HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:44 PM
Closed account

City Center 4-23-2015
Concrete pumper getting ready to start concrete work on decking. Tower crane will be free standing and over 300 feet. It will be located just to left of the pumper so as to be able to take loads from both streets.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:26 PM
Closed account

CradlePoint took the 4th floor space that Idaho Power had in Boise Place. I am not a fan of the rendering, as it looks like a building put on top of a warehouse.

I do like the idea of the ballpark near the new CWI campus for them to use, and maybe shared parking. I hope the building design has big windows and outdoor spaces facing the river. I bet there is a rush to crab adjoining land for new businesses with 7,000 people needing food and other services.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 2:11 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
CradlePoint took the 4th floor space that Idaho Power had in Boise Place. I am not a fan of the rendering, as it looks like a building put on top of a warehouse.

I do like the idea of the ballpark near the new CWI campus for them to use, and maybe shared parking. I hope the building design has big windows and outdoor spaces facing the river. I bet there is a rush to crab adjoining land for new businesses with 7,000 people needing food and other services.

i agree about the rendering. it's "okay," but represents a very annoying trend of developers designing structures that look shorter than they really are to appease the nimbys. the veltex building is a good example... it's a 5-floor building that doesn't LOOK like a 5-floor building.

but like i said, it's "okay," and that area does need more "okays" than "dirt and weeds" as long as it also gets more "WOW's" too.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
i agree about the rendering. it's "okay," but represents a very annoying trend of developers designing structures that look shorter than they really are to appease the nimbys. the veltex building is a good example... it's a 5-floor building that doesn't LOOK like a 5-floor building.

but like i said, it's "okay," and that area does need more "okays" than "dirt and weeds" as long as it also gets more "WOW's" too.
If they wanted to make the CradlePoint Building look slightly taller all they'd have to do is remove the red brick from the second floor. Keeping it only on the first floor. But in the end, it'd still just be an "okay" Building.

the thing about nimbys is that you can never appease them. If they don't complain about the height, they'll complain about the lack of parking. If their view isn't obstructed, it'll be about the financing. etc...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 1:03 AM
Closed account

City Center Tower Crane

ESI engineer gave me the following information on Main Street and crane:

There will be 3 lanes open down main, and the 4th lane will be used as a ‘drop off lane’ probably a valet lane, overflow bus stop, etc. exact use yet to be identified. May also be used for Commuter ride drop off location.

We set the tower crane base, and placed the concrete footing, just over 200 cubic yards. Tower crane will erect the first week of may, charge up your camera batteries, it will be fun to watch.
Concrete was placed this week, first section is installed. It is more toward costa vida on west side. Sawtooth, get your camera ready.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Apr 25, 2015 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 2:46 PM

An article in the Statesman this morning with more reaction on the CWI purchase: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...mpus.html?rh=1

It will be really interesting to see how this part of town develops.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 3:58 PM
Closed account

Aerial map of West End showing large vacant lots. Multipurpose stadium would fit nicely, and new apartment blocks and restaurants would really change the area if CWI is built.

Google maps

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 8:30 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakor21 View Post
Doesn't say anything about the new building they are planning or were planning... more or less suggest future expansion in the Boise Plaza building. So I am speculating that that rendering may not happen but who knows..
My company does telecommunication work for Cradlepoint. You are correct in saying they have/are/plan to expand inside the Boise Plaza. I haven't really heard from the horses mouth on the immediate plan for the building in the rendering but I have a feeling it's not a priority for them. They seem content in the Boise Plaza at this moment.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 4:35 PM

I know it's been mentioned that ESI has no plans for a construction cam for the City Center Plaza project, but I was noticing that there's a camera affixed to the top of the southwest corner of 8th and Main that seems to be pointed in the general vicinity of Grove Plaza. It's definitely not an ACHD camera, and I don't think it's a CCDC camera. I don't know if BPD has webcams in the city, but if they do that would seem like an odd place for one because it's probably too far away to capture detail needed for IDing a suspect. I wonder if the "no plans" comment that was referred to previously was a coy non-denial denial... one can hope at least

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 11:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGlavin View Post
I know it's been mentioned that ESI has no plans for a construction cam for the City Center Plaza project, but I was noticing that there's a camera affixed to the top of the southwest corner of 8th and Main that seems to be pointed in the general vicinity of Grove Plaza. It's definitely not an ACHD camera, and I don't think it's a CCDC camera. I don't know if BPD has webcams in the city, but if they do that would seem like an odd place for one because it's probably too far away to capture detail needed for IDing a suspect. I wonder if the "no plans" comment that was referred to previously was a coy non-denial denial... one can hope at least
The HD camera atop 8th&Main belongs to KTVB channel 7.
KIVI channel 6 uses the camera atop the Grove Hotel. Watching their weather report it pans right at City Center project.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Apr 27, 2015 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 11:56 PM
Closed account

Sun shinning down though hole in first floor decking about in the middle of the west side of Clearwater Analytics showing concrete footing and first section of tower crane. 4-26-2015

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:31 PM
All man. Half nuts.

two... yes TWO! things:

1 - did you guys notice in the Statesman article about the CWI campus that David Hale will soon be announcing another new project near downtown? i'm presuming it's a residential project, but hopefully we get more info soon.

2 - the ParkCenter lot is now fenced off and there's activity on it. so far they're just pushing dirt around, but it's a good sign that perhaps that development will be constructed at long last.

this concludes your TWO thing update.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
two... yes TWO! things:

1 - did you guys notice in the Statesman article about the CWI campus that David Hale will soon be announcing another new project near downtown? i'm presuming it's a residential project, but hopefully we get more info soon.

2 - the ParkCenter lot is now fenced off and there's activity on it. so far they're just pushing dirt around, but it's a good sign that perhaps that development will be constructed at long last.

this concludes your TWO thing update.

Rumor has it that David Hale is building a townhouse/commercial complex on Idaho between 16th & 17th

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccampbell View Post
Rumor has it that David Hale is building a townhouse/commercial complex on Idaho between 16th & 17th
That's a great site... next to the sketchy Cabana. The other parcel that's across the way is also really ripe.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
URS sign off Washington Plaza. It has changed it's name to AECOM. A huge construction development company.

http://www.aecom-urs.com/?from=header
They've done some pretty cool projects! Hopefully they'll invest in Boise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGlavin View Post
That's a great site... next to the sketchy Cabana. The other parcel that's across the way is also really ripe.
I've been wondering if that ugly lot would ever get developed. It's had that for sale sign on the lot for a while now. KBOI better not fight this project like they did with the last multistory Apartment building that was proposed just north of them. It's a shame that that lot still hasn't been developed.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

This is a really great photo. I have eaten at the sushi restaurant up the escalators in that building when I've been in Boise. 8th Street is a really nice street for pedestrians and sidewalk seating at restaurants and I wish my city had a street as cool as this one.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 7:33 PM
All man. Half nuts.

one, yes ONE! thing.

there's now a trailer on The Disctrict at Parkcenter site, and activity continues.

i haven't been able to chase down any renderings of the final proposal, but here's what i could find of the site plan (assuming this is final):

and yes, this concludes your ONE thing. today. for now.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 9:03 PM

Two things...
There are some B&W renderings of the new The District at ParkCenter project - I posted one at http://bit.ly/BoiseDev

and on that note - a new email newsletter of Boise Development notes from me is starting up - you can sign up here http://eepurl.com/bir0SP

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 9:18 PM

Good find Boisebro.

Here is the link to the City of Boise with sketches of the proposals for The District. They are dated 2012 and 2013 so who knows if they will be amended.

Click on the "Documents" tab.
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH12-00038

I typed in 501 E Parkcenter to see more info:

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...mits.aspx?id=1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West