HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The new hospital will be larger than the current St. Pauls (I presume), but I don't remember how many people will be employed there. Never-the-less, that huge influx of people working at St. Pauls will transform the area. We should see a slew of new businesses moving in along Main, Gore, Georgia, and hopefully Keefer. It will start to happen relatively soon too, as there will be 1000's of people there for the construction of the hospital.

Right now I would consider Chinatown a functional neighbourhood, but it is still quite sketchy. The new St. Pauls, plus the development of the viaduct lands will transform Chinatown (with Pender Street being the centrepiece) into one of the most vibrant and character rich neighbourhoods in the country.
It'll only have 115 new beds but more modern and better designed unlike the patchtwork layout of the current hospital. Total of 548 beds.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
The new hospital will be larger than the current St. Pauls (I presume), but I don't remember how many people will be employed there. Never-the-less, that huge influx of people working at St. Pauls will transform the area. We should see a slew of new businesses moving in along Main, Gore, Georgia, and hopefully Keefer. It will start to happen relatively soon too, as there will be 1000's of people there for the construction of the hospital.

Right now I would consider Chinatown a functional neighbourhood, but it is still quite sketchy. The new St. Pauls, plus the development of the viaduct lands will transform Chinatown (with Pender Street being the centrepiece) into one of the most vibrant and character rich neighbourhoods in the country.
Yes this will be the biggest "gentrification" push we've seen in one big boom. The demand for housing by thousands of high income people now working there will be big.

Similarly I wonder what the West End will look like in ~10 years.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
It'll only have 115 new beds but more modern and better designed unlike the patchtwork layout of the current hospital. Total of 548 beds.
I believe there is also at least one floor of future space built into the design.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I believe there is also at least one floor of future space built into the design.
I think there are added wings/buildings on the campus but not another layer of floors.

https://council.vancouver.ca/2017061...ents/cfsc1.pdf

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:

Where do you think all the less vibrant characters who already live there will go?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Where do you think all the less vibrant characters who already live there will go?
Somewhere for sure, but I do find that they prefer to hang out around their own kind of people and will not congregate as densely in areas where their issues are highlighted in contrast to those around them. That's why downtown is extra-sketchy lately: there's not enough non-using people.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 12:22 AM

The redevelopment of the viaducts and any remaining developable land next to False Creek will probably be more important in the transformation of the area.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Yes this will be the biggest "gentrification" push we've seen in one big boom. The demand for housing by thousands of high income people now working there will be big.

Similarly I wonder what the West End will look like in ~10 years.
The West End doesn't really rely on the hospital to give it vibrancy, it is a sought-after area in its own right. The younger people who live there and work at the hospital still have an easy commute to the new site as well, it's not like it's moving to Mission or something. The new location will be helped by the hospital development, and the old site will be just fine and get some new development as well, without the crumbling dinosaur of a hospital

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I think there are added wings/buildings on the campus but not another layer of floors.

https://council.vancouver.ca/2017061...ents/cfsc1.pdf
That's true, probably one floor's worth of square footage though.

The new tower in Surrey had entire wings with brand new beds, equipment, etc. that were dark for a year before they could fund it operationally. BC Children's had something similar but I believe it was funded faster.

A lot will depend on the government in power when SPH opens and what else is going on.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
The West End doesn't really rely on the hospital to give it vibrancy, it is a sought-after area in its own right. The younger people who live there and work at the hospital still have an easy commute to the new site as well, it's not like it's moving to Mission or something. The new location will be helped by the hospital development, and the old site will be just fine and get some new development as well, without the crumbling dinosaur of a hospital
Sure people love to live near the beach and the city, but the impact of moving thousands of high paying jobs will have downstream impacts on the local economy and area rents.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Sure people love to live near the beach and the city, but the impact of moving thousands of high paying jobs will have downstream impacts on the local economy and area rents.
i assume businesses that rely on the constant business of a 24/7 365 hospital will suffer the most. it is hard to replace that with any jobs, no matter how many you build. the area will probably see a temporary downturn at least until all the replacement buildings are developed.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 8:40 AM

Advance warning: office towers on the site can't exceed 5 FSR (e.g. the Hootsuite campus).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Advance warning: office towers on the site can't exceed 5 FSR (e.g. the Hootsuite campus).
The first project on a privately owned site has already been proposed on Prior St. It's a similar density to the Burrard Street office building being built across from the existing St Paul's. I think there are locations for commercial office space within the CD-1 rezoning for the hospital too, but so far we've only seen the plans for the main hospital complex.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 6:17 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

when do we expect to see excavation start? there seems to have been some staking done on the WEST side of the site.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
when do we expect to see excavation start? there seems to have been some staking done on the WEST side of the site.
I understand they are still in the process of picking a bid from the 2(?) that were submitted. They could be doing more testing as a part of the negotiation process.

I would expect to see shovels in the ground in mid-late 2021.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 6:23 AM

Surprised nobody picked up on this yet.

Quote:
The new St. Paul’s Hospital announces Design Builder

Posted On: Tuesday February 9, 2021

PCL Construction has been selected to build the new St. Paul’s Hospital at 1002 Station Street in Vancouver. The selection of PCL Construction follows an extensive evaluation of two teams shortlisted in the fall of 2019 to design, build and partially finance the new hospital.

Construction is expected to begin early this summer and completion is expected in late 2026.

St. Paul’s Hospital will continue to operate at full capacity at its current site on Burrard Street until the new hospital is fully operational and ready to welcome patients.

It’s anticipated final terms of the contract will be complete and signed off by the end of February 2021. Renderings of the new hospital will be made public after the agreement is finalized.

A fairness advisor, John Singleton, Q.C., of Singleton Urquhart LLP, was appointed to oversee and monitor the entire procurement process to ensure it was fair and followed the requirements outlined in the request for proposals. The report of the fairness advisor concluded that the process for selecting the preferred proponent was fair, reasonable and appropriate.

As part of Providence Health Care, the new St. Paul’s Hospital will continue the tradition of providing patient and family centred health care to all British Columbians.
Source: http://thenewstpauls.ca/the-new-st-p...esign-builder/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 8:22 AM

Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:50 AM

PCL have signage and Gate numbers assigned, and there are a couple of containers on site. They might be able to start site preparation and excavation before the final building designs are approved.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 7:19 PM

Construction starts today. Completion 2027.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Construction starts today. Completion 2027.
With new renderings from Providence Health Care. A notable change in the orientation of the layout from earlier designs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver