HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:03 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Is that a success or a failure? Depends on how you look at it. 30 people wouldn't even fill a highway coach. The fact that the schedule does not match those working 9-5 jobs and yet they can get 30 people a day speaks loudly. If I were in the Metrolinks office and looking at this, I would adjust the schedule to work better for real commuting and then just watch the numbers climb.
Makes me wonder why they didn't extend the service using GO buses. Obviously trains are a lot more efficient than buses relative to their capacity, but I'd be shocked if a 6 car GO train didn't use more energy than a GO bus. And considering that the train is so much slower than driving I can't see much advantage of a train compared to just running buses but at greater frequency.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Makes me wonder why they didn't extend the service using GO buses. Obviously trains are a lot more efficient than buses relative to their capacity, but I'd be shocked if a 6 car GO train didn't use more energy than a GO bus. And considering that the train is so much slower than driving I can't see much advantage of a train compared to just running buses but at greater frequency.
There are no direct, divided highways to St Mary's or Stratford. Mind you, I agreed that it does confuse me why the train was first. The only reason I can think of is that they really see a high number of people using it. The only issue with the GO train is the timing in and out of Union. People will ride the 4 hour train to get downtown if it works for them.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:21 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
There are no direct, divided highways to St Mary's or Stratford. Mind you, I agreed that it does confuse me why the train was first. The only reason I can think of is that they really see a high number of people using it. The only issue with the GO train is the timing in and out of Union. People will ride the 4 hour train to get downtown if it works for them.
Oh yeah I forgot about them. They're pretty small communities so hopefully they're worth it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Toronto Star story this weekend saying the recently launched London-Toronto GO train is running around 30 passengers a day. Story is paywalled so I can only see the first 2 paragraphs, no idea what else it says.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...l-ttc-bus.html
Clearly Go needs to look into some of the used BUD dayliner cars that could be refurbished and put into service on this line.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Oh yeah I forgot about them. They're pretty small communities so hopefully they're worth it.
It isn't about them either, it is about London. They have 2 choices, this route, or the CP route through Brantford. I'll bet they would love to go through Brantford, but I'll also bet that CP doesn't want them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Clearly Go needs to look into some of the used BUD dayliner cars that could be refurbished and put into service on this line.
Find a few not already spoken for. Most have gone to scrap.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 8:15 AM

Quote:
It isn't about them either, it is about London. They have 2 choices, this route, or the CP route through Brantford. I'll bet they would love to go through Brantford, but I'll also bet that CP doesn't want them to.
CN owns the tracks through Brantford. The CP line from London runs through Cambridge, and eventually becomes the GO Milton line.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
CN owns the tracks through Brantford. The CP line from London runs through Cambridge, and eventually becomes the GO Milton line.
That is the one I mean. My mistake. Mind you, the Brantford CN route would be good too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada