HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisborn View Post
What's the latest on the CA building. 13 acres of prime property right next to edge district. Any word on who is looking at it or has interests?

https://www2.colliers.com/en/Propert...103/USA1042444

My dream for it would have been the cornerstone of a right sized Liberty Bowl replacement with a retractable fabric roof and accompanying new convention center and hotel.

My wist list also include it just being a soccer stadium that could also double up as a venue for the Beale Street Music Fest but would likely piss off the Grizz in the process.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Competing developers now teaming on Crosstown Mound
By Tom Bailey/ The Daily Memphian

Story - https://dailymemphian.com/section/bu...elopers-now-te

photo (Jim Weber/Daily Memphian)

photo (Jim Weber/Daily Memphian)

image (Courtesy: Crosstown Concourse)

image (Courtesy: Crosstown Concourse)

Talk about a perfect place to build a visually stunning mid rise mixed use up to twenty stories for east bound folks to look in awe at.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
My dream for it would have been the cornerstone of a right sized Liberty Bowl replacement with a retractable fabric roof and accompanying new convention center and hotel.

My wist list also include it just being a soccer stadium that could also double up as a venue for the Beale Street Music Fest but would likely piss off the Grizz in the process.
Soccer ⚽️ stadium would be amazing right there along with the Memphis sports museum incorporated into the build out. High cotton is right across in the hot edge district and it would give the fans a lot to choose from before and after games. Union row will
give the infrastructure needed for a stadium to be there with parking hotel and retail

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Soccer ⚽️ stadium would be amazing right there along with the Memphis sports museum incorporated into the build out. High cotton is right across in the hot edge district and it would give the fans a lot to choose from before and after games. Union row will
give the infrastructure needed for a stadium to be there with parking hotel and retail
Wayward are u thinking 5,000 or 10,000 seat soccer stadium. I'm thinking it could be a good time to pursue A NWSL team which would give a new stadium more dates and more revenue. Austin built a 5,00 seater for there usl franchise but Louisville went 11,000 + I'm thinking we are in the 10,000 mark

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
What's the latest on the CA building. 13 acres of prime property right next to edge district. Any word on who is looking at it or has interests?

https://www2.colliers.com/en/Propert...103/USA1042444
Last thing I heard...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.com...amp/1746031001

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Wayward are u thinking 5,000 or 10,000 seat soccer stadium. I'm thinking it could be a good time to pursue A NWSL team which would give a new stadium more dates and more revenue. Austin built a 5,00 seater for there usl franchise but Louisville went 11,000 + I'm thinking we are in the 10,000 mark
The key to building an 11,300-seat soccer stadium in Louisville is that $130 million is being spent by developers in the mixed-use project (no less than $45 million for the stadium itself) and they have to repay another $15 million for the land which the city gets to keep should the project fail. The public partnership saw the city issue $30 million in bonds and the state created a TIF for $22 million towards the stadium itself with more for the rest of the development. No offense, but I don't believe the team is even profitable. Considering our finances, I don't see Memphis becoming involved with something on this scale for a USL team. Maybe a small public partnership to support infrastructure, but first show us the private money for a small soccer stadium. Until then, it's more nights of activation downtown at beautiful Autozone Park which, at this point, is absolute best case scenario for the city. I know many are glad to have a USL franchise, but Louisville's finances must be a lot better than Memphis' to go that deep and I get the feeling there's a bit of risk on the private side. I'll be cautiously watching and hope it works out great for everyone involved. A 5,000-seat USL soccer stadium for a rich growing city like Austin sounds about right.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Oct 15, 2019 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Nice, I never heard about any of this or any recent news about Topgolf.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 8:33 PM

Yeah, Austin's new USL stadium looks to be completely privately financed and only cost $5 million. Of course, I would be completely open to this type of proposal if the city only had to sure up infrastructure. Although, I think some would still argue for the atmosphere & downtown activation of Autozone Park. I just don't see the need unless the league eventually requires it. I would hope to see Memphis more focused on getting major concerts & minor league American football back in the Liberty Bowl and possibly reactivating the Mid South Coliseum. That is if the proposed sportsplex multi-purpose center & Graceland masterplan doesn't render the MSC even further obsolete.

Austin Bold FC Stadium Breaks Ground
By Zach Spedden/ Soccer Stadium Digest

Quote:
Silva said the cost of the stadium will be $5 million, not including infrastructure that is already in place at COTA, such as concession stands and parking lots. “We want something we can fill up from the start with an electric atmosphere of about 5,000 people and also have the ability to grow,” said Bobby Epstein, the majority owner of the team and COTA chairman. “We’ve left ourselves some of that flexibility.”
Story - https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018...breaks-ground/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Oct 19, 2019 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Austin's new USL stadium looks to be completely privately financed and only costs $5 million. Of course, I would be completely open to this type of proposal if the city only had to sure up infrastructure. Although, I think some would still argue for the atmosphere & downtown activation of Autozone Park.

Austin Bold FC Stadium Breaks Ground
By Zach Spedden/ Soccer Stadium Digest

I have always been smitten with Davenport's minor league stadium. Ferris wheel and whatnot in the outfield. Autozone should do that as well. A mini amusement park a ll themed to the Rebirds or baseball. A baseball ferris wheel like at Comerica , a carousel with cardinals to ride, a shot tower called Pop Up, a small scale launched coaster called line drive,

But, amusements modeled after Tivoli Park on the upper end of Mud Island to compliment an aquarium would be the best bet.

Soccer, 10,000 seat, easily expandable with the Hope's of holding upwards if 30k fir larger acts for Beale Street Music Fest.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Soccer, 10,000 seat, easily expandable with the Hope's of holding upwards if 30k fir larger acts for Beale Street Music Fest.
FedEx Forum (19,000 for concerts), Autozone Park (~15,000 for concerts), Handy Park (~3,000), Orpheum Theater (2,500) & New Daisy Theater (1,000) are all right there. Those facilities together can actually hold near the entire daily Tom Lee Park crowd during the Beale Street Music fest which has never needed to expand outside the park for major headliners.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
I have always been smitten with Davenport's minor league stadium. Ferris wheel and whatnot in the outfield. Autozone should do that as well. A mini amusement park a ll themed to the Rebirds or baseball. A baseball ferris wheel like at Comerica , a carousel with cardinals to ride, a shot tower called Pop Up, a small scale launched coaster called line drive,

But, amusements modeled after Tivoli Park on the upper end of Mud Island to compliment an aquarium would be the best bet.

To answer a previous statement. Usl bylaws do require a team to be in a soccer specific stadium by year 3 or have a plan and path to be in one to control revenues. Autozone park is owned by city but operated by trinity sports which cuts into revenues. Wayward I'm thinking about something along the lines of this

https://www.frameweb.com/news/bord-s...-small-stadium

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
To answer a previous statement. Usl bylaws do require a team to be in a soccer specific stadium by year 3 or have a plan and path to be in one to control revenues. Autozone park is owned by city but operated by trinity sports which cuts into revenues. Wayward I'm thinking about something along the lines of this https://www.frameweb.com/news/bord-s...-small-stadium
That is really nice. I'd imagine it would cost what, $60 - $70 million at least? Trinity Sports is the owner of the Memphis Redbirds & Memphis 901FC and yes, Memphis Redbirds, LLC operates Autozone Park with a sweet deal from the city who acquired it for cheap from the original owners which would have to be positive for revenue. I surely thought some type of deal would've been structured for the team to stay in the stadium. Why the league would push the owners out of the park they operate to finance a lesser stadium makes no sense to me. Also, I haven't heard the slightest mention of it in local press. Imagine having to build an Austin Bold-like stadium (losing 5,000 seats) OR move to Mike Rose Soccer Stadium (losing 7,500 seats) just to leave this behind:

photo www.memphis901fc.com

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Oct 16, 2019 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:17 AM

Quote:
That is really nice. I'd imagine it would cost what, $60 - $70 million at least? Trinity Sports is the owner of the Memphis Redbirds & Memphis 901FC and yes, Memphis Redbirds, LLC operates Autozone Park with a sweet deal from the city who acquired it for cheap from the original owners which would have to be positive for revenue. I surely thought some type of deal would've been structured for the team to stay in the stadium. Why the league would push the owners out of the park they operate to finance a lesser stadium makes no sense to me. Also, I haven't heard the slightest mention of it in local press. Imagine having to build an Austin Bold-like stadium (losing 5,000 seats) OR move to Mike Rose Soccer Stadium (losing 7,500 seats) just to leave this behind:

photo www.memphis901fc.com
[IMG]https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/photo/e883-10916

6678/Photo_Sep_01__7_23_16_PM_large.jpg[/IMG]
Here is a link. The reason Fresno, Austin, Louisville and others are building soccer specific stadiums is because
the usl require sss

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019...e-in-question/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:27 AM

Also the stadium in Budapest was around the 60millon figur. We would have to have a little bigger seating capacity of 8500-10,000 especially if they pursue NWSL

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Here is a link. The reason Fresno, Austin, Louisville and others are building soccer specific stadiums is because
the usl require sss
Right, I'm aware that it's supposedly a requirement, but thought Memphis might possibly be an exception considering the extraordinary situation with the ownership being the stadium operator and their baseball entity already paying the bills. If not, where's the plans & site for a new 10,000-seat stadium we're suppose to be playing within the next 24 months? Why hasn't the USL, Trinity Sports/ 901 FC, City of Memphis or any media whatsoever said anything about it? Louisville took 5 years of debate, planning, financing & construction. Austin Bold FC announced their 5,000-seat stadium a year before they started playing matches and it took 2 years to become reality. Still, even if Austin's quick & modest approach was the only financial option available for 901 FC, why would the USL force them out of a stadium they already operate with 80% - 100% more seats and virtually no rent? Also, no waivers for artificial turf or reduced field dimensions. Autozone Park just makes so much financial & business sense for the USL, 901 FC & City of Memphis. If a soccer-specific stadium is indeed on the way, it seems odd that we've heard nothing of it. The few places to build would be the fairgrounds redevelopment, the former proposed Hilton site across from the FedEx Forum and possibly the previously mentioned Washington Bottoms & Commercial Appeal areas. I guess we shall see. If legally inevitable, I hope the 901 FC part of the organization is allowed to ride out their stay at Autozone Park for as long as absolutely possible to the benefit of all parties.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Oct 16, 2019 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:49 AM

EDGE board to vote on implementing TIF district in Raleigh
By Omer Yusuf/ The Daily Memphian

Quote:
The proposed TIF district would encompass a stretch of Austin Peay between Fairhaven Road to the south and Lakehurst on the north. A portion of property tax revenue collected within the proposed TIF district would be used to fund streets, sidewalks, parking spaces and utilities – among other infrastructure needs... City officials have said they expect the Raleigh Springs Town Center – located at the site of the old Raleigh Springs Mall at Austin Peay and Yale – to open early next year. The proposed 65-acre development includes a new Raleigh library, skate park, 11-acre lake and walking trail, and a police precinct/traffic station. The city has invested about $28 million on the development to this point. The expected cost of the development is about $45 million.
Story - https://dailymemphian.com/section/ne...ing-tif-distri

rendering (Courtesy OT Marshall Architects)

rendering (Courtesy OT Marshall Architects)

Story - https://dailymemphian.com/section/ne...ing-tif-distri

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
FedEx Forum (19,000 for concerts), Autozone Park (~15,000 for concerts), Handy Park (~3,000), Orpheum Theater (2,500) & New Daisy Theater (1,000) are all right there. Those facilities together can actually hold near the entire daily Tom Lee Park crowd during the Beale Street Music fest which has never needed to expand outside the park for major headliners.

They have actually said in the past that size limits the acts. Compare to New Orleans Jazz fest and the racetrack. They can't sell enough tickets due to space to cover major acts like you see at NO.

When I say 30k, I do not mean 30k seats, that includes thousands on the field itself and possible temp seating.

An open air stadium still gives you a festival vibe while the venues mentioned do not plus it is harder to control the concessions that way.

An open air, possible fabric/membrane retractable Covington of the whole The Star in Frisco type development

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Oct 16, 2019 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
They have actually said in the past that size limits the acts. Compare to New Orleans Jazz fest and the racetrack. They can't sell enough tickets due to space to cover major acts like you see at NO.

When I say 30k, I do not mean 30k seats, that includes thousands on the field itself and possible temp seating.

An open air stadium still gives you a festival vibe while the venues mentioned do not plus it is harder to control the concessions that way.

An open air, possible fabric/membrane retractable Covington of the whole The Star in Frisco type development
Yes I agree with the festival stance with Tom Lee park. Also they will not go public with a possible stadium until its imminent. Union row was a out of the public plan until it was concrete and solid however they were planning and meeting with LRK and others long before the public knew anything also if u remember usl was in the works a whole year before any public word came out. Michael heisley had visited Memphis several times and had preliminary discussions long before any public article or news stories came out. These deals are not done in the public first they are talked vetted and planned long before we know anything as the general public.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree with the festival stance with Tom Lee park. Also they will not go public with a possible stadium until its imminent. Union row was a out of the public plan until it was concrete and solid however they were planning and meeting with LRK and others long before the public knew anything also if u remember usl was in the works a whole year before any public word came out. Michael heisley had visited Memphis several times and had preliminary discussions long before any public article or news stories came out. These deals are not done in the public first they are talked vetted and planned long before we know anything as the general public.
Wayward here's a link to okc sss plan it includes the festival concept u mentioned.

https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=14898

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
They have actually said in the past that size limits the acts. Compare to New Orleans Jazz fest and the racetrack. They can't sell enough tickets due to space to cover major acts like you see at NO. When I say 30k, I do not mean 30k seats, that includes thousands on the field itself and possible temp seating. An open air stadium still gives you a festival vibe while the venues mentioned do not plus it is harder to control the concessions that way.
Logistically, you couldn't pull off a festival Like BSMF or NOJF inside of a stadium. I initially thought you were talking about additional stages. A major music festival has to be a large open park/ field (not a sports field) with multiple stages and room for everything else. The headliners for Nola Jazzfest this year were The Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews Band, Katy Perry, Jimmy Buffett, Chris Stapleton & Bob Seger. All acts that play the FedEx Forum, Bank Plus Amp, Beale Street Music Fest & Landers Center. Only the Rolling Stones could pull off a stadium tour, but rarely ever do anymore. They usually play FedEx Forum type venues. In fact, even though I would like to see the Liberty Bowl get back in the business of occasional concerts, stadium tours are far few in between these days. Most of the biggest artists on the planet will book indoor NBA-size arenas multiple nights in primary markets if necessary. And true, the Nola Jazzfest lasts 10 days in a larger facility. It is pretty much a one-of-a-kind annual event with no rivals, but doesn't really command "bigger" headliners, probably just more if at all. You'll see a lot of the same acts in Memphis. I've heard BSMF makes around 40,000 tickets available for each day, regularly hits over 100,000 in attendance for the 3-day event and the south stage in Tom Lee Park can pack in a huge crowd for the biggest/ latest headliner of the night.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Oct 17, 2019 at 3:05 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations