HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 8:52 PM
-

Project Number47610Project
1216- 20 Chartres St.
New Orleans, LA 70116Part 1:
Received:
03/05/2024
Part 2:
Received:
Fee Received:

Part 3:
Received:
Fee Received:

Project Number 47617
Project
1222- 26 Chartres St.
New Orleans, LA 70116
Part 1:
Received:
03/05/2024

Part 2:
Received:
Fee Received:

Part 3:
Received:
Fee Received:

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 8:53 PM
-

Description
THE WHITNEY BANK PROJECT INCLUDES MULTIPLE HISTORICAL BUILDINGS ON A SINGLE SITE AND CONSTRUCTED IN 1909 WITH AN APPROXIMATE AGGREGATE AREA OF 439,732 SQ.FT. THE CURRENT OCCUPANCY OF THE BUILDINGS IS BUSINESS AND MOSTLY CONTAIN OFFICESPACE. THE INTENT OF THE PROJECT IS TO RENOVATE BUILDINGS A, C & D FOR RESIDENTIAL USE. OCCUPANCY IS BEING CHANGED FROM GROUP B OCCUPANCY TO GROUP R-2 OCCUPANCY. BUILDING 'A' IS A14-STORY BUILDING WITH BASEMENT AND MEZZANINE, BUILDING 'C' IS A 1-STORY BUILDING WITH MEZZANINE AND BUILDING 'D' IS A 4-STORY BUILDING WITH MEZZANINE. AREAS WITHIN THESE BUILDINGS ARE TO BE MODIFIED ARE AS FOLLOWS; SEE SHEET G1.001 FOR DIAGRAM OF BUILDING LCOATIONS AND HEIGHTS.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Project Number 47638
Project Federal Reserve Bank Building
147 Carondelet St.
New Orleans, LA 70112
Part 1:
Received:
03/12/2024

Part 2:
Received:
Fee Received:

Part 3:
Received:
Fee Received:

What’s going on there ?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:47 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
Not sure how to post a picture, but got an NPP notice for a conditional use to allow a 13,500sqft grocery store on the corner of Freret and Napoleon in the old school building, which would be torn down. Also need a conditional use to allow sale of alcohol in grocery store under 20k sqft.

13,500sqft seems small to be an aldi, there is already a Rouses on Freret. Would seem that 13,500 is the average size of trader joes... let the speculation begin
nick does it say “specialty grocery store “ in the npp? if not then it’s not trader joe’s

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 3:58 PM

I want everyone's thoughts on this because I'm bothered by it: https://www.nola.com/news/business/n...7d9e49977.html

Here's my issue: "The population drop also comes as the New Orleans-Metairie region is still adjusting to a major change by the Census Bureau. Until 2020, St. Tammany Parish was considered part of the metro region. The suburban parish is now considered its own metro area, however, with a population of 275,583."

Why is St. Tammany its own metro area now? I fundamentally disagree with this -- it is unequivocally part of the New Orleans metro. Other cities have way more sprawling metro boundaries, and those municipalities are included in their respective metropolitan areas (Atlanta, Houston, Dallas). Why is New Orleans (being treated) differently? If there wasn't a body of water separating us, and instead, it was contiguous to Orleans, I don't think this would be an issue. Losing St. Tammany has now brought the official MSA-designated metro area to < 1 million. I do not understand at all why this major change occurred.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
I want everyone's thoughts on this because I'm bothered by it: https://www.nola.com/news/business/n...7d9e49977.html

Here's my issue: "The population drop also comes as the New Orleans-Metairie region is still adjusting to a major change by the Census Bureau. Until 2020, St. Tammany Parish was considered part of the metro region. The suburban parish is now considered its own metro area, however, with a population of 275,583."

Why is St. Tammany its own metro area now? I fundamentally disagree with this -- it is unequivocally part of the New Orleans metro. Other cities have way more sprawling metro boundaries, and those municipalities are included in their respective metropolitan areas (Atlanta, Houston, Dallas). Why is New Orleans (being treated) differently? If there wasn't a body of water separating us, and instead, it was contiguous to Orleans, I don't think this would be an issue. Losing St. Tammany has now brought the official MSA-designated metro area to < 1 million. I do not understand at all why this major change occurred.
I agree and while there are definitely issues that the region faces, I can't help distrusting the census. Remember they were found to have consistently undercounted the population's recovery after Katrina when the numbers were challenged. It seems the metro change was based on commuting patterns from the 2020 census, when of course, we were in the middle of lockdowns.

I think the census' methodology doesn't capture an accurate picture of the area. For one, measuring in the middle of the summer doesn't capture the large number of college students and part-time residents who might be living here 9 months out of 12. It's also easy to see the huge number of out of state plates from people who live here but register their vehicles out of state for cheaper insurance.

Compare other datasets. USPS data shows Orleans having nearly 4000 more active residential addresses from April 2020 to July 2023, yet the Census estimates a population decline of nearly 20,000. St. Tammany shows about 7000 more residential addresses and the Census estimates growth of 11,000. Look at employment figures - the state has been putting up record numbers and the city has been doing well too. It just does make sense that there would be a significant population decline.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 2:46 AM

Census estimates are notoriously terrible not only here, but also for most areas of the country. Take them with a large grain of salt. I only reference the official enumerated census data from 2020 for any research purposes, and will continue to do so until the next census in 2030.

The removal of St. Tammany makes zero percent sense, and shows the folly of census metro area definitions. Much like San Jose, CA being a separate metro area from the rest of the Bay Area. St. Tammany is an essential and fully integrated part of the New Orleans region.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post

Thank You!!! They Also took out Tangipahoa Parish as well, another parish that is integrated in the Metro. TBH Atlanta has 20 counties in its metro which is the same landmass as a New Orleans - Baton Rouge metro area which would be about 2.5 million People would put that metro around the size of Nashville & Charlotte metros. So I don’t even get why that isn’t considered a metro like the twin cities are.

I know GNOinc & Baton Rouge chamber were working together to try and make that a thing few years ago. I assume they are waiting on the commuter rail line to be completed to have data backing that push.

https://gnoinc.org/business-climate/...unding%20areas.

Last edited by Gee32; Mar 17, 2024 at 6:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
Thank You!!! They Also took out Tangipahoa Parish as well, another parish that is integrated in the Metro. TBH Atlanta has 20 counties in its metro which is the same landmass as a New Orleans - Baton Rouge metro area which would be about 2.5 million People would put that metro around the size of Nashville & Charlotte metros. So I don’t even get why that isn’t considered a metro like the twin cities are.

I know GNOinc & Baton Rouge chamber were working together to try and make that a thing few years ago. I assume they are waiting on the commuter rail line to be completed to have data backing that push.

https://gnoinc.org/business-climate/...unding%20areas.
I think the main sticking point would be the distance between the BR and NOLA metros which is about an hour or so commute. I’m no expert; but can two cities that are an hour apart come together as one super region ?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 1:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDot View Post
I think the main sticking point would be the distance between the BR and NOLA metros which is about an hour or so commute. I’m no expert; but can two cities that are an hour apart come together as one super region ?
Absolutely you can combing the two... this is what makes comparisons of metro areas so stupud... its not apples to apples at all and many areas cheat. Sure our metro is 3 million too (looking at you Raleigh) if we combine huge land areas.

Also, the Census Bureau is now using the term CSA alot in addition to MSA. NOLA CSA is 1.5 million

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
There are places here in the Atlanta area that are over an hour away and it's considered metro Atlanta. Nobody here calls it Atlanta, though lol.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
nick does it say “specialty grocery store “ in the npp? if not then it’s not trader joe’s
Doesnt say "specialty" but does say "small format grocer" and "the small format grocer model utilizes a smaller space than a traditional grocery store and carries a curated group of high-quality products".

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
There are many metro regions that people commute 1-2 hours to city center every day. Also some easy examples of cities that can easily be 1hr away and combined would be Baltimore-Washington. They are both separated and combined for various statistical measurements. Or Boston and Providence RI can be lumped together. Another would be Raleigh/Durham/Winston-Salem, i think sometimes called research triangle or something like that.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
There are many metro regions that people commute 1-2 hours to city center every day. Also some easy examples of cities that can easily be 1hr away and combined would be Baltimore-Washington. They are both separated and combined for various statistical measurements. Or Boston and Providence RI can be lumped together. Another would be Raleigh/Durham/Winston-Salem, i think sometimes called research triangle or something like that.
Pretty much. SELA should be situated the same way. But that would take forward thinking, collaboration, and common sense.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 11:47 PM

🚨SOURCES🚨

A high ranking City of NOLA official says the River District developers are on a tight clock. Source says Top Golf officials are concerned the facility won’t be ready to go by Super Bowl. The source says that the River District as a whole hinges on TG being complete.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco96 View Post
������SOURCES������

A high ranking City of NOLA official says the River District developers are on a tight clock. Source says Top Golf officials are concerned the facility won’t be ready to go by Super Bowl. The source says that the River District as a whole hinges on TG being complete.
I heard this as a well. I want to know what specifically this means. The plot thickens!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:06 AM

Man… does anything get done in this city? LoL Lemme guess, more in- fighting and petty squabbles between the developers and residents holding up TG?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:14 AM

Hopefully it gets done man ! Just in general.

I’m
Not even worried bout it being done by the Super Bowl. Hurricane season right round the corner !!!

We should have more info in about a month or so.

But if it was going to be done by Super Bowl it needs to start like now and it has to be a quiet hurricane season

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:26 AM

Well they also have a major commitment/ agreement with Shell to build that new office high rise - so they better get the ball rolling.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 4:34 AM

I presume the River District developers are just trying to get leverage over recent opposition, but this is a tremendously bad sign for the overall development. I don't see how the whole project can hinge on TG. Would be a massive failure if the only product of the River District is Top Golf, with none of the promised work force housing etc. I'd prefer it remained undeveloped if all they can do is top golf.

Gensler is currently working on the facility needs assessment for the Smoothie King center. Assuming they conclude the facility is inadequate for an NBA franchise, I would not be surprised if we see the River District parcels announced for a new stadium given the inability to develop anything else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations