HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ I like it too for the neat materials, but would rather ask - who paid for it? Local students on their loans or their families when they can afford fees, I guess. Maybe taxpayers took part of the funding to some extent too, because California is supposed to be highly "liberal".

Even young, unknown architects may design very nice things if you grant them the money to do so, huh.

This is a prestigious higher-education establishment anyway. It is kinda renowned up to Europe / my country too, so they want to look good to be up to the reputation, which is normal.

It's obviously a very precious thing to have good establishments like this to properly train effective engineers and researchers. It's worth the expense.
I just wish said architects & designers would take that same devotion to spend more of their time (& money?) into designing higher quality buildings everywhere else in this region.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 2:12 AM

Townhouses in Glassell Park. Sucks they couldn't incorporate the existing commercial building. That's another commercial use gone forever now. We need to do something about these shops in newly residential zoned areas. It's destroying the possible walkability of this town.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...4d-118.2401164

GP Townhouses by Radio 5, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Townhouses in Glassell Park. Sucks they couldn't incorporate the existing commercial building. That's another commercial use gone forever now. We need to do something about these shops in newly residential zoned areas. It's destroying the possible walkability of this town.
Completely agree. I think everyone is so obsessed with housing, housing, housing, that important considerations like this get missed.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 8:11 PM

TopGolf adds Ontario location to previously planned El Segundo facility, both to open in early 2022

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021...ndo-locations/

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Awesome shots of our growing Century City skyline after the rain from Santa Monica airport.

^^^
Awesome pics. Pretty clear that the new Century Plaza twins are at least as tall as the theme towers across the street (571').The fact that they are closer to the observer in this photo from the SM airport and may be at a slightly higher base elevation doesn't necessarily mean they are taller, although they might be (600' is the current height limit in CC as colemonkee informed us due to the airport). The 537' height given in the 2021 World Almanac seems incorrectly low as the photo seems to prove. Somewhere between 571-600 feet likely height.

The World Almanac makes mistakes. In the same table, they have the 50 story residential tower at 820 S. Hill in DTLA below 550', when it is actually well above 600'. They also list the Wilshire Grand having only 62 floors, when it actually has over 70. So, only 537' for the Century Plaza twins?....highly unlikely. They also don't always list buildings under construction, which they are supposed to. For example, the 64 story Fig at 8th tower (Brookfield) is not in the latest Almanac even though it is now above ground.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 14, 2021 at 11:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Completely agree. I think everyone is so obsessed with housing, housing, housing, that important considerations like this get missed.
I don't understand how shops in the neighbor could destroy walkability. To me, they would increase walkability - think grocery, restaurants, and drug stores within walking distance. They could always renovate the commercial building and put housing on top - but it make sense to me to have stores within the vicinity of housing.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I don't understand how shops in the neighbor could destroy walkability. To me, they would increase walkability - think grocery, restaurants, and drug stores within walking distance. They could always renovate the commercial building and put housing on top - but it make sense to me to have stores within the vicinity of housing.
I think that you may have misunderstood. If I understand correctly, the point was that it was a commercial business replaced with housing and they wanted the replacement to include the business and that walkability was being destroyed by not including businesses.

Personally I'm fine with townhomes not having businesses underneath. Not every development needs to incorporate shops, especially at this size.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 10:10 PM

Belmont Plaza Olympic Pool replacement to proceed pending final design approval

https://lbpost.com/news/belmont-pool...tal-commission

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:23 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:06 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ This is amazing. They can't build this one fast enough for me.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
How awesome does this look?

Very

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 11:18 PM
Architectural Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I just wish said architects & designers would take that same devotion to spend more of their time (& money?) into designing higher quality buildings everywhere else in this region.
we try but the Owner/client has a final say, especially when the contractor is trying to substitute materials/finishes for cheaper ones because they were the lowest bidder. Not every architect has the same luxury as Gehry or has a chance to work with a client who was deep pockets to do architectural "masterpieces". It is also true that some designers shouldn't be in charge of designing buildings, but clients/developers are looking to build as many units as efficiently and as cheaply as possible.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 7:24 AM

Snapped this Thursday evening

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Nice! This already looks great, but the adjacent Beverly Hilton plan will add that last bit of pizazz it needs.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Nice pic. Was this taken from the "Mt. Olympus" area if you care to say? Have you reached a final opinion on whether the Century Plaza twins are at least as tall ( or taller) than the triangle theme towers? You have seen them more than anyone, from all angles. They appear taller in most pics, but that could be a slightly higher base elevation at work.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 22, 2021 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Nice pic. Was this taken from the "Mt. Olympus" area if you care to say? Have you reached a final opinion on whether the Century Plaza twins are at least as tall ( or taller) than the triangle theme towers? You have seen them more than anyone, from all angles. They appear taller in most pics, but that could be a slightly higher base elevation at work.
I snapped both at the top of Sunset Plaza just off of Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood. i think the new towers are slightly taller.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 10:00 AM

Snapped these in Century City on Sunday

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:45 AM

Quote:

Very nice photos. Soon the crowds will return as the pandemic fades. Just like a century ago. Our second Roaring '20s?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 6:23 AM

I saw a new construction crane in Century City today. Century Park West maybe? Or is that the subway?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:50 PM

Huh, I didn't know they switched 10131 West Constellation Boulevard back to an office tower instead of the two residential ones.

https://planning.lacity.org/pdiscase...e8558211cd/pdd

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations