HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 1:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post

Found a render of the Homarus Eco-Centre on the DesignPlus Architecture website currently under construction next to the Big Lobster. This will be a great tourist draw in the perfect location, much better than their previous location at the Point-du-Chene wharf.

Good stuff. Shediac is definitely gaining momentum.

I always think of Sackville when considering Shediac (I don't know why), but the trajectory of these two towns is entirely different. While Shediac is growing and is ambitious, Sackville is the epitome of a sleepy university town. It seems in a form of stasis mode, comfortable in it's persona of quiet academia...……...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good stuff. Shediac is definitely gaining momentum.

I always think of Sackville when considering Shediac (I don't know why), but the trajectory of these two towns is entirely different. While Shediac is growing and is ambitious, Sackville is the epitome of a sleepy university town. It seems in a form of stasis mode, comfortable in it's persona of quiet academia...……...
Speaking of growth, I was in the GeoNB Map Viewer last night and noticed Shediac has annexed a huge upside-down V piece of land and actually borders Dieppe, which has also grown.

https://imgur.com/a/JgwWKPx

This means Westmorland County is completely bisected by incorporated land. Are they racing to Scoudouc or something? I could see Shediac extending as far north as the county line, and Dieppe grabbing the remaining lands southwest of the TCH.

Will anyone ever annex Pointe-du-Chêne or should it incorporate itself?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Speaking of growth, I was in the GeoNB Map Viewer last night and noticed Shediac has annexed a huge upside-down V piece of land and actually borders Dieppe, which has also grown.

https://imgur.com/a/JgwWKPx

This means Westmorland County is completely bisected by incorporated land. Are they racing to Scoudouc or something? I could see Shediac extending as far north as the county line, and Dieppe grabbing the remaining lands southwest of the TCH.

Will anyone ever annex Pointe-du-Chêne or should it incorporate itself?
Pointe-du-Chêne is actually part of Beaubassin West along with Shediac Bridge, Scoudouc, Melanson Settlement, and Taylor Village. You can see this in the document below.
https://www.nbse.ca/media-planning/l...an_31_2018.pdf

Eventually this area will almost certainly become part of Shediac, Dieppe and Memramcook. Sackville and Dorchester should also be expanding their boundaries imo.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Pointe-du-Chêne is actually part of Beaubassin West along with Shediac Bridge, Scoudouc, Melanson Settlement, and Taylor Village. You can see this in the document below.
https://www.nbse.ca/media-planning/l...an_31_2018.pdf

Eventually this area will almost certainly become part of Shediac, Dieppe and Memramcook. Sackville and Dorchester should also be expanding their boundaries imo.
Beaubassin West is just a collection of LSDs, right? It's not formerly organized like Beaubassin East and looks too disjointed to make that practical. 4 distinct chunks!

-Pointe-du-Chene should be in either B-E or Shediac.
-the Shediac Bridge area should be a rural community if you add Grand-Digue to it, or part of Shediac.
-Scoudouc will end up getting partitioned like Poland between Dieppe and Shediac.
-Taylor Village could easily be annexed by Memramcook.

The remainder of Moncton Parish should seriously look at incorporating if it wants to stave off annexation, and Tantramar should look into becoming a rural community- include Port Elgin and Dorchester in the vote of course. Baker Lake in Haut-Madawaska and Cap-Pele in B-E seem to do fine surrounded by RCs.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Beaubassin West is just a collection of LSDs, right? It's not formerly organized like Beaubassin East and looks too disjointed to make that practical. 4 distinct chunks!

-Pointe-du-Chene should be in either B-E or Shediac.
-the Shediac Bridge area should be a rural community if you add Grand-Digue to it, or part of Shediac.
-Scoudouc will end up getting partitioned like Poland between Dieppe and Shediac.
-Taylor Village could easily be annexed by Memramcook.

The remainder of Moncton Parish should seriously look at incorporating if it wants to stave off annexation, and Tantramar should look into becoming a rural community- include Port Elgin and Dorchester in the vote of course. Baker Lake in Haut-Madawaska and Cap-Pele in B-E seem to do fine surrounded by RCs.
As my mom has owned the family cottage in Pointe Du Chene since 1963 we have always wondered whether the area would amalgamate with Shediac. The answer we always heard was Shediac would love the extra tax revenue, however the cost of laying pipes hooking up hydrants and paving the dirt roads would be too much for the town.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Feb 11, 2021 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 1:14 PM

A long time ago I asked the then-mayor of Shediac why they aren't chasing PDC and he gave me the same answer. That was three or four mayors ago, so it was some time ago.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
A long time ago I asked the then-mayor of Shediac why they aren't chasing PDC and he gave me the same answer. That was three or four mayors ago, so it was some time ago.
Beaubassin Est wouldn't have that problem, right? Rural communities have no real road/sewer obligations outside of any villages that join them.

Very surprised to see how much of Madawaska is inside incorporated areas now.

A decade ago Madawaska had 24 local government units, with 10 incorporated. 8 villages, 1 city, 1 town, and 14 parishes.

With H-M and St-Andre, it's down to 15 with 7 incorporated. 3 villages (Baker Lake, Riviere-Verte, Ste-Anne-de-Madawaska), 1 city, 1 town, 2 rural communities, and 8 parishes.

Does anywhere in the province have planned or proposed amalgamation plans? Not like SJ's dream of swallowing KV taxpayers, but actual plans and proposals in LSDs and villages.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
As my mom has owned the family cottage in Pointe Du Chene since 1963 we hsve always as to whether Shediac would amalgamate with Shediac. The answer we always heard was Shediac would love the extra tax revenue, however the cost of laying pipes hooking up hydrants and paving the dirt roads would be too much for the town.
Shediac would have to take on administration of the existing services but there's no requirement to increase the LSDs services to match the municipality. Joining would have to go to a plebiscite, and I would guess residents would vote against joining as it would increase their property tax rates. Opposition would be particularly fierce from business and cottage owners since they wouldn't be eligible to vote.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 7:19 PM

I don't know the actual obligations a rural municipality would have towards an area that newly joined them. I would expect residents of the new area would very much expect improvements to infrastructure, but I have no clue if anything obliges the rural municipality to do so.
As for your second question, there is a very active effort to form a new rural municipality in an area stretching from Dundas (just beyond Moncton city limits out McLaughlin Drive) to the Cocagne area (or is it Grand-Digue?) It already went to a vote. The result of the vote was "no." However, the plans have not been abandoned.
And just as an afterthought, I would well imagine that a PDC-Shediac merger would be further complicated by the fact a nearby church owns a huge percentage of PDC's land mass. Sorry I cannot recall the exact percentage, but having seen the number a couple of times in the past, I recall being stunned at how much of the land isn't owned by the people who live there, but is leased from the church.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 7:44 PM

Not sure how applicable it is, but in 2014 Chateau Heights (McLeod Hill) voted to join Fredericton. (This is in teh north west part of the city). They joined in 2018 after the city upgraded the sewer and water supply.

Here's a website the city made describing what was going on for the new city-residents. Including some details in the upgrades the city did to prepare for them joining.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know the actual obligations a rural municipality would have towards an area that newly joined them. I would expect residents of the new area would very much expect improvements to infrastructure, but I have no clue if anything obliges the rural municipality to do so.
As for your second question, there is a very active effort to form a new rural municipality in an area stretching from Dundas (just beyond Moncton city limits out McLaughlin Drive) to the Cocagne area (or is it Grand-Digue?) It already went to a vote. The result of the vote was "no." However, the plans have not been abandoned.
And just as an afterthought, I would well imagine that a PDC-Shediac merger would be further complicated by the fact a nearby church owns a huge percentage of PDC's land mass. Sorry I cannot recall the exact percentage, but having seen the number a couple of times in the past, I recall being stunned at how much of the land isn't owned by the people who live there, but is leased from the church.
St. martins in the woods Anglican Church owns the land, mom has 2 leased lots.. she has a 99 year lease with the yearly lease over 1,000.00 a lot. she and my .dad should have purchased the land years ago. price per lot is/was north of 40,0000.00 PER lot in 2016.

Some people have told me, this parish is the richest protestant church in Canada. I cannot confirm this.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
So, Dundas Parish? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundas..._New_Brunswick

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:20 PM

There's a wood frame apartment about to start construction in this area.
More info on the www.questproperties.ca web site.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 7:10 PM

The Canadian town were cottages are still affordable.

Shediac mention:

https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/co...101313243.html

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post

Any idea how many floors this building will be? I checked the website and did not see this info.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 8:58 PM

Proposed apartment building on Riverside Drive with underground parking

https://shediac.ca/images/ArreteZ144...avecannexe.pdf

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 11:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

50 units and five storeys - not bad.

This building would also be highly visible from the Giant Lobster monument, the lobster eco-centre (under construction) and to inbound traffic on Main Street as you pass over the bridge.

This is also the third apartment project (totalling five buildings) soon to begin construction in the town. All totalled, that will bring over 350 new housing units on line within the town in the next several years.

The character of Shediac is changing............

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 2, 2021 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:54 AM

Looks like another 3 apartment buildings with indoor parking are planned on greenwood drive

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:18 AM

A few more proposed projects in Shediac

190 bed nursing home

https://www.nbse.ca/media-planning/m...rt-20-2661.pdf

A 4 storey apartment

https://www.nbse.ca/media-planning/m...ort-21-024.pdf

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post

I noticed this morning a construction trailer and excavator on site

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces