HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm not sure, of course, hence my post - but specific changes such as that, even overnight, can definitely be the result of climate change. We can see some changes, they're not all on a multiple-life time frame. When a highway collapses in melting permafrost in Yukon, that's climate change, even though it was fine last month and impassable today.

I'd be curious to see if the water in Brigus is warmer than it has been on average of the past years. Even less than a degree can cause change.
It’s true that there are “tipping points” where changes happen after you cross a certain threshold, and I know none of the particulars of this case, but in general you have to be careful with the current hysteria in the media about climate change. They are blaming EVERYTHING on climate change these days. If we warm 2C by the end of the century that means we’d be warming by about 0.025C per year. In the short term the changes are very small, but over the long term they could add up to a big problem. This is a very serious issue, but the hysteria we’re seeing today - “climate crisis” etc. - is almost all fearmongering rather than fact.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Yes they are a commercial venture which requires money. No surprise. So what is your agenda here?
Curious statement. If I'm understanding you correctly you're saying that you think it's ok for them to be dishonest and manipulative as long as they're trying to raise money for themselves. Have I got that right?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

0.025C isn't small, though. As global temperatures go, that's a significant change for a worldwide average. That could mean 6-7C changes, up or down, in certain areas.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
0.025C isn't small, though. As global temperatures go, that's a significant change for a worldwide average. That could mean 6-7C changes, up or down, in certain areas.
Small is a relative term. The IPCC picked the end of the century for a reason. They didn't pick it because we're at some kind of crisis point today, or even 10 years from now, or 20 years from now. Of course we need to work hard on this problem, and if you look back through this thread you'll see that we are, - although the media until very recently has had a lot of trouble acknowledging this - because a lot of the technologies we're developing will take some iterations to prefect, and some decades to roll out fully, but we're certainly not at any kind of climate crisis point today.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
No surprise. So what is your agenda here?
He's a tarsands shill. That's his agenda. He also likes to call clean renewable power "dirty".

(He's former SSPer Allan83, who got banned for being too much of a tarsands shill.)

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Right, it is interesting in it's own right. But we must not lose sight of what the actual problems are and what the solutions are. What is the actual problem with landfilling plastic that is solved by recycling? This plastic has already been recaptured, so it's not going in the ocean or otherwise littering, so the only other real problem that can be solved is a reduction in CO2 emissions.
This is great. This week I learned that recycling is a waste of energy and money. Why recycle when we can just bury everything in landfills?

I now understand that we already knew everything we needed to know in the 1950s - the pinnacle of our technological advancement.

This weekend I'm going to throw all my recycling bags into the garbage and relax in knowing I'm having no negative effect on the environment!

Thanks miloX2...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Yes they are a commercial venture which requires money. No surprise. So what is your agenda here?
His mission is defense of status quo fossil fuel extraction, specifically Alberta tar sands.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This is great. This week I learned that recycling is a waste of energy and money. Why recycle when we can just bury everything in landfills?

I now understand that we already knew everything we needed to know in the 1950s - the pinnacle of our technological advancement.

This weekend I'm going to throw all my recycling bags into the garbage and relax in knowing I'm having no negative effect on the environment!

Thanks miloX2...
To be clear, I'm not saying recycling is bad, just that we should be mindful of the reason we are doing it. Our number 1 priority is stopping climate change, reducing the amount of land used for landfill is a distant follower, really not a problem at all. So if certain recycling processes use more energy, produce more CO2, what is the point? You haven't yet answered that question.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Our number 1 priority is stopping climate change, reducing the amount of land used for landfill is a distant follower, really not a problem at all.
There are places in North America where we are running out of space to landfill our garbage, especially around larger eastern cities. Once a landfill has been decommissioned, it really can't be used for anything else. It will remain fallow for generations. Exporting our garbage also isn't an option (ask the Philippines).

Recycling should be employed as much as is economically feasible.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:30 PM

Reduce, reuse, recycle. In that order of priority.

Toxins can leach out of landfills and impact the surrounding area.

Materials like organics need to be separated because they just produce methane in landfills which is worse than CO2 for warming.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Recycling should be employed as much as is economically feasible.
Absolutely, that is the important point. If a specific recycling process isn't used currently, then that's probably because it isn't an efficient use of energy/resources. If there are externalities not included in the price, then that's where government needs to step in to make sure those costs are captured.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
To be clear, I'm not saying recycling is bad, just that we should be mindful of the reason we are doing it. Our number 1 priority is stopping climate change, reducing the amount of land used for landfill is a distant follower, really not a problem at all. So if certain recycling processes use more energy, produce more CO2, what is the point? You haven't yet answered that question.
What is the CO2 footprint of producing new plastics to replace those being lanfilled? How about the natural resources are being used to produce the new items? I suppose more plastics produced means more oil that can be sold by our oil-producing provinces so there's economic benefits (and I suspect the source of your motivation), but...

Here's a little info from an article I just came across:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0415144004.htm

Quote:
Plastics have surprisingly carbon-intense life cycles. The overwhelming majority of plastic resins come from petroleum, which requires extraction and distillation. Then the resins are formed into products and transported to market. All of these processes emit greenhouse gases, either directly or via the energy required to accomplish them. And the carbon footprint of plastics continues even after we've disposed of them. Dumping, incinerating, recycling and composting (for certain plastics) all release carbon dioxide. All told, the emissions from plastics in 2015 were equivalent to nearly 1.8 billion metric tons of CO2.
Quote:
In addition to diagnosing the problem, Suh and lead author Jiajia Zheng, a Bren School graduate student, evaluated four strategies for reducing plastic's carbon footprint.

Recycling offers perhaps the simplest solution. The emissions reductions from eliminating the need for new plastic outweigh the slightly higher emissions that come from processing the scrap. Currently, 90.5% of plastic goes un-recycled worldwide, a figure calculated by UC Santa Barbara industrial ecologist Roland Geyer, which made statistic of the year for 2018.

Additionally, MonctonRad's point regarding land use is valid. Maybe in the vast prairie provinces there are still large areas of undeveloped lands on which it is cheap to dump garbage, but that's not the case in all parts of the country - and even less-so in the more populous areas of the world. Many places have learned long ago that the world isn't a limitless dumping ground for all the crap that humans produce. Presumably Alberta will eventually learn that as well.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Claire View Post
OldDartmouthMark = Warren? Or maybe they're coworkers sitting side by side in St. Petersburg? They're both fake environmentalists who don't know enough to even fake a coherent argument, and they both seem to have the a hidden agenda. Hmmmm...
Nice. So now you're hurling insults.

I think some other members have stated it pretty clearly elsewhere in this thread as to where you're coming from. I can't take you seriously, so it's not worth my time to respond to you further.

Have a nice day.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:36 PM

Why do you keep accusing others of "being paid"? You're the only one here who looks like he's actually on a payroll (the big tarsands companies'). Everyone else seems genuine, regardless of which side of the argument they find themselves on.

Consider join dates. I joined twelve years ago and have been active pretty continuously since then, do you think I did that in order to oppose a pipeline project in 2019? It's pure nonsense.
Warren has been here for over twelve years.
OldDarthmouthMark, for over nine years.

On the other hand, your join date is from two months ago... now that's someone who could be on a specific mission.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau claire View Post
lol! Fake environmentalist exposed! I sure hope no one is paying you, because as well as having no idea what you're talking about you're very lame.
да, товарищ, я работаю из секретного бункера в санкт-петербурге, вы меня разобрались.

честно говоря, это самый нелепый разговор, с которым я встречался в интернете. спасибо за смешок!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
OldDartmouthMark = Warren? Or maybe they're coworkers sitting side by side in St. Petersburg? They're both fake environmentalists who don't know enough to even fake a coherent argument, and they both seem to have the a hidden agenda. Hmmmm...
LOL good one. What's my agenda? Yours is clear: constant deflection from any effort to reduce tar sands extraction, and oil in general.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
What is the CO2 footprint of producing new plastics to replace those being lanfilled? How about the natural resources are being used to produce the new items? I suppose more plastics produced means more oil that can be sold by our oil-producing provinces so there's economic benefits (and I suspect the source of your motivation), but...

Here's a little info from an article I just came across:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0415144004.htm
Some recycling is more energy efficient than others. We should recycle things that reduce energy consumption, but there is little benefit to recycling for processes that increase GHG emissions, like the plastic bottle house. Similarly, efforts to reduce plastic use by banning bags and straws will likely end up with more plastic produced and more GHG emissions. All so we can feel good about a new Liberal policy.

Quote:
Additionally, MonctonRad's point regarding land use is valid. Maybe in the vast prairie provinces there are still large areas of undeveloped lands on which it is cheap to dump garbage, but that's not the case in all parts of the country - and even less-so in the more populous areas of the world. Many places have learned long ago that the world isn't a limitless dumping ground for all the crap that humans produce. Presumably Alberta will eventually learn that as well.
We may have lots of space out here but Calgary has three landfills within its limits and does not need to replace them for decades. We are going to burn up the planet well before we run out of space to landfill things, so it is entirely sensible to dedicate our efforts to reducing CO2 use, not to increase the space we have available by a meaningless amount.

Again I want to say I am not cheerleading for landfills, but they are the 'default' option. Any alternative disposal must be compared to that, and if they do not result in a net reduction in CO2 emissions, there is little point of disposing something that way. And the easiest way of achieving this goal is to price the negative effects.

Or we could just have the government throw darts at a policy board, or take votes on what everyone's best guess at what the best way to reduce environmental damage is, even if it is based on no empirical evidence. Personally, I prefer policy that is effective.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Some recycling is more energy efficient than others. We should recycle things that reduce energy consumption, but there is little benefit to recycling for processes that increase GHG emissions, like the plastic bottle house. Similarly, efforts to reduce plastic use by banning bags and straws will likely end up with more plastic produced and more GHG emissions. All so we can feel good about a new Liberal policy.

We may have lots of space out here but Calgary has three landfills within its limits and does not need to replace them for decades. We are going to burn up the planet well before we run out of space to landfill things, so it is entirely sensible to dedicate our efforts to reducing CO2 use, not to increase the space we have available by a meaningless amount.

Again I want to say I am not cheerleading for landfills, but they are the 'default' option. Any alternative disposal must be compared to that, and if they do not result in a net reduction in CO2 emissions, there is little point of disposing something that way. And the easiest way of achieving this goal is to price the negative effects.

Or we could just have the government throw darts at a policy board, or take votes on what everyone's best guess at what the best way to reduce environmental damage is, even if it is based on no empirical evidence. Personally, I prefer policy that is effective.
I can understand your reasoning, but I do see you drawing some conclusions without substantiation, like:
- "there is little benefit to recycling for processes that increase GHG emissions, like the plastic bottle house"
I did not see data to support the statement that those materials are recycled using a less-efficient method that increases GHG. It seems like you are making an assumption here.

- "efforts to reduce plastic use by banning bags and straws will likely end up with more plastic produced"
You don't provide your reasoning that banning bags and straws will result in increased plastic production - your statement seems counterintuitive.

- "Calgary has three landfills within its limits and does not need to replace them for decades"
You bypassed my and MR's assertion that in the Maritimes, we don't have the luxury of huge plots of land for mass landfills. It may not be an issue for Calgary, but it's an issue for us.

I think you're looking at this from a 'reduce CO2 at all costs' point of view, similar to the environmentalists I've heard who are campaigning to battle climate change with a Second World War mentality. I can't argue with this strategy, as it appears to be the best way to accomplish that singular goal.

I tend to look at things with a more balanced point of view, in that we need to consider other environmental issues along with the CO2 issue. In the end, we don't want to have traded one problem for another, i.e. reduce climate change while ignoring the other effects of pollution on people and wildlife.

I don't entirely disagree with your statements, but I don't entirely agree either. I think we can accomplish our CO2 goals without dumping everything into the landfill, we just have to think more carefully about it.

The article I linked to in a previous post also suggested that maybe we need to change the formulation of plastics away from petroleum-based to bio-based. This is an example that shows there could be better options out there, that need to be explored.

I also don't agree with the current governments random plastic ban. I had posted extensively elsewhere in this thread that plastic bag bans are not the best alternative, and that the issue is more complex than that. But the government is looking for the most popular and easiest way out.

There are smarter and more balanced ways to deal with these issues, but it seems most people are involved in an extreme-left vs extreme-right battle, which leaves those of us who have more centered views caught in the middle of a senseless political struggle, while very few of the real problems actually get dealt with. The situation doesn't seem to be improving...

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Jun 28, 2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 2:22 AM

Quote:
There is a trick/pattern that lazy, dimwitted, propagandists use, and that is that they try to accuse the other person of doing what they're doing.
Quote:
You’re here to do a job, and you’re not going to quit, or suddenly become informed or intelligent, so this is all you’re going to do, over, and over, and over, again.
From the very same post no less. Priceless!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 2:23 AM

Also, and again: am I alone in finding it hilarious that the guy with the two months old account is accusing someone who's been a participant for 12 years and counting of being a troll who's only here because he's paid? Pure nonsense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada