hugh! Great photos. I use Flickr to post on here. It's a little annoying but gets the job done

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 1:26 PM

A few I snapped of Southpark and Perla

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 2:12 AM

Those panoramic shots with the mountains in the background are gorgeous winners!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 8:03 PM

Thanks for those pictures pwright1 , well-done! Love that ice rink shot, looks like a different city already

LA is three or four 60+ story towers away from being nearly unrecognizable to an outsider

Was that Perla shot using telescopic lens? Because it is dwarfed by those towers behind it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Thanks for those pictures pwright1 , well-done! Love that ice rink shot, looks like a different city already

LA is three or four 60+ story towers away from being nearly unrecognizable to an outsider

Was that Perla shot using telescopic lens? Because it is dwarfed by those towers behind it.
Thanks. I just zoomed in with a zoom lens. The skyscrapers behind Perla sit up much higher on Bunker Hill.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Thanks. I just zoomed in with a zoom lens. The skyscrapers behind Perla sit up much higher on Bunker Hill.
Oh okay, I didn't realize how much of an impact Bunker Hill made. No wonder US Bank tower is so imposing over Wilshire Grand (the supposed tallest building in the West).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 10:09 PM

I drove through downtown yesterday and let me just say Perla looks HUGE from the sidewalk, it's very imposing but in a good way. We could use a few dozen of them throughout hill and spring. It doesn't compromise the historic elements of the historic core at all. In a way it almost compliments it. Tons of foot traffic, more and more each day. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2020 census lists DTLA as having close to 100k residents.

2000: 27,849
2006: 28,878
2008: 39,537
2014: 52,400
2017: 67,324
2020: 85,000?

Downtownla(dot)com lists Downtown at almost having 80k residents right now.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
I drove through downtown yesterday and let me just say Perla looks HUGE from the sidewalk, it's very imposing but in a good way. We could use a few dozen of them throughout hill and spring. It doesn't compromise the historic elements of the historic core at all. In a way it almost compliments it. Tons of foot traffic, more and more each day. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2020 census lists DTLA as having close to 100k residents.

2000: 27,849
2006: 28,878
2008: 39,537
2014: 52,400
2017: 67,324
2020: 85,000?

Downtownla(dot)com lists Downtown at almost having 80k residents right now.
The snowball effect is in play, this is how most major cities grow. It's still surprising that LA with such a large populace is so empty downtown compared to most other US cities, I can see why people were calling it a barren wasteland in the 1980s-2000s. And hopefully more foot traffic will begin to scare the homeless further East.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 4:17 AM

Quote:
The snowball effect is in play, this is how most major cities grow. It's still surprising that LA with such a large populace is so empty downtown compared to most other US cities, I can see why people were calling it a barren wasteland in the 1980s-2000s. And hopefully more foot traffic will begin to scare the homeless further East.
I get how in comparison to NYC, SF, and Chicago, that DTLA is not as active. But when you look at Houston (4th largest city), Dallas, Atlanta, etc. their Downtowns aren’t close to DTLA, as far as people on the streets, restaurants, nightlife, etc.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:08 AM

Also remember that outside of the dense centers of NYC, SF, and Chicago... it gets barren more and more... whereas in LA no matter how far from downtown you go.. it stays almost equally populated.. the people are just spread out.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
Also remember that outside of the dense centers of NYC, SF, and Chicago... it gets barren more and more... whereas in LA no matter how far from downtown you go.. it stays almost equally populated.. the people are just spread out.
That's more of a symptom of how the city sprawls, the downtown is equally populated because there's just as much to do in other areas of LAs basin. So for the downtown area to outgrow the rest of the city more attractions and residential need to be built more concentrated, as of now the sprawl is too much to contain. And lastly, a strong metro and public transit system that keeps people from driving everywhere keeps people in the city center more often. That still needs to be resolved in LA to lessen the requirement for a car, Chicago and NYC you don't need a car at all really. SF suffers from similar problems to LA though.

Last edited by Niftybox; Jan 14, 2020 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:00 PM

Lightbulb

This is why city comparisons are so frustrating because they never make any sense. You cant compare cities that boomed during different times and with totally different ideologies with cities that were designed to be a different way decades later. It seems the LA pages get plagued with this topic every blue moon and it still baffles my mind that with the conclusion being the same each and every time, that it still turns up as a topic.

LA is fixing its transit issues, Downtown is now doing just fine, No it doesn't need to be more like (enter random city here: _________________). We're now moving right along.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:04 PM

So. Back to the usual, anybody have a list of whats supposed to break ground this year? or was supposed to break ground last year but didnt? would be itneresting to see whats in the works. Looking at oceanwide daily (View from my office), its really starting to annoy me and its massive, i really need them to finance or sell quickly to the highest bidder. That project alone could do soooooo much for downtown. We all hate malls but the mall/shops planned for its base with the video screens will no doubt be a major tourist draw, not to mention the new residence and hotel guests.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
This is why city comparisons are so frustrating because they never make any sense. You cant compare cities that boomed during different times and with totally different ideologies with cities that were designed to be a different way decades later. It seems the LA pages get plagued with this topic every blue moon and it still baffles my mind that with the conclusion being the same each and every time, that it still turns up as a topic.

at this late date, it is what it is.....or what's that phrase? crying over spilled milk. Or how about, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

would've, could've arguments about LA are exercises in futility....they're like debates that never go past square one....at least since improvements have occurred or are occurring.

LA is its own animal....yrs ago, when the city....esp dtla....was in fairly bad shape, I saw that as a big problem. But I would have felt the same way even if LA had the history and pattern of devlpt of cities like NYC, Chicago, boston, san francisco or in europe. major economic & cultural recessions are never pretty, anywhere, LA or elsewhere.

today, a lack of new devlpt has switched to too much homelessness & dirty sidewalks & streets. Those are problems hurting dtla, just as they're doing to certain other major cities in the US & world.

in the meantime, I would have never predicted this even a few yrs ago....if it does succeed, it will show nothing should be discounted, at least until the last minute. still, win some, lose some......

Quote:
Beloved San Francisco bakery Tartine expanded into Los Angeles in January with a sprawling, 40,000-square-foot Manufactory outfitted with two restaurants, a cafe, a bakery and a marketplace. On Monday, all of the retail components open to the public closed.

The key issue with the Manufactory project, Robertson said, was the downtown location, an area full of manufacturing but not many residents. In a city where everyone drives, there wasn’t foot traffic on weekdays, and destination visits on the weekend couldn’t sustain the operation.

Quote:

By Caitlin White / January 14, 2020 8:26 am

In the decade since Soho House came to California, the elite members-only club has practically become a Hollywood institution. The initial, flagship location in West Hollywood is one of the U.K.-based hospitality company’s most prestigious outposts, and a second more remote Malibu site has rounded out the club’s presence on L.A.’s more remote west side. In September of this year, a third, vast space, Soho Warehouse, opened in the quickly-emerging downtown Arts District, officially staking claim on the east side of the city as well. The company’s presence downtown joins other creative giants like Spotify and Warner Music Group, who have both recently relocated their headquarters to the area, contributing to what some are calling a renaissance of the once influential neighborhood.

At seven stories, Soho Warehouse is the largest Soho House in North America, and the first location on the west coast to offer bedrooms — aka a hotel component — open to members, but also to their guests, conferring temporary membership into the house on visitors while they’re staying at the hotel. So while there is plenty of competition when it comes to lodging downtown — including early adopters like the Ace Hotel, a relatively new addition in The Freehand, and revamped, historical institutions like Hotel Figueroa — none of them boast the cache of hanging out at Soho House itself.

With a rooftop pool and jaw-dropping views of L.A.’s hazy downtown skyline, as well as a split-level gym complete with sauna and steam rooms, three restaurants, and the club space itself, Soho Warehouse is either the ultimate staycation, or the ideal home base for visitors to indulge in the best of the city.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

LA is fixing its transit issues, Downtown is now doing just fine, No it doesn't need to be more like (enter random city here: _________________). We're now moving right along.
These issues deserve to be brought up if the problem exists, not talking about it doesn't make it go away necessarily. LA has a severe traffic problem unlike any city and the city's current public transportation downtown barely makes a dent including the new rail line. The car friendly nature itself keeps people from walking around and contributes to isolationism, by midnight everyone is in the burbs.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:04 AM

Quote:
LA has a severe traffic problem unlike any city and the city's current public transportation downtown barely makes a dent including the new rail line. The car friendly nature itself keeps people from walking around and contributes to isolationism, by midnight everyone is in the burbs.

Quote:
L.A.'s Transit Ridership Is Plummeting
Why is the City of Angels still struggling to shake off its smoggy image?

By Chloe Zilliac | Nov 12 2019

Facing the worst congestion in the nation, notoriously bad air quality, and of course, climate change, L.A. is pouring billions into expanding its public transit system. But despite the completion of several expensive new rail projects, transit ridership is plummeting. Boardings for Southern California’s largest transit carrier, the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro), dropped around 17 percent in the past five years—from just under 473 million in 2013 to around 391 million in 2018.

Voters have signaled their willingness to invest in transit improvements by approving four sales tax increases for transportation projects: Prop A in 1980, Prop C in 1990, Measure R in 2008, and Measure M in 2016.

Why, then, aren’t more Angelenos using the public transit system they are funding?

“If we look at periods when public transit ridership has increased, and periods when it has decreased, I don’t think it is hard to figure out what is driving the change,” James Moore, II, director of the Transportation Engineering Program at USC, said. “[Transit riders] are a very price-sensitive group. When you raise fairs, you price them off the system.”

During the period when MTA was bound by the consent decree, transit ridership in L.A. increased significantly, rising from around 363 million passenger trips in 1996 to just over 495 million passenger trips in 2007. In 2008, shortly after the consent decree expired, ridership numbers started to drop off. Transit ridership has been declining consistently since 2014.

“The evidence that we see is that fares don’t seem to have a huge influence [on transit ridership], but they don’t move that much either, in real terms,” Manville said. Manville’s report, which focuses on ridership since the year 2000, finds that “changes in transit service and fares have mostly followed and not led falling ridership.”

What, if not transit prices, is causing ridership numbers to fall?

According to Manville’s report, higher rates of car ownership―especially among low-income, immigrant Angelenos who traditionally make up transit’s core ridership―is the single most important factor driving down public transit use in Southern California. The report did not look at whether a disparity in financial investment between rail and bus service could be a factor.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:01 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Moderator Edit: Glad to hear that everyone equally hates traffic. Please discuss elsewhere and keep the discussion here to development-related matters.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 12:56 AM

@pwright1 those photos with the mountains are hitters!!!! Thank you

Onni's double south park tower Hope+Flower should be opening this month and she's looking...

And the canyon of Circa, Oceanwide to Staples

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations